Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | I'll Trade You My Pinto For Your Ferrari

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I get what you're saying and I agree somewhat. I hate buyouts personally but I think theres a lot of good UFA's out there and I think theres likely some good deals to be made.

But saying that, we dont really know how the market is for Edmonton. Whos willing to sign here? How much are they going to cost? We see it all the time in this market, players dont really want to come here unless we are over paying. No point having money for UFA signings if theres no one to sign on reasonable deals. Hopefully Holland has already figured how much cap space is needed to do the things he wants and a Neal buyout isnt necessary to make it work.
Also no point in buying out an overpaid contract just to overpay someone else either.

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
SNET650 - on Markstrom: At some point something has to give. I'm of the belief that as soon as 9:01am comes tomorrow - Calgary will call Jacob Markstrom. They could go 6 years and $6 million a year.
I see Markstrom's agent is leaking a lot of info to the media lately in an effort to drive the price up. :popcorn:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am just curious but why does everyone just assume that Koivu's going to be a perfect mentor for JP? It didnt really seem like Jussi Jokinen did much for him. Obviously Koivu has leadership skills so I agree he should be a good mentor. But the guy might need friendship more than mentorship at this point. Maybe it would be good to bring in some younger finnish players who dont have families that he could bond with.
Who are young Finn's out there that are relatively good that wouldn't cost a ton in assets or cap that are at least 3rd line NHLer?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Who are young Finn's out there that are relatively good that wouldn't cost a ton in assets or cap that are at least 3rd line NHLer?

Erik Haula. I don't see him making more than he did this year (which is still too much for a team that seems content on dressing six RWs every night but that's none of my business...)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
As a 3C?

Haula
Wenneberg
Koivu
Turris

for me, I really like Wenneberg as a player.
Wennberg would be a sneaky good signing IMO but he's an exceptionally flawed player and I'm interested to see how his game would adapt to the Pacific division. The guy is essentially a puck-moving defenseman that plays center. His game fell off pretty quickly on CBJ because opponents know that he never shoots the puck.

Turris was a player I would've been interested in had we flipped him for Neal. I think that now he's a UFA he'd be smart to sign in an Eastern market where he can find some top six ice time. He's a maybe if there's some sort of connection to us, otherwise coming here to play third line minutes wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Haula would be nice and probably cheap. Koivu is probably done.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Odd question. Can Jesse Puljujarvi understand the Swedish language? Is it common for Finns to learn it?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I am just curious but why does everyone just assume that Koivu's going to be a perfect mentor for JP? It didnt really seem like Jussi Jokinen did much for him. Obviously Koivu has leadership skills so I agree he should be a good mentor. But the guy might need friendship more than mentorship at this point. Maybe it would be good to bring in some younger finnish players who dont have families that he could bond with.
Koivu would also be a good mentor for McDavid and Drai. Show them how to play the game the right way.
He was still elite on the dot and decent on PK.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Yeah I am not sure. Maybe Aho or Laine (kidding obviously). It was more of a question to spark some discussion. I think the kid really needs some friends though on the team. Hopefully hes comes over, has a fresh attitude and gets along better with guys on and off the ice.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
damn, that would have been good for us. 1 year left, 4.6 AAV. Klef replacement.

Maybe Holland believes Jones can do it, and that our cap is better spent elsewhere.
I think the same. I have a little bit of insider knowledge that I posted last week about Jones being guaranteed a spot. He is definitely capable at least via the eye test and the scoring chances for/against. He's a way better player than the opportunity he's been given thus far. This will be his breakout year.

Would've been nice to get Murray, but yea...the money is probably best spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad