Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Reseason Training Camp Opens July 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just think with the cap not going up, theres literally no chance of Hall signing here. Unless hes willing to sign for like 3mil or something. With his injury history he would be silly to not sign a long term deal.

I think he should just sign with Colorado if he wants to win. Its the best scenerio for him. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Some people just hate being wrong and will do anything to obscure it. Change the discussion, add stuff, subtract stuff, make up stuff.

The crux of this discussion was so overwhelming against him a blind person could see it. A deaf person hear it. A mute person speak it.

With a person unwilling to admit that the overwhelming majority of the discussion is against him it's just better to move on. Nothing you can say or do will change that person. They will focus on being 1% right rather than 99% wrong.
Make up stuff? I have yet to make up anything, I am bringing stats and facts to the table.

You and Messier are over here making up the notion that they played together alot in the first 9 games, when that is FACTUALLY incorrect, yet you both seem to keep ignoring that.

I love the trying to insult me when all you've really brought to the table is "Ha my eyes tell me different"

Judging by most of your posts here, you should see an eye doctor.

Speaking of make stuff up

You remember typing this "But we also KNOW Hall is brutal with McDavid."

good thing we KNOW Yamamoto is brutal with Draisaitl.

Another good one.

"If I remember correctly they played preseason and the start of the season as much as they could. Very painful to watch. Eventually they gave up, 7-8 games straight with grim results, and they went back to it regularly always with very terrible results."

They actually went back to it with very good results, they still barely played at any point during the season.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I still haven't read the previous page because the argument seems really dumb by all sides.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So your argument that they played like shit together (or whatever it is) isn't as good, right?
That's not my argument at all, my argument isnt even that they've played good together, its just that they haven't played a whole lot together.

And the sample size is far to small to say they wont play good together.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I'm just going to assume we're talking about Athanasiou since I haven't bothered read anything beyond this page and dip out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed, the cap space needed to sign Hall just literally doesn’t exist.

You are assuming they sign all RFA? I would be shocked if Benning is brought back if they can’t offload Russell. They have room to try to address 3C if they let him walk I believe.

I think our D going into next year looks like

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Larsson
Russell-Jones
Lagesson/Bouchard/some plug as 7D

You just aren’t bringing Benning back to be a #6 when Jones played well enough this year to be a solid option and you have Bouchard bordering on being NHL ready with a flat cap next year.

People talking about Hall or Holtby, that is literally impossible, we would have to try to find away to get rid of Neal to make room which isn’t happening.

Next year we have Russel, Chiasson, the Pouliot buyout, Sekera buyout dropping a Million, all coming off. That’s 8.5M, and RNH will need a raise, Larsson needs to be replaced or resigned, and Yamamoto is an RFA. Best case Larsson can be replaced by Bouchard and you maybe have 4-5M next offseason to address some holes

There just won’t be room with a flat cap to add any FA into impact positions

Even if they don't re-sign Benning, just re-signing Bear, AA, Sheahan or replacement, Ennis or replacement, Smith or replacement is going to eat up all the cap space even with Benning off the books. They might even have to clear a little more space to fill all 5 of those roster spots, forget any free agents.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Even if they don't re-sign Benning, just re-signing Bear, AA, Sheahan or replacement, Ennis or replacement, Smith or replacement is going to eat up all the cap space even with Benning off the books. They might even have to clear a little more space to fill all 5 of those roster spots, forget any free agents.
Zero chance we go for any real free agents. Our team as it is now is essentially our team for next year except we may send out a couple guys just to be cap compliant

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Zero chance we go for any real free agents. Our team as it is now is essentially our team for next year except we may send out a couple guys just to be cap compliant
I think we're gonna need Benson and Bouchard to make the jump if ready to keep us cap compliant next year with a flat cap.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The following lineup leaves us with 10 mill in cap space

Blank - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - Blank - Neal
Khaira - Haas - Archibald
Nygard

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Blank
Russell - Blank
Jones

Koskinen

So we have 10 mill to resign AA, find a 3c, resign bear, sign or replace Benning and a backup goalie. That's enough to maintain the status quo with no improvments. Moving Russell is critical to make a single roster improvement.

Reactions: nally

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

There are so many teams that will have to make moves to be cap compliant, it’s going to be insanely expensive asset wise to move cap this summer. I’m starting to lean to the fact that we probably won’t be able to unload Russell this summer, the only way I see it is if we move him to a team in need of a dman who has a similarly overpaid 3C they are willing to part with. Moving Benning and Chiasson would be nice as well and I’m guessing they are moveable even if it’s for basically nothing.

The plus side for us is that UFA’s are going to be dirt cheap, guys like Ennis and Green we will probably be able to retain for 1M each for a year. And other mid tier guys around the league who were probably looking for contracts in the 3-5M range will really be getting hammered, that money is basically gone and many teams are having to unload cap just to sign their own RFA’s. I’m hopeful we could get a guy like Haula or Eakin to sign a cheap 1-2 year deal.

If they can unload Chiasson and Benning replacing them with Ennis and Green for a 1M each that’s saving us some cap right there. Russell can be sent down to the AHL and save another 1M and who knows after his bonus is paid out and the writing is on the wall that the team might have to send him down to save cap he might just retire. He’d only be walking away from 1.5M at that point and it might not be worth it to him, it’s possible he just retires.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There are so many teams that will have to make moves to be cap compliant, it’s going to be insanely expensive asset wise to move cap this summer. I’m starting to lean to the fact that we probably won’t be able to unload Russell this summer, the only way I see it is if we move him to a team in need of a dman who has a similarly overpaid 3C they are willing to part with. Moving Benning and Chiasson would be nice as well and I’m guessing they are moveable even if it’s for basically nothing.

The plus side for us is that UFA’s are going to be dirt cheap, guys like Ennis and Green we will probably be able to retain for 1M each for a year. And other mid tier guys around the league who were probably looking for contracts in the 3-5M range will really be getting hammered, that money is basically gone and many teams are having to unload cap just to sign their own RFA’s. I’m hopeful we could get a guy like Haula or Eakin to sign a cheap 1-2 year deal.

If they can unload Chiasson and Benning replacing them with Ennis and Green for a 1M each that’s saving us some cap right there. Russell can be sent down to the AHL and save another 1M and who knows after his bonus is paid out and the writing is on the wall that the team might have to send him down to save cap he might just retire. He’d only be walking away from 1.5M at that point and it might not be worth it to him, it’s possible he just retires.
Benning is an RFA, should just let him walk. Moving Chiasson will be near impossible. Moving Russell is impossible. No team improvements this off season and the next one we have to resign Larsson, RNH and Yamamoto, so no improvements there either lol

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Benning is an RFA, should just let him walk. Moving Chiasson will be near impossible. Moving Russell is impossible. No team improvements this off season and the next one we have to resign Larsson, RNH and Yamamoto, so no improvements there either lol
Yeah but next year we have Russel off the books, Chiasson off, Pouliot buyout off, Sekera buyout penalty drops 1M,That’s 8.5 M right there and the only real replacement you need is Chiasson, who is easily replaced by someone who makes 1M, RNH will probably at most get a 2M raise. Let’s say Yamamoto is bridged around 3.5-4, say a 3-3.5 raise,that leaves you 1.5-2.5M, It’s not a reach to say Larsson is moved, possibly even this offseason to maximize value. You’d hope that one of Bouchard/Jones, cheaper stop gap can be had to try to address other issues. Wouldn’t shock me in the slightest to see Neal bought out next season after the year, his penalty drops significantly and it would save 3.83M against the cap.

You move Larsson and replace him with say Bouchard, you buyout Neal, next year, that would give you close to 8M next offseason to address needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah but next year we have Russel off the books, Chiasson off, Pouliot buyout off, Sekera buyout penalty drops 1M,That’s 8.5 M right there and the only real replacement you need is Chiasson, who is easily replaced by someone who makes 1M, RNH will probably at most get a 2M raise. Let’s say Yamamoto is bridged around 3.5-4, that leaves you 1.5M. It’s not a reach to say Larsson is moved, possibly even this offseason to maximize value. You’d hope that one of Bouchard/Jones, cheaper stop gap can be had to try to address other issues. Wouldn’t shock me in the slightest to see Neal bought out next season after the year, his penalty drops significantly and it would save 3.83M against the cap.

You move Larsson and replace him with say Bouchard, you buyout Neal, next year, that would give you close to 8M next offseason to address needs.
Right now as things stand we have 32.7 mill in space NEXT off season. This is our current roster with that space

Blank - Draisaitl - Blank
Blank - Blank - Neal
Blank - Blank - Archibald
Blank

Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Blank
Jones - Blank
Blank

Koskinen
Blank

Bear @ 2.75
Nuge @ 7
Yamamoto @ 4.5
Bouchard can plug in at his 900k
AA @ 3 mill

That leaves us with 14 mill for a Larsson replacement, backup goalie, 3c, middle 6 winger, 3 middlen6 forwards. It's doable but it will be extremely tight. my additions we make will be small sub 3 mill players cause it's all we can afford. Big player hunting is impossible for this team.

Reactions: Aerchon

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The following lineup leaves us with 10 mill in cap space

RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Chiasson - Blank - Neal
Khaira - Haas - Archibald
Nygard

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Blank
Russell - Blank
Jones

Koskinen

So we have 10 mill to resign AA, find a 3c, resign bear, sign or replace Benning and a backup goalie. That's enough to maintain the status quo with no improvments. Moving Russell is critical to make a single roster improvement.

That's about how I see it too.

Something along the lines of:

Ennis/AA-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
Chiasson-Sheahan upgrade-Archibald
AA/Ennis-Haas-Neal
Nygard, Russell

Klefbom-Bouchard
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Lagesson

Might be what we're looking at for even strength lines and pairings next year. I also think it's imperative to find Russell a new home, and personally I think Khaira crapped the bed enough this year he'll get dealt for a pick at the draft.

I can also see a scenario that AA gets traded again for a 3C, but personally I'd keep him another year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's about how I see it too.

Something along the lines of:

Ennis/AA-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
Chiasson-Sheahan upgrade-Archibald
AA/Ennis-Haas-Neal
Nygard, Russell

Klefbom-Bouchard
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Lagesson

Might be what we're looking at for even strength lines and pairings next year. I also think it's imperative to find Russell a new home, and personally I think Khaira crapped the bed enough this year he'll get dealt for a pick at the draft.

I can also see a scenario that AA gets traded again for a 3C, but personally I'd keep him another year.
I can't see us moving Russell. His modified NTC and a stale cap means we stuck with him. Also penciling Bouchard anywhere close to our top 4 is a terrible idea. He would need a Bear level off season to do that and even then. That said I do see him in the lineup, history shows that if he isn't, it's a bad side for a guy of his status.

That said that lineup at best performs as well as this team did. Unfortunate we don't have the room or prospects to take another step but that's life I guess.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can't see us moving Russell. His modified NTC and a stale cap means we stuck with him. Also penciling Bouchard anywhere close to our top 4 is a terrible idea. He would need a Bear level off season to do that and even then. That said I do see him in the lineup, history shows that if he isn't, it's a bad side for a guy of his status.

That said that lineup at best performs as well as this team did. Unfortunate we don't have the room or prospects to take another step but that's life I guess.

Probably 2/3 of the teams in the league are in the same boat now, not being able to upgrade and in many cases having to downgrade or rely more on lesser players. The name of the game will be getting more out of what you’ve got and in that regard I think the Oilers are in a good spot with a coach like Tippett, who’s been known in the past to get more out of less.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Probably 2/3 of the teams in the league are in the same boat now, not being able to upgrade and in many cases having to downgrade or rely more on lesser players. The name of the game will be getting more out of what you’ve got and in that regard I think the Oilers are in a good spot with a coach like Tippett, who’s been known in the past to get more out of less.
That's fair. Although I feel like a lot of teams are better situated with their forward prospect depth to bring in cheap efficient players where our forward prospect options are imo league worst. Thankfully our defensive prospect depth is decent

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Right now as things stand we have 32.7 mill in space NEXT off season. This is our current roster with that space

Blank - Draisaitl - Blank
Blank - Blank - Neal
Blank - Blank - Archibald
Blank

Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Blank
Jones - Blank
Blank

Koskinen
Blank

Bear @ 2.75
Nuge @ 7
Yamamoto @ 4.5
Bouchard can plug in at his 900k
AA @ 3 mill

That leaves us with 14 mill for a Larsson replacement, backup goalie, 3c, middle 6 winger, 3 middlen6 forwards. It's doable but it will be extremely tight. my additions we make will be small sub 3 mill players cause it's all we can afford. Big player hunting is impossible for this team.
If we can bridge Bear then we can also do the same with Yama to get past the flat cap era.
We would also be banking on one or 2 of our AHL forwards making it big and Puljujarvi netting us someone.

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Maksimov\Lavoie\AA-Drai-Yama
McLeod\Benson-xxxx-Neal
yyyy-yyyyy-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Jones- zzzzz

Its really not that bad even if we dont add a big name and develop within. Broberg and 2020 1st would be wild cards as well.

A simple trade like Russell for Mike McLeod should be enough to solve our issues for next 3 years. Save cap and add a cheap 3C\4C.

finding 4th liners or #6\7D shouldn't be too hard.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we can bridge Bear then we can also do the same with Yama to get past the flat cap era.
We would also be banking on one or 2 of our AHL forwards making it big and Puljujarvi netting us someone.

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Maksimov\Lavoie\AA-Drai-Yama
McLeod\Benson-xxxx-Neal
yyyy-yyyyy-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Jones- zzzzz

Its really not that bad even if we dont add a big name and develop within. Broberg and 2020 1st would be wild cards as well.

A simple trade like Russell for Mike McLeod should be enough to solve our issues for next 3 years. Save cap and add a cheap 3C\4C.

finding 4th liners or #6\7D shouldn't be too hard.
Why would anyone trade anything for Russell without value coming back?
If Yamamoto keeps his pace up from this year next year his bridge will be 4.5 mill. His pace is ridiculous.

I see Maksimov as a top 6 option? He hasn't even been an AHL top 6 option. The only guy that has any potential to be a top 6 NHL player in the next 2 years is Benson but that's not likely. Any top 6 forward help needs to come externally as we have nothing in the pipelines with that potential

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That's fair. Although I feel like a lot of teams are better situated with their forward prospect depth to bring in cheap efficient players where our forward prospect options are imo league worst. Thankfully our defensive prospect depth is decent

So we trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness. The forward prospect depth isn’t great but there are a few guys like Benson, Marody, McLeod who could potentially make the jump to a bottom 6 spot next season, it might not be a perfect solution but these are the times that we’re in and many other teams will have to do the same putting guys in spots they might not be totally ready for.

Even before the cap squeeze I believed our roster was going to look much the same as this year with maybe an upgrade at 3C which I think will still be possible. Anyone who thought they were going to go after Hall or make a big deal for another top 6 winger was just kidding themselves.

The plan was always going to be improvement from within. They did a great job of that this season and there’s still lots of room for more next season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness. The forward prospect depth isn’t great but there are a few guys like Benson, Marody, McLeod who could potentially make the jump to a bottom 6 spot next season, it might not be a perfect solution but these are the times that we’re in and many other teams will have to do the same putting guys in spots they might not be totally ready for.

Even before the cap squeeze I believed our roster was going to look much the same as this year with maybe an upgrade at 3C which I think will still be possible. Anyone who thought they were going to go after Hall or make a big deal for another top 6 winger was just kidding themselves.

The plan was always going to be improvement from within. They did a great job of that this season and there’s still lots of room for more next season.
I agree with all that. I stand firm that we have maybe 1 forward prospect left that will make the NHL. Marody imo peaked in his first AHL season. Benson's speed and skating isn't good enough. McLeod has a lot of work to do but could be a bottom 6 center on a couple years. Lavoie is skilled but plays a heavily flawed game so needs a few years there too. Probably have to move one of Samorukov or Broberg for a middle 6 forward type of prospect.

I'm honestly more worried about goaltending cause none of our goalie prospects had a year of improvement. They all regressed for the most part

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I agree with all that. I stand firm that we have maybe 1 forward prospect left that will make the NHL. Marody imo peaked in his first AHL season. Benson's speed and skating isn't good enough. McLeod has a lot of work to do but could be a bottom 6 center on a couple years. Lavoie is skilled but plays a heavily flawed game so needs a few years there too. Probably have to move one of Samorukov or Broberg for a middle 6 forward type of prospect.

I'm honestly more worried about goaltending cause none of our goalie prospects had a year of improvement. They all regressed for the most part

I disagree with some of your assessments, it’s a dangerous proposition writing off a guy like Marody after a down year. He’s still young and could easily put it together, we’re also not expecting him to go from AHL’er to top 6 player, it’s very possible he takes a spot in the bottom 6 next season and is competent. Benson definitely needs work on his skating but luckily improving skating is something our organization has actually been good at the last few years as evidenced by guys like Draisaitl and Bear. McLeod I think could be an adequate 4C next season if needed but I’d rather see him spend another year in the AHL but it’s impossible to know.

We’re not asking these guys to take huge leaps from AHL to productive top 6 NHL’ers, for guys like Benson and Marody were asking them to take the next step in their development, maybe they do maybe they don’t but it’s becoming the time for them to show something and the cap crunch is just helping to create that opportunity. It’ll be the same for many other teams needing to push guys into spots and hoping they can hang on so in many cases our guys will be competing against lesser competition because other teams are in the same position as us or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad