Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
In regards to Hall, I think you have to just view him as a rental at this point. I think it depends on the price.

I think the contract that he gets, is going to be regrettable for some team. He is just too injury prone and inconsistent. On a team like the Devils it probably makes sense but on the Oilers, with our cap situation, I just cant see it.
The Rangers could scoop him up. They're always looking for big name players.

Reactions: Pointteen

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Personally I'd be very surprised if Hall gets 10+ on a contender.

He's going to have to choose between money and contention. I think teams will be weary after how the Tavares contract challenged the Leafs to sign their young stars and manage the cap.

Mark Stone got 9.5 and IMO that's a guy more vuluable for a long playoff run than Hall (no offense to Taylor)
I have no idea how a dinosaur like Mark Stone can get that amount. What a stupid GM to give him that......he's never ever hit 80 points in a season. Any player north of 6mill should be an elite player which Stone is not. Nathan Mackinnon deserves 9.5mill before Stone even sniffs 5mill.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
My two year plan0-

This year:

Hall (1 mill retained) for Edm 1st 2020 Pulju Jones Gagner
Lowry for Benning Khaira Edm 2nd 2020

Drai McD Kass
Hall RNH Neal
Granlund Lowry Chiasson
Jurco Sheahan Russell
Nygard/Hass Archibald

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Russell Persson
Lagesson

Kosko
Smith

Try to make 2nd round of playoffs with that get the kids experience

Next summer at draft:

Edm 1st 2021
Bouchard
Larsson

for

Parayko

Sign Kreider or Hoffman 5 years 6.5 mill
Resign Nurse 6 years 6.5 mill
Bridge Bear 2 years 3 mill
Resign Lagesson and Persson 2 years 1.1 mill
Reign Starrett 2 years 1 mill
Sign 4 LW, 2 press box guys and 7 D for 800-850k each

Benson/Yamo McD Drai
Kreider RNH Neal
Benson/Yamo Lowry Chiasson
4 LW McLeod Marody
13F 14F

Klefbom Parayko
Nurse Bear
Lagesson Persson
7 D

Koskinen
Starrett

Have to Hope cap goes up to 84 mill if it does that is tight 1.6 mill space with 400k bonuses but works out

That is "the go for it" team- Klef Parayko an elite shut down pair, Nurse Bear two way smarts, Lagesson Persson off setting strengths weaknesses

The West is tough but winnable from 2020 to 2023 with COL STL VAN LV and CGY (ick) to worryabout have to take advantage and try to survive those teams and then hope TB and TOR the only real young powers in the East the next five years keeps choking to win a Cup some where in that span

After that yes lots of UFAs to worry about three years out but if we dont win by 2023 you have to unfortunately consider it a failure and seriously ask Drai and McD what their future plans are and maybe trade one or both by 2025 if the answer is from them not a clear and honest one

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No way I want Hall here. Cost too much for the type of player he is and it wrecks our salary structure.

Once I brush away the nostalgia around Halls (potential) return this is where I am left as well.

I wouldnt pay him more than $8M and he is going to get much more than that as a UFA.
So Hall is an absolute no go for this team.
He simply doesnt bring enough value for the contract he will get.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I have no idea how a dinosaur like Mark Stone can get that amount. What a stupid GM to give him that......he's never ever hit 80 points in a season. Any player north of 6mill should be an elite player which Stone is not. Nathan Mackinnon deserves 9.5mill before Stone even sniffs 5mill.
You must be thinking of someone else. Stone is 27, so nowhere near a dinosaur. He is also over ppg this year, and ppg for the last couple years. Not to mention one of the best defensively. Did you see him in the playoffs?!? Absolute beast. If anything he is a bit underpaid...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I doubt that throwing quantity at NJD would work.
What they'll want will start with Nurse, maybe Klefbom. They definitely could need a top 4 LD. If we want to add capdumps (Gagner) to fit Hall then we're paying more (pick or prospect). Nurse + Gagner + Pulju for Hall (or Yama or a 1st instead of Pulju).

I don't know if I think this has any possibility of happening, and I'd hate to come back at only having 1 top 4 LD so I don't know if I want it to happen. That is in the case that the return starts with either Nurse or Klefbom, which I think would be a fact.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
What they'll want will start with Nurse, maybe Klefbom. They definitely could need a top 4 LD. If we want to add capdumps (Gagner) to fit Hall then we're paying more (pick or prospect). Nurse + Gagner + Pulju for Hall (or Yama or a 1st instead of Pulju).

I don't know if I think this has any possibility of happening, and I'd hate to come back at only having 1 top 4 LD so I don't know if I want it to happen. That is in the case that the return starts with either Nurse or Klefbom, which I think would be a fact.

whst is this? No. No UFA has ever got that

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
whst is this? No. No UFA has ever got that
I think that Nurse is the price for Hall. The added prospect/pick is for taking on Gagner and probably too much. I don't usually play the trade-players-games so it is not surprising that I don't know the value of that.

Still the main point of my post is that imo Nurse, or possibly Klefbom, will be main piece from Edmonton in a Hall trade.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I think that Nurse is the price for Hall. The added prospect/pick is for taking on Gagner and probably too much. I don't usually play the trade-players-games so it is not surprising that I don't know the value of that.

Still the main point of my post is that imo Nurse, or possibly Klefbom, will be main piece from Edmonton in a Hall trade.

alk you have to do is look at last deadline trades to know that is more than any team has ever paid for a rental maybe ever

Duchene went for 1st two B level prospects

St. Louis trade was weird he was traded for conditional 2nd/1st plus another rental Callahan

Iggy the same as Duchene

Hossa for a 1st a young third liner at the time Colby Armstrong and two B prospects

Carter is only example I can see of top four D being traded with a 1st at the deadline for a forward but he was not a rental he had like 9 years left on his deal at the time

Onky way Nurse or Klef are traded for Hall is if he comes with an extension and since there is no way to fit another 10 mill plus forward under the cap long term there is no way it happens unless he takes a steeeeeep discount

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Taylor Hall has exactly three seasons throughout his career where he has eclipsed the 60 point mark
RNH has one. But he’s a nice polite young man so everyone seems OK with giving him $8 million on a long term deal. That doesn’t have any cap implications at all.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I don't think there is any chance NJ will get someone like Nurse for Hall as pending UFA. Frankly, I am not even sure they would get Nurse if Hall signed an extension at his present age.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I agree with this post! Hall is:

- Hurt alot
- Entitled
- One dimensional
- Questionable personality
- Entitled

We don't need another top 6 player. We need a couple of awesome bottom sixers. For balance on the ice and in the checkbook.

Actually its the checkbook that is the main reason for me.
Hall is going to cost, and his price is not a take for Edmonton, espacially for what he brings + His prime is almost certain to soon be gone. Hall is not celebrated for his smartness, patience play or hockey IQ. His game is more based on speed, full drive and in your face. He will soon already go on a decline. His prime is now, and over in two seasons. + He may not be a bad character or perseon, BUT he hasnt showed ME at least, that he learned much of being a veteran NHL:er or how to grow as a superstar. He still feels a decade away from being a patient and wise leader. He just doesnt know the full game of hockey good enough. Draisaitl, Nuge and McDavid is already more complete players.

The bottom 6 subject/project is very important here, actually. Its what Edmonton always had needed. SInce the day Hall came to the franschise, playing here, and traded away. And Jurco and Nygård is probably a good part of that answer, I think the real problem here is the wagon is too heavy for Haas who has been asked to be pulling the whole thing. He comes in as a newcomer, and is bringed in here to be the important center-clutch on the 3rd line, in the best league in the world, where the 3rd line is more then not the answer of a deep playoff run. Too heavy of a task. And when he didnt had immediately impact, the whole bottom 6 looks offensively lost.

Sheahan could be a part of good bottom 6 centering, but he is just a good defensive center, and is impossible to be asked for more.

edit: If a team had a good proven 2 way center, with offensive talent to be traded to Edmonton, for ex Erik Haula or something like that, I would throw in a package of Pulju + Granlund + 2nd + a prospect in the likes of Currie or such.
It is that big of a need, and such a important brick on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kolja and Aerchon

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My two year plan0-

This year:

Drai McD Kass
Hall RNH Neal
Granlund Lowry Chiasson
Jurco Sheahan Russell
Nygard/Hass Archibald

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Russell Persson
Lagesson

Kosko
Smith

Next summer at draft:

Edm 1st 2021
Bouchard
Larsson

for

Parayko

Benson/Yamo McD Drai
Kreider RNH Neal
4 LW McLeod Marody
13F 14F

Klefbom Parayko
Nurse Bear
Lagesson Persson
7 D

Koskinen
Starrett

Have to Hope cap goes up to 84 mill if it does that is tight 1.6 mill space with 400k bonuses but works out

That is "the go for it" team- Klef Parayko an elite shut down pair, Nurse Bear two way smarts, Lagesson Persson off setting strengths weaknesses

The West is tough but winnable from 2020 to 2023 with COL STL VAN LV and CGY (ick) to worryabout have to take advantage and try to survive those teams and then hope TB and TOR the only real young powers in the East the next five years keeps choking to win a Cup some where in that span

After that yes lots of UFAs to worry about three years out but if we dont win by 2023 you have to unfortunately consider it a failure and seriously ask Drai and McD what their future plans are and maybe trade one or both by 2025 if the answer is from them not a clear and honest one

You make it sound so easy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We need more scoring from our bottom 6. Adding a 10 mill player to the top 6 hurts our ability to improve our bottom 6

I love the fact most posters who say we can get Hall are also saying we can keep Nuge, resign nurse and Kassian and also improve our bottom 6

When we hit game 10 and our bottom 6 still have almost no points it is time to reshuffle that deck

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Actually its the checkbook that is the main reason for me.
Hall is going to cost, and his price is not a take for Edmonton, espacially for what he brings + His prime is almost certain to soon be gone. Hall is not celebrated for his smartness, patience play or hockey IQ. His game is more based on speed, full drive and in your face. He will soon already go on a decline. His prime is now, and over in two seasons. + He may not be a bad character or perseon, BUT he hasnt showed ME at least, that he learned much of being a veteran NHL:er or how to grow as a superstar. He still feels a decade away from being a patient and wise leader. He just doesnt know the full game of hockey good enough. Draisaitl, Nuge and McDavid is already more complete players.

The bottom 6 subject/project is very important here, actually. Its what Edmonton always had needed. SInce the day Hall came to the franschise, playing here, and traded away. And Jurco and Nygård is probably a good part of that answer, I think the real problem here is the wagon is too heavy for Haas who has been asked to be pulling the whole thing. He comes in as a newcomer, and is bringed in here to be the important center-clutch on the 3rd line, in the best league in the world, where the 3rd line is more then not the answer of a deep playoff run. Too heavy of a task. And when he didnt had immediately impact, the whole bottom 6 looks offensively lost.

Sheahan could be a part of good bottom 6 centering, but he is just a good defensive center, and is impossible to be asked for more.

edit: If a team had a good proven 2 way center, with offensive talent to be traded to Edmonton, for ex Erik Haula or something like that, I would throw in a package of Pulju + Granlund + 2nd + a prospect in the likes of Currie or such.
It is that big of a need, and such a important brick on the team.

Yes a third line C is so important look at the last three Cup matchups

Stl- Barbashev and Sundqvist both 3C caliber
Bos- Coyle rented just for the job

LV- Eakin
Was- Eller

Pit- Bonino then Cullen after injury
Nas- Jarnkrok

You either get two guys to share the duty be 30ish point centres each or you have one bona fide guy to take tough matchups

Sheahan is a good tandem 3C but team needs another who has more offense to their game if we are going to be a playoff team this year never mind going foreword

Good news you can get these guys for 2nd round picks but the trade has to happen first and Holland has ignored all summer and now October

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Yes a third line C is so important look at the last three Cup matchups

Stl- Barbashev and Sundqvist both 3C caliber
Bos- Coyle rented just for the job

LV- Eakin
Was- Eller

Pit- Bonino then Cullen after injury
Nas- Jarnkrok

You either get two guys to share the duty be 30ish point centres each or you have one bona fide guy to take tough matchups

Sheahan is a good tandem 3C but team needs another who has more offense to their game if we are going to be a playoff team this year never mind going foreword

Good news you can get these guys for 2nd round picks but the trade has to happen first and Holland has ignored all summer and now October

I see Sheahan as more of a 4C then 3C

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We need more scoring from our bottom 6. Adding a 10 mill player to the top 6 hurts our ability to improve our bottom 6

I love the fact most posters who say we can get Hall are also saying we can keep Nuge, resign nurse and Kassian and also improve our bottom 6

When we hit game 10 and our bottom 6 still have almost no points it is time to reshuffle that deck
I think the missing piece in your line of thought is that getting Hall as a rental pushes another player down your lineup who was in your 2nd line therefore improving your bottom 6.

I agree tough to keep all the pieces. However, I think it is fair to say we can expect Kris Russell gone along with, Benning, Manning, Gagner, Gryba, Granlund (guessing), Archibald, maybe more.

About 12M out.

Guys who are cheap making it next year:
Marody / McLeod
Benson
Bouchard
Lagesson
Maybe Starrett (or resign Smith if reasonable)

That is what 2.8M back in.

The cap may also go up to 85M so no doubt thought to make it all fit but at the end of the day we only really have Nurse coming up for a big deal this season and that should be a 2.5 -3.5M raise. As much as I like Kass that is a guy who was on the ropes to be gone at the start of last season and I don't think his raise from current levels is too huge.

You also have to factor in the Pouliot buyout coming up after next season before RNHs deal would kick in. That by itself effectively pays the whole raise he would get. Overall we have good staggering in our contracts to make it work in my opinion and a bunch of younger depth options who have played a few years in the AHL now.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don't think there is any chance NJ will get someone like Nurse for Hall as pending UFA. Frankly, I am not even sure they would get Nurse if Hall signed an extension at his present age.

with our top guys playing 26+ minutes a night I don’t think we need 20 players. Roll 18 if we have to. Yeehaw.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

The base of it though is the thought of what the devils would be looking for, and how a team like Edmonton would need to over-pay for being the ones calling up. I am not sure what NJD would be looking for if not a LD from Edmonton. If I would be in NJ I know I would ask for it, and if Nurse is off the table I'd go for Klefbom. If that is not possible I'd leave it and wait for other teams to call.

I am thinking about the Seth Jones trade from NSH to the blue jackets. Similar age-wise but I guess the RFA/UFA is significant (honestly I forgot Johansen was RFA at the time). Nurse is also ahead of where Jones was at the time.

Edit: to be honest, I should drop this because I don't think it will happen anyway. It was just speculation on what I think it would take and why I think it should not (and won't) happen.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the missing piece in your line of thought is that getting Hall as a rental pushes another player down your lineup who was in your 2nd line therefore improving your bottom 6.

I agree tough to keep all the pieces. However, I think it is fair to say we can expect Kris Russell gone along with, Benning, Manning, Gagner, Gryba, Granlund (guessing), Archibald, maybe more.

About 12M out.

Guys who are cheap making it next year:
Marody / McLeod
Benson
Bouchard
Lagesson
Maybe Starrett (or resign Smith if reasonable)

That is what 2.8M back in.

The cap may also go up to 85M so no doubt thought to make it all fit but at the end of the day we only really have Nurse coming up for a big deal this season and that should be a 2.5 -3.5M raise. As much as I like Kass that is a guy who was on the ropes to be gone at the start of last season and I don't think his raise from current levels is too huge.

You also have to factor in the Pouliot buyout coming up after next season before RNHs deal would kick in. That by itself effectively pays the whole raise he would get. Overall we have good staggering in our contracts to make it work in my opinion and a bunch of younger depth options who have played a few years in the AHL now.

Take away all the goals scored with either McDavid or Leon on the ice will give you an idea of how little out depth is

Neal who is listed on the 2nd line--how many of his goals were scored with out Dynamic Duo on the ice?

Chaisson would be the gut moved down the to the bottom 6 and how many goals does he have playing in the top 6

I have looked at adding Hall 6 ways from sundays at 10 mill a year and it does not work unless you want only players making under 1mill a year in the bottom 6--that is what we we have already

and Pouliots contract comes off the books after the 20/21 season and not this season--GRybas does

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Once I brush away the nostalgia around Halls (potential) return this is where I am left as well.

I wouldnt pay him more than $8M and he is going to get much more than that as a UFA.
So Hall is an absolute no go for this team.
He simply doesnt bring enough value for the contract he will get.
Here I did a breakdown of the GAR (Goals above Replacement) and WAR (Wins above replacement) per the Evolving Hockey website, which are basically trying to calculate the improvement in goal differential the players have on their team relative to an average replacement player and on wins they contribute.

*I did not apply any weighting based on number of games played just took the numbers on the website added them up and divided by 3

Here are the top 20 highest paid forwards in terms of cap-hit and their respective GAR and WAR averaged over 3 years

1. Connor McDavid ($12.5M) GAR(3 year average)=26.467, WAR(3 year average)=5
  2. Artemi Panarin ($11.643M) GAR(3 year average)= 11.533, WAR(3 year average)= 2.167
  3. Auston Matthews ($11.634M) GAR(3 year average)=12.767 , WAR(3 year average)=2.433
  4. John Tavares ($11M) GAR(3 year average)= 12.467, WAR(3 year average)= 2.367
  5. Mitch Marner ($10.893M) GAR(3 year avg)= 13.967, WAR (3 year avg)= 2.633
  6. Jonathan Toews ($10.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 4.4, WAR(3 year avg)= 0.833
  7. Patrick Kane ($10.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 7.83, WAR(3 year avg)= 1.467
  8. Anze Kopitar ($10M) GAR(3 year avg)=9.767, WAR(3 year avg)= 1.867
  9. Jack Eichel ($10M) GAR(3 year avg)= 10.9, WAR(3 year avg)= 2.067
  10. Tyler Seguin ($9.85M) GAR(3 year avg)= 14.13, WAR (3 year avg)= 2.7
  11. Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538M) GAR(3 year avg)= 7.267, WAR(3 year avg)= 1.367
  12. Jamie Benn ($9.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 10.133, WAR(3 year avg)= 1.967
  13. Nikita Kucherov ($9.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 16.867, WAR(3 year avg)= 3.2
  14. Evgeni Malkin ($9.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 11.833, WAR(3 year avg)= 2.233
  15. Mark Stone ($9.5M) GAR(3 year avg)= 20.867, WAR(3 year avg)=3.933
  16. Mikko Rantanen ($9.25M) GAR(3 year avg)=9.733, WAR(3 year avg)= 1.9
  17. Jeff Skinner ($9M) GAR(3 year avg)= 13.867, WAR(3 year avg)= 2.6
  18. Sidney Crosby($8.7M) GAR(3 year avg)= 16.667, WAR(3 year avg)= 3.133
  19. Steven Stamkos ($8.5M) GAR(3 year avg)=14.533, WAR(3 year avg)=2.733
  20. Leon Draisaitl ($8.5M) GAR(3 year avg)=15.933, WAR(3 year avg)=3.033
Taylor Hall ($6M/TBD) GAR(3 year avg)=16.167, WAR(3 year avg)= 3.1

It should be noted that being a 3 year sample size different players are trending in different directions like certain young players are trending up and some older players are trending down, but based on the 3 year sample size and the 21 players evaluated above the 6 best forwards in order are:

1. Connor McDavid
  2. Mark Stone
  3. Nikita Kucherov
  4. Sidney Crosby
  5. Taylor Hall
  6. Leon Draisaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
My two year plan0-

This year:

Drai McD Kass
Hall RNH Neal
Granlund Lowry Chiasson
Jurco Sheahan Russell
Nygard/Hass Archibald

Nurse Bear
Klefbom Larsson
Russell Persson
Lagesson

Kosko
Smith

Next summer at draft:

Edm 1st 2021
Bouchard
Larsson

for

Parayko

Benson/Yamo McD Drai
Kreider RNH Neal
4 LW McLeod Marody
13F 14F

Klefbom Parayko
Nurse Bear
Lagesson Persson
7 D

Koskinen
Starrett

Some really well thought out posts in this thread.

Just want to really push the fact that Hall as a rental is not worth much. The cost of rentals has gone down in recent years because no gives up permanent assets anymore AND the value of draft picks has gone up.

This is a very good draft making this year's picks even more valuable.

This is the only way I see us getting Hall this year.

Puljujarvi for one of Carolina first.

That first and Jones for Hall.

Following year Hall walks cause there is no way we can sign him unless he takes a massive pay cut. Like 7 is probably the highest we could go and even then it might mean we can't resign Nuge who is far more important than Hall to our team. I also would only sign Hall short term something he is probably not interested in. 7 x 3.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah we don't need scoring depth.

Yes, the only way to get scoring depth is by trading for and signing an elite forward.
The Oilers already have the elite talent. They don't need a 10m+ player to drive a 2nd line. It's lunacy actually.

Furthermore, you're killing any chance of depth if you sign Hall. Say bye to RNH, say bye to any defensive depth once Nurse is signed for 7m+ or more likely 8m if he puts up another 40+ point season.
Oh and god forbid if/when an injury occurs (which I'd bet would be Hall). Then it really does become McDavid, Draisaitl and nothing else.
Not to mention that Hall will be 30+ throughout most of the contract and forwards especially tend to decline in their early 30s.

It's a nice idea on paper and I'm sure it would be entertaining but stacking the top of the roster (all forwards) with three franchise dollar players is not a sustainable model for Cup contention IMO.
If they could dump Neal's contract then I'd be more open to it but I don't see that happening.

Reactions: rboomercat90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad