Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | PRussell resigned to a 1-year extension $700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not happening but what about,

Mcdavid, Neal, Russell for Barkov Ekblad and Spenser Knight and 1st 2020.

Any takers?
As a hockey trade you would have give this a serious look, but in real life you don't do it because there is more to the business of hockey than what happens on the ice. I cannot see the Oilers even contemplating moving McDavid unless he asked out. But if he did this is a return that could set the franchise up for years.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thought the same thing, Zito has the scouting and contract end and Q lets him know where he wants to go with the roster. They’ve got a little money to play with and cheap UFA’s. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Florida much improved next year.

It will be worth watching. New GM's tend to want their own guy as coach. But Coach Q has just been hired with massive annual salary and term and being a certain Hall of Famer will have great influence. This could work out very well or risk of going pear shape if their vision's don't align or fracture. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out initially - Q knows the roster and may want to change it. But does a new GM often feel he needs to see and evaluate himself before shaking things up.

Together could be solid complementing skill set and experience. Some natural tension potentially between coaching win now and GM build for future.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Really leery about Murray considering his struggles.

If we could find a way to shake Domi out of MTL for a decent price, I'd be super happy with that.
He apparently wants to play C and big minutes, he doesn’t fit in in EDM unless you move Drai back to the wing

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I looked through every team & I counted 15 teams who might have use for him, most of those teams are in greater need than us for a goalie upgrade, I'd guess we get outbid, not sure I want to pay the price for a premium tandem partner in terms of assets and in term of salary dollars.

Going through the numbers it's surprising the number of starting goalies who've fallen off of late and sorting the UFA goalie list by Sv% is kind of funny with Cam Talbot sitting right there at #3 after Khudobin and Lehner.

The UFA goalie I've been advocating for is Greiss, seems like he's good enough to challenge Koski, but not good enough to cost a starting goalie salary.

I'm curious what Holtby will get on the open market after 2 seasons of back-up numbers and the most recent season being AHL numbers. My gut says he still has more good hockey in him, decrease his workload and make him back-up and I'd guess it's a matter of time before the competitive juices start flowing and he rumbles back to a closer facsimile of his old self, he also has a habit of playing his best hockey in the playoffs which is a bonus. If we could get him for around $3M and for no more than 2 years, is a gamble I'd take. One curious thing with Holtby's fall off seems to coincide with Mitch Korn being promoted from goalie coach to Director of goaltending.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious what are people's max amount of salary they'd want to allocate to goaltending? Ideally I'd want to be under $7M, but I'd be willing to go as high as $7.75M if I thought the other guy had a strong chance to steal the starting job.

Fascinating year for goaltenders. We've see the importance of quality goaltending platoons in the playoffs with Canucks, Dallas, Columbus and Vegas. And this off season is virtually unprecedented with the number, ages, types of goalies available in part with the expansion draft looming. The Oil can nibble around the edges for a thirtysomething tender or look to a mid-twenties guy on a team with depth like Pittsburg or Columbus.

Personally, I hope they go for a younger tender who can solve the net issue for potentially five to eight years. This is the year where such deals are possible on the supply side.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
He apparently wants to play C and big minutes, he doesn’t fit in in EDM unless you move Drai back to the wing

I have yet to see anything from somebody with firsthand knowledge saying that Domi really wants to play center. I have seen Julien say they want Domi to play center.

Reactions: KYams17

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the better question is why would they trade him? I don’t see it but my best guess would be that the new GM wants to do his own little rebuild and ownership is ok with shedding salary. After bob who’s untradeable, Ekblad is the biggest ticket, brings back the most in return, but also probably has the biggest effect on your team. With him and their current team they’ll probably be stuck in that middling team just missing the playoffs, without him they’re a lottery team and in line for some high picks for a year or two.

But to answer your question they’d probably be looking for picks and high end prospects. Id have no problem starting with our 1st this year +Broberg.

Oh jesus. If all it took was our 1st pick + Brober, Holland would WALK to Florida to make that deal. Unfortunately, no GM in the history of hockey is dumb enough to make that deal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not happening but what about,

Mcdavid, Neal, Russell for Barkov Ekblad and Spenser Knight and 1st 2020.

Im saying trade 97, but running 29 and Barkov up the middle, and freeing up so much cap space would be big moving forward.

Any takers?
Thankfully Holland would never do something like that. Another year or even less, and you can move Russell, maybe even before the season starts. If Neal can pot 20 or so goals for another year or 2, he still has value. As for trading McDavid, I would think that would be every Oiler fan's nightmare. Having loads of cap room is nice, but UFA's are typically way overpriced, and there is no guarantee that works out. Typically the team that gets the best player wins the trade, which is why you don't see a lot of star players being moved for pieces. And Barkov and Ekblad are nowhere near the stratosphere of McDavid. Not sure why this team would need to make a panic move like that when they are getting closer to getting out of cap hell, and some of the earlier draft pieces are starting to show well.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As a hockey trade you would have give this a serious look, but in real life you don't do it because there is more to the business of hockey than what happens on the ice. I cannot see the Oilers even contemplating moving McDavid unless he asked out. But if he did this is a return that could set the franchise up for years.
No, no no. If McDavid demands out, that would be awful, and a deal like that does not set up our future imo.

All the cap space we're sending them there in Neal and Russell would just expire anyway. That's no favor in the grande scheme. Nice in the short term, sure.

Knight is a great prospect but we can solve goaltending in other ways.

Ekblad and Barkov are not special players, especially compared to McDavid. Ekblad is a #1 D but not a Norris contender. He has potential to be one for sure. Our D is young and could get there too.

To me it reminds me of the Arizona/Florida model. Just tick the boxes and success will come. Not so simple.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oh jesus. If all it took was our 1st pick + Brober, Holland would WALK to Florida to make that deal. Unfortunately, no GM in the history of hockey is dumb enough to make that deal.

I wasn’t saying it would be strictly those pieces. That would be a good base and then depending on how much salary they were willing to take back, more would be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->