Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | If OEL Gets Traded Here, Which Defensemen Get Dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
idk, are the fans really that upset with Holland? He had almost no cap space to work with. I guess the AA gamble was wrong, but that move and Green were impacted by Covid.

I give Holland a total pass so far. However, this offseason is very different. There's a lot of movement happening. A lot of key decisions. There are no excuses now.

I don't think people that too unhappy with Holland. I was mainly talking about how Nicholson is saying Holland didn't have much to work with. Who was the guy sitting around with his thumb up his butt while the guy he hired (Chia) was tanking the teams assets and putting us in a cap crunch?

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Idk if it’s just me but I’m concerned about the obsession of this board towards OEL.

That contract is f***ing apocalyptic, especially for a guy turning 30.

I’d rather chance it on our rookies and prospects than invest in a great defencemen on a debilitating contract.

You all have to realize that signing OEL means we likely either trade or let the following hit FA:

Bear
Bouchard
Broberg

More than likely it won’t be one, it’ll be two. So think a little bit HFOil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Arizona's financial situation extends far beyond this coming season.
This is why I think Russell would be a must return for OEL if it happens. Gives Oilers short term relief and ARI long term.
Hopefully they won't ask for Bouchard or Bear in that package.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is why I think Russell would be a must return for OEL if it happens. Gives Oilers short term relief and ARI long term.
Hopefully they won't ask for Bouchard or Bear in that package.

Oilers financials go far beyond this year.

Nurse and OEL both on big contracts is unsustainable.

Neal and Nurse have to be key to the bargain. Not that I want OEL but hard to imagine having enough cap space otherwise.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Idk if it’s just me but I’m concerned about the obsession of this board towards OEL.

I’d rather chance it on our rookies and prospects than invest in a great defencemen on a debilitating contract.

You all have to realize that signing OEL means we likely either trade or let the following hit FA:

Bear
Bouchard
Broberg

OEL-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard

When Nurse' deal is up you swap him with Broberg and give raises to Bouch and Bear
When Klefa's deal is up you pay Broberg.

We may not have to walk away from young guns and can walk from Larsson, Nurse and Klefa instead as they become UFAs

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If OEL only wanted to come here we would have them by the balls. I'd include James f***ing Neal in the trade :laugh:

My offer to Arizona would be a take it or leave it offer:

Neal (they buy him out)
AA (qualify or trade his rights)
Russell
Samurokov
2021 1st

Arizona only spends under 14 million real dollars if they take this trade.

Edmonton gets OEL and Grabner. They spend around 56 million in real dollars.

I would then trade Nurse to Winnipeg for Ehlers.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers financials go far beyond this year.

Nurse and OEL both on big contracts is unsustainable.

Neal and Nurse have to be key to the bargain. Not that I want OEL but hard to imagine having enough cap space otherwise.
I get why putting Neal is ideal for us, but it totally destroys the chance of a deal. The whole point of trading OEL is to shed spending. Neal's deal is evenly spread. It's huge cash for a non-performer. Total non-starter, and someone will easily beat that.

Neal's deal is 3 years. So, how about signing Bear for 3 years, so his next deal kicks in when Neal's deal is over? Also, if we trade Nurse and keep Klef, Klef's current deal is over in 3 years too. Caleb Jones only has 2 years left, so sign him to one extra bridge deal to 1 year. Try to do the same for Yamamoto. We could sign that deal this summer even, and it would even be appropriate for a player drafted where he is. Bouchard's ELC would line up well too. Then, Neal's deal isn't even an albatross. It's just ear-marked cash for raises on these guys. We wouldn't want to touch it.

There are all kinds of ways to engineer your long term cap to accomodate a player like OEL, without making Arizona do all the work to make it fit for us.

Reactions: McDoused

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I am very afraid that if Holland blows his load for OEL, the Oilers will never get over the hump. We will be tying ourselves to a declining asset, handcuffing any cap space for the next 7 years, and practically guaranteeing insufficient depth. The smart move is to allow Bouchard and Broberg to develop. Count on growth from Bear and Jones. Hope you hit with the 14th pick. We should be challenging now, but Chiarelli saw to that. Hopefully Holland doesn’t do the same.

Players don't develop properly on bad teams. Oiler fans should know this all too well

Bear and Jones don't have top pair potential, they never had that moniker on them, so that's a terrible plan

McD and Drai deserve better than to try and outscore every win

At the worst a player like OEL still moves the needle by helping out offensively while allowing the other d to not play above their depth

The best scenario he thrives again being able to play with players who can crack 60 points without his help

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I get why putting Neal is ideal for us, but it totally destroys the chance of a deal. The whole point of trading OEL is to shed spending. Neal's deal is evenly spread. It's huge cash for a non-performer. Total non-starter, and someone will easily beat that.

Neal's deal is 3 years. So, how about signing Bear for 3 years, so his next deal kicks in when Neal's deal is over? Also, if we trade Nurse and keep Klef, Klef's current deal is over in 3 years too. Caleb Jones only has 2 years left, so sign him to one extra bridge deal to 1 year. Try to do the same for Yamamoto. We could sign that deal this summer even, and it would even be appropriate for a player drafted where he is. Bouchard's ELC would line up well too. Then, Neal's deal isn't even an albatross. It's just ear-marked cash for raises on these guys. We wouldn't want to touch it.

There are all kinds of ways to engineer your long term cap to accomodate a player like OEL, without making Arizona do all the work to make it fit for us.

I see Bear as a #4. He got eaten alive by the Toews line during the playin series. That’s why we need Larsson or another bonafide top pairing Dman, to keep other Dmen in their proper spot.

Before all the Larsson haters start saying that he isn’t a top pairing Dman, he’s spent most of his career playing against the best players. Not every top pairing player provides offense, some are needed to shut down the other team.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Bear
Bouchard
Broberg

Firstly, we just saw a 37 year old Duncan Keith make our defense look pathetic in comparison in the playoff round. I’m not saying OEL=Keith by any means, but smooth skating puck moving defensemen tend to age quite well. I know people have concerns about his play the last year or so, but considering almost every Coyote has stagnated/regressed under Tocchet and a number of them have exploded after being moved I think that plays a lot into it. He’d be re-energized by playing under a couple coaches he admittedly loved playing for.

Secondly, Broberg and Bouchard will be RFAs for the entirety of OELs remaining contract. If they both break out to the point where they’re demanding massive extensions we should be thanking our lucky stars because that’ll mean we’ve likely won a Cup or two by that point. But not making a move to improve the team now on the basis it could hinder the extensions of a couple prospects who haven’t even played in the league yet would be ridiculous.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I see Bear as a #4. He got eaten alive by the Toews line during the playin series. That’s why we need Larsson or another bonafide top pairing Dman, to keep other Dmen in their proper spot.

Before all the Larsson haters start saying that he isn’t a top pairing Dman, he’s spent most of his career playing against the best players. Not every top pairing player provides offense, some are needed to shut down the other team.
I'd think we need to keep Larsson 1 year, unless of course we upgrade. There's no rush to hand the team to Bouchard, or to give Jones 2nd pairing RD, or to promote Benning.

I also like the potential to keep these impending UFAs just because they are like free expansion draft exemptions. DO NOT sign Larsson or RNH, but have the contracts lined up. In a case like Larsson, you sort of want him to show what he can do.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can anyone tell me where this OEL wants to come here rumour is from?
this thread. People were saying that if he wants to come here, we have leverage, so lets just rip off Arizona cuz we can. If I got that right, #1 as if he would singularly want to come here (I think we would make a short list though), and #2 I don't think we should be so predatory.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
this thread. People were saying that if he wants to come here, we have leverage, so lets just rip off Arizona cuz we can. If I got that right, #1 as if he would singularly want to come here (I think we would make a short list though), and #2 I don't think we should be so predatory.

LoL, players don’t demand to come to Edmonton, with the exception of Smyth.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
LoL, players don’t demand to come to Edmonton, with the exception of Smyth.
I think there is a point. If a player has a NMC, trade leverage is less just because there are less suitors by definition. It's market forces, with less competition to build value. The big trades with biggest returns are often for big name players who happen not to have a NMC

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't think Minny would let him go. Great on faceoffs, an excellent depth veteran for some of the younger guys, Finnish to help Pulju. Likely affordable to boot.

Its low on the list of things to acquire, obviously, but this team missed a glue guy. Hendricks was great at that, Gagner was too (and got exiled for the Green ghost). A long time captain like Koivu could be that kind of guy.

Minny already said they're moving on from Koivu, so he is gonna be UFA. We would be a spectacular 3rd line C. But, doubt he would come here if he's still interested in the NHL. If he wants to win a cup, there would be better options out there. We kinda ruined our contender sales pitch in the play-ins.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Minny already said they're moving on from Koivu, so he is gonna be UFA. We would be a spectacular 3rd line C. But, doubt he would come here if he's still interested in the NHL. If he wants to win a cup, there would be better options out there. We kinda ruined our contender sales pitch in the play-ins.
I'd be hesitant to get a player who will be 38, but he played over 15 minutes a game and took a lot of faceoffs this year. The cost should also be lowered based on his age. I'd just make sure that we have some speed on the wings for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad