Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It'll pale in comparison to when we acquire KESSEL. ;)

I think this could all blow up hugely (to borrow a Trumpism) in Vegas' face. Fairly sizeable risk for McPhee to take, trading away most of his future assets and signing a bunch of longish term, big money deals.

I think the idea is to keep the team competitive in the short term until they are established enough that fans will stick around during a lean stretch.

Loading up on AAV at the expense of term is a smart move imo.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Patches put up less than 40 points and somehow got 7 million dollars out of it I don't know how thats a good contract especially if he doesn't bounce back.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Essentially all these UFA signings seem a bit much, but term is quite low. Patches could've very well been getting 7 years at 6mil.

This will be a deal now that we will know better on in a few months. If Patches can rebound this trade isn't that bad. However, Patches comes in at 20 or less goals and it's going to look real bad.
4 years really isn't bad at all. I think modern contracts should be judged by length rather than price tag.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Winnik and Stempniak get PTOs with the Bruins.

Hopefully we can pull a Calgary and steal Winnik after his PTO.
Don't ask me why the NHL did this, but these PTO's make a lot more sense for Boston as they play games both in China and USA. Saturday and Wednesday in China, but Sunday and Tuesday in USA.

Seems really f***ing stupid by the NHL to do that. I assume CGY is the same as CGY plays Boston in China.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the idea is to keep the team competitive in the short term until they are established enough that fans will stick around during a lean stretch.

Loading up on AAV at the expense of term is a smart move imo.

At this rate the lean stretch will far exceed the short term gain, especially considering the likelihood of the team regressing this season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting point brough up by nightfighter in the around the league thread. Let Neal go, but pay more for Patches plus give up assets?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I’m glad we’re playing in Europe and Calgary is playing in China. That Asian jet lag is no joke.

For me jet lag is jet lag

Only time I ever got it is when I flew to Australia for the first time--I would have slept--but Singapore airlines has great inflight entertainment

I watched the first 2 Godfathers and the indiana jones on the flight from London to Singapore

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting point brough up by nightfighter in the around the league thread. Let Neal go, but pay more for Patches plus give up assets?

Neal never sticks around anywhere for long. Dallas traded him away after he put up some good seasons, then he didn't stick around in Pittsburgh or Nashville. There have been some longstanding rumours around the guy.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton

I was thinking that to myself earlier. I'd take Neal on his current deal and keep the assets. That Tatar deal looks ugly right now, but I see no reason why he can't rebound next season. 7M for patches seems like a lot for a guy who didn't hit 40 points last year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I'd take Patches over Neal in a heartbeat. Patches is actually a very good two way forward and a better playmaker. Neal is a shooter, with a bit of a nasty streak but is not really all that reliable defensively and is a less consistent scorer than Pacioretty. Giving up Suzuki and the extra dollars is an issue, though I suspect that they wanted to get rid of Tatar. That said they are eating $500K of Tatar's money so that does make Patches even more expensive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd take Patches over Neal in a heartbeat. Patches is actually a very good two way forward and a better playmaker. Neal is a shooter, with a bit of a nasty streak but is not really all that reliable defensively and is a less consistent scorer than Pacioretty. Giving up Suzuki and the extra dollars is an issue, though I suspect that they wanted to get rid of Tatar. That said they are eating $500K of Tatar's money so that does make Patches even more expensive.
I take Patches too, if they were both UFA's. The problem I'm seeing is Vegas is adding a lot of different pieces. They got lucky last year having everyone gel, but to think it's going to happen again might be wishful thinking.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I take Patches too, if they were both UFA's. The problem I'm seeing is Vegas is adding a lot of different pieces. They got lucky last year having everyone gel, but to think it's going to happen again might be wishful thinking.

I actually agree. Their defense is a big ??? for me. I also think there forwards will regress.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'd offer Lucic to Montreal for Tatar and see if there is any interest.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like Patches alot but this is a far stretch. Both have the same GPG average (0.361), but Hall dwarfed his career PPG (0.89, 0.71). Hall at his peak (yes, his peak year was here as an Oiler in 13/14, given how bad his team was) was better than Patches career peak. Halls defensive metrics are actually similar to Pacioretty. Eberle had a higher GPG average (0.323) and career PPG (0.75) than Patches, but Patches had a bigger advantage defensively

All in all, id say Patches would fall in the middle of the two. Hall is an elite, top 10 forward in the league. Eberle is a serviceable and reliable top line player. Patches is a good, but not elite, top 40 forward

Pacioretty was a consistent 35-40 goal, 65-70 point excellent 2 way forward. I think it's very arguable that he was on or close to Hall's level the 5 or so seasons prior to last one. Better goal scorer, better defensively while Hall was the better line driver (puck possessor) and better playmaker. Hall has never been near the defensive player that Pacioretty was regardless of what the metrics said. Hall was an elite top 10 forward last season but not consistently throughout his career.
We can take this to another thread if you'd like so we don't have a big Hawaiian looking to kick our ass. ;)

In any event, this was a pretty standard return for a UFA of Pacioretty's caliber. The equivalent of a 1st+2nd rounder+cap dump.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lot of competition at the bottom end of the roster this camp, I wonder if they are shopping Kassian.

Kassian and a pick/prospect for Faulk?

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad