Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You seem really down on the team . There always the Flames to cheer for .

The Avs are a good comparison. Made the playoffs missed for a few years drafted some high end D . Went thru a few goalies . The big trade that really pushed them was Barrie to Toronto for Kadri . There no way of knowing how our D will look in 2 years . Broberg is going to be very good . Bouchard needs to work on his defensive game but defence can be taught offensive not so much . Samorukov hits like a truck and will be big if he develop right . Teams are going to dumping players again next year with a flat cap . We have know idea who will shake lose and we will have so cap space .

You also say the Oilers will not finish 2 in the division. Vancouver getting better ? They are in a cap crunch and may lose a few players . Also for every team that goes up a team goes down . Did you predict the Oilers would make the cup final in 2006 ? Dallas this year ?
Oilers will make changes this offseason. I see a new backup goalie , Kris Russell trade , a 3rd line C . I also think AA will be back at like 2 to 2.5 over 3 years . OEL won’t be an Oiler :thumbu: .
Last writing the team off base on a play in where teams were off for 4 months is very short sited . As for your beloved AVS they are in the same boat as us this year . They never won shit !
The Avalanche are light years ahead of us, they are a far more balanced team than the Oilers are.

It's easy to say yeah, the Oilers did finish second in the division. The Flames and Canucks were 4 and 5 points back of them respectively with games in hand. It's naive to think Vancouver isn't trending up and we are roughly even with the Flames.

The Oilers need to overhaul their defense, find better goaltending, and once again acquire depth up front. Same problems as previous years.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You heard wrong. No trade. There is a rumor that Columbus is interested in trading for him.

For those interested. Bob Stauffer asked Elliott Friedman if he heard anything new on the Puljujarvi front

Friedman said no. But he mentioned that Columbus is a team that has always been interested but wasnt willing to give up enough to get it done.

Stauffer thought it was interesting as they passed on Jesse. Friedman pointed out that just because they took PLD doesnt mean they didnt like JP.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Leavins also says Arizona would be aware that they’d need to retain some salary. That changes the deal significantly. OEL at 6, for example, is a lot different going forward than at 8.25.

That would completely change his value. Especially with a flat cap. I wonder what the two seperate deals would look like.

How about Nurse to Florida for the 12th?

Then trade the 14th, Samorukov and Russell for OEL (1.5M retained).

Gives Florida their defenceman that can help turn around things while they have Huberdeau.

We get to draft one of Jarvis or Quinn and get a top pairing defenceman.

Arizona sheds salary and gets their 1st rounder.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s not just about comparables. The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute
Evidence that is not admissible includes:
  • The salary and performance of a comparable player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent
  • Testimonials, videos, and media reports
  • The financial state of the team
  • The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll
AA agent presents his argument and why he should be paid $6-7m, Holland presents theirs why he should be paid $1.5 to $2m, arbitrator almost always selects near the middle.

The real danger is the arbitrator selects $4.5M - the middle ground - which the Oilers cannot walk away from as the threshold to walk is just over $4.5M.

Wow that is very detailed, I appreciate the run down. The fact that the cap is not a factor is a bit worrisome since the cap is flat. Even more worrisome is if he somehow gets to a $ figure that we don't like and can't cut bait.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They can’t walk if the arbitration award is under 4.52 million. (It’s 4.137 or something like that to be exact). So his agent will gun for an arbitration median of about 4.5 so the Oilers cannot walk.

I would take him at the $4.137 million unless we had better uses for that cap already. That said I like the player more than most.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Wow that is very detailed, I appreciate the run down. The fact that the cap is not a factor is a bit worrisome since the cap is flat. Even more worrisome is if he somehow gets over that $4.5 million mark we can't cut bait.

If AA's agent is seeking that kind of number, it's going to backfire on the player. He wont get qualified and hes going to make 2-2.5M as a free agent.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
That would completely change his value. Especially with a flat cap. I wonder what the two seperate deals would look like.

Gives Florida their defenceman that can help turn around things while they have Huberdeau.

I think something based around that would be a good move.

OEL-Larsson
Klef/Nurse-Bear
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson

Although I think if we had #12, Holland would be pretty tempted to draft Askarov.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If AA's agent is seeking that kind of number, it's going to backfire on the player. He wont get qualified and hes going to make 2-2.5M as a free agent.

I would offer him the same contract that he just came off of, 2 years for $3 million AAV. If he wants more $ he needs to elevate his game back to where it was 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The Avalanche are light years ahead of us, they are a far more balanced team than the Oilers are.

It's easy to say yeah, the Oilers did finish second in the division. The Flames and Canucks were 4 and 5 points back of them respectively with games in hand. It's naive to think Vancouver isn't trending up and we are roughly even with the Flames.

The Oilers need to overhaul their defense, find better goaltending, and once again acquire depth up front. Same problems as previous years.

Canucks can very easily trend the other direction if they lose the likes of Markstrom/Tanev as UFA's. Demko had a worse regular season than Koskinen did, and a 3 game playoff sample doesn't mean he's ready to carry the load as a #1.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Wow that is very detailed, I appreciate the run down. The fact that the cap is not a factor is a bit worrisome since the cap is flat. Even more worrisome is if he somehow gets to a $ figure that we don't like and can't cut bait.

I do believe that an arbitration ruling does open up a buyout window for the team(for another player) so that their hands aren't completely tied.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I have a feeling that Kurt Leavins is getting his information from my posts on here at this point.

No chance we are getting OEL or Petro, but Russell will be gone. Larsson as well IMO. Jones is guaranteed a starting roster spot next season, and I have to imagine that they want to give Bouchard an opportunity to get in after his swell showing in the AHL this past year as a rookie D man. This is predicated on Petro not signing here, which is obviously something the organization would want. It's just not in the cards though. Bit of a weird connection here, but I played hockey with the son of a guy who coached Petro, Stamkos, and Del Zotto all on the same team one year in minor hockey. Still keep in contact. He's saying there ain't no way in hell that Petro is going to Edmonton. Here's to hoping, but I trust the guy.

I want to move on from one of Nurse/Klefbom as well (my preference is Nurse), but OEL has minimal incentive to come here. That contract is scary too for what he has been unable to bring the last few years. He's on a garbage team in a garbage hockey area, sure, but do we invest everything we've got into bringing him here? I know they're trying, but the price will be steeper than Leavins claims. Which D prospect? We don't have one to fill the gap in value. Would cost a 1st alone to get rid of Russell.

And obviously, there is no chance you can go into next season with a LHD of OEL/Klefbom/Nurse -- considering how pricey that is and that Jones has been promised a spot. Unless he is supposed to be the D prospect going back in the OEL deal ... to which I say hell no.

Tons of moving parts and rumours going on lately that it is hard to focus in on what's true. A few things I know for sure are:

Jones will be starting.
Russell will be gone.
Pietrangelo has minimal/no interest in coming here.

So unless you want to really pull the 'OEL is willing to relocate his entire life and give up on his new dream home just to play for a coach he played for in the past who yielded minimal success to begin with' card, I'm not buying it.

In my opinion, I would prepare yourselves for Russell and one of Nurse/Klefbom/Larsson moving out with minimal professional players returning. There isn't anything that really lines up in terms of bolstering the D core at the moment. Hope that Bear and Jones continue to improve, and that one of Bouchard/Broberg can step in and play well also.

Next year will be Ethan Bear's and Caleb Jones' year to lead the way here. I know that sounds a bit sad, but it is what it is.

How can you say we have no chance of getting either when rumours are pointing out to Oilers and Arizona working something out for OEL? Is it the starting of the new season already?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A Neal buyout saves you $3,833,333 in cap hit for each of the next 3 seasons. However, you would have a $1,916,667 cap hit for the next 6 years.

It would help us to hopefully get out of the Covid cap era, but I hate all of the dead cap that we have year after year.

Reactions: Faelko

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Those player you’ve mentioned have played limited time in the span of his career. Nice try though.

McDavid's first 4 years were played with a combination of Hall, Eberle, Draisaitl and RNH while the 2nd line center always got stuck with the scraps, McDavid has always had the most talented offensive player on the team on his wing until this season. What are you even going on about with the "limited time" comment?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Look at the Canucks record after Markstrom got injured, they went from challenging for 1st to being in danger of missing the playoffs and there's a chance he won't resign in Vancouver without a NMC. There's no question that they're a team with potential but young teams always have ups and downs.

We don't need to overhaul our defence, just some tinkering. Koskinen is fine in net but we do need someone better then Smith as the 1B. As for forwards we are missing 2 key pieces, a right shot 3C and a winger for Mcdavid so we can keep the DRY line together.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I really like retention better than trading them a cap dump, none of our cap dumps stretch far enough and it provides a proper hedge for us, since we can retain again if we want to push him out the door later.

I think Florida is supposed to be cutting salary, I'm guessing a partial rebuild or retool will take place under the new GM, I'd look to WPG as a potential suitor for Nurse, they have the 10th pick, he fits their core cluster and they are D starved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad