Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | If OEL Gets Traded Here, Which Defensemen Get Dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Never said Barrie was as good as OEL.

I'm saying him on a one year deal for free is much safer for us.

Much safer and a lot smarter.

On another note I wouldn't hate Maroon coming back especially if he's willing to sign for 900k.

He doesn't have to play with McDavid to be useful but does have the added bonus of actually having been successful when he was played with him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Which is why I've been advocating for adding a top line winger as a priority, but apparently OEL and Pietrangelo are flavour of the month right now

Scoring wasn't the problem in the Chicago series. We had a 3.75 goals per game average and still lost the series 3 to 1. Our defense couldn't keep the puck out of the net and our goaltending was sub-par.
I agree we need a winger for McDavid but is it top priority? I'd be inclined to disagree.

space321

May 11, 2011
Scoring wasn't the problem in the Chicago series. We had a 3.75 goals per game average and still lost the series 3 to 1. Our defense couldn't keep the puck out of the net and our goaltending was sub-par.
I agree we need a winger for McDavid but is it top priority? I'd be inclined to disagree.

Offense and defense is a 5 man unit thing. This team needs to be built from the centre position out because we have McDavid and Draisaitl. Another season with Kassian/Archibald/Neal as McDavid's linemates is another season wasted.

A top line winger would improve this team a lot more than a top D. We have D prospects coming up with Bouchard, and Bear/Jones are more likely to improve than whatever forward prospects we might have (Benson/who else?). Sure in a vacuum, looking at this team might lead people to think a top D would be #1 target, but with how our team is built, and our prospect pipeline, we need a winger.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I'm with you, wingers are always easier to acquire. There's no better time than now to try to acquire a top pairing dman. Our defence has been our biggest problem since Pronger. Acquiring that top pairing would bump every other dman down a notch to where they should be playing.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Offense and defense is a 5 man unit thing. This team needs to be built from the centre position out because we have McDavid and Draisaitl. Another season with Kassian/Archibald/Neal as McDavid's linemates is another season wasted.

A top line winger would improve this team a lot more than a top D. We have D prospects coming up with Bouchard, and Bear/Jones are more likely to improve than whatever forward prospects we might have (Benson/who else?). Sure in a vacuum, looking at this team might lead people to think a top D would be #1 target, but with how our team is built, and our prospect pipeline, we need a winger.

Imo the biggest problem with our D. Is that they play one spot too high. You acquire that top guy and everyone gets bumped down a notch. Would make more of an improvement doing that, than adding a winger.

We definitely need a winger for McDavid but I think adding that dman would move the needle further than adding a high end winger.

Also having a top dman to mentor our young guys would be huge. We haven't had that type of mentor in a very long time

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Imo the biggest problem with our D. Is that they play one spot too high. You acquire that top guy and everyone gets bumped down a notch. Would make more of an improvement doing that, than adding a winger.

We definitely need a winger for McDavid but I think adding that dman would move the needle further than adding a high end winger.

Also having a top dman to mentor our young guys would be huge. We haven't had that type of mentor in a very long time

This is why I think our biggest targets this offseason need to be a defenseman and a goaltender. We need to take advantage of the market.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
In my world a trade for OEL only makes sense on the following conditions:

Neal and his contract go the other way
Arizona picks up 2M/yr of OEL's deal (yes - for the full 8 years)
Oilers keep their 2020 1st round pick

Then it's a question of what the Oilers would include in the deal for Arizona. In my view our 1st in 2021 or Samorukov + Benning. Honestly, I see OEL as a salary dump for Arizona with Edmonton taking on a lot of risk in the long term. If a deal like this doesn't work for Arizona - move along.

Neal (5.75M x 3 years - lets say Oilers retain 1.5M making Neal a 4.25M cap hit for Arizona)
Samorukov
1st in 2021
3rd in 2022
1.5M retained on OEL x 8 years
Salary in (next season): 4.25M
Salary out (next season): 7M

OEL (1.25M/year retained by ARI)
1.5 retained on Neal x 3 years
Salary in: 7M
Salary out: 4.25M

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
I think the question is not defenseman, goalie or winger, but opportunity. If the best deal out there is for position XXX than that is what you do. You are not going to fill all the holes in one year but if there is a great opportunity to add to the team's over all skill level at a manageable cost go for it.
Agreed. It would be great to fix all the issues with the team this offseason, but that will lead to us losing one of those key pieces next summer in expansion. Fix one issue with the team this offseason, which should give us a good chance to replicate last seasons record, and fix the rest next year after expansion.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t think they will end up having the money to spend on Haula, and I don’t see NSH doing anything with Jarnkrok, solid long term deal, also doubt Edmonton can afford to take on Bonino at 4.1.

I don’t really know any legit trade options, most teams that have very good 3C, and there aren’t many, don’t usually move them, Centers are probably the hardest thing to acquire via trade.

I put this elsewhere but if it were me I would have Cody Eakin 1-2 years at 2-3M. He has a track record of being a solid 30+ point player. He’s consistently around 50% on the dot, also plays PK. He’s a more productive version of Shehan essentially. He would cost no assets and I don’t see a tonne of bidders for him after a so-so year.

I think some people are overestimating how much Haula is going to get.

Much like AA, he had one career season two years ago which was far above his career norm, had a serious injury since then and is back to what he really is which is something like a 15-20 goal, 35 point player. I'd be really surprised if he got anything more than $3M on a short term deal, 2-3 years so I think the Oilers will be able to afford him especially with AA likely off the books.
These 2nd/3rd tier free agents are going to be in for a rude awakening if they expect to get paid what they would have pre-COVID.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He would be an upgrade in every aspect over klefbom. Klefbom has a great co tract when he is playing. He has played 1 full season prior to this one. OEL has missed less games over 10 years than Klefbom has in 1 season. So even if he does slow down or get long in the tooth, his skating is phenomenal, and he doesn't get hurt,sooooo what's the Downside? He's a number 4 instead like Jaybo? O ya and he would be able to hit McDavid in stride.

He is a legit #1 or would be for Oilers hands down over any player. Huge upgrade. Gives Broberg and other young D a legit example. He is a captain and prob new A which helps room.

He played with Larsson already ,that would put him with his international partner and his old coaching staff.

It completely changed the look of the team by adding 1 player.

I get why most are worried , but the injury thing nuked that for me especially if it's klefbom going other way.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, my concern is that with a player like OEL who’s game relies so heavily on his sublime skating, losing a step can really hinder his effectiveness, especially with the fact the league is becoming faster as a whole. I think you have to weigh, how many seasons of top end play are you going to get out of him vs. where the cap will eventually go. If you can get 3 seasons of top pairing play followed by another 2-3 of top 4 play then it could line up well with the transition of some younger players as well as increases in the cap making his contract less of an issue.

My opinion is I believe he would come here and provide at least 2 seasons of top pairing play as the type of defender our blue line is lacking.

However it’s very important for the Oilers to take care of their due diligence on this situation. The facts are he’s a player with two seasons consecutive seasons showing regression, he has a nmc and their team is desperate to shed that large salary commitment that comes with substantial risk if he can’t halt the regression in play. If there’s only a few teams that are willing to take on that cap hit for that term and he’s unwilling to waive for most or all of them, I think it’s a situation where the Oilers have to set their price and stick to it.

Considering everything I’d be comfortable doing 14 + a prospect like Maksimov/Lagesson + Neal for the purpose of buyout with us maybe retaining some on Neal. Possibly swapping Samorukov in as the prospect to get a deal done, with maybe a pick or prospect coming back to us.

Some might find that underwhelming but the situation feels like a team desperate to get out from under a huge monetary obligation and between the fiscal position of many teams in the league and the players nmc, they don’t have many options or hold any of the cards.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm with you, wingers are always easier to acquire. There's no better time than now to try to acquire a top pairing dman. Our defence has been our biggest problem since Pronger. Acquiring that top pairing would bump every other dman down a notch to where they should be playing.
This. It's also easier to find wingers who can elevate their game when playing with a top tier center than it is to find a defenseman who will make our current core look better.

Finding a number 1 defenseman will solve a long term problem. We are unlikely to find a stop gap for that problem, whereas temporary fixes on the wing are more likely to find. We need to improve both areas but a long term fix on the blue line has to be a priority over a long term fix on the wing.

space321

May 11, 2011

I agree that our D are playing a spot too high. But our wingers are playing like 4 to 6 spots too high lol.

McDavid needs a skilled winger, he cannot carry two pylons at once. He can only carry one pylon at a time. That's just a fact if you watched the past three years. We only have 1 good winger and that's RNH. Yamamoto is still a question mark at this time as to whether he can be the 2nd best player on a line. We can split our D's ice time like NYI does, but we cannot afford to have another year where splitting up McDrai effectively neuters one of them. They're the two best players in the world and we have to build our team to fully realize that potential.

Goalie is like the least of our concerns. Bring back Smith for another 30 games for all I care. It wouldn't make a difference.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I agree that our D are playing a spot too high. But our wingers are playing like 4 to 6 spots too high lol.

McDavid needs a skilled winger, he cannot carry two pylons at once. He can only carry one pylon at a time. That's just a fact if you watched the past three years. We only have 1 good winger and that's RNH. Yamamoto is still a question mark at this time as to whether he can be the 2nd best player on a line. We can split our D's ice time like NYI does, but we cannot afford to have another year where splitting up McDrai effectively neuters one of them. They're the two best players in the world and we have to build our team to fully realize that potential.

Goalie is like the least of our concerns. Bring back Smith for another 30 games for all I care. It wouldn't make a difference.

How's McD neutered? He scores just fine quth whomever he plays with.
Crosby got the shortend of the winger pool for years and it never hurt him or the team.

What neutures both McD and Drai way more is not having a decent transition player on defense at all times.

That Chi series was lost in our own end and the neutral zone.

Defense is easily the sorrest spot on the team

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Thoughts on bringing back Maroon to play on the top line with McDavid?

I'd be open to that if the contract reflected a 4th-line role. He's definitely a better fit with McDavid than Kassian. Hell he could also play with Draisaitl if needed. Ideally we'd get a much better winger for McDavid, but a cheap Maroon is still an upgrade over many of our bottom-6 players. Unfortunately I expect him to stay in Tampa, good for him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So did Mike Green, until he couldn't anymore. How many of those years did Larsson's team have meaningful success when he was playing against the best players? And how many defensive defencemen are on top pairings in the NHL and don't have an elite offensive partner?

If Larsson wasn’t injured we wouldn’t have had Bear against Toews getting outmuscled for the winning goals in games 3 and 4. I compare Larsson to someone like Vlasic. Doesn’t get much attention because he’s not scoring points but is vital to team success. The problem is that we don’t have a Karlsson or Burns to pair him with.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Crosby got the shortend of the winger pool for years and it never hurt him or the team.

What neutures both McD and Drai way more is not having a decent transition player on defense at all times.

I don’t know why we complain about wingers for Mcdavid. Crosby has always been paired with project and bottom six wingers and turned them into productive players. Mcdavid has done the same with almost everyone he’s played with.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

space321

May 11, 2011

McDavid scored like half his points on the PP. Especially during that run where Drai-RNH-Yams was together, McDavid mostly scored PP or solo. Rarely did he connect with his wingers consistently.

We've seen McDavid on another level before, when Draisaitl was his winger, and with two pylons, we don't see that McDavid often enough. He definitely is neutered by shitty wingers.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think some people are overestimating how much Haula is going to get.

Much like AA, he had one career season two years ago which was far above his career norm, had a serious injury since then and is back to what he really is which is something like a 15-20 goal, 35 point player. I'd be really surprised if he got anything more than $3M on a short term deal, 2-3 years so I think the Oilers will be able to afford him especially with AA likely off the books.
These 2nd/3rd tier free agents are going to be in for a rude awakening if they expect to get paid what they would have pre-COVID.

Something a lot of fans fail to realize, in a player like Haula and AA for that matter, that yes they will take discounts this year to play, but those discounts won’t be to play in Edmonton.

Edmonton has always had overpay/overterm FA unless they had literally no other option. So yes they will be able to scoop up some 2nd/3rd Tier guys for cheap this year, but those guys aren’t Haula.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad