Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Oilers Have Kicked Tires on Some Veteran UFA Defencemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why is the popular opinion that Price is somehow going to come out of the gate magically elite again after .908, 9.18 and .900 seasons?

I just don't get all the Habs hype. Their C depth is all based on potential and their wingers are underwhelming.

Their young Cs played well during the play in so people automatically think that they are going to pick up where they left off. I have my doubts but we’ll see.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Why is the popular opinion that Price is somehow going to come out of the gate magically elite again after .908, 9.18 and .900 seasons?

I just don't get all the Habs hype. Their C depth is all based on potential and their wingers are underwhelming.

Even though the Oilers have sucked for the past decade, they love playing Carey Price. He's like 3-9-1 against them lifetime. Save % is like .860 and GAA is 3.7

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Montreal did very well against Canada teams last year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Posters probably watched how Price stole the series vs Penguins.

They also added a backup who is on par with most starters in the division.

Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaneimi is young down the middle but is more than just potential already.

Not sure how you are underwhelmed by Toffoli, Andersen, Tatar, Gallagher, Armia and Drouin

Reactions: ujju2 and Anarchism

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

So the three wins against the Penguins means he's elite again and cancelled out the other 175 previous games?

Let's pump the breaks here. Despite plenty of opportunities, Allen's famously never been able to be a successful starter. His 24 games were good last season. His 105 games in the two seasons before that were barely NHL level.

Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaneimi is young down the middle but is more than just potential already.
Time will tell without a veteran #1C to shelter them.
Not sure how you are underwhelmed by Toffoli, Andersen, Tatar, Gallagher, Armia and Drouin
Really? Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg all pretty easily have a better top-9 forwards than Montreal.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Meh, 5 of those guys were underwhelming enough to become available to the Habs. Anderson scored 1 goal in his last 26 games and got paid big because he is well...big? Toffoli while he caught fire for 10 games in Van looks like he is maybe on the downside of his career. Joel Armia looks like he has skill but really it only translates to 20 -30 pts a year. Drouin is easily the trade of the decade that Montreal would undo 10 times out of 10, although the Gomez trade was worse. Tatar and Gallagher are good players but smallish which probably percipitated the Anderson trade for the diminutive Domi in the first place. I'm interested to see how the mix of Anderson and Toffoli works too but I would hardly call what they have a "definite improvement".

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Meh, 5 of those guys were underwhelming enough to become available to the Habs. Anderson scored 1 goal in his last 26 games and got paid big because he is well...big? Toffoli while he caught fire for 10 games in Van looks like he is maybe on the downside of his career. Joel Armia looks like he has skill but really it only translates to 20 -30 pts a year. Drouin is easily the trade of the decade that Montreal would undo 10 times out of 10, although the Gomez trade was worse. Tatar and Gallagher are good players but smallish which probably percipitated the Anderson trade for the diminutive Domi in the first place. I'm interested to see how the mix of Anderson and Toffoli works too but I would hardly call what they have a "definite improvement".
You do realize that Montreal's third line is likely to be....

Toffoli / Kotko / Armia

vs. OUrs of....

Ennis / Turris / Pulju

Right? Ennis small winger that needs to regain his polish from four years ago....Turris who failed in a defensive system... and Pulju a failure somewhat crybaby that while defensively good has a lot to prove he has NHL offensive potential.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So the three wins against the Penguins means he's elite again and cancelled out the other 175 previous games?

Let's pump the breaks here. Despite plenty of opportunities, Allen's famously never been able to be a successful starter. His 24 games were good last season. His 105 games in the two seasons before that were barely NHL level.

Time will tell without a veteran #1C to shelter them.

Really? Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg all pretty easily have a better top-9 forwards than Montreal.
Toronto and Winterpeg Yes....
Calgary and Edmonton wingers suck if you include all six of the top three lines as a group.

Edmonton .....has RNH and Yama....after that they have a bit of hope ....not much.
We dont have proven adequate wingers for McDavid at all. Now having said that Turris might get a chance on LW.

So Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, Armia vs. Kahun, Ennis, Kassian, Pulju

I make that trade so fast ur head would spin right off. Get our D this year and next to get more experience and a real starter for a goalie and we would be a contender.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Their young Cs played well during the play in so people automatically think that they are going to pick up where they left off. I have my doubts but we’ll see.

Center and defence are the 2 most important positions on a team. They’re banking on 2 sophomore centers to carry the load on offence. I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: North and nabob

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You do realize that Montreal's third line is likely to be....

Toffoli / Kotko / Armia

vs. OUrs of....

Ennis / Turris / Pulju

Right? Ennis small winger that needs to regain his polish from four years ago....Turris who failed in a defensive system... and Pulju a failure somewhat crybaby that while defensively good has a lot to prove he has NHL offensive potential.

How about comparing both teams top 6 since those are the 2 lines that will be getting most of the minutes. Montreal’s top 6 gets blown out of the water by Edmonton’s top 6.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Calgary and Edmonton wingers suck if you include all six of the top three lines as a group.

Edmonton .....has RNH and Yama....after that they have a bit of hope ....not much.
We dont have proven adequate wingers for McDavid at all. Now having said that Turris might get a chance on LW.

I make that trade so fast ur head would spin right off. Get our D this year and next to get more experience and a real starter for a goalie and we would be a contender.

I think Montreal has the better group of proven wingers but RNH is better then any winger on their team in my opinion. After that we have unproven wingers like Yamamoto, Kahun and JP.

Reactions: ujju2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think Montreal has the better group of proven wingers but RNH is better then any winger on their team in my opinion. After that we have unproven wingers like Yamamoto, Kahun and JP.

Your definition of 'unproven' appears to be pretty wide. Whatever it takes to criticize the Oilers is the real concern apparently.

How does Yamamoto with 26 points in 27 games last season compare to Puljujarvi with his 37 points in 139 NHL games?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Edmonton has McDavid and Drai...I could give a crap who Montreal has on third line wing lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I find it odd they don’t agree on $$, doesn’t seem that hard of a contract to make up. Some comparable are Dermott this offseason accepting his QO, maybe a touch low but he has more experience than Bear. Deangelo was 925000 on a 1 year last year.

It seems like 1 year 900Kish deal makes way to much sense, reconvene in 6 months and hammer out more term if you want. Quick 56 game sample size to work off too.

Bear doesn’t have much leverage, Bouchard will be with the team anyways in the taxi squad, that is who he made the team over last year, and that was more a age thing, Bouchard would love to slot next to Nurse to start the year if, on the off chance, Bear isn’t in Edmonton right away. The last thing Bear would want would Bouchard having a good camp/start to the season without him

With them knowing that Klefbom is out for the season, they might want to get him locked up for more years with the LTIR pool. This wouldn't have been an option if there was uncertainty surrounding Klef's status.

The Phillippe Myers contract would be beneficial for both sides, something like 3 years $8M give or take a few hundred thousand.
It gives the Oilers 3 more fairly cheap years of Bear, gives Bear a little security to bring him closer to UFA and perhaps more importantly, gives the Oilers more flexibility in the McDrai window the next 3 years as opposed to a 1 year deal for Bear with potential for an even bigger raise next season and beyond.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
So, when does Klefbom’s cap hit officially move to LTIR status and create more cap flexibility? Or has that already happened?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Still hoping we sign/PTO Sheahan. I don't trust Haas or Khaira to run the PK and the taxi squad gives us the perfect place to park one (or both) of them for this season:

RNH-McDavid-Kass
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Neal-Turris-Pulju
Ennis-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira Chiasson

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Jones/Koekkoek-Larsson
Jones/Koekkoek

Taxi:

Benson
Haas
Forsberg
Lagesson
Bouchard

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I really like what Dorion is doing with the Senators rebuild. He's stockpiling young talent but also dealing for strong character veteran NHLers to lead and help infuse a positive culture. I don't think there'll be any freebies playing Ottawa. All likelihood not a playoff team but they will be in games.

Will be an incredibly competitive Canadian division driven by strong goaltending throughout. I think this is a problem for Edmonton and a clear tell was goalie upgrade was the first area of attack for Holland during the off season. He went hard after Markstrom and kept his sanity when term and price got too much. But very clear Holland viewed Markstrom as a very clear and substantive upgrade over Koskinen no matter what the comparable stat lines were last year. Smith is simply not a quality backup in a heightened short schedule especially when you're seeing division rivals eight and ten times each.

Hope to be wrong on this. But wonder if there's an in season move that could emerge with cash poor Arizona and Kemper.

EDIT: All said I love what Holland has done with essentially little money and leveraging the covid cap very well to build out depth... apart from goaltending. Navigating Klefbom's uncertainty was also a challenge and now losing the team's best defenseman for the year.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Still hoping we sign/PTO Sheahan. I don't trust Haas or Khaira to run the PK and the taxi squad gives us the perfect place to park one (or both) of them for this season:

RNH-McDavid-Kass
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Neal-Turris-Pulju
Ennis-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira Chiasson

Nurse-Bear
Russell-Barrie
Jones/Koekkoek-Larsson
Jones/Koekkoek

Taxi:

Benson
Haas
Forsberg
Lagesson
Bouchard

I'll be pissed if the just throw Nygard away.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'll be pissed if the just throw Nygard away.

IMO leaving Nygard in Sweden on loan is the best thing for him. He's not going to play ahead of any of the wingers we have on the roster right now, and has been good (but not outstanding) with Farjestad. He'll get more reps as players return to NA and hopefully by the time next season rolls around he will have taken the next step in his development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad