Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: No News is Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Even if I take you up on that bet, the Edmonton Oilers still need to put him in a lineup for those next couple of years. Are we willing to wait through his development and are we willing to give him the necessary ice time to develop his offensive game?

There are only two RW roles in the Edmonton Oilers' top six. One of them is generally taken by Leon Draisaitl. So sticking with JP's development could be detrimental to the team's ability to produce offense beyond our top-line if he fails to improve.

Jesse may very well figure things out down the road, but keeping him and waiting him out will be detrimental to the team in the short term.

Though I am not saying trade him for Ho Sang. Stay away from Ho Sang.

We're not built to win in the short-term anyway.

Contracts that are hurting us
We are right up against the cap with contracts that are hurting us, Lucic $6m, Kassian $1.9m (disregard last game and refer to the larger sample size), Spooner $3.1m, Sekera $5.5m, Manning $2.25m. As much as I dislike Russell's contract, he is helping us now and we need him next year too.

Trade for Burakovsky
I'd much rather make smart acquisitions at the deadline, and get draft picks for what we have. For example, someone floated a Chiasson + Petrovic + 2019 3rd trade for Burakovsky. I'd be all over that. Chiasson is having a career year, but is much older, you can't count on him continually producing at this level (on a much pricier contract) imo. Burakovsky shows promise, is young enough to grow with the team, but not so young that he's 'green'. He's having a down year, so that trade seems likely... WSH would have to retain unless we made a prior deal.

Trade Talbot
I'd also trade Talbot with 30% retained for a 2nd. People have this idea that we can sign both Talbot & Koskinen to $3m next year and keep them as our goaltending tandem. It sounds nice, but I'm not convinced that's happening. I'm predicting Talbot tests the free agent market and that Koskinen gets a $3.5m deal.

I know a Talbot trade isn't happening, because Chia wants to make the playoffs and we're not quite out of that race.

Test drive Burakovsky
Either he shows promise and projects as a long-term fixture in our top-6 (may even fit in right away), or nothing rhymes and you can package him + the 2019 2nd we acquired from Talbot for something better, more proven.

Reasons for Optimism in our System
Meanwhile, we have Benson having a solid rookie season in the AHL (especially considering his injury history and lack of development in junior as a result), McLeod appears to be our 3C of the future with possible top-6 upside given his tools, Bouchard is... Bouchard, and we have Bear/Persson & possibly Berglund fighting for jobs next season. These are players I think could possibly help us in the near future, but not quite as early as next season. Bouchard is probably the exception.

Play it slow in 2019/20
In 2019/20, I'd refrain from any big moves. We'll have Kassian, Spooner, Benning, and Manning coming off the books at the end of that season. Depending on how well Bouchard or Jones are doing, we can also look at shipping out one of Russell or Sekera (I'd obviously like to clear both contracts but I think that is unlikely). That's $9.15m of cap opening up if you don't account for trading Russell or Sekera.

My conclusion

Our current season may be a wash... if we're still in the race when Klefbomb returns, we may very well make the playoffs. I think 2019/20 is also likely a grim season, just because we're so up against the cap with a lot of marginal players.

For 2020/21 however, we have at least $9.15m of cap space opening up. We have plenty of youngsters coming up, and by then YOU'D THINK at least one of Yamamoto OR Puljujarvi are producing like legitimate top-6 forwards. We have the potential to be very competitive from that season onward.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think we are looking at Eberle with a bit of Rose coloured glasses. I think his defensive game really isn't good enough for the amount of production he brings.

I still think, barring a fantastic deal, trading Puljujarvi would be a move that we will regret moving forward.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If he's a UFA this summer (which you seem to realize he is), how are we "paying more than what we got". We'd be paying only salary and who is to say he isn't signing at $5.5 after a poor season. There are PLENTY of "one-dimensional-high-scoring-wingers" who accept less on their late-twenties contract than what they were making in the mid-twenties. People realize (as we did) that their skills are one-dimensional and they get paid accordingly.

Eberle was traded for three reasons: 1) he wasn't worth $6M if he wasn't scoring (as we tried to build a playoff performer), 2) cap hit and 3) we look a flyer on Strome who could have been more.

Fast forward and we've now seen that a $3 - 4M one dimensional player (thinking Spooner here, but take your pick) isn't anywhere near as effective as a $5-6M Eberle. We played a two year experiment (where one of those years... this one... there was NO WAY we could have kept him with our cap situation) and it didn't work out.

I'd be all for resetting the clock. To me it would show that our mgmt is actually acting on analysis rather than emotion (because nobody feels good admitting they were wrong).

My whole argument against trading Eb’s is that we could have re-signed him at a lower rate when his current deal was done. We haven’t made the playoffs or had secondary scoring since he left and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Ryan Strome was always a bust, there was no potential there for him when we made the deal.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Friedman saying the Oilers have been looking at Zuccarello in his 31 Thoughts

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Reactions: Faelko

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We're not built to win in the short-term anyway. We are right up against the cap with contracts that are hurting us, Lucic $6m, Kassian $1.9m (disregard last game and refer to the larger sample size), Spooner $3.1m, Sekera $5.5m, Manning $2.25m. As much as I dislike Russell's contract, he is helping us now and we need him next year too.

I'd much rather make smart acquisitions at the deadline, and get draft picks for what we have. For example, someone floated a Chiasson + Petrovic + 2019 3rd trade for Burakovsky. I'd be all over that. Chiasson is having a career year, but is much older, you can't count on him continually producing at this level (on a much pricier contract) imo. Burakovsky shows promise, is young enough to grow with the team, but not so young that he's 'green'. He's having a down year, so that trade seems likely... WSH would have to retain unless we made a prior deal.

I'd also trade Talbot with 30% retained for a 2nd. People have this idea that we can sign both Talbot & Koskinen to $3m next year and keep them as our goaltending tandem. It sounds nice, but I'm not convinced that's happening. I'm predicting Talbot tests the free agent market and that Koskinen gets a $3.5m deal.

Test drive Burakovsky. Either he shows promise and projects as a long-term fixture in our top-6 (may even fit in right away), or nothing rhymes and you can package him + the 2019 2nd we acquired from Talbot for something better, more proven.

Meanwhile, we have Benson having a solid rookie season in the AHL (especially considering his injury history and lack of development in junior as a result), McLeod appears to be our 3C of the future with possible top-6 upside given his tools, Bouchard is... Bouchard, and we have Bear/Persson & possibly Berglund fighting for jobs next season. These are players I think could possibly help us in the near future, but not quite as early as next season. Bouchard is probably the exception.

In 2019/20, I'd refrain from any big moves. We'll have Kassian, Spooner, Benning, and Manning coming off the books at the end of that season. Depending on how well Bouchard or Jones are doing, we can also look at shipping out one of Russell or Sekera (I'd obviously like to clear both contracts but I think that is unlikely). That's $9.15m of cap opening up if you don't account for trading Russell or Sekera.

My conclusion

Our current season may be a wash... if we're still in the race when Klefbomb returns, we may very well make the playoffs. I think 2019/20 is also likely a grim season, just because we're so up against the cap with a lot of marginal players.

For 2020/21 however, we have at least $9.15m of cap space opening up. We have plenty of youngsters coming up, and by then YOU'D THINK at least one of Yamamoto OR Puljujarvi are producing like legitimate top-6 forwards. We have the potential to be very competitive from that season onward.
Burakovsky is a player who is likely to be available for free in the summer. His QO is at $3m and as of today he has a grand total of 9 points. He'll be a UFA-- and a cheap one at that. Trading Puljujarvi for an upgrade with term is significantly less detrimental than trading a better performing roster forward and a pick for what is essentially another Strome-like forward who requires a $3m contract.

If the Oilers are keen on keeping Puljujarvi, the 1st is likely on the table for any significant upgrade. Players like Jones and Bear are likely also on the table.

Personally I don't see him making it through the deadline.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
On the Trade board on the mains, there's also a thread about Mckenzie saying Kapanen or Johnsson could be available from T-dot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think we are looking at Eberle with a bit of Rose coloured glasses. I think his defensive game really isn't good enough for the amount of production he brings.

I still think, barring a fantastic deal, trading Puljujarvi would be a move that we will regret moving forward.

Eberle always was, and always will be, what I call an elite secondary player. What I mean by that is if you can put him out with a player who can set him up, and cover for him, he’s a very good piece. He’s not a guy who can drive a line though, so the key is the contract. At 6 million, he doesn’t bring enough away from the puck to be the “type of player you win with”. At 3.5-4 million, he’s a player I’d have on my roster in a heartbeat, because you can afford to have him on a line with a guy better than him.

On the Trade board on the mains, there's also a thread about Mckenzie saying Kapanen or Johnsson could be available from T-dot.

That’s smart of Dubas. Kapanen is a player you want to trade now before everyone realizes he’s turned back into a pumpkin

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Sekera for kapanen and spooner for ferland

Wouldn’t that be nice!

Speaking of Sekera, anyone else worried that his playing days are numbered? Those injuries are tough for players to come back from and even if he does he’s going to be a shell of his former self. Really sucks for us, we could use a Prime Sekera right now.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wouldn’t that be nice!

Speaking of Sekera, anyone else worried that his playing days are numbered? Those injuries are tough for players to come back from and even if he does he’s going to be a shell of his former self. Really sucks for us, we could use a Prime Sekera right now.

I think Sekera is done as a productive NHL player. Missing 2 years in your 30's due to knee/ankle injuries is a death kiss for a player that relies on his skating ability.

Reactions: Faelko

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
you really miss wideman hey. He was the answer.

Manning I understand since we lost depth scoring for a guy we healthy scratch. The other trade was a nothing for nothing trade though

No, but I liked that 3rd a lot better than Petrovic. A 4th and Wideman would have made that a better trade (for a bottom pairing D)

Either way, I can live with that one a lot more than the Manning trade which was pure trash. My largest issue wasn't the players.
Its the overpayment for the players that's unacceptable (you don't overpay for depth).

Reactions: KidLine93

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

JP shouldn't be traded unless it's for another struggling young player with potential. Someone like Patrick or Juolevi. I think at worst, JP will become a 20/20, checking winger.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
TSN Trade Bait Board has the Oilers 2019 1st round pick at number 5 :help:

I see absolutely no scenerio where chia remains employed and the first isn't traded.

He's a man desperate for the playoffs to save his job, a move will be made unless he's canned before then imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia