Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | If OEL Gets Traded Here, Which Defensemen Get Dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Can we get some discussion around who might be the answer at 3C? That and a 1a/1b goalie are probably our biggest holes at the moment.

I'm not convinced Haula is the best option. Reports suggest that Koivu will be heading back to Finland. Who would you target for a trade beyond Nashville (Bonino/Jarnkrok)?

Bonino would be decent. Contact is a bit pricey but there's only one year left

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can we get some discussion around who might be the answer at 3C? That and a 1a/1b goalie are probably our biggest holes at the moment.

I'm not convinced Haula is the best option. Reports suggest that Koivu will be heading back to Finland. Who would you target for a trade beyond Nashville (Bonino/Jarnkrok)?

Granlund.

Eakin could also bounce back.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was reported last week that Calgary and Buffalo were interested but OEL was not, and he loves Arizona. Has a beautiful place there.

But he loved playing for Playfair and Tip, Edmonton is a 3 hour flight to Phoenix, the Coyotes are entering another 5 years of being in a financial black hole, and there are the advantages of playing with the 2 best forwards on the planet plus his D partner from Sweden National Team (Larsson).

So while I never read that he’d only come to Edmonton per se, the articles said Edmonton was a go while the other markets mentioned were a no.
there's a lot of uncertainty about travel across the border in the new season too though. You'd have to think any Cali team, or Colorado, or other teams somewhat close in the USA have the edge

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
sportsfan944804 said:
Have you looked at this proposal? Keep in mind, for us to rid ourselves of Russell's salary to any team, would cost us similarly what it cost Toronto to unload Marleau (a 1st round pick).

I know that us fans enjoy coming up with ludicrous trade proposals to feel good, and dream or whatever, and this is especially done towards other fanbases who don't have enough fans to defend themselves...but good lord man. You really think we are going to get OEL for Samorukov? AND they're going to retain 1.5 mil? What clown world are you operating in? Or which clown world is Kurt Leavins operating in?

Obvious click bait for poor Oilers fans waiting around for something to happen. Grasping at any morsel of information or hope that we will finally acquire the fabled #1 defenceman missing since 2006. Well, imagine all we had to do this whole time was trade some random prospect who will be lucky to crack an NHL roster and a cap dump? LOL? For a #1 defenceman.

Yea, you guys really need to reconsider what is going on here. If OEL does get traded, it is for a package involving one of our young roster defenceman (Nurse/Bear/Jones), at least a 1st round pick...and if we want to rid ourselves of Russell, we are adding more. Puljujarvi perhaps.

I swear, sometimes I read through these threads and am basically praying that half of you are trolling at this point.
The proposal's not really mine, Stauffer has been hinting at that general outline for weeks and Leavins brought up the fact retention would be on the table.

First thing pre and post covid world are entirely different so many teams hemorrhaged boat loads of cash with the NHL being a gate driven business and that is aside from some of the owners losing a lot of money in their business ventures outside of hockey which is more a hobby for the rich than a business venture. When your core businesses lose money you tend to want to get more frugal with regards to your pet hobbies.

In 2019-20 with Marleau, the potential avenues for unloading Marleau's $6.25M cap-hit were very minimal, it's a completely different landscape in next years market, also Marleau had an NMC and only accepted the trade so he could be bought out and go back to SJ. In this upcoming season the number of teams who have zero intention of going right up to the cap will increase pretty dramatically, with a higher focus on real dollars versus cap dollars, the $1.5M Russell is owed for what he contributes is a paltry sum in todays market he should absolutely carry positive value.

Next IMO OEL has zero value whatsoever at his full cap-hit given the seasons he's had of recent, he has not been playing at all like a #1 d-man, you'd have to be an idiot to jump at taking on his $8.25M with 7 years remaining deal (5th highest paid d-man in the league), it's only through retention that he starts to have value. On top of that OEL can restrict the teams options for where they can trade him with his NMC and the looming $54M owed to him for a cash starved team makes the prospect of moving him seem likely and almost forced. When you shrink the number of potential suitors through an NMC and through the sheer amount of money owed to OEL so poor/frugal owners have issues even engaging in the discussions it should lead to a stronger trading position for us.

It seems from what's been hinted out there Russell and a 1st would be going for OEL (/w retention) the sticking points are likely how much retention and what D prospect, the D prospect involved and the amount of retention are what fans are guessing at (also need to make sure Russell's NTC doesn't conflict or have Russell agree to waive it).

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I don’t think they will end up having the money to spend on Haula, and I don’t see NSH doing anything with Jarnkrok, solid long term deal, also doubt Edmonton can afford to take on Bonino at 4.1.

I don’t really know any legit trade options, most teams that have very good 3C, and there aren’t many, don’t usually move them, Centers are probably the hardest thing to acquire via trade.

I put this elsewhere but if it were me I would have Cody Eakin 1-2 years at 2-3M. He has a track record of being a solid 30+ point player. He’s consistently around 50% on the dot, also plays PK. He’s a more productive version of Shehan essentially. He would cost no assets and I don’t see a tonne of bidders for him after a so-so year.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

speaking of Nashville I really liked the suggestion of a Neal for Turris swap, even though Turris has one more year compared to Neal. If Nashville was thinking buyout, they would do it for sure.

I definitely think it's worth asking Koivu about that.

Granlund.

Eakin could also bounce back.
I'd think someone will give Granlund some real cash though. He'd seem more like an interesting AA replacement with some center upside than a clear 3C signing. He was on wing often in Nashville it seems. But he can play center so if the money is right I'd like it.

I'd like Eakin I guess. Is he so much better than Sheehan though?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I am very afraid that if Holland blows his load for OEL, the Oilers will never get over the hump. We will be tying ourselves to a declining asset, handcuffing any cap space for the next 7 years, and practically guaranteeing insufficient depth. The smart move is to allow Bouchard and Broberg to develop. Count on growth from Bear and Jones. Hope you hit with the 14th pick. We should be challenging now, but Chiarelli saw to that. Hopefully Holland doesn’t do the same.

Reactions: Duke74

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The lack of self awareness of Nicholson saying that Holland gets a pass because he didn't have much to work with is pretty priceless.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
speaking of Nashville I really liked the suggestion of a Neal for Turris swap, even though Turris has one more year compared to Neal. If Nashville was thinking buyout, they would do it for sure.

I definitely think it's worth asking Koivu about that.

I'd think someone will give Granlund some real cash though. He'd seem more like an interesting AA replacement with some center upside than a clear 3C signing. He was on wing often in Nashville it seems. But he can play center so if the money is right I'd like it.

I'd like Eakin I guess. Is he so much better than Sheehan though?

Sheahan is probably done. I'm not sure he gets a contract next year.

If not Eakin, Johan Larsson is also a FA.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
A 1st and Samorkuov is actually not that bad of a package for a overpaid D-man with declining production.

If OEL really will only waive for Edmonton, Arizona is kinda screwed there. He's the single biggest way to cut costs, so they may have to take whatever they can get. To be honest I'd try and force their hand with Russell + Lagesson + 1st.

If OEL only wanted to come here we would have them by the balls. I'd include James f***ing Neal in the trade :laugh:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
there's a lot of uncertainty about travel across the border in the new season too though. You'd have to think any Cali team, or Colorado, or other teams somewhat close in the USA have the edge

Problem is none of the Cali teams or Col are in a position to take OEL on. LA and ANA are in full rebuild mode and Doughty is the Alpha dog in LA. Sharks have two number 1 D men already. Colorado has the best young D corps in the league and need cap space to pay them. OELs deal doesn’t fit there.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The biggest issue with Arizona is pretty much all of their other guys they’d move were paid massive bonuses already, and make lower salaries. Stepan and Kessel for example only saves them 3 million if they’re moved

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Maybe trading for Lucas Wallmark if Florida wants to pinch too many pennies and they don't come to a deal.

I wouldn't mind Riley Nash too assuming Chiasson or Russell go the other way. A little pricey at $2.75M for one year, but he'd be a decent defensive center for a line with AA and Kassian or Pulju.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The lack of self awareness of Nicholson saying that Holland gets a pass because he didn't have much to work with is pretty priceless.

I have been laughing at that quote since I saw it this morning.

Cmon, Bobby, who hired Chia, you know this one, you can do it...

Reactions: oobga

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe trading for Lucas Wallmark if Florida wants to pinch too many pennies and they don't come to a deal.

I wouldn't mind Riley Nash too assuming Chiasson or Russell go the other way. A little pricey at $2.75M for one year, but he'd be a decent defensive center for a line with AA and Kassian or Pulju.
Assuming a flip for Kris Russell, Brandon Sutter, Matthew Perrault and Darren Helm come to mind.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
idk, are the fans really that upset with Holland? He had almost no cap space to work with. I guess the AA gamble was wrong, but that move and Green were impacted by Covid.

I give Holland a total pass so far. However, this offseason is very different. There's a lot of movement happening. A lot of key decisions. There are no excuses now.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Mikko Koivu might be good as a 3C.

Didn't think Minny would let him go. Great on faceoffs, an excellent depth veteran for some of the younger guys, Finnish to help Pulju. Likely affordable to boot.

Its low on the list of things to acquire, obviously, but this team missed a glue guy. Hendricks was great at that, Gagner was too (and got exiled for the Green ghost). A long time captain like Koivu could be that kind of guy.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad