Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | PRussell resigned to a 1-year extension $700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What would Florida want though?

I think the better question is why would they trade him? I don’t see it but my best guess would be that the new GM wants to do his own little rebuild and ownership is ok with shedding salary. After bob who’s untradeable, Ekblad is the biggest ticket, brings back the most in return, but also probably has the biggest effect on your team. With him and their current team they’ll probably be stuck in that middling team just missing the playoffs, without him they’re a lottery team and in line for some high picks for a year or two.

But to answer your question they’d probably be looking for picks and high end prospects. Id have no problem starting with our 1st this year +Broberg.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What would Florida want though?
I'm not super familiar with Bill Zito, but he did have a lot of Europeans as an agent (particularly Finns) and he did run CBJ's AHL team, though in looking at them I'm not drawing a strong read on his proclivities, he didn't seem to have an issue with signing smaller guys, but in the AHL a lot of the best players are skilled midgets who while talented are lacking that extra something to push through to NHL success. While I'm not certain of it, based on his history I think he's a bit more inclined to take on a project player he sees upside in than Tallon was & I'm guessing based on who he was an agent for he values mobile puck moving D more than most.

The above clues might point to him being interested in Puljujarvi, but Jarmo never seemed overly fond of him and he might hold a similar opinion to his old boss.

Team needs and composition wise, I'd assume they'd be very interested in RNH and have moderate interest in C. Jones & AA. I highly doubt a fresh faced GM would be bold enough to trade any of their core though before he has time to evaluate. The boldest roster players I could see this GM trading in the offseason are Stralman, Connolly, & Vatrano (certainly not enticing enough to land RNH). Prospect wise he might value certain young players very differently and probably holds CBJ's scouting reports in higher regard than Florida's own scouting reports.

Zito actually has a ton of room to reshape his roster through free agency with only 6 forwards signed for next year , so I'm doubtful he'll make big moves early considering how much he already has on his plate (Unsigned RFA's Saarela and Wallmark are likely in the mix to earn a NHL job, as well as prospect Owen Tippett).

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gregor said yesterday Murray’s value is a 2nd or a 3rd+ something else and wouldn’t return much more than Allen.

Hopefully that dumps cold water on the idiot Pens fans that think they’re getting Nurse of Klefbom for their goalie that was damn near unplayable for long stretches this season - like gifting them Marino for nothing wasn’t enough charity. “He’s still got it!” Bullshit. If he still had it he wouldn’t be on the next train out of town.
2nd and a 3rd was Talbot's cost. I'd think Murray is worth more than that. Not by a ton mind you, but a bit more

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not super familiar with Bill Zito, but he did have a lot of Europeans as an agent (particularly Finns) and he did run CBJ's AHL team, though in looking at them I'm not drawing a strong read on his proclivities, he didn't seem to have an issue with signing smaller guys, but in the AHL a lot of the best players are skilled midgets who while talented are lacking that extra something to push through to NHL success. While I'm not certain of it, based on his history I think he's a bit more inclined to take on a project player he sees upside in than Tallon was & I'm guessing based on who he was an agent for he values mobile puck moving D more than most.

The above clues might point to him being interested in Puljujarvi, but Jarmo never seemed overly fond of him and he might hold a similar opinion to his old boss.

Team needs and composition wise, I'd assume they'd be very interested in RNH and have moderate interest in C. Jones & AA. I highly doubt a fresh faced GM would be bold enough to trade any of their core though before he has time to evaluate. The boldest roster players I could see this GM trading in the offseason are Stralman, Connolly, & Vatrano (certainly not enticing enough to land RNH). Prospect wise he might value certain young players very differently and probably holds CBJ's scouting reports in higher regard than Florida's own scouting reports.

Zito actually has a ton of room to reshape his roster through free agency with only 6 forwards signed for next year , so I'm doubtful he'll make big moves early considering how much he already has on his plate (Unsigned RFA's Saarela and Wallmark are likely in the mix to earn a NHL job, as well as prospect Owen Tippett).

Apprenticed under an excellent GM.

Rookie GM but no babe in the woods with agency experience and time in Columbus. Will be very, very interesting to see how Zito settles in with an inherited veteran big money and term Cup winner head coach who likely has some strong opinions on the roster in Florida. I imagine Coach Q will have significant input into player personnel.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Really leery about Murray considering his struggles.

If we could find a way to shake Domi out of MTL for a decent price, I'd be super happy with that.

Reactions: mullet

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd take a chance on Murray. I know goalies are voodoo but he is still pretty young for a goalie (26) and when he is on his game he is one of the best in the league. I'd be very confident with a Murray/Koskinen tandem.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Apprenticed under an excellent GM.

Rookie GM but no babe in the woods with agency experience and time in Columbus. Will be very, very interesting to see how Zito settles in with an inherited veteran big money and term Cup winner head coach who likely has some strong opinions on the roster in Florida. I imagine Coach Q will have significant input into player personnel.

I thought the same thing, Zito has the scouting and contract end and Q lets him know where he wants to go with the roster. They’ve got a little money to play with and cheap UFA’s. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Florida much improved next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Has never improved much in his NHL tenure, extremely slow first step and quickness, not a high offensive or defensive hockey IQ. His game looks like a canadian Klefbom. Overrated. Will be overpaid. The typical type of players the Oilers drool over due to draft pedigree.

He doesn't push the pace of play. He is not in the same stratosphere of upcoming dman like Hughes, Makar,Heiskanen, Dahlin.

Well he most certainly doesn't have their dynamic skating. I don't see him often but he always struck me as a Shea Weber type of a defenseman.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I don't think I've ever seen an off-season with so many options for Goaltending. From drafting a possible Franchise goalie in Askarov, a possibility of Lehner, Markstrom, and Holtby as UFAs, to possible team trades of Price, Fluery and Murray. Market seems flooded.

I know most of those options are not available to us but I do feel we might have a good chance to pick up a quality goaltender this offseason.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah you gotta figure now MAF is a goner in Vegas with Lehner taking them to round 3 minimum.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think if Markstrom or Lehner go to free agency you have to at least consider it even if it means 9-10 million invested in the goalie tandem.

I wouldn't touch Fleury unless it was for Neal and even then I might want retention or a sweetener.

Looks like there's going to be a ton of options available in both trade and free agency, should drive down the price on guys like Murray and Andersen if those are preferred choices. I'm not really sold on trading for either.

Side note - Habs fans seem to think Domi is a premium asset and should return guys like Ehlers or Nurse, that seems insane to me.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd take a chance on Murray. I know goalies are voodoo but he is still pretty young for a goalie (26) and when he is on his game he is one of the best in the league. I'd be very confident with a Murray/Koskinen tandem.
I looked through every team & I counted 15 teams who might have use for him, most of those teams are in greater need than us for a goalie upgrade, I'd guess we get outbid, not sure I want to pay the price for a premium tandem partner in terms of assets and in term of salary dollars.

Going through the numbers it's surprising the number of starting goalies who've fallen off of late and sorting the UFA goalie list by Sv% is kind of funny with Cam Talbot sitting right there at #3 after Khudobin and Lehner.

The UFA goalie I've been advocating for is Greiss, seems like he's good enough to challenge Koski, but not good enough to cost a starting goalie salary.

I'm curious what Holtby will get on the open market after 2 seasons of back-up numbers and the most recent season being AHL numbers. My gut says he still has more good hockey in him, decrease his workload and make him back-up and I'd guess it's a matter of time before the competitive juices start flowing and he rumbles back to a closer facsimile of his old self, he also has a habit of playing his best hockey in the playoffs which is a bonus. If we could get him for around $3M and for no more than 2 years, is a gamble I'd take. One curious thing with Holtby's fall off seems to coincide with Mitch Korn being promoted from goalie coach to Director of goaltending.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious what are people's max amount of salary they'd want to allocate to goaltending? Ideally I'd want to be under $7M, but I'd be willing to go as high as $7.75M if I thought the other guy had a strong chance to steal the starting job.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'd much rather have Anderson from the Leafs than Murray. If we are looking at those two.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Not happening but what about,

Mcdavid, Neal, Russell for Barkov Ekblad and Spenser Knight and 1st 2020.

Im saying trade 97, but running 29 and Barkov up the middle, and freeing up so much cap space would be big moving forward.

Any takers?

Last edited:

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Not happening but what about,

Mcdavid, Neal, Russell for Barkov Ekblad and Spenser Knight and 1st 2020.

Im saying trade 97, but running 29 and Barkov up the middle, and freeing up so much cap space would be big moving forward.

Any takers?
I'd still say no but it made me stop and consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad