Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Reading between the lines in Leavins article it sounds like the Oilers are trying to get OEL for this years 1st, a D prospect and Russell, and then flip a LHD for a 1st to replace the one we traded for OEL. So our net asset cost for OEL would be Russell, a D prospect not named Bouchard, Broberg or Jones, and one of Nurse or Klefbom. I do that trade in a heartbeat.

I could very easily see Toronto playing Ball there. They have the 15th and are open to trading it, and desperately need a D, I think RHD though possible

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Reading between the lines in Leavins article it sounds like the Oilers are trying to get OEL for this years 1st, a prospect and Russell, and then flip a LHD for a 1st to replace the one we traded for OEL. So our net asset cost for OEL would be Russell, a prospect not named Bouchard, Broberg or Jones, and one of Nurse or Klefbom. I do that trade in a heartbeat.

It's funny, I was actually thinking about this when it was told that Pietrangelo was hitting the free agent market.
If Holland had any inkling that AP was even remotely interested in signing here, I'd move Nurse or Klefbom for a sizeable package of picks and prospects, trade off Russell, let AA walk or try to get a pick for him and make Pietrangelo a big offer. If they are willing to give up assets for a worse player in OEL who makes a boatload of money going forward and trade defensemen to clear cap space to fit OEL in, why not keep the assets that would have been traded for OEL, trade some players for picks to clear cap space and make a run at Pietrangelo who will likely get a contract not much richer than OEL (9-9.5M)?

It's obviously a big stretch to think that he'd have any interest in coming here but just some food for thought.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Reading between the lines in Leavins article it sounds like the Oilers are trying to get OEL for this years 1st, a D prospect and Russell, and then flip a LHD for a 1st to replace the one we traded for OEL. So our net asset cost for OEL would be Russell, a D prospect not named Bouchard, Broberg or Jones, and one of Nurse or Klefbom. I do that trade in a heartbeat.

I don't think he really knows. That proposed deal has been said by just about everyone.

But I do see it as a tough question. There's reason to stand pat, considering the value of cap space, especially now. However, it also seems wrong not to take advantage of the huge amount of player movement about to happen. This is a rare opportunity. There's no assurance that next offseason will be the same.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I have a feeling that Kurt Leavins is getting his information from my posts on here at this point.

No chance we are getting OEL or Petro, but Russell will be gone. Larsson as well IMO. Jones is guaranteed a starting roster spot next season, and I have to imagine that they want to give Bouchard an opportunity to get in after his swell showing in the AHL this past year as a rookie D man. This is predicated on Petro not signing here, which is obviously something the organization would want. It's just not in the cards though. Bit of a weird connection here, but I played hockey with the son of a guy who coached Petro, Stamkos, and Del Zotto all on the same team one year in minor hockey. Still keep in contact. He's saying there ain't no way in hell that Petro is going to Edmonton. Here's to hoping, but I trust the guy.

I want to move on from one of Nurse/Klefbom as well (my preference is Nurse), but OEL has minimal incentive to come here. That contract is scary too for what he has been unable to bring the last few years. He's on a garbage team in a garbage hockey area, sure, but do we invest everything we've got into bringing him here? I know they're trying, but the price will be steeper than Leavins claims. Which D prospect? We don't have one to fill the gap in value. Would cost a 1st alone to get rid of Russell.

And obviously, there is no chance you can go into next season with a LHD of OEL/Klefbom/Nurse -- considering how pricey that is and that Jones has been promised a spot. Unless he is supposed to be the D prospect going back in the OEL deal ... to which I say hell no.

Tons of moving parts and rumours going on lately that it is hard to focus in on what's true. A few things I know for sure are:

Jones will be starting.
Russell will be gone.
Pietrangelo has minimal/no interest in coming here.

So unless you want to really pull the 'OEL is willing to relocate his entire life and give up on his new dream home just to play for a coach he played for in the past who yielded minimal success to begin with' card, I'm not buying it.

In my opinion, I would prepare yourselves for Russell and one of Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson moving out with minimal professional players returning. There isn't anything that really lines up in terms of bolstering the D core at the moment. Hope that Bear and Jones continue to improve, and that one of Bouchard/Broberg can step in and play well also.

Next year will be Ethan Bear's and Caleb Jones' year to lead the way here. I know that sounds a bit sad, but it is what it is.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Of course not, but do you think McDavid's going to stick around for more mediocre hockey?
Where is he going to go?
As long as we make the playoffs every year there is no threat of him asking out. Only 1 team wins the cup. Who would have thought Dallas this year or Stl last year?

Goonitup44

Jun 22, 2019
Why trade for OEL, when you can sign Pietrangelo. Make the moves to make the cap room. Even if you have to give him 7 years you can pay a 1st down the road to dump him if he's gone downhill for the last couple of years remaining.

Much rather pay Pietrangelo 10 mil than pay assets for OEL @9.25.

Either way i hope for a busy offseason. It doesn't happen often where players that wouldn't normally be moved are. Lots of goalie,defense and forward options out there. Next year could be back to normal boring off-season with an expansion team fixing everyone's cap troubles

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Did I hear wrong ??? Oilers have traded Puljujvi to Columbus this morning -last night? If so who and what?

Moose 11

Sep 15, 2020
McDavid has had Draisaitl, RNH, Hall or Eberle on his wing his entire career up until last year, the best wingers on the team. It was Draisaitl (the few times he was separated from McDavid) or RNH who had gotten the scraps. Poor RNH and Drai, not poor McDavid. It's about time that he learns how to play with lesser wingers, that's what you get when you're getting paid $12.5M/yr.

Also, you can't forget a #3C. The Oilers have had one of the worst 3rd lines for years. With the strength of the top 6, if the Oilers had an even above average 3rd line they can compete for the division title IMO even with an average defense and goaltending. They had a pretty good season last year with one of the worst 3rd lines at even strength in the league, they were horrendous and it's a big part of the reason why McDavid and Draisaitl carry such a heavy load.
Those player you’ve mentioned have played limited time in the span of his career. Nice try though.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If they miss next year then those guys need to look themselves in the mirror because there is enough talent to get into the playoffs. This past year proved that.

Just because you're a great player doesn't mean to entitled to "easy mode". Mario Lemieux didn't even play in the playoffs until like his 5th or 6th season. Michael Jordan, the most dominant team athlete of the last 30 years had dick all to work with until like his 6th season.

For all the bruhahah over the Avalanche, Nathan MacKinnon hasn't gone any further in the playoffs than Connor McDavid. For all the bruhahah over the Leafs, neither has Matthews or Marner.

If Connor and Leon want to be great, that Blackhawks series should fuel them to come back even better next year, because that's what great players do. If you don't want to be that, then step the f*** aside because greatness has no time for you.

Hey relax , both Leon and Connor were over 2 PPG in the Blackhawks series. What do you want them to come out next year and have 13 points in the first 4 playoff games so the team can move needles ? They are surrounded by hot trash. The defense is embarrassing, no one other then the big 3 did much for offense. You cant expect these 2 to be much better then what they were vs the Hawks.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Your post is the first I’ve seen mentioning a trade. Rumours they’re interested, but nothing solid from what I’ve seen.

where’d you hear that?
Facebook pop up.I had 3 people tell me they had the same popup

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Facebook pop up
:laugh:

I think there is a huge misunderstanding going on here. Taking Columbus having interest in Puljujarvi 'at the draft' conflated with having interest in Puljujarvi 'now'.

Don't think Puljujarvi will be traded anywhere at this point, until he is given a chance with our club first. He is lighting up the SM-Liiga so far this year and would be a huge addition to our horrific winger depth. Zero reason to move on from him now unless he is still refusing to play (he has come out and said he might come back now).

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
:laugh:

I think there is a huge misunderstanding going on here. Taking Columbus having interest in Puljujarvi 'at the draft' conflated with having interest in Puljujarvi 'now'.

Don't think Puljujarvi will be traded anywhere at this point, until he is given a chance with our club first. He is lighting up the SM-Liiga so far this year and would be a huge addition to our horrific winger depth. Zero reason to move on from him now unless he is still refusing to play (he has come out and said he might come back now).
I agree 100% but had to ask if anyone had heard, like you it was the first for me to

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the oilers will qualify him and if he goes to arbitration they will walk if it is too high.

They can’t walk if the arbitration award is under 4.52 million. (It’s 4.137 or something like that to be exact). So his agent will gun for an arbitration median of about 4.5 so the Oilers cannot walk.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have a feeling that Kurt Leavins is getting his information from my posts on here at this point.

No chance we are getting OEL or Petro, but Russell will be gone. Larsson as well IMO. Jones is guaranteed a starting roster spot next season, and I have to imagine that they want to give Bouchard an opportunity to get in after his swell showing in the AHL this past year as a rookie D man. This is predicated on Petro not signing here, which is obviously something the organization would want. It's just not in the cards though. Bit of a weird connection here, but I played hockey with the son of a guy who coached Petro, Stamkos, and Del Zotto all on the same team one year in minor hockey. Still keep in contact. He's saying there ain't no way in hell that Petro is going to Edmonton. Here's to hoping, but I trust the guy.

I want to move on from one of Nurse/Klefbom as well (my preference is Nurse), but OEL has minimal incentive to come here. That contract is scary too for what he has been unable to bring the last few years. He's on a garbage team in a garbage hockey area, sure, but do we invest everything we've got into bringing him here? I know they're trying, but the price will be steeper than Leavins claims. Which D prospect? We don't have one to fill the gap in value. Would cost a 1st alone to get rid of Russell.

And obviously, there is no chance you can go into next season with a LHD of OEL/Klefbom/Nurse -- considering how pricey that is and that Jones has been promised a spot. Unless he is supposed to be the D prospect going back in the OEL deal ... to which I say hell no.

Tons of moving parts and rumours going on lately that it is hard to focus in on what's true. A few things I know for sure are:

Jones will be starting.
Russell will be gone.
Pietrangelo has minimal/no interest in coming here.

So unless you want to really pull the 'OEL is willing to relocate his entire life and give up on his new dream home just to play for a coach he played for in the past who yielded minimal success to begin with' card, I'm not buying it.

In my opinion, I would prepare yourselves for Russell and one of Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson moving out with minimal professional players returning. There isn't anything that really lines up in terms of bolstering the D core at the moment. Hope that Bear and Jones continue to improve, and that one of Bouchard/Broberg can step in and play well also.

Next year will be Ethan Bear's and Caleb Jones' year to lead the way here. I know that sounds a bit sad, but it is what it is.

From reading Leavin’s articles in the past he seems reasonably well-connected. Doesn’t mean that OEL will be traded here (or at all, for that matter), but I’d be surprised if OEL wasn’t at least intrigued by the thought of going to a team where he could win a cup. He doesn’t seem like he is the type of guy that is so concerned with his home from what he’s said in the past (moving back to Sweden after he retires, for ex).

I could see Petro having no interest signing here since he already has a cup. I see him signing for a team where it’s about the same possibility to get another but also considering preference and comfort more (If the Laffs can get enough cap for him it’ll happen).

Jones insisting on having a better chance and more playing time sounds right, but why would they need to move more than Russel to make that happen?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008

I stay away from OEL if I am spending money on adman it is Pietrangelo, then we can still move out Larsson, Russell and Benning for assets and that also gives us about 10 mil in cap space to sign Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Duke74 and Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I stay away from OEL if I am spending money on adman it is Pietrangelo, then we can still move out Larsson, Russell and Benning for assets and that also gives us about 10 mil in cap space to sign Pietrangelo.

I highly doubt Pietrangelo wants to come here and he has way more miles on him than OEL. It sounds like AP wants 10x7. No thanks. For much less dollars and term sure.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pietrangelo is a pipe dream. He's racked up $48 million in career earnings, has a young family of four and American wife, and got his Stanley Cup. This is going to be a two team fight - move home to play for his childhood dream team or stay secured, settled and revered in St. Louis. He fits the exact need of the Maple Laffs and they will find the means to get the cap savings required. Looks to me like the slow train to Hog Town has left the station.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

Leavins also says Arizona would be aware that they’d need to retain some salary. That changes the deal significantly. OEL at 6, for example, is a lot different going forward than at 8.25.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Leavins also says Arizona would be aware that they’d need to retain some salary. That changes the deal significantly. OEL at 6, for example, is a lot different going forward than at 8.25.

Yes I neglected to say that, thanks.

Reactions: tabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad