Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | If OEL Gets Traded Here, Which Defensemen Get Dealt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Where did the rumour come from that OEL would only waive for Edmonton? Or did I misread some posts

Can anyone tell me where this OEL wants to come here rumour is from?

Last week there were a couple of articles that said Edm Cal and possibly Buf were inquiring on him and that he would only waive for Edm. So it’s not that he wants to come here but if Az asked him to waive his NMC that out of those Edm would be a realistic possibility.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Last week there were a couple of articles that said Edm Cal and possibly Buf were inquiring on him and that he would only waive for Edm. So it’s not that he wants to come here but if Az asked him to waive his NMC that out of those Edm would be a realistic possibility.

I mean if he's waiving for Edmonton it means he wants to come here. ;)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Can anyone tell me where this OEL wants to come here rumour is from?

Lol I thought you might've seen this. Friedman and Stauffer along with Leavins. This has been ongoing for almost 3 weeks now

EDIT : nevermind I thought you meant the OEL rumour in general lol

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Do you happen to have a link to the articles? I hadn’t seen that he wouldn’t waive for Calgary.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As others have stated, there are very concerning underlying numbers with OEL. He could look in Edmonton like Barrie looked in Toronto but locked up longer term at a big cap.

I'd rather move some dead weight out and sign Barrie on a one year until Bouch and Bro are ready.

That or go all in on AP27 lol

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
As others have stated, there are very concerning underlying numbers with OEL. He could look in Edmonton like Barrie looked in Toronto but locked up longer term at a big cap.

I'd rather move some dead weight out and sign Barrie on a one year until Bouch and Bro are ready.

I was thinking about this kind of strategy but I'm not sure anymore. I mean does one year of Barrie really help us?

- We arent paying Barrie to play behind Larsson and Bear.
- If he does well we wont be able to afford to re-sign him
- If he fails we miss out on guys that have become available because of this unique situation like OEL.

Pietrangelo is a pipe dream. Doughty is making 11M. I dont see him making any less then that to play in Edmonton. Maybe he takes a hometown discount in Toronto but not here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If OEL is willing to waive here and they primarily want the 1st round pick + cash relief ... alright, pull the trigger.

If he really wants to play for Tippett that bad and play with McDavid/Draisaitl, then ok my interest is peaked more because I think he'll come motivated.

The way I figure it in that case he should have good numbers playing on our PP for several years at least and the later years of his deal are less cash so if you want to move him 4/5 years from now that might be feasible.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

How the heck is Barrie as good as OEL? Wow people are underrating OEL so badly its ridiculous

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do you happen to have a link to the articles? I hadn’t seen that he wouldn’t waive for Calgary.

I don’t sorry. It may have been posted here already as a lot has been written and reported on for several weeks now.

Reactions: tabs

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
I don’t sorry. It may have been posted here already as a lot has been written and reported on for several weeks now.
All good, thanks. If it’s true that he isn’t willing to waive his NMC for some of the teams pursuing him, that could end up being huge for us. If Arizona has decided they’re moving him out this offseason for sure, and over half the league has an internal cap lower than 81.5, AND OEL isn’t willing to go to some of the teams that are pursuing him, the return will end up being lower than most think.

If it was a normal offseason and there wasn’t the flat cap issue, I’d say our offer would have to be 14 + Russell + Bouchard/Broberg to beat out other offers. But if we have very few teams that are actually in the running, I think Holland can push the pick to next years first, and downgrade the prospect significantly. Friedman always says when rival GMs see another one struggling, they throw an anchor and not a life preserver. If we have the leverage we should take full advantage of it.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
All good, thanks. If it’s true that he isn’t willing to waive his NMC for some of the teams pursuing him, that could end up being huge for us. If Arizona has decided they’re moving him out this offseason for sure, and over half the league has an internal cap lower than 81.5, AND OEL isn’t willing to go to some of the teams that are pursuing him, the return will end up being lower than most think.

If it was a normal offseason and there wasn’t the flat cap issue, I’d say our offer would have to be 14 + Russell + Bouchard/Broberg to beat out other offers. But if we have very few teams that are actually in the running, I think Holland can push the pick to next years first, and downgrade the prospect significantly. Friedman always says when rival GMs see another one struggling, they throw an anchor and not a life preserver. If we have the leverage we should take full advantage of it.

It certainly does sound like Arizona is desperate to move him however OEL holds all the cards with a full NMC. He can only be traded to where he is willing to go.

Reactions: tabs

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Friedman always says when rival GMs see another one struggling, they throw an anchor and not a life preserver. If we have the leverage we should take full advantage of it.

Garth Snow: "Ah, finally, some rest and relaxation before the draft. Siri, cancel all my appointments and find me the closest tailor, my son is getting married and I need to get my suit measured."

Siri: "Yes Mr. Snow. You have one new voicemail message, would you like to hear it?"

Snow: "Who is it from?"

Siri: "Mr. Chiarelli from the Edmonton Oilers."

Snow: "...Siri, cancel my son's wedding and find me the closest coffee shop. I have work to do!"

Oct 15, 2017
He would be an upgrade in every aspect over klefbom. Klefbom has a great co tract when he is playing. He has played 1 full season prior to this one. OEL has missed less games over 10 years than Klefbom has in 1 season. So even if he does slow down or get long in the tooth, his skating is phenomenal, and he doesn't get hurt,sooooo what's the Downside? He's a number 4 instead like Jaybo? O ya and he would be able to hit McDavid in stride.

He is a legit #1 or would be for Oilers hands down over any player. Huge upgrade. Gives Broberg and other young D a legit example. He is a captain and prob new A which helps room.

He played with Larsson already ,that would put him with his international partner and his old coaching staff.

It completely changed the look of the team by adding 1 player.

I get why most are worried , but the injury thing nuked that for me especially if it's klefbom going other way.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Before all the Larsson haters start saying that he isn’t a top pairing Dman, he’s spent most of his career playing against the best players. Not every top pairing player provides offense, some are needed to shut down the other team.

So did Mike Green, until he couldn't anymore. How many of those years did Larsson's team have meaningful success when he was playing against the best players? And how many defensive defencemen are on top pairings in the NHL and don't have an elite offensive partner?

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River

Value of: - Bye bye Darnell, Hello OEL!!

To add to it all, a poster started this a while ago in the trade rumours area and then some of this was brought into this thread as rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia