Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I really have no issue bringing Hall back. The problem I really have is does he sign a team friendly deal. Personally dollar wise I wouldn't want to pay him much more than RNH, but I have my doubts he'd sign for that kind of money.
Yup, comes down to him wanting to play for the cup or make his money.

COL is pretty much the only team where he can have both.

We can pitch him a spot on wing on McD line but he can't be making Draisaitl money.

Reactions: joestevens29

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yup, comes down to him wanting to play for the cup or make his money.

COL is pretty much the only team where he can have both.

We can pitch him a spot on wing on McD line but he can't be making Draisaitl money.

For sure. I don't blame him for earning whatever he can now either though.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Hall signs here, he'll play with McDavid for awhile but will end up playing with Drai.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't know, I think he and McDavid would work well now and would probably complement eachother much like McDavid & Draisaitl. I mean I would never break up Nuge-Drai-Yamo, they just find too much success.
I don’t think so at all. Draisaitl’s hockey sense is through the roof. Hall is a pure north south player who relies on his speed and relentlessness. He’s not going to find those sweet spots where McDavid wants him he’s going to do what he’s always done. Hall isn’t a player who adapts to his line mates they adapt to him and McDavid isn’t adapting to anyone.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'd rather see Hall with Draisaitl and RNH with Mcdavid.

There are many more reasons to avoid Hall than have him. He is too expensive. He is weak defensively. He may be a locker room cancer. We need a third line center/line driver far more.

But even more than those is the chemistry factor and where he plays in the lineup.

We know Hall has decent chemistry with Nuge and Draisaitl. But we also KNOW Hall is brutal with McDavid. Anyone with a decent memory should be able to recall how terrible those two were together. It was oil and water. It was tried to death and simply did not work. Yakupov was significantly better than Hall with McDavid... Yakupov.

Nuge and Draisaitl have far more chemistry than Nuge/Draisaitl and Hall. Right now splitting the DRY line would be monumentally stupid. Putting McDavid and Hall together foolish/definition of insanity. It's been done and is very unlikely to work.

That leaves Hall on a line with Kassian (lol) and Haas. Maybe they could bring Gagner back to center and it could be the "accidentally" smashed each other in the face with a stick line.

Or they go for the rare as Hens teeth 3 offensive lines.

McDavid Kassian +?
Draisaitl Yama +?
Nuge Hall +?

Imo Nuge is the center that best worked with Hall by far.

With our cap restrictions the rest of the forward lineup would be league min guys.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There are many more reasons to avoid Hall than have him. He is too expensive. He is weak defensively. He may be a locker room cancer. We need a third line center/line driver far more.

But even more than those is the chemistry factor and where he plays in the lineup.

We know Hall has decent chemistry with Nuge and Draisaitl. But we also KNOW Hall is brutal with McDavid. Anyone with a decent memory should be able to recall how terrible those two were together. It was oil and water. It was tried to death and simply did not work. Yakupov was significantly better than Hall with McDavid... Yakupov.

Nuge and Draisaitl have far more chemistry than Nuge/Draisaitl and Hall. Right now splitting the DRY line would be monumentally stupid. Putting McDavid and Hall together foolish/definition of insanity. It's been done and is very unlikely to work.

That leaves Hall on a line with Kassian (lol) and Haas. Maybe they could bring Gagner back to center and it could be the "accidentally" smashed each other in the face with a stick line.

McDavid Kassian +?
Draisaitl Yama +?
Nuge Hall +?

With our cap restrictions the rest of the forward lineup would be league min guys.

I highly doubt he’s a locker room cancer. He’s always been popular in the locker room, the bad stories you hear about him are from fans out at bars during his early years. All his teammates say good things about him. He’s nearing 30 so I’m sure he’s matured. Anyways, signing Hall would be wishful thinking since we don’t have the cap space, even if he took a discount.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still fully believe Holland and Treliving end up in a bidding war for Holtby, I don't want to pay him though.

The Oilers have no money to spend once they re-sign their RFA's, sign Sheahan or his replacement, Ennis and add a goalie. In fact, that might not even be feasible. They can't sign Hall, Holtby or even an average 3rd line center unless they shed some serious cap.

Personally, I'd be much more interested in signing somebody like Haula or Soderberg than Hall or Holtby even if they had the money to sign one of the latter two.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm personally not a big believer in spending big $ on a goaltender. I strongly believe that a big chunk of the goaltenders success is a product of the system (with a few elite exceptions). I believe that most teams who win the cup, could probably accomplish it with almost any starting goaltender.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm personally not a big believer in spending big $ on a goaltender. I strongly believe that a big chunk of the goaltenders success is a product of the system (with a few elite exceptions). I believe that most teams who win the cup, could probably accomplish it with almost any starting goaltender.

I don't think "any" starting goaltender would win a cup. However, i agree that an above average goaltender (top 15) is probably what's necessary.

The only below average goalie that won a cup in the last 10 years would probably be Niemi in 2010 with Chicago.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think "any" starting goaltender would win a cup. However, i agree that an above average goaltender (top 15) is probably what's necessary.

The only below average goalie that won a cup in the last 10 years would probably be Niemi in 2010 with Chicago.
Murray I don’t consider a top 15 guy. A below average guy can win but they need to get hot at the right time.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Never breaking up "Nuge-Drai-Yamo" because of how good they were together for a segmented 2 month period is a lot like saying you'd never break up Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian because of how good they were for like 14 months. And then December 2019 happened and they were awful. Nobody really has set in stone lines anymore. Even the best ones are often broken apart and reassembled in different ways.

What I like about Taylor Hall is it gives the Oilers lots of options for pairs. Nuge-McDavid & Hall-Draisaitl, Hall-McDavid & Nuge-Draisatil, McDavid-Draisaitl and Hall-Nuge. The literal only combo we have any reason to think doesn't work is Hall-McDavid, and that was only because it didn't in the first 6 games of McDavid's career. Hall has excelled with Draisaitl and Nuge as his centres. Draisaitl has excelled with Hall and Nuge as his wingers. McDavid has excelled... every second of his life.

I don't know if the money could ever work now, though.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The Oilers have no money to spend once they re-sign their RFA's, sign Sheahan or his replacement, Ennis and add a goalie. In fact, that might not even be feasible. They can't sign Hall, Holtby or even an average 3rd line center unless they shed some serious cap.

Personally, I'd be much more interested in signing somebody like Haula or Soderberg than Hall or Holtby even if they had the money to sign one of the latter two.

the only chance of any significant movement requires buyouts in some form. I would stay the course and get Puljyjarvi back for one year to build his value up if he makes trade him. We need to get Sheehan or trade for Tierney. We need to sign AA to a one year deal. We need to move out Russell after his signing bonus. We need to sign a 1b goalie Like Holtby or trade for Murray and use the Russell saving to cover the increased cost.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ennis - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Hall - Haas - Archibald
Nygard - AA - Neal

Yeah, that's right, Hall on the third line.

This would also be the fastest team we've had since the 80's.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Hall - Haas - Archibald
Nygard - AA - Neal

We would have the money for that for one year and then lose Yamamoto and RNH from Halls contract lol

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I feel like Hall might have to sign a one year deal if he doesn’t like the situations out there for him. The only team I can see doing long term and making sense for him is Colorado

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd rather see Hall with Draisaitl and RNH with Mcdavid.
I'd be happy with whatever combination they come up with.

McDavid, Drai, RNH, Yamo, Hall, Kass?

Who cares! Solid Top 6 with room to bump Kass down.

Edit: That said, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Hall signs back in Edmonton.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

McDavid Kassian +?
Draisaitl Yama +?
Nuge Hall +?

How do you KNOW hall is brutal with McDavid. They barely played together.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Hall - Haas - Archibald
Nygard - AA - Neal

Might as well save the money and go after Marleau instead of Hall if that is where plan on slotting him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How do you KNOW hall is brutal with McDavid. They barely played together.

They played half a season on and off... where were you?

If the actual minutes are low that's just a testimony to how putrid those two played together.

If I remember correctly they played preseason and the start of the season as much as they could. Very painful to watch. Eventually they gave up, 7-8 games straight with grim results, and they went back to it regularly always with very terrible results.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They played half a season on and off... where were you?

If the actual minutes are low that's just a testimony to how putrid those two played together.

If I remember correctly they played preseason and the start of the season as much as they could. Very painful to watch. Eventually they gave up, 7-8 games straight with grim results, and they went back to it regularly always with very terrible results.
I was watching the game, and watched them play very sparingly together.

75 minutes together in 45 games.

Want to see their stats?

56.85 cf%
60.00 gf%
67.63 xGF%
67.7 HDCF%
60.0 SCF%

"Putrid" he says

Do you ever think of looking up the stats before embarrassing yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad