Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | PRussell resigned to a 1-year extension $700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
So we were last at RNH for Laine straight up. Thoughts?

Edit - I see Bryanbryoil is in a foul mood so no farting around in the forums tonight.;)

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
....Or maybe i'm wrong...i swear i had read Elliotte Friedman tweet about changes the NHL was making going forward, but now i can't find anything about it online.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So we were last at RNH for Laine straight up. Thoughts?

Edit - I see Bryanbryoil is in a foul mood so no farting around in the forums tonight.;)

I probably wouldn't do it as I like the DRY line. Why ruin a good thing? (Which is kind of ironic considering Tippett ruined a good thing in the Chicago series)

Reactions: Vagabond

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
My reaction if Nurse is gone:

Trading Nurse would be the DUMBEST thing this team has done since trading Hall. You want another disaster? Because ,that's what you, and all these other Nurse haters on this board/twitter are asking for. You're talking about trading away a player who plays almost 24 minutes a night and increased his point totals each year. His plus minus was also not that bad this year. Who's going to replace that? Benning? Bouchard? Russell?

If you think trading Nurse will have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention to all the other trades this team has made in trading away good dmen. If you seriously think we'll get something worth Darnell Nurse, you are so out to lunch and you will 100% be disappointed.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Trading Nurse would be the DUMBEST thing this team has done since trading Hall. You want another disaster? Because ,that's what you, and all these other Nurse haters on this board/twitter are asking for. You're talking about trading away a player who plays almost 24 minutes a night and increased his point totals each year. His plus minus was also not that bad this year. Who's going to replace that? Benning? Bouchard? Russell?

If you think trading Nurse will have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention to all the other trades this team has made in trading away good dmen. If you seriously think we'll get something worth Darnell Nurse, you are so out to lunch and you will 100% be disappointed.

Calm down.:laugh:

What are we going to do then to get Nurse to improve his decision making?

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
Made a booold off-season plan for the Oilers. I’m fully aware that this will never ever happen, but thought it was fun.

4662CCD9-D71E-4D92-842E-365192504ED7.jpeg

Pros:
-Stacked offensively with some balance. McDavid, Draisaitl and Hall drive a line each. The third line is risky, but if Puljujarvi comes back with some new shine it could work. Haas is a smart and defensively sound player, Hall has elite skill, and Puljujarvi has all the tools; can he put it together and become a decent middle-six goal scoring player? Could flip Nuge and Ennis if you want the DRY line back together, but McDavid needs some skill on his wings.

-The defense is best in many years. Ekman-Larsson could very well bounce back into an undisputable top defenseman in a better environment, I’d even bet on it. He and Larsson have played extremely well together for the Swedish national team.

-Koskinen and Khudobin could likely perform well enough if they play ~ 40 games each.

Cons:
-Still no true 3rd line center. Could it work despite this considering the skill level of the third line? Is McLeod ready to be a defensively responsible 4th line center? Otherwise you have Richardson or someone equal who could be good enough.

-Cap, cap, cap....
It works in the 2 coming seasons. You let Larsson walk next year and use his money for Yamamoto and Nuges’ extensions. You’ll have to fill out the extra forwards and some defensemen with cheap contracts. Maybe it works with replacement level players considering the quality of the rest of the group?

The real cap hell will come the 2022 off-season when many good young players need extensions. Impossible to keep everyone without letting one/some of the core players leave.

-Money distribution. Salary wise, this roster is very very top-heavy. Is it really possible to achieve balance in the long-term with your 5 best players making 42.5 M$? Doubtful, look at Toronto for instance. Maybe the need for balance isn’t as large though with a top defenseman like Ekman-Larsson and four top offensive guys + cheap, young talent on the roster? Certainly risky.

-You’ll either lose a good current asset in the Expansion draft or spend valuable futures to avoid it.

Signings:

Puljujarvi 2 yrs @ 1.2M
Hall 5 yrs @ 7M
Bear 3 yrs @ 3M
Khudobin 1 or 2 yrs @ 3M
Lagesson 1 yr @ 800K
Richardson 1 yr @ 900 K
Ennis 1 yr @ 1M

Still have a little over 1M in cap space for bonus purposes.

Trades:
E0ABB9D2-F2C8-4D36-BD89-E24E054EBD9B.jpeg

Admittedly, I haven’t looked to much into the other teams cap situations, but the trades including Chiasson, Russell, Athanasiou, Khaira and Benning are more to be seen as examples. I’d be prepared to add more significant assets to move Russell and Chiasson with a roster this good. Russell would definitely not waive for Detroit, but once again it’s only example. I’m sure some team would acquire him and his salary if a mid-level asset is included. Maybe there are no takers for Athanasiou and Benning at their qualifying offers due to the flat cap. In that case: let them walk. It sucks, but with a roster like this, we’re still good enough to contend in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Once again, I’m not expecting to see this happen, but it was a fun (and time-consuming!) exercise.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Every fanbase is probably making such proposals.
Why would a GM give up picks and cap space when comparable players will be available via free agency or waivers in a couple months?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My proposal based on the reported opinion that Oil may rid of 2Dmen:
To CHI
Klefbom+Larsson

To EDM
DeBrincat+Strome

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Calm down.:laugh:

What are we going to do then to get Nurse to improve his decision making?

Let him continue developing and gaining experience. He's 25 and has been improving every year, Dmen are rarely a finished product until they're in their late 20s. The exception is elite dmen like Doughty, Nurse was never that. There is no substitute for experience and you're kidding yourself if you think there is. He's progressed to taking on the toughs, with a rookie partner, and was surviving. Him and Bear had this team 2nd in the division, we haven't had a pairing capable of that since Sekera got hurt. We need a top pairing RD to play with Klefbom, the Nurse and Bear pairing still has a TON of room to grow given their age and talent. They just need the reps. Believe it or not but the other teams top players are going to force even the best D into making mistakes.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
My proposal based on the reported opinion that Oil may rid of 2Dmen:
To CHI
Klefbom+Larsson

To EDM
DeBrincat+Strome

Unless the Oilers are getting a very good D elsewhere the secret 3rd piece to that deal is likely a lottery pick. I don't think it's wise to expect Jones and Bouchard to be a good second pairing, at least not off the hop. Scoring isnt this teams biggest issue.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Unless the Oilers are getting a very good D elsewhere the secret 3rd piece to that deal is likely a lottery pick. I don't think it's wise to expect Jones and Bouchard to be a good second pairing, at least not off the hop. Scoring isnt this teams biggest issue.
Yeh. It really wouldn't be the only deal Holland would make. It would just mean that we are keeping Russell for next year.

Nurse-
Jones-Bear
Russell-Bouchard
Benning

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
(Prediction no actually basis on real information)

Wowza! Edmonton Oilers will move out two out of their Top 4 d-men, NHL insider predicts | Edmonton Journal

They are saying 2 of our top 4 our gone next season. I don't know whether to be excited or nervous...
That is interesting considering that the "plan" would be to ship out one to make room for Bouchard or Jones.

So I assume Lawton thinks that we not only want to make room for Bouchard, but we also want to trade for a new top 4 D, or sign one.

So honestly I think it's more of a fantasy of his than a real impression of what will happen.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That is interesting considering that the "plan" would be to ship out one to make room for Bouchard or Jones.

So I assume Lawton thinks that we not only want to make room for Bouchard, but we also want to trade for a new top 4 D, or sign one.

So honestly I think it's more of a fantasy of his than a real impression of what will happen.
Jones hasn't shown that he would slot in above Nurse or Klefbom, so the only person you'd need to ship out to make room for him is Russell. Same thing for Bouchard. The only person he'd fight with for a spot is Benning. Ship off Benning for a 3rd/4th line forward and then let Bouchard dip his toes in the NHL. If he thrives, you can start to give him top 4 minutes and potentially move Larsson at the deadline for F help. Otherwise you keep Larsson for the playoff run and worry about an extension/replacement in the summer.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Jones hasn't shown that he would slot in above Nurse or Klefbom, so the only person you'd need to ship out to make room for him is Russell. Same thing for Bouchard. The only person he'd fight with for a spot is Benning. Ship off Benning for a 3rd/4th line forward and then let Bouchard dip his toes in the NHL. If he thrives, you can start to give him top 4 minutes and potentially move Larsson at the deadline for F help. Otherwise you keep Larsson for the playoff run and worry about an extension/replacement in the summer.

This is the correct take. Move out Russell and Benning to open spots for Bouchard and Jones with Lagesson (or a cheap vet) at 7.

Although, I would also move Larrson or Klefbom (not both) if there was a good hockey trade there.

The way I see it, Larsson could be replaced by someone in FA. When you move him depends on whether you could maximize the return for him now or later in the season.

As for Klefbom, I would move him, but it would take a bit of an overpay from another team. That is the only way I would move Klefbom, but I am open to moving him.

I do not consider moving Bear or Nurse (unless there is a ridiculous overpay for either).

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
The question running thru my head is how many new players will we have next season and how many are ship out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad