Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Klefbom is Injured, Who Replaces Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is the same group that we had this year when Klefa went down. The team played like crap and the Dmen were skating around like chicken with heads cut off. Nurse\Bear had to play 25min+ per night.

Even with a healthy Klefa this team needs another top 3 Dman. With him out we will not survive.

Oh I agree/know. But the LTIR won't helps us get an adequate replacement. So it's what we are stuck with. Trying to salvage 1/2 a season by ruining the cap of the team would be disastrous.

It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If we can get Ekblad - MAKE IT HAPPEN

Bouchard + 14 + Klef enough??

It’s funny, in Drai’s draft year, it went Ekblad, Reinhart, Drai. I wanted Ekblad bad. He got early entry into the OHL. I think we did pretty good in the draft selection. I still would take Ekblad if something can be arranged

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Really hope the Oilers have a somewhat patient approach here. The NEED is to make the playoffs, not win the Cup right away. If they consistently make the playoff, 97 and 29 will stay with the program.

Needed to lock in playoff appearances:
Better G
1-2 better wingers who can score
3rd line C
D is "good enough" - not to win a Cup, but to make the playoffs

If this team wins a Cup it could well be in 3 years with Broberg and Bouchard in the top 6 on their ELCs still. Would MUCH rather address the above needs (which costs money) than splurge on the likes of Ekblad or OEL.

Oilers team building much more resembles the Caps and Lightning of the past 15 years than the Penguins and Hawks. Pens DRAFTED their stud D in Letang. Hawks did the same with Keith (and to a lesser degree Seabrook).

29 is under contact for 5 more years, McDavid for 6. Make the playoffs during those years is the first order priority. If you have a team that can actually win the whole thing - then mortgage some future. Not now. D group in 2022-23 could easily become Broberg (ELC), Nurse (7M), Bouchard (ELC) and Klefbom (4.17M) - with Bear, Jones and Samorukov also in the mix.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
your saying Arcibald sucked? Did you actually watch any games this year or r ya on a rant? Who do u want on the 4th line Mr Expert?

He's one of those guys who looks busy, but doesn't get a lot done. Real Ryan Jones energy.

He's fine as a plug who can skate with McDavid and not look completely lost, but if he's the best player on his line, we're screwed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chicago may be a team we can do business with, they only have 6 mill in cap room and need to sign Kubalik, Strome, and a starting goalie.

Think we would have interest in either Strome or Kubalik, Maata or De Haan on the back end may have to go too if we need a stop gap on the D.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Chicago may be a team we can do business with, they only have 6 mill in cap room and need to sign Kubalik, Strome, and a starting goalie.

Think we would have interest in either Strome or Kubalik, Maata or De Haan on the back end may have to go too if we need a stop gap on the D.
Jones and Lavoie for Kubalik

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Honestly I think you can probably run

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
____ - Bouchard

Try and dump Russell and find a veteran for cheaper.

Upgrades should be up front and in net imo.

Reactions: gordonhught

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They probably hang on to Kubalik.

Strome they may be amenable to moving and he is McDavid's buddy.

Puljujarvi + Russell
for
Strome + Maata

Is something I could see them biting on. Saves them a lot of actual cash and salary cap space also.

Probably makes McDavid a happy camper.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wasn't there some rumbling Florida was going to try to get Pietrangelo and us why Ekblad's name is appearing?

Yeah, maybe that would make some sense then. If they aren't cash-strapped, and for some reason think that Ekblad isn't "the answer" and Piet IS the answer. They could sign Piet for around 9 (or whatever) and get a pretty good haul for Ekblad.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If we can't pry Ekblad out of Florida, I would at least sign Barrie. We've wanted him for some time. Take him now

Reactions: Markham30

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
____ - Bouchard

that Dcore is absolutely horrid.

Nurse is a top 4 Dman.

Bear is a top 4 Dman but still a bit of a wild card due to inexperience.

Jones is a wild card, but not as good as Bear or Nurse.

Larsson is a bottom pairing Dman based on the last few years of play.

Then you throw a defensively suspect rookie in the mix?

if this is what the D resembles next season, we’re toast before the season starts.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Bouchard has a lot of value, I wonder how high we could go dangling him as a primary trade asset. Maybe we could get Sergachev out of Tampa. If Tyson Barrie was in the mix for us, maybe Cirelli.

With all this talk of big changes across the league, it's really tough to forecast a big organizational shift only floating the obvious guys. Klefbom, on the other hand, offers more value to us on the IR with the potential of returning as a cost-effective LD.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
____ - Bouchard

Upgrading the third line and the goaltending is a far far higher priority than adding to the defense - Although Barrie would be nice

An aggressive, hard hitting, fast skating third line is more a priority

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People putting him in trade proposals is bonkers to me.

The offensive options alone he'll be able to create should make him untouchable
Not like he's getting throw in deals for bottom pairing d-men.

Ekblad is a very good offensive d-man who has been very consistent in that regard since he joined the league. Doesn't hurt that he can play defense too

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
They probably hang on to Kubalik.

Strome they may be amenable to moving and he is McDavid's buddy.

Puljujarvi + Russell
for
Strome + Maata

Is something I could see them biting on. Saves them a lot of actual cash and salary cap space also.

Probably makes McDavid a happy camper.
No way Chicago does this deal

oilers make that trade every day

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Upgrading the third line and the goaltending is a far far higher priority than adding to the defense - Although Barrie would be nice

An aggressive, hard hitting, fast skating third line is more a priority
We've had a weak defense for years that has needed upgrading. With Klef probably gone for the year how is defense not a priority?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t know, last years lukewarm success that turned into complete garbage that was the play-in round doesn’t garner much confidence from me. You really never know what could happen when the team just isn’t that good. Good teams can rely on atleast the playoffs, I don’t think the oilers are there, to me they are still a playoff bubble type team that could either make it or not. For all we know Yamo and Bear could regress and we’re back to 2 years ago.

Hope we see improvements, but as with all Oiler off seasons, Oilers don’t have the assets to land the big talent through trade or the big talent won’t waive for Edmonton. And any UFAs worth a damn won’t give Edmonton a listen. There were better players than the Euro castoffs we got stuck with last off-season available, we just had no chance of signing them as usual.

Especially if Klefbom is out for the season. If Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH can stay healthy all year then we always have a shot but we should be challenging for top team in the league with Mcdavid and Draisaitl on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany