Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | I'll Trade You My Ham Sandwich For Your Filet Mignon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russel - Bouchard.
Benning

Then after Bouchard has his feet wet.
Jones Bear
Nurse Bouchard
Laggason - Larsson

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lagesson sign in Sweden and unlike our other guys there I thought he didn't have an out clause in his contract. He shouldn't be available to us as a depth option and I think it's probably for the best we're probably better off with some veteran cover for Jones.

edit: Nevermind found out he does have an out clause on google, I think I read on twitter he didn't get one.
If he was going back for the whole year I’m pretty sure he would’ve signed with a SHL club like Frölunda or Djurgardens that he’s got history with. SHL doesn’t like giving guys out clauses so I’m pretty sure that’s why he signed with an Allsvenskan club, because he’s already proved he can be a regular in the SHL.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
For half a season, it’s pretty much whatever. We have more space the following year which will allow us to position ourselves better.

Yeah next year is the time to make a splash. This year try to take advantage of the flat cap and make a couple cheap under the radar acquisitions and try to get some improvement from within.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah next year is the time to make a splash. This year try to take advantage of the flat cap and make a couple cheap under the radar acquisitions and try to get some improvement from within.

If we can move out some salary we could make a splash now. Take advantage of the Covid economy panic similarly to Lowe taking advantage of the post lockout situation. Deal Russell, LTIR Klefbom and scrape up cap space from minor moves ie. Chiasson out, squeeze Bear a little on a 1 year deal before extending him the following season long term, move Khaira out for a cheaper 4th liner, etc.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If we can move out some salary we could make a splash now. Take advantage of the Covid economy panic similarly to Lowe taking advantage of the post lockout situation. Deal Russell, LTIR Klefbom and scrape up cap space from minor moves ie. Chiasson out, squeeze Bear a little on a 1 year deal before extending him the following season long term, move Khaira out for a cheaper 4th liner, etc.
If he's waived to the minors he only counts for $125K against the cap, that's a sum I'm comfortable eating for the insurance of extra center depth should we need it. Though I do hold out some small ember of hope that he can find his offensive game in the AHL, he's shown flashes of it in the past (not so much last season), it seems like he's become afraid of ever holding onto a puck, he's bungled some, but as a rookie he was on the right side of the equation more often than not when he chose to hold it for that extra half second.

That will never ever be Juhjar's norm, but if he applied himself correctly there is atleast some potential for him to a capable checking C who can get 25-30 points. I'm 90% sure he will never reach that future, but something about him prevents me from completely giving up on him.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If he's waived to the minors he only counts for $125K against the cap, that's a sum I'm comfortable eating for the insurance of extra center depth should we need it. Though I do hold out some small ember of hope that he can find his offensive game in the AHL, he's shown flashes of it in the past (not so much last season), it seems like he's become afraid of ever holding onto a puck, he's bungled some, but as a rookie he was on the right side of the equation more often than not when he chose to hold it for that extra half second.

That will never ever be Juhjar's norm, but if he applied himself correctly there is atleast some potential for him to a capable checking C who can get 25-30 points. I'm 90% sure he will never reach that future, but something about him prevents me from completely giving up on him.

He's got skill to be an effective third liner but he has to show consistency in it. He has good offensive instincts. JJs problem is applying it on a regular basis. I'm willing to give him another year. I'm a bit more biased in giving him another chance because me and him are the same ethnicity :nod:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
does this mess up protections for the expansion draft?

mcdavid Drai RNH yam

Nurse Klef bear sergachev

Jones exposed

unless you plan on moving klef
With Sergachev acquired, you obviously move out Klef for a forward/maybe a goalie + something.

Edit: Serg apparently can play the right side and actually likes doing it. So you can keep Klef and stack the top 4 with a Klef - Serg top pairing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Eklund's clearly been drinking the hard stuff.

Mind you....if the Bolts players refuse to move on their NTC they can’t be traded. Killorn has a limited NTC but probably picked the teams that either can’t afford his cap hit or can’t afford the cash hit making him untradeable.

A podcast I listened to on the way to the left coast (God I hate it here) said TB may be forced into moving players they don’t want to move like Sergachev who plays behind Hedman and McDonough.

That said I can’t see them moving Sergachev as they are already light on D and if he can play the opposite side it makes no sense.

But I’d love to have him.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Mind you....if the Bolts players refuse to move on their NTC they can’t be traded. Killorn has a limited NTC but probably picked the teams that either can’t afford his cap hit or can’t afford the cash hit making him untradeable.

A podcast I listened to on the way to the left coast (God I hate it here) said TB may be forced into moving players they don’t want to move like Sergachev who plays behind Hedman and McDonough.

That said I can’t see them moving Sergachev as they are already light on D and if he can play the opposite side it makes no sense.

Not to mention that if Segachev was on the chopping block for ANY reason, there's probably a good 27ish teams that could and would offer better than Bouchard for him.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not to mention that if Segachev was on the chopping block for ANY reason, there's probably a good 27ish teams that could and would offer better than Bouchard for him.

Im sure our first would have to be part of the conversation as well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

I'd be pretty surprised if Sergachev was put on the block. But he would be an awesome offer sheet target. I can't see the Oil stepping up for an offer sheet but someone should stick a finger in Tampa's eye and make their cap situation even worse with an offer sheet. Sergachev is an elite young talent.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why? 30 point OFD asking for $5m+ from a team that desperately needs to clear cap.

Bouchard has three years left of his ELC. He should have immense value to them.

Thats fair but I think TB could leverage a 1st pick and top prospect for him from one of the many teams looking for good young D.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It seems to have a strong niche pull with Swedish players, probably because the Sedins, but not so much with American or Canadian players.

Both Schultz and Lucic were pursued by Vancouver heavily, and both were told "nope" and Edmonton was chosen instead.

The biggest UFA they've signed in recent history is Loui Eriksson ... who is also another Swede, lol.

The Swedes fetishize Vancouver it seems.

It's a nice city, but honestly I would not live there over Alberta given the choice. The constant rain and cloudy weather is just too much, I can take it for 2-3 days, but when it's like a week+ of that, no thanks.
You have enough note worthy players of a certain ethnicity and it tends to happen, they'll get the occasional NHL game back home and the games that get shown tend to focus on teams that have an excess of players of that ethnicity and it creates a feedback loop. The next generation are aware of the great Swedes that came before them and the handful of NHL games they watched as a kid are of that same team which they more than likely become fans of.

Like getting a Russian player to spend more than 2 seasons in the AHL honing their craft seems to be close to impossible, even sometimes getting them to commit to one full AHL season is hard, if they aren't in the NHL they tend to want to go back home to the KHL, but Washington and Detroit before them seemed to have a knack for getting Russians to stick with the program and it's cause they built up themselves as like a homebase for Russian players, they were the teams young Russian kids dreamed of growing up and playing for.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It seems to have a strong niche pull with Swedish players, probably because the Sedins, but not so much with American or Canadian players.

Both Schultz and Lucic were pursued by Vancouver heavily, and both were told "nope" and Edmonton was chosen instead.

The biggest UFA they've signed in recent history is Loui Eriksson ... who is also another Swede, lol.

It's a nice city, but honestly I would not live there over Alberta given the choice. The constant rain and cloudy weather is just too much, I can take it for 2-3 days, but when it's like a week+ of that, no thanks.
Vancouver is a beautiful city, I love the mountains and their downtown is incredible. The weather sucks ass tho, the rain and cloudiness is unbearable.

As much as the winters here can be bad, the summer weather is actually really nice. Edmonton’s summer is perfect imo, we get warm but don’t die in the heat.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Vancouver is a beautiful city, I love the mountains and their downtown is incredible. The weather sucks ass tho, the rain and cloudiness is unbearable.

As much as the winters here can be bad, the summer weather is actually really nice. Edmonton’s summer is perfect imo, we get warm but don’t die in the heat.

Summers is not a selling point for free agents as many of them wont be sticking around unless they're already from Western Canada. Otherwise they go back to Europe or California or wherever theyre from.

As hard as it is to hear, the majority of people would choose a winter of rain than a winter of bone-chilling snow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Yup, they've had a good run with Swedes with Sedins and well before with the likes of Gradin and Naslund among others. Funny they have a solid core of Americaners right now with Hughes, Miller and Boeser, Demko.

Schultz was a major get by the Oil especially with the kid's BC roots. Still too bad it went pare shape in Edmonton. Lucic there was so much negativity with the Cup battle and apparently some off-ice goofiness by zealous fans which might have influenced his decision to avoid Vancouver. Of course Chiarelli's bags of money ruled the day as Lucic had some hope to stay in Los Angeles but took the huge money in Edmonton.

Vancouver's climate is different for sure. I'm a Sasky and appreciate the sunny skies. I loved Cowtown as a city and Chinooks which help in winter. But I don't miss the cold winters and haven't got the rain and cloud blues ... yet. Different strokes but can't see moving back to Alberta even though we still have a great condo in downtown Cowtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad