Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | OEL or Bust!

Would You Trade Oscar Klefbom, Kris Russell and the 2021 1st Round Pick For OEL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's not an excuse. We had basically a healthy lineup and Chicago abused our defense.

"Had our number", we hadn't played them in months. Many on this board looked past Chicago as an afterthought. Guess who was the real afterthought?

That "bad team" beat us a couple of times. So I guess we're worse than the bad team.

The Canucks have a lot of talented young players in every position. The Oilers do not.

Oh yeah, that bad team also made the defending champs look horrible.

Hey, do you remember when the Rangers won all four regular season games against the Canes then got swept by the Canes because the regular season wasn't really indicative of anything?

All due respect to the Nucks but Binnington lost the Blues the series, especially after the Blues had woken up.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
IMO if they let AA walk they have to add a top 6 LW so you can keep the DRY line all year.

They need a 3C if Shehan walks, even if not

They need a backup goalie.

I would do this if they just want to tinker

Connor Sheary 1 year 2M
Cody Eakin 1 year 2M, surprised more people aren’t talking about him on here, he just had 1 down year

Goalie just wait to see what shakes down, the goalie market is going to be a who makes the first move. Just don’t bring back Smith, much better options out there.

Then run

Sheary-Mcdavid-Kassian
DRY
Neal-Eakin-Archibald
Chiasson-Haas- Any of the 10 #13F they have.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard/Jones
Lagesson

Koskinen
Backup G

Sheary is a player who’s produced well with skilled guys and has a winning pedigree.Easily a 20G guy next to Mcdavid, only 28

Eakin has consistently been a 30-40 point guy through his Career, would be a great addition at 3C

Those are small tweaks that could really help this lineup.Would probably leave a few M in cap space and you spend no assets, unless a goalie is traded for, at all this summer

Yeah I think 3C and goalie will be priority and my guesses are Haula, Eakin at 3C if they go the UFA route but things are so weird right now we might be able to get a guy for next to nothing in a cap move or maybe a Russell/Chiasson swap for a 3C in a needs swap where maybe we take back a little more money.

In net I think they’ll look at a guy like Greiss, Khudobin depending on what happens or maybe if Canes make a move they’ll look at mrazek.

At the wing depending on money they might try for a Sheary like you mentioned or Granlund, Smith depending on price. Again same as 3C they might Find a decent winger who’s a cap casualty or who they can do a 1 for 1 deal or maybe even a situation where we take on someone with a bigger cap hit in exchange for a combo of Russell/Chiasson we get a better player with a larger cap hit and the other team fills two positions for the roughly the same cap hit with one contract only 1.5M in actual dollars and the other contract you can bury to creat another 1M in cap space as an option.

I really don’t think Russell will be on the roster next year, either they trade him to a team who likes the low actual dollars or we trade him as part of a trade back at the draft or I could see a situation where he sees the writing on the wall and instead of traveling just to spend most of the time in the pb he either retires or goes on ltir as a covid opt out.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Uh yeah because someone ate a diseased bat we're gonna saying this team didn't make the playoffs, that's just crap.

They made the playoffs, I don't care that the league had to shut down because of some completely random, freak occurrence the players had no control over 71 games into a season.

Yeah but he’s going to throw out 71 games in favour of 5 after 4 months off because it allows him to be he’s typical whiny self.

Go look at his opinion at the beginning of last season and they made him look dumb all year long so he had to shut his mouth. Was probably playing with himself when covid came along and destroyed the year.

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure, but even if he's playing with AA and Kassian next year, that's still some OK skill level. Kassian is a 1st round pick who played with the Sedins, AA is a guy who recently scored 30 goals.

I'd love to add a superstar winger but the salary cap means you can't have everything at once.
AA isnt going to be here in the next few weeks.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Made me think this right off the bat.

Why bring in OEL when you have Bouchard who has the shot the passing and the puck movement... aka everything we need at 1/8th the cost.

And probably every bit as bad/good as OEL at defending.
Hey just curious but where did you get the idea that OEL was garbage at defending?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Then there better be a 20-25 goal scorer ideally with speed in his place for a 3 mill cap hit.
The chance of that is likely. Holland can't afford to pay him 3mill apparently so that 20-30 goalscorer in his spot will probably be Neal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The chance of that is likely. Holland can't afford to pay him 3mill apparently so that 20-30 goalscorer in his spot will probably be Neal.

That doesn't make any sense, we can probably have AA for 3 million and that's 20 goals on top of whatever Neal gets. We're walking away from that for what exactly?

That's the same thing this team did in gifting away Eberle, Strome, Perron, Schultz, Dubnyk, etc. etc.

Enough is enough.

We can afford AA, if he's getting moved then it has to be for an equivalent player that can score 20 goals and ideally has speed.

Neal is not fast enough to keep up with McDavid 5-on-5 anymore, maybe 5 years ago. He's a useful player just not in that role.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
3 mill for AA, 2.5 bridge for Bear, 3 mill for Haula, Russell and Benning our for picks with Jones and Bouchard replacing them. 2.5 for Greiss.

Neal/AA-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yamo
AA/Neal-Haula-Chiasson
Nygard-Khaira-Archibald
Haas-P.Russell

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson

Kosk
Greiss

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
3 mill for AA, 2.5 bridge for Bear, 3 mill for Haula, Russell and Benning our for picks with Jones and Bouchard replacing them. 2.5 for Greiss.

Neal/AA-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yamo
AA/Neal-Haula-Chiasson
Nygard-Khaira-Archibald
Haas-P.Russell

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Larsson
Jones-Bouchard
Lagesson

Kosk
Greiss

In all honesty think you could lose Chiasson too for Pulju or Benson and free up another bit of cap room.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
14 overall + Russel for Rakell

Right shot, left wing, sniper signed for 2 years under 4m. Would be a perfect fit on Mcdavid's lw, and can play the ovi spot on the pp.
Always thought that Rakell is ideal for McDavid. Smart, dangleistic, creative winger. But he is already 26?

send a rooster player and a prospect for him.

And find an another Maroon type, big body, vreative player.

Moose 11

Sep 15, 2020
McD has been with the oil for how long now 5/6 years and look the wingers the mgmt has given him to play with. Should I start with kassian or Lucic and work my way down. It’s ridiculous the talent that sits on his wings. Forget the 3rd C for goodness sakes. Make a deal or sign ufa for a top flight winger already for this guy. He deserves it for all that he’s put up with on the club.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
McD has been with the oil for how long now 5/6 years and look the wingers the mgmt has given him to play with. Should I start with kassian or Lucic and work my way down. It’s ridiculous the talent that sits on his wings. Forget the 3rd C for goodness sakes. Make a deal or sign ufa for a top flight winger already for this guy. He deserves it for all that he’s put up with on the club.
I'm all for getting McDavid better wingers, but let's not act like he didn't play the majority of his career with a top 10 winger in Draisaitl.

Just like with Crosby and Malkin there are consequences to having two big ticket forwards eating up more than a quarter of your cap and if often means having to get by with some substandard wingers, the plan should be to get each one an established quality top 6 winger and then a value signing who compliments the duo.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That doesn't make any sense, we can probably have AA for 3 million and that's 20 goals on top of whatever Neal gets. We're walking away from that for what exactly?

That's the same thing this team did in gifting away Eberle, Strome, Perron, Schultz, Dubnyk, etc. etc.

Enough is enough.

We can afford AA, if he's getting moved then it has to be for an equivalent player that can score 20 goals and ideally has speed.

Neal is not fast enough to keep up with McDavid 5-on-5 anymore, maybe 5 years ago. He's a useful player just not in that role.

AA has arb rights and it’s likely he exercises them. Just because EDM qualifies him at 3 doesn’t mean he signs at 3. If he is truly a 20-25 goal guy, like you say, he’s going to get awarded more than the 3M, likely 4-4.5. That is what Edmonton doesn’t want, because then you are handcuffed all Summer waiting to see how his Arb case goes because you may need the space.

In Arb I assume the teams ask would be 1 year 3M, AA’s ask will likely be 1 year 5.5-6M, they always go high. And the Arbitrator usually lands in the middle, but being that he had 30G just a season ago, wouldn’t shock me at all to see him get awarded more and be around 4.5.

I agree that Edmonton isn’t going get a better winger at that 3M amount, but it’s more about the 5M they are going to have to leave open just to see how his Arb goes.

Looking at FA this year you could get a guy like Sheary for probably 2M, so Holland probably says.

A similar production player like Sheary 2M>AA 4.5M

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
They managed a single win against a team that Vegas dispatched of easily. I don't consider that impressive in the slightest. I'd prefer to say they didn't make the playoffs so it's less embarrassing.

You seem really down on the team . There always the Flames to cheer for .

The Avs are a good comparison. Made the playoffs missed for a few years drafted some high end D . Went thru a few goalies . The big trade that really pushed them was Barrie to Toronto for Kadri . There no way of knowing how our D will look in 2 years . Broberg is going to be very good . Bouchard needs to work on his defensive game but defence can be taught offensive not so much . Samorukov hits like a truck and will be big if he develop right . Teams are going to dumping players again next year with a flat cap . We have know idea who will shake lose and we will have so cap space .

You also say the Oilers will not finish 2 in the division. Vancouver getting better ? They are in a cap crunch and may lose a few players . Also for every team that goes up a team goes down . Did you predict the Oilers would make the cup final in 2006 ? Dallas this year ?
Oilers will make changes this offseason. I see a new backup goalie , Kris Russell trade , a 3rd line C . I also think AA will be back at like 2 to 2.5 over 3 years . OEL won’t be an Oiler :thumbu: .
Last writing the team off base on a play in where teams were off for 4 months is very short sited . As for your beloved AVS they are in the same boat as us this year . They never won shit !

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
AA has arb rights and it’s likely he exercises them. Just because EDM qualifies him at 3 doesn’t mean he signs at 3. If he is truly a 20-25 goal guy, like you say, he’s going to get awarded more than the 3M, likely 4-4.5. That is what Edmonton doesn’t want, because then you are handcuffed all Summer waiting to see how his Arb case goes because you may need the space.

In Arb I assume the teams ask would be 1 year 3M, AA’s ask will likely be 1 year 5.5-6M, they always go high. And the Arbitrator usually lands in the middle, but being that he had 30G just a season ago, wouldn’t shock me at all to see him get awarded more and be around 4.5.

I agree that Edmonton isn’t going get a better winger at that 3M amount, but it’s more about the 5M they are going to have to leave open just to see how his Arb goes.

Looking at FA this year you could get a guy like Sheary for probably 2M, so Holland probably says.

A similar production player like Sheary 2M>AA 4.5M
Agree with this but my question would be, “why don’t the Oilers just ask AA if he intends to go to arbitration?”

I guess if the answer is, “they did”, and the still don’t qualify we know the answer. Holland’s could very well say after the RFA deadline that they were okay at the 1 year 3M price tag but AA intended to file for arbitration.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So they UFA market for centre is pretty weak. I'm not sold on Haula. Who would you target from a trade perspective? I think Bonino or Jarnkrok would be good options from NSH.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You do realize AA has arbitration rights? AA is getting paid a lot more than 3M

Who would some of his comparables be? How much would his +/- affect his award? I couldn't see him getting any more than $4 million and if he does we have no one to blame but ourselves for overpaying bit players and driving the market up on them.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who would some of his comparables be? How much would his +/- affect his award? I couldn't see him getting any more than $4 million and if he does we have no one to blame but ourselves for overpaying bit players and driving the market up on them.

It’s not just about comparables. The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute
Evidence that is not admissible includes:
  • The salary and performance of a comparable player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent
  • Testimonials, videos, and media reports
  • The financial state of the team
  • The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll
AA agent presents his argument and why he should be paid $6-7m, Holland presents theirs why he should be paid $1.5 to $2m, arbitrator almost always selects near the middle.

The real danger is the arbitrator selects $4.5M - the middle ground - which the Oilers cannot walk away from as the threshold to walk is just over $4.5M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smartguy

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm still kind of in a Pietrangelo or bust mood in terms of big deals.

Other than that, it's about patience.

Look at what introducing a ready Yamamoto did for us. Hughes for Vancouver.

A young star can really change the balance of a team.

Bear, Jones, Pulju, Bouch, Broberg, our 1st this year.

There is still a chance for a couple of these guys to make it and really turn this thing around quick.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

McDavid has had Draisaitl, RNH, Hall or Eberle on his wing his entire career up until last year, the best wingers on the team. It was Draisaitl (the few times he was separated from McDavid) or RNH who had gotten the scraps. Poor RNH and Drai, not poor McDavid. It's about time that he learns how to play with lesser wingers, that's what you get when you're getting paid $12.5M/yr.

Also, you can't forget a #3C. The Oilers have had one of the worst 3rd lines for years. With the strength of the top 6, if the Oilers had an even above average 3rd line they can compete for the division title IMO even with an average defense and goaltending. They had a pretty good season last year with one of the worst 3rd lines at even strength in the league, they were horrendous and it's a big part of the reason why McDavid and Draisaitl carry such a heavy load.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Reading between the lines in Leavins article it sounds like the Oilers are trying to get OEL for this years 1st, a D prospect and Russell, and then flip a LHD for a 1st to replace the one we traded for OEL. So our net asset cost for OEL would be Russell, a D prospect not named Bouchard, Broberg or Jones, and one of Nurse or Klefbom. I do that trade in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad