Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | "Hi UFA, Will a 1 Year Minimum Deal and a Front Row View of McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's another issue with this "fourth line of PKers" I have.

They just added three top-end PKers in Hyman, Ryan and Foegele. RNH is still here. Yamo and McLeod both showed promise there. Hell, even Kassian has had really good results in the past.

They've got more than enough PK options that can actually play at 5v5 to not have some scrubs on the 4th line to do it while torpedoing the team at 5v5.
The only time I think 4th liners who can pk makes sense is if it's a 4c who can really only PK and is good at faceoffs when the rest of your centers can't. Ryan solves that issue for us in spades imo.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like Shore as an extra forward. That contract was an reward for showing up more than most in the playoffs pretty much.

I think a young skilled 4th line could be good but I think we need to spread it out a bit

Foegele - McLeod - Archibald/Kassian
Benson - Ryan - Holloway

Run it as a bottom 6 not a 3rd and 4th line. Give the vetest vet to Benson and Holloway and then have McLeod be winged by other vets. Mix and match as needed.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
not that our PK was bad, its been top 10 in the league for the last few years, but i dont think there is anyone who would disagree Hyman/Ryan > Kharia/haas

hyman alone has more SH goals than all the oilers combined over the last few seasons. having a PK that can score when you screw up on the PP makes the PK even more effective. Ive always taught my PK to be aggresive as possible.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I like Shore as an extra forward. That contract was an reward for showing up more than most in the playoffs pretty much.

I think a young skilled 4th line could be good but I think we need to spread it out a bit

Foegele - McLeod - Archibald/Kassian
Benson - Ryan - Holloway

Run it as a bottom 6 not a 3rd and 4th line. Give the vetest vet to Benson and Holloway and then have McLeod be winged by other vets. Mix and match as needed.
i agree on the road, at home when Tip has last change then go full fire youth and let them outscore the bottom 6 in our divisions especially, outside of vegas no one has a decent 4th line in the pacific.....

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
not that our PK was bad, its been top 10 in the league for the last few years, but i dont think there is anyone who would disagree Hyman/Ryan > Kharia/haas

hyman alone has more SH goals than all the oilers combined over the last few seasons. having a PK that can score when you screw up on the PP makes the PK even more effective. Ive always taught my PK to be aggresive as possible.
We had one of the safest PKs in the league and rarely scored shorties too.

The last 2 seasons combined with Tippett we have the 3rd best PK, were 29th in short handed goals scored. Our PK was incredibly safe. Because of that we were 5th for shorthanded goal differential, other teams came out more ahead because of their abilities to score on the PK

Similar can be said for our PP. Best in the league in that span, but allowed the 7th most shorties, but luckily our PP was so dominate we were still first.

I think our PK could use some danger.

Reactions: CornKicker

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
i agree on the road, at home when Tip has last change then go full fire youth and let them outscore the bottom 6 in our divisions especially, outside of vegas no one has a decent 4th line in the pacific.....
Tippett doesn't really line match much so it won't really matter there imo

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If the 1st rounder is on the table, deal it in the offseason rather than showing desperation in season.

On the other hand as we recently saw waiting until the off season puts you in competition with the rest of the league for these players and the Oilers aren't really in a position to outbid.

For example, if we made the Kuemper deal at the deadline then all the other externalities that took him away from us didn't exist.

Not really sure what the right approach is to be honest. I was certain that this off season would be the one to get a goalie due to the number of them rumored to be available and teams in cap crunches, but I couldn't have been any more wrong.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
On the other hand as we recently saw waiting until the off season puts you in competition with the rest of the league for these players and the Oilers aren't really in a position to outbid.

For example, if we made the Kuemper deal at the deadline then all the other externalities that took him away from us didn't exist.

Not really sure what the right approach is to be honest. I was certain that this off season would be the one to get a goalie due to the number of them rumored to be available and teams in cap crunches, but I couldn't have been any more wrong.

I agree, I just think the cost will be higher in season (especially at the deadline) and I’m not certain if that would even open up more options

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The tighter the cap gets, and the longer he sits out there, I'm coming around on a cheap deal for Galchenyuk. I think I would still want to see if Johansson would sign first.

I wonder if he’s considering going to Europe at this point. Otherwise you imagine he would sign somewhere soon. Guess there’s no rush if it’s a $1M deal

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The tighter the cap gets, and the longer he sits out there, I'm coming around on a cheap deal for Galchenyuk. I think I would still want to see if Johansson would sign first.

I will almost guarantee Holland won't even throw a silent fart his way.
Streaky player, soft as baby poo who won't dig in corners and avoids contact.

Pretty much opposite of the players Holland has been adding

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I will almost guarantee Holland won't even throw a silent fart his way.
Streaky player, soft as baby poo who won't dig in corners and avoids contact.

Pretty much opposite of the players Holland has been adding
Fair point, depth scoring always has value though, still need another Vet down there. (I assume you're talking about Galchenyuk, because I think Johansson is a bit more of a player)

Proko88

May 6, 2010
pecapronger.jpg

newly-acquired-defenseman-chris-pronger-l-watches-his-son-jack-pronger-3-cover-his-ears-from-the-noise-of-hundreds-of-screaming-fans-outside-the-edmonton-oilers-offices-during-a-news-conference-in-edmonton-canada-august-5-2005-pronger-and-mike-peca-r-with-sunglasses-received-their-new-team-jerseys-before-answering-reporters-questions-and-mingling-with-fans-prongers-wife-lauren-is-holding-the-child-reutersdan-riedlhuber-drjj-2E7WJX2.jpg
I remember that. Pronger shows up in a suit and Peca shows up in a golf shirt lol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wonder if Olli Juolevi could make sense as that 6/7 LD option instead of bringing back a guy like Koekkoek. Just reading his scouting reports and he seems to be the opposite of Caleb Jones, who cheated a lot for offense and wasn't much of a help in the DZ.

He's 23, waiver-eligible and falling behind some of the new additions.

Would Benson for Juolevi make sense?

Reactions: Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Based off the interview heres how i see the season starting

Hyman -McD - JP
Rnh - Drai - Yamo
McLovin - McLeod - Kass
Shore - Ryan - Archie

Nurse - Barrie
Keith -Ceci
Russel - Bouchard

Bouchard should leap Ceci by Dec.
McLovin might steal Yamos spot.
Ryan may move to line 3.

Keith trying to get players... I could still very much see Getzlaf as a TDL add. He signed a cheapish 1 year.
My guess he did that to stay at home until as much as possible before playoffs.
Guaranteed McD had alot to do w aquiring Foegle

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Based off the interview heres how i see the season starting

Hyman -McD - JP
Rnh - Drai - Yamo
McLovin - McLeod - Kass
Shore - Ryan - Archie

Nurse - Barrie
Keith -Ceci
Russel - Bouchard

Bouchard should leap Ceci by Dec.
McLovin might steal Yamos spot.
Ryan may move to line 3.

Keith trying to get players... I could still very much see Getzlaf as a TDL add. He signed a cheapish 1 year.
My guess he did that to stay at home until as much as possible before playoffs.
Guaranteed McD had alot to do w aquiring Foegle

Russell and Shore stick out like sore thumbs. Would love to replace those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad