Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: No News is Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Pirri will be a ufa at the end of the season, at the moment 8 goals in 11 games.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Many players that hold out over extended contract negotiations don’t have very good seasons when they eventually do settle. And the longer it takes, the worse the season. I believe Nylander is a premier player that is worth a big contract. Whether 7 million is too much, we don’t know right now. 17 games in he still looks lost and not up to speed. Not a huge surprise.
Funny how hard it is for a healthy young man to get up to speed. Now take a guy like Sekera after having missed two off-seasons and having two major injuries.

Reactions: subnet

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pirri will be a ufa at the end of the season, at the moment 8 goals in 11 games.
I honestly don't know what his deal is. Does he just ask too damn much and gets overlooked? Then again wasn't he waived a couple times the past couple years?

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I would be more than happy to get Eberle back at 4M, which is what he always should have been making here. He's a relatively consistent 20-25 goal and 50 point player. He had one bad playoff.

The macro problem for the Oilers is their GM's horrid asset and cap management.

There are ways to get out from under this summer though:

Budget only 5M tops for goaltending. That could mean resigning Koskinen at 3 to 3.5M and a back up at 1.5-2M. This is feasible. If not, then shop the market for goaltending that only costs 5M max. Mrazek, Lehner, Howard, Kinkaid, there are numerous low cost goalies who can perform at the same general level that Talbot has this season at a fraction of the cap hit. If you enter the 2019-20 season with Mrazek and Kinkaid as your tandem, but they're only costing you 4M, I'm completely cool with that. The Oilers need to develop their own elite no. 1 and that will take time. For reference, nearly all Cup winners in recent years have developed their own goaltenders:

Quick
Crawford and Niemi
Fleury and Murray

Attempt to package Sekera's contract (4.5M in real dollars remaining for two more years).

Trade Kassian and sign a league min 4th liner to replace him.

Jettison Spooner.

Attempt to move Russell.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would be more than happy to get Eberle back at 4M, which is what he always should have been making here. He's a relatively consistent 20-25 goal and 50 point player. He had one bad playoff.

The macro problem for the Oilers is their GM's horrid asset and cap management.

There are ways to get out from under this summer though:

Budget only 5M tops for goaltending. That could mean resigning Koskinen at 3 to 3.5M and a back up at 1.5-2M. This is feasible. If not, then shop the market for goaltending that only costs 5M max. Mrazek, Lehner, Howard, Kinkaid, there are numerous low cost goalies who can perform at the same general level that Talbot has this season at a fraction of the cap hit. If you enter the 2019-20 season with Mrazek and Kinkaid as your tandem, but they're only costing you 4M, I'm completely cool with that. The Oilers need to develop their own elite no. 1 and that will take time. For reference, nearly all Cup winners in recent years have developed their own goaltenders:

Quick
Crawford and Niemi
Fleury and Murray

Attempt to package Sekera's contract (4.5M in real dollars remaining for two more years).

Trade Kassian and sign a league min 4th liner to replace him.

Jettison Spooner.

Attempt to move Russell.
Move Russell so we could squeeze Eberle in at 4M? Eberle is a liability at this point

Reactions: BudBundy

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Man, all I gatta say is he better win this trade or the fan base is ganna go into full melt down mode.
I don't think we've recovered from the Manning/Petrovic deals yet.
you really miss wideman hey. He was the answer.

Manning I understand since we lost depth scoring for a guy we healthy scratch. The other trade was a nothing for nothing trade though

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

The circle of life.

not sure how a 6M soft winger (whos currently being outscored by Nurse and our PTO Chiasson) would help this team in the slightest, were already in cap hell and Eberle was dead weight. I really hope they are not considering bringing him back

Reactions: BudBundy

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I’ll never understand this line of thinking...this defence can’t afford to lose Russell right now or even next year for that matter.

I would not even consider moving Russell at this point. Perhaps in the summer, he is a very solid NHL defensman, and if they want to make playoffs, they need him

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I know it's Brian Burke, but he said no Gm would sell the farm even if on the hot seat.

I mean is there any example of this in the past? Maybe Burke is right.
Burke is probably right. I don't see a gm doing that if he wants to be a gm with another team. Most likely chia will find work with another club once oilers let him go

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I would not even consider moving Russell at this point. Perhaps in the summer, he is a very solid NHL defensman, and if they want to make playoffs, they need him

I'd move Sekera this summer and keep Russell when their trade protection minimizes. Sekera has larger cap space, and there's still an injury concern until he shows there isn't one on the ice, and players like Russell are always in trade demand, we could add a nice asset when one of the Bakersfield kids takes his job as early as next year's deadline.

North

Jun 25, 2009
not sure how a 6M soft winger (whos currently being outscored by Nurse and our PTO Chiasson) would help this team in the slightest, were already in cap hell and Eberle was dead weight. I really hope they are not considering bringing him back

Pretty sure that person has no sources.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Proposal:
Puljujarvi(RW) + Larsson(RD) + Reider/Spooner
For
Gotsbehere(LD) + Simmonds(RW UFA)

Talbot+1st+Bear/Yamamoto + Benning
For
Parayko + Maroon

STL downgrades to Benning at RD but adds a goalie, 1st and a great prospect.

PHI apparently needs a shutdown top 4 RD and ghost isn't playing so well this year not getting PP time ..

Cap evens out

You must be a Flyers fan

Reactions: Former Referee 68

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I honestly don't know what his deal is. Does he just ask too damn much and gets overlooked? Then again wasn't he waived a couple times the past couple years?

Pirri was cut from making the Panthers this season. McPhee took the gamble on him and Pirri is playing good since playing for Vegas as of late.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’ve never been a Russell fan, but he is having a good year and our right side would be a shambles without him. His trade value is probably at a “peak” right now, but can we really go Larsson, Petrovic, Benning as the RH D corps? Gross.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So you're ignoring that he writes for the Journal just because it's the cult of hockey part of the Journal....riiiiggghhht. We can agree to disagree.
Writing for the journal really means nothing. Cult of Hockey people aren't at the same as a Jim Matheson or Terry Jones.

That guy Willis kid use to write for the Cult of Hockey too, guy knew nothing about the inner works of the team as he wasn't even living in Edmonton.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad