Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | PRussell resigned to a 1-year extension $700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 15, 2017
Moves, moves MOOOVES.

Maybe I pipe dream on some.of these but Oilers need to start competing NOW.

Trade JP to canes with a pick for Foegel. They can build that wjc line Oilers get some speed and jam and finish in middle 6.

Trade Benning +JJ+ Benson to MTL for Domi.

Trade AA and 14th+ Laggeson for Anderson and Korpasalo.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Moves, moves MOOOVES.

Maybe I pipe dream on some.of these but Oilers need to start competing NOW.

Trade JP to canes with a pick for Foegel. They can build that wjc line Oilers get some speed and jam and finish in middle 6.

Trade Benning +JJ+ Benson to MTL for Domi.

Trade AA and 14th+ Laggeson for Anderson and Korpasalo.
This isn't NHL 21 and that last trade is awful.

Reactions: Rufus Aslegard

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ekblad doesnt move a needle. He is average all across the board.

Ekblad would be our best defender since Pronger. Doesn't move the needle? What the heck

I'm a big Ekblad fan but his career has really tapered off and between injuries and his play. I actually think Nurse could end up better with a couple more years of actual growth.

His concussion history alone is worth avoiding at all costs.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm a big Ekblad fan but his career has really tapered off and between injuries and his play. I actually think Nurse could end up better with a couple more years of actual growth.

I feel like Ekblad has been fine on a bad team. 41 points this season and he started playing at 18. He's also only 24. He's been consistent points wise in his career so far. I would trade Nuge away for him, if we manage to get a couple forwards this offseason

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Scoring 35+ points sine he was 18 and now is only 24. Yeah doesn't move a needle at all. What on earth are you talking about?

Has never improved much in his NHL tenure, extremely slow first step and quickness, not a high offensive or defensive hockey IQ. His game looks like a canadian Klefbom. Overrated. Will be overpaid. The typical type of players the Oilers drool over due to draft pedigree.

He doesn't push the pace of play. He is not in the same stratosphere of upcoming dman like Hughes, Makar,Heiskanen, Dahlin.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Ekblad is a better player in almost every facet of the game, not to mention he’s a year younger then Nurse.

Nurse is 25 and has over 300 NHL games, he’s not going to magically become a better player, at this point he is what he is.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Ekblad is a better player in almost every facet of the game, not to mention he’s a year younger then Nurse.

Nurse is 25 and has over 300 NHL games, he’s not going to magically become a better player, at this point he is what he is.

So is Ekblad. OEL other defenseman may be available that are simply better then Ekblad.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't see why Florida would move Ekblad. They need to improve their defence not make it worse.

They would only move him for two reasons:

1. They want to change things up and bring in a different kind of defenceman.

2. They have an internal budget and need to shed some cap.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't see why Florida would move Ekblad. They need to improve their defence not make it worse.

If they’re thinking of moving Ekblad it’s almost certainly because of number 2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Has never improved much in his NHL tenure, extremely slow first step and quickness, not a high offensive or defensive hockey IQ. His game looks like a canadian Klefbom. Overrated. Will be overpaid. The typical type of players the Oilers drool over due to draft pedigree.

He doesn't push the pace of play. He is not in the same stratosphere of upcoming dman like Hughes, Makar,Heiskanen, Dahlin.

He's a different style of Dman like Pietrangelo. Not every Dman is going to be small, fast paced and flashy like Makar, Hughes, Dahlin, Heiskanen etc..

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Concussions are a tricky thing, got to treat it on a case by case basis and have a doctor examine the player, I remember pushing a Jarret Stoll for Patrice Bergeron trade and a handful of Boston fans were down with at the time and the majority of Oiler fans were against it claiming Bergeron was damaged goods and would never to return back to form (I thought it worth the gamble), a decade+ later and the mere thought of that trade ever going down is laughable considering how the 2 players respective careers turned out.

In a similar vein I remember BBO was pushing for bringing in Chara, I was pretty strongly against it thinking his knee injury which was rumored to be fairly serious would hamper his mobility which is the weakest part of his game to begin with and would in turn significantly limit his effectiveness. Fast forward 2 years his knee recovered just fine and he's still providing great minutes at the ripe old age of 43.

Reactions: Aerchon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
In fairness, the proposal of Larsson for Murray+McCann posted here is just as unrealistic.

Maybe.

Rutherford's trying to build around a Cup now around an aging core. He's very publicly verbally criticized his team's compete level and has already moved a #1 to address forward depth. The Pens have two nice finesse pieces at RD with Letang and Marino who came out of nowhere to play 20 minutes/game. There very well could be room for a big, physical pedigreed right handed d-man on a reasonable contract to balance out the d-mix. Add a guy who can play big minutes in the guts of the game that make life around the Pens net uncomfortable in that buzzsaw division. Larsson is quite likely affordable to ultimately resign while still within peak years.

Pretty solid plug and play quality asset for a ready to win franchise. Shaves some potential money off the cap is another consideration with a financial and asset management decision required in net and with a group of RFA's to deal with. Kapanen's in the mix takes up some fixed dollars. Some question if McCann is a winger or prospective 3C on the Penguins with some salary creep happening within a team structure and organization impatient to win now.

Unrealistic ... maybe. Core elements of this deal within realm of possibility? Maybe. Certainty that you or I know for sure ... definitive no.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He has a very good year this year. He has bounced back from injuries well

Reactions: KYams17

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yah maybe but I think Van can still manage it. This provides depth for them for at least the foreseeable future. It only becomes a problem if one guy doesn't want to share the crease or when both guys are paid like starters ie. Montreal.
If they re-sign Markstrom long-term with no-movement protection, they'd have to expose Demko in the expansion draft. I'm sure the Seattle has been watching closely how he perform these past few games.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Im on the same page as you, and I like Barrie as well but I think he’ll be more expensive and I feel like Vatanen is more well rounded, not as highly regarded offensively or as a puck mover but better in his own end while still being a plus in the transition and offensive department. Definitely not a top pairing guy but we have to work with the options we have. We don’t have a stand out defender, Klefbom is a good #2 but I feel like the above blue line is a good mix of guys that could get it done by committee.

You bring him in for a year, see how things go on the blue line and depending what happens he could be a stop gap that maybe you sacrifice in the expansion draft to protect a guy like Jones if he continues to improve and Bear/Bouchard have continued progression.

This is a crazy year with Covid smoking the NHL cap for what could be prospectively two years or longer. With that, I think there could be a salary drag (& term) for the overwhelming number of free agents outside of Pietroangelo ... who I think resigns anyways. Just my gut but I could see Barrie being open to a short-term deal to reset his value. I'm not sure Vatanan is better defensively. He's banged up a lot and offensive numbers aren't superior so presents higher risk to me.

I think the Oil need to change the mix of their top two d pairing but I don't move out anyone unless they can bring in a d-man like we're chatting about to change the mix while not hoping and praying that internal options are ready for deep end development on a team trying to claw into being a credible playoff roster. Klefbom I think will be so much better at 20 minutes than stretched out to 24+ min per game. Paired with a guy who can better distribute and drive offence and this could be a very strong complementing pairing to a developing Nurse and Bear pairing imo.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

I was watching the Steve Dangle podcast and they mentioned that his bonus payments were already made for next season so if he's traded it's likely not until after this season.

Obviously that's just speculation on their part but pretty reasonable speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad