Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | I'll Trade You My Ham Sandwich For Your Filet Mignon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Summers is not a selling point for free agents. They're not sticking around for them no matter how pretty Edmontonians say it is. They go back home for the summers to be with their families or holiday destinations of young and single.

Basically yeah. If the season was rearranged to Mid January-September, I think Edmonton would do a lot better, because the winter is effectively cut in half and more of the season would be in the spring/summer months when the city is quite pleasant.

That said and I posted this on the Trade Rumors board, I think Edmonton does do OK but with a certain type of UFA. That is mainly two groups.

1.) Canadian born UFAs - More interested in who they play with, future chance of winning with team.

2.) US born UFAs - Want to be in a US market, basically. Canada is bizarro land and they don't want to explain that to their US friends/family even if they themselves are quite familiar with the country.

3.) Russian UFAs - Very life style driven, but it's all about New York, Miami Beach, LA. Chicago is OK. Washington for now is alright because Ovechkin is there but otherwise NY/Miami/LA come first.

4.) Swedish UFAs - Lifestyle driven. Particularily love Vancouver, Sedins being the face of the Canucks for 14 years helps.

5.) Czech/Other Euros - Looking for the best contract.

Oilers do OK with group no.1 and 5, they've beaten out Vancouver for Lucic and Schultz for example and that was mainly because Lucic wanted to play with McDavid and Schultz wanted to play with Hall/Eberle/RNH.

So for us, we have a good chance at say ... Taylor Hall, who probably is actually the biggest UFA available. Not so much with OEL though (not a UFA but since Arizona seems to be intent on dumping him, he may as well be).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am going to get in here, and Get out, Not gonna pretend I like the Oilers, I don't.

That being said;

This is by far the most obvious fake Storyline so far this year.
Imagine Marky going to Sekeres or his "Sources" and saying.

Okay guys!, I worked my whole life to be a UFA, to get paid, let's remove Edmonton who badly need a goalie and have the best player in the world because I don't like the city.
Give me a break.

It makes no sense, If this was a NTC situation, sure, I get it.
But the guy is a UFA, No way he leaks this, completely fabricated.

Matt Sekeres has pulled this type of stuff in the past, many times actually, he is not credible like Rick Dhaliwal or Shah.
Complete bullshit.

Ill let myself out now.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I am going to get in here, and Get out, Not gonna pretend I like the Oilers, I don't.

That being said;

This is by far the most obvious fake Storyline so far this year.
Imagine Marky going to Sekeres or his "Sources" and saying.

Okay guys!, I worked my whole life to be a UFA, to get paid, let's remove Edmonton who badly need a goalie and have the best player in the world because I don't like the city.
Give me a break.

It makes no sense, If this was a NTC situation, sure, I get it.
But the guy is a UFA, No way he leaks this, completely fabricated.

Matt Sekeres has pulled this type of stuff in the past, many times actually, he is not credible like Rick Dhaliwal or Shah.
Complete bullshit.

Ill let myself out now.

Don't leave, in this part of the county we welcome strangers with open arms.

Welcome Brother.

Reactions: McBooya42

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yay, another offseason where I am reminded how utterly impossible it is for the Oilers to build a team. Players we could possibly trade for, nah they NTC us. UFAs who could help, nah won't sign in Edmonton. Oh well, we can always build through the draft, wait nevermind it's also another offseason of complete trash asset management and wasted picks so that probably won't work either.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Yay, another offseason where I am reminded how utterly impossible it is for the Oilers to build a team. Players we could possibly trade for, nah they NTC us. UFAs who could help, nah won't sign in Edmonton. Oh well, we can always build through the draft, wait nevermind it's also another offseason of complete trash asset management and wasted picks so that probably won't work either.

At least things aren't as bad as they were in 2009.

This board was very depressing: Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers was our starter.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Now when Klefbom is out, we pretty mich have to sign AA. Or Im I wrong totally? What else can Holland bring in? He was aleeady from the beginning eith his unredponsible and uninterrestwd play not a good fit for Edmonton unless he gels with McDavid, cant belive Holland just guesses with two 2nd rounders. Its Chiarelli level, but backwards.

Two forwards more are needed. McDavid said the team needs to het better on defence, so they have to listen to him. So then bring in two veteran defense forwards, top 9 quality. Or the best way; comprimise with a new D, and a new defensive forward close to elite. Take a look at Koivu, or Turris now hes close to being bought out. Give him a low million contract.

Nurse Bear
New D - Larsson
Jones - Benning
Russell

The right D side is there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now when Klefbom is out, we pretty mich have to sign AA. Or Im I wrong totally? What else can Holland bring in? He was aleeady from the beginning eith his unredponsible and uninterrestwd play not a good fit for Edmonton unless he gels with McDavid, cant belive Holland just guesses with two 2nd rounders. Its Chiarelli level, but backwards.

Two forwards more are needed. McDavid said the team needs to het better on defence, so they have to listen to him. So then bring in two veteran defense forwards, top 9 quality. Or the best way; comprimise with a new D, and a new defensive forward close to elite. Take a look at Koivu, or Turris now hes close to being bought out. Give him a low million contract.

Nurse Bear
New D - Larsson
Jones - Benning
Russell

The right D side is there.

They need to use Klefbom's LTIR cap overage to get a d-man.

A TJ Brodie I think is the best fit but there are other options. Klefbom is an important part of the team BUT it's mainly because he plays minutes that shelter younger D.

It's not so much that he himself is really that good anymore. He has not been in all honesty a really top D since 2017. That first shoulder surgery did a number on his shot and confidence and I don't think it's ever come back.

I'm not really as worried about the forward group so long as Tippett sticks with DRY line for immediate future. The two line deployment was deadly and turns the Oilers into Pittsburgh Lite ... Pittsburgh is always at least competitive even when Letang is hurt, which is a huge chunk of the time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ristolainen

for

EDM 1st (14th overall) + Russell or Klefbom or Larsson (their choice)

If they chose Klef or Russell it saves Buffalo $3 million or so in actual dollars and there's indicates their ownership does not want to spend a lot next year.

Nurse Risto
Jones Larsson
Blank Bear
Bouchard

Probably need to sign an experienced bottom pairing LD but that shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
They need to use Klefbom's LTIR cap overage to get a d-man.

A TJ Brodie I think is the best fit but there are other options. Klefbom is an important part of the team BUT it's mainly because he plays minutes that shelter younger D.

It's not so much that he himself is really that good anymore. He has not been in all honesty a really top D since 2017. That first shoulder surgery did a number on his shot and confidence and I don't think it's ever come back.

I'm not really as worried about the forward group so long as Tippett sticks with DRY line for immediate future. The two line deployment was deadly and turns the Oilers into Pittsburgh Lite ... Pittsburgh is always at least competitive even when Letang is hurt, which is a huge chunk of the time.
But McDavid is maybe more skilled than Crosby, but Crosby could make a line all by himself

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But McDavid is maybe more skilled than Crosby, but Crosby could make a line all by himself

Connor McDavid was over ppg+ as a rookie with Yakupov and Pouliot ... he can do fine too. I think we babied him and Leon way too much with the security blanket of playing both of them together for ages to the detriment of the team as a whole.

They don't need to play together. Now I mean yo want some skill, but for McDavid it doesn't have to be a superstar player I don't think to get production at least.

Even a "Diet Pittsburgh" is still a team that makes the playoffs, we can be at least that I feel. The main question before was always if Draisaitl could have his own line and produce like a Malkin does ... he answered that and then some this past year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lagesson sign in Sweden and unlike our other guys there I thought he didn't have an out clause in his contract. He shouldn't be available to us as a depth option and I think it's probably for the best we're probably better off with some veteran cover for Jones.

edit: Nevermind found out he does have an out clause on google, I think I read on twitter he didn't get one.

I'm pretty sure a Swedish poster on here was saying that Lagesson's team is basically using the "full year" thing as a loophole to get around the limit of players allowed to be loaned until they go back to the NHL.

He'll be coming back at the same time as the others.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think this is the common assumption but is it really true. When had Crosby really scored at a greater rate than McDavid playing with plugs. Crosby's three highest 5 vs 5 seasons were 66 in 2009-2010, 61 in 2018-2019 and 55 in 2013-2104.

In 2009-2010 he played 313 minutes with Malkin, 626 with Guerin and 887 with Kunitz.

In 2018-2019 he had Jake Guentzel and Bryan Rust.

In 2013-2014 he again had Kunitz. BUt you also need to add that he has almost always played with very good offensive defensemen as well.

McDavid had 50 5 vs 5 point last year in 64 games and before that had seasons of 63, 71 and 64 5 vs 5 points. He has actually generated points at an amazingly consistent rate.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Klefbom was the league leader in ice time for a good stretch last year, and when he is out of the lineup we always get caved. People underplaying his contribution to the team are out of their gourds. His shoulder injury has clearly effected his offensive capability yet he has remained our best option on the PP. Imagine if he didn’t wreck his shoulder after that 12 goal season. He is so shy to shoot with his shoulder pain, its obvious watching him compared to 2016-17 when he was looking to load up the shot as often as possible. This guy would be an undisputed elite stud if he still had that aspect of his game. What if he gets the shoulder surgery and it actually helps? What if he gets his shot and offensive confidence back and stays healthy from there on? It’s a travesty, tbh.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Wonder if it’s possible to sign both Barrie and Brodie with the (potentially) new LTIR cap space. Chances of both coming are next to nothing but fun to think about :laugh:

Brodie - Larsson (tough match ups)
Nurse - Bear (same as last year)
Jones - Barrie (sheltered/offensive starts)

Klef, Russell and Benning out.
Brodie, Jones and Barrie in.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
With Lehner signed in Vegas for 5 mill AAV, Vegas is currently 100k over the cap with only 6 d and 12 forwards

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
After you stay may you never be allowed to leave again.
rrG.gif

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think this is the common assumption but is it really true. When had Crosby really scored at a greater rate than McDavid playing with plugs. Crosby's three highest 5 vs 5 seasons were 66 in 2009-2010, 61 in 2018-2019 and 55 in 2013-2104.

In 2009-2010 he played 313 minutes with Malkin, 626 with Guerin and 887 with Kunitz.

In 2018-2019 he had Jake Guentzel and Bryan Rust.

In 2013-2014 he again had Kunitz. BUt you also need to add that he has almost always played with very good offensive defensemen as well.

McDavid had 50 5 vs 5 point last year in 64 games and before that had seasons of 63, 71 and 64 5 vs 5 points. He has actually generated points at an amazingly consistent rate.

Is Draisaitl a plug? Because Draisaitl and Nugent is two of the most feequent linemates of his.

Kassian is maybe on Dupuis level, Dupuis may be smarter - Kassian far better skater.

McDavid I think benefits more of good players than Crosby does, also b’cause their diffrent playing styles.

If Crosby where in Oilers, I would line up

Benson Crosby Archibald
Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
AAMcLeod Kassian
Khaira Sheahan Chiasson

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Re: Lehner

Too bad, I like him and was holding on to a sliver of hope he'd test free agency.

His contract though, is bang on in term and money from whoever it was who reported it a few weeks back and Lehner denied it. I can't recall who it was though.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad