Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | If OEL Gets Traded Here, Which Defensemen Get Dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We have heard and speculated about names like Russell, Klefbom and Nurse potentially moving out to make room for OEL. We have also heard about a possible prospect moving out and it seems like many of us have speculated that it might be Samorukov.

I read that Jones wants a bigger role on the team and wonder if he might be the odd man out if Holland and Tippett see Broberg as a guy that's ready for 3rd pairing minutes? How would this potentially impact our expansion draft list?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Have you looked at this proposal? Keep in mind, for us to rid ourselves of Russell's salary to any team, would cost us similarly what it cost Toronto to unload Marleau (a 1st round pick).

I know that us fans enjoy coming up with ludicrous trade proposals to feel good, and dream or whatever, and this is especially done towards other fanbases who don't have enough fans to defend themselves...but good lord man. You really think we are going to get OEL for Samorukov? AND they're going to retain 1.5 mil? What clown world are you operating in? Or which clown world is Kurt Leavins operating in?

Obvious click bait for poor Oilers fans waiting around for something to happen. Grasping at any morsel of information or hope that we will finally acquire the fabled #1 defenceman missing since 2006. Well, imagine all we had to do this whole time was trade some random prospect who will be lucky to crack an NHL roster and a cap dump? LOL? For a #1 defenceman.

Yea, you guys really need to reconsider what is going on here. If OEL does get traded, it is for a package involving one of our young roster defenceman (Nurse/Bear/Jones), at least a 1st round pick...and if we want to rid ourselves of Russell, we are adding more. Puljujarvi perhaps.

I swear, sometimes I read through these threads and am basically praying that half of you are trolling at this point.

There are some fantastical trade proposals on the forum no question. However, Russell actually has positive trade value to the teams that have a low internal cap and AAV.

Marleau is completely different case as he had a high salary along with a high AAV unlike Russell plus a much higher AAV to boot than Russell, and it took a 1st because it was an outright buyout whereas Russel will be a contributing player.

Your also forgetting OEL holds all cards with his NMC. He chooses where he wants to go. If it’s Edmonton and only Edmonton (which is what has been reported) then Arizona loses a ton of value in a trade due to no competing offers.

Remember that the main reason Arizona is considering to move OEL is to get out from underneath a long term $56M obligation and recoup a number 1 pick. Nothing else.

We would be sending a first, Russell and a good D prospect. Does that do it - probably not. But Arizona’s new owners are bleeding cash like crazy in their mainstream businesses not to mention the Coyotes which reportedly lost upwards of $40M this season, and are looking to move at minimum $20M out the door and get draft picks, prospects and low salary vs high AAV players like Russell, back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We have heard and speculated about names like Russell, Klefbom and Nurse potentially moving out to make room for OEL. We have also heard about a possible prospect moving out and it seems like many of us have speculated that it might be Samorukov.

I read that Jones wants a bigger role on the team and wonder if he might be the odd man out if Holland and Tippett see Broberg as a guy that's ready for 3rd pairing minutes? How would this potentially impact our expansion draft list?

I think Benning is not qualified and if we pickup OEL then you’d have to think Russell is moved. If Holland can make the deal without moving Nurse or Klefbom but wants to to recoup the first round pick I can see one of Klef or Nurse being moved for a first and a possibly a 3C. My guess it would be Klefbom but Klefbom has a team friendly contract whereas Nurse will command a lot of money soon in a flat cap world so using dollars and cents logic it would be Nurse.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
There are some fantastical trade proposals on the forum no question. However, Russell actually has positive trade value to the teams that have a low internal cap and AAV.

Marleau is completely different case as he had a high salary along with a high AAV unlike Russell plus a much higher AAV to boot than Russell, and it took a 1st because it was an outright buyout whereas Russel will be a contributing player.

Your also forgetting OEL holds all cards with his NMC. He chooses where he wants to go. If it’s Edmonton and only Edmonton (which is what has been reported) then Arizona loses a ton of value in a trade due to no competing offers.

Remember that the main reason Arizona is considering to move OEL is to get out from underneath a long term $56M obligation and recoup a number 1 pick. Nothing else.

We would be sending a first, Russell and a good D prospect. Does that do it - probably not. But Arizona’s new owners are bleeding cash like crazy in their mainstream businesses not to mention the Coyotes which reportedly lost upwards of $40M this season, and are looking to move at minimum $20M out the door and get draft picks, prospects and low salary vs high AAV players like Russell, back.

I like what u got here. Just curious on the rumour. Is OEL interested in playing with Drai and Jesus?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Has there actually been something credible saying OEL only wants to play in Edmonton?

If that's a case, they should be happy to just get the 1st and Russell.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A 1st and Samorkuov is actually not that bad of a package for a overpaid D-man with declining production.

If OEL really will only waive for Edmonton, Arizona is kinda screwed there. He's the single biggest way to cut costs, so they may have to take whatever they can get. To be honest I'd try and force their hand with Russell + Lagesson + 1st.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020

It seems that most of YOU have forgot the bolded, not I. Edmonton and only Edmonton? Which it what has been reported? Where? There are a litany of teams in the mix for that player. Lots of these players are from teams who can not only offer a better deal at the moment, but also have more cap space allowing Arizona to not retain anything, and would be more favourable destinations for a superstar player looking to live comfortably. You know, maybe for a guy who has lived in a desert his entire career. Boston has been linked to OEL trade talks, and are a power house team looking for their Chara replacement. I can come up with at least 10 better fits for OEL than Edmonton, and this absurd idea some of you've concocted over the last few days that OEL will come here because of Dave Tippett is having me laughing.

Sorry for trying to rain on your parade or whatever, but this nonsense has to end.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Has there actually been something credible saying OEL only wants to play in Edmonton?

If that's a case, they should be happy to just get the 1st and Russell.

It was reported last week that Calgary and Buffalo were interested but OEL was not, and he loves Arizona. Has a beautiful place there.

But he loved playing for Playfair and Tip, Edmonton is a 3 hour flight to Phoenix, the Coyotes are entering another 5 years of being in a financial black hole, and there are the advantages of playing with the 2 best forwards on the planet plus his D partner from Sweden National Team (Larsson).

So while I never read that he’d only come to Edmonton per se, the articles said Edmonton was a go while the other markets mentioned were a no.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It seems that most of YOU have forgot the bolded, not I. Edmonton and only Edmonton? Which it what has been reported? Where? There are a litany of teams in the mix for that player. Lots of these players are from teams who can not only offer a better deal at the moment, but also have more cap space allowing Arizona to not retain anything, and would be more favourable destinations for a superstar player looking to live comfortably. You know, maybe for a guy who has lived in a desert his entire career. Boston has been linked to OEL trade talks, and are a power house team looking for their Chara replacement. I can come up with at least 10 better fits for OEL than Edmonton, and this absurd idea some of you've concocted over the last few days that OEL will come here because of Dave Tippett is having me laughing.

Sorry for trying to rain on your parade or whatever, but this nonsense has to end.

You're nonsense.

Many players in the course of NHL history have preferred to play for a coach they liked. So until you show proof OEL isn't one of those guys, you have no clout

OEL is on record saying he will move back to Sweden once he is done in the NHL, so again, your "comfortable" climate theory is nonsense

What teams can offer a "better" deal? 1st rounders are extremely valuable, and the Oilers have a history of finishing below 15. So a team like Boston has zero evidence of offering a better deal w/ a 1st in the late 20's generally

Your made up posts need to end

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Boston can sign AP and not give up any assets. Plus Boston is strapped to the cap with a lot of RFA’s to sign and may be walking away from Krug this off season.

OEL loved playing for Tip and Playfair and that’s a fact. As for the reports it was in several last week and also in some subscription based reports.

Anyway OEL may be traded to another team, but not many teams are looking to add $56M to their salary right now.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
You're nonsense.

Many players in the course of NHL history have preferred to play for a coach they liked. So until you show proof OEL isn't one of those guys, you have no clout

OEL is on record saying he will move back to Sweden once he is done in the NHL, so again, your "comfortable" climate theory is nonsense

What teams can offer a "better" deal? 1st rounders are extremely valuable, and the Oilers have a history of finishing below 15. So a team like Boston has zero evidence of offering a better deal w/ a 1st in the late 20's generally

Your made up posts need to end

Bolded is a non-sequitar. If anything moving back home after hockey to where he grew up and would be most comfortable further proves my point. If anything, it shows he values comfortability.

You misread what I said. I claimed Boston has been linked to talks for OEL, and you're choosing to 'forget' that OEL has a NMC. It isn't Arizona sitting here waiting for the best offer and shipping him out there. Boston can offer more to OEL than we can is what I was saying, and I'm sure you must have known that. If you couldn't piece that together then I can understand why you ACTUALLY think these nonsense rumours are full of potentiality.

Trust me, I get it -- the lockdown stuff is getting us all a little antsy. We all want the Edmonton Oilers to win the Cup and have long term success. We're all on the same side here. I just can't stand this lunacy some of you are proposing in here. Let's have a real discussion using rational values of players. Hell, even Bob Nicholson said there would be no 'major' changes to the roster -- only tinkering. Not sure what he considers major but I doubt anyone thinks adding OEL would be tinkering.

Not that he's the most reliable source of information, but...better than Kurt Leavins or bobbythebrain online. :laugh:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Holy overreaction Batman. 5 mins 4 fighting never said OEL is requesting to play here. He just brought it up as a hypothetical.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I think there’s a lot of outlandish proposals through this thread, so I find it funny you draw the line on OEL, arguably the only “big” name I could see Edmonton actually acquiring, and being reported that they checked in on him too.

But the Alex Pietrangelo stuff is cool?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bolded is a non-sequitar. If anything moving back home after hockey to where he grew up and would be most comfortable further proves my point. If anything, it shows he values comfortability.

You misread what I said. I claimed Boston has been linked to talks for OEL, and you're choosing to 'forget' that OEL has a NMC. It isn't Arizona sitting here waiting for the best offer and shipping him out there. Boston can offer more to OEL than we can is what I was saying, and I'm sure you must have known that. If you couldn't piece that together then I can understand why you ACTUALLY think these nonsense rumours are full of potentiality.

Trust me, I get it -- the lockdown stuff is getting us all a little antsy. We all want the Edmonton Oilers to win the Cup and have long term success. We're all on the same side here. I just can't stand this lunacy some of you are proposing in here. Let's have a real discussion using rational values of players. Hell, even Bob Nicholson said there would be no 'major' changes to the roster -- only tinkering. Not sure what he considers major but I doubt anyone thinks adding OEL would be tinkering.

Not that he's the most reliable source of information, but...better than Kurt Leavins or bobbythebrain online. :laugh:

They can?

They have an aging core, Macevoy is their number 1 D, a cross country flight to his home, it rains a lot and people eat a lot of clam chowder.
Here, his 2 beloved coaches, 97 and 29 with a younger core, be the number 1 D on the number 1 PP, play with his Swedish National Team partner, and be 3 hours to his home in Phoenix, and it snows a lot like Sweden.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They can?

They have an aging core, Macevoy is their number 1 D, a cross country flight to his home, it rains a lot and people eat a lot of clam chowder.
Here, his 2 beloved coaches, 97 and 29 with a younger core, be the number 1 D on the number 1 PP and be 3 hours to his home in Phoenix, and it snows a lot like Sweden.

To be fair I like clam chowder.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
I think there’s a lot of outlandish proposals through this thread, so I find it funny you draw the line on OEL, arguably the only “big” name I could see Edmonton actually acquiring, and being reported that they checked in on him too.

But the Alex Pietrangelo stuff is cool?
I already shut down the Pietrangelo nonsense earlier. Don't worry. :naughty:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Can we get some discussion around who might be the answer at 3C? That and a 1a/1b goalie are probably our biggest holes at the moment.

I'm not convinced Haula is the best option. Reports suggest that Koivu will be heading back to Finland. Who would you target for a trade beyond Nashville (Bonino/Jarnkrok)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->