Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | "Hi UFA, Will a 1 Year Minimum Deal and a Front Row View of McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Watched an old Friedman on Chiclets interview. Picked up on his McD injury story and the Oil handled it grade A.

People scared McD might jump ship but it's obvious this team treats him very well.

When you see guys like Eichel and Tarasenko wanting out over their serious injury treatment, you have to think the Oil gained some big points w the McD clan on how well they protected him

Oilers have been slowly fumbling their way towards a more player friendly organization for half a decade now. The removal of prominent anti-NHLPA types like Lowe and Mact is evidence of this, and it was pretty clearly prompted by Mcdavid's initial concerns about getting selected by such a poorly run organization. Stories about players being forced to practice on holidays, not having exercise equipment, a culture of pressuring players to play with injuries/concussions, or poor medical care and treatment are hopefully a thing of the past.

If Mcdavid does eventually wants out, it'll be for the reason he's become the best player in the NHL - his competitive drive. His next contract being signed with the Oilers is probably entirely contingent on the Oilers organization proving to him that he can win in this city with this franchise.

Last edited:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Honest question why do you people keep spotting RNH at 3C? He’s weak along the boards and under 50% career in face offs. If that line plays against a top pairing it gets caved pretty easily.
If that line plays against a top pairing, you'll have McDavid or Draisaitl feasting on the opposition. The 3rd line is going to be an easy minutes matchup.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Quick question: I note Yamamoto is still unsigned. If the Devils were to offer a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick for him, would that be considered? (The trade offer comes along with the threat of an offer sheet if it's not accepted.)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If that line plays against a top pairing, you'll have McDavid or Draisaitl feasting on the opposition. The 3rd line is going to be an easy minutes matchup.
Plus, I think this might be the first time since everyone clamored for this set up that we finally have the wingers to pull it off. I don't think Tippett or McLellan wanted to put all their best talent on one line. They knew that the version of the Oilers that contends for a cup separates McDavid and Drai. Separating RNH from them is like the next step.

Personally, I don't think we have the wingers to really pull this off. I'm happy we finally could separate McDavid and Drai 5 on 5. But we will see. If the team looks good with RNH on the 3rd, that might be an amazing set up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Plus, I think this might be the first time since everyone clamored for this set up that we finally have the wingers to pull it off. I don't think Tippett or McLellan wanted to put all their best talent on one line. They knew that the version of the Oilers that contends for a cup separates McDavid and Drai. Separating RNH from them is like the next step.

Personally, I don't think we have the wingers to really pull this off. I'm happy we finally could separate McDavid and Drai 5 on 5. But we will see. If the team looks good with RNH on the 3rd, that might be an amazing set up.

If the new acquisitions work out on LW and PJ/Yamo pull their weight it could only take a deadline deal for a top 6 winger to push some guys down the lineup a notch and give some quality options on 3rd line W for Nuge to centre.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt the 3rd line becomes the easy matchups. Our bottom six has been abused for years. I know that they were less talented, but it seems to me that other teams would wait for McDavid and Draisaitl to be off the ice to be very aggressive with their top scorers. Or perhaps, they had secondary scoring talent that would really go for the jugular.

If we put some scoring talent on the 3rd line, it might help the team spend some bottom six time in the offensive zone, and make teams play more conservatively.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I doubt the 3rd line becomes the easy matchups. Our bottom six has been abused for years. I know that they were less talented, but it seems to me that other teams would wait for McDavid and Draisaitl to be off the ice to be very aggressive with their top scorers. Or perhaps, they had secondary scoring talent that would really go for the jugular.

If we put some scoring talent on the 3rd line, it might help the team spend some bottom six time in the offensive zone, and make teams play more conservatively.
If your 3rd line isn't seeing the opponents' third lines, then McDavid or Draisaitl will be.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Quick question: I note Yamamoto is still unsigned. If the Devils were to offer a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick for him, would that be considered? (The trade offer comes along with the threat of an offer sheet if it's not accepted.)
Out of curiosity what would the offer sheet be in this scenario? Don't see the 2nd and fourth coming close to what we value him for but I wonder what kind of contract you would throw at him to make us pass?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's risky but at 50% I would take a chance on Kane but only on the condition he agrees to gambling counselling.

Kane McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Hyman

Is a ridiculous top 6.
I get what you're saying, but I think the guy might be in the kind of spiral that will take people with him, so I suspect any good would massively be outweighed by the bad in this case.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Out of curiosity what would the offer sheet be in this scenario? Don't see the 2nd and fourth coming close to what we value him for but I wonder what kind of contract you would throw at him to make us pass?
I was thinking either 3 years at $3.5M or 2 years at $4.1M (push it all the way to the high end of the 2nd round pick only return). Basically push EDM into a serious corner; the 2nd and the 4th would be a bit of an olive branch, offering you more than you would get in the offer sheet transaction. The logic on our end is we badly need a right-handed RW who can play in the middle six, and we've got cap space to burn for a couple years.

If we can get him in a trade, I figure he'd get something like $2.750M/year from us for a couple years while we see what he can become.

(I'm a fan of Yamamoto and expect he'll grow into the contract, but he hasn't yet earned either of those.)

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I was thinking either 3 years at $3.5M or 2 years at $4.1M (push it all the way to the high end of the 2nd round pick only return). Basically push EDM into a serious corner; the 2nd and the 4th would be a bit of an olive branch, offering you more than you would get in the offer sheet transaction. The logic on our end is we badly need a right-handed RW who can play in the middle six, and we've got cap space to burn for a couple years.

(I'm a fan of Yamamoto and expect he'll grow into the contract, but he hasn't yet earned either of those.)
Take him for $4.1MM with a $4.5MM qualifying offer in 2 years.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Yeah no thanks. We're not looking to rebuild

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

If we can get him in a trade, I figure he'd get something like $2.750M/year from us for a couple years while we see what he can become.

Honestly I'd rather be petty and make you pay through the nose for him over getting the 4th rounder with the offer sheet being used. I like Yamo and agree he will likely grow into the contract but I kind of doubt he'd sign it anyways. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to scorn an organization that drafted him and has given him every opportunity to not just play but succeed. No other organization has 2 centers like we do just begging for Yamo to snatch a spot on their wing for good. Leon especially has been a huge advocate for Yamo.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yamamoto + Koskinen + 1st for Blackwood?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think Koskinen is going to end up as a revelation this year.

Haven't seen a player in our organization receive this much hate. Not Hal, not Ebs, not Yak or Pulju. Not Omark. Not Paajarvi.

You guys are insane. He's gigantic, and definitely capable of figuring things out and delivering a stellar performance.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Haven't seen a player in our organization receive this much hate. Not Hal, not Ebs, not Yak or Pulju. Not Omark. Not Paajarvi.

You guys are insane. He's gigantic, and definitely capable of figuring things out and delivering a stellar performance.

And we shall henceforth call him, Koskezina, Stopper of Pucks, Glovehand of Strength

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

he is capable of it, but he is equally capable of being the absolute worst goaltender in the league. Flip a coin see which one you get.
Here is my issue with Koskinen... he's a massive guy and he plays like the smallest 6'7 goalie in the world. Guy just has so many holes for shooters to exploit and the book is out on his exceptionally poor glove. He has flaws and hasn't addressed them and the league has figured it out.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops

If he trains away from Schwartz. Maybe!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

What would you be willing to offer in terms of what helps us now? Veteran LD or a goalie better than Koskinen?

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Still lots of half decent names unsigned. Wonder if we wait a bit longer and grab 1-2 for cheap right before camp

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad