Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Hallsy Take 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If he goes to Carolina I fully expect that trade to look awful for the Oilers in the next couple years.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Pulju
Manning

For

Toronto's first rounder
Brock McGinn

What do you guys say ? :)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Also a center
who can’t win draws to save his life after nine seasons in the league. Or carry the puck into the ozone with any authority.
who plays all situations
I’m sure the team can find a cheaper center to PK and pass back to Klefbom on the PP.
and has bought into his role on this team.
Are you sure? Lots of talk on this board about his exit interview last season and how ‘he must be tired of all the losing’.
Considering the value of centers in this league, $8m is around market value for the production he brings and the workload he takes on.
For one sixty point season? Meh. The team can spend $8 million in much better ways.

Reactions: frag2

Bones2079

Oct 2, 2019
Tier 3 Fan
Can we actually trade pool party for a player. Let's try and get a player for once maybe add one of our picks and get a better player.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The days of players taking discounts to help build there team are over. The last several summers have proven that starting with Kane and Toews. This generation of players is different than previous. These guys squeeze every dollar they can get now and don’t worry about those coming after them. Maybe you haven’t been paying attention?

There’s always exceptions, look at whatshisface on San Jose, or .. spezza on the leafs... every years theres a couple

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
All the best stats or should I say most informative stats are comparative stats, like CF% is a longtime staple of the analytics community to determine if you are or aren't outperforming the opposition in shot metrics and to what extent or CF% rel to contrast how you are doing relative to your teammates, helpful for picking out gems on bad teams.

Hockey is a competitive sport it's all about how much better are you than the guy across from you, with the case of GAR it's measuring how much better are you than the league wide average replacement player, basically the guy waiting to steal your job if you dip into the negative GAR territory. At present it's certainly one of the best evaluation tools and one of the best ways to determine what kind of contract a player is worth.

Its not without its shortcomings. I dont think its the be all and end all.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That Hischier contract is disgusting. 7.25M for a player whose career high is 52 points and who has 2 points in 6 games this year.

I’d barf as a Devils fan. Talk about paying for potential.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There’s always exceptions, look at whatshisface on San Jose, or .. spezza on the leafs... every years theres a couple
Older players maybe. A guy like Spezza whose best days are in the rear view mirror and wants to end his career playing at home, sure. I don’t see Hall in that category nor do I see any of our younger players looking at their first big contracts there either. If anything, I’d see resentment that Hall is getting their money.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Its not without its shortcomings. I dont think its the be all and end all.
It's shortcomings were detailed in the article I linked you. No stat is the be all end all, but it's arguably the best single stat presently available to measure the relative impact of a player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's shortcomings were detailed in the article I linked you. No stat is the be all end all, but it's arguably the best single stat presently available to measure the relative impact of a player.

As of right now I am not at all convinced of the value of this stat.
That being said I will try to read the article with an open mind.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That Hischier contract is disgusting. 7.25M for a player whose career high is 52 points and who has 2 points in 6 games this year.

Thought it was bad too. But NJ fans seem to like it, so there’s probably something they are seeing besides his points.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

It's an interesting contract it draws a pretty close comparable to Nuge's contract, both 1st overalls, it looks like the cap has grown by 26% since Nuge signed his $6M deal, Hischier's deal would be the equivalent of $5.75M in the 2013 cap world. Numbers wise Nuge's points per game in his first two years would have him netting about 7 more points over an 82 game season, but 5 on 5 Hischier's Pts per 60 is higher and his underlying analytics are better, the big discrepancy between the two is RNH was a terror in his early career on the PP and Hischier's powerplay point production is very poor.

Reactions: MisterD

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's an interesting contract it draws a pretty close comparable to Nuge's contract, both 1st overalls, it looks like the cap has grown by 26% since Nuge signed his $6M deal, Hischier's deal would be the equivalent of $5.75M in the 2013 cap world. Numbers wise Nuge's points per game in his first two years would have him netting about 7 more points over an 82 game season, but 5 on 5 Hischier's Pts per 60 is higher and his underlying analytics are better, the big discrepancy between the two is RNH was a terror in his early career on the PP and Hischier's powerplay point production is very poor.

Nuge was overpaid up until very recently.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Pens had about 32% of their cap tied up in their big three in 2016. Assuming $10M for Hall and an $85M cap, the Oilers would have about 36% in their big three. That doesn't seem very significant to me.

Uh, if Nurse is due for a significant raise, I sure as hell hope that's because he's become a #1D man. Anyway, replacing Russell and Larsson with ELC D men takes care of that raise, which leaves you with Nuge. If Neal falls off, that's a cheap buyout that would give you more than enough space to bring RNH back. It's doable.

And I don't disagree with any of this. However, I think they're going to have to be very aggressive starting next offseason to add some scoring help. If Hall's interested and the numbers can work, they'd be foolish not to kick the tires.

Isnt 4% close to what an average player would make? Thats a big chunk of cap to make up. That turns a four million dollar player into a ELC player and you would still need to shave 1 million off someone else. And thats on top of all the other cuts needed to pay for the 32%

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If he goes to Carolina I fully expect that trade to look awful for the Oilers in the next couple years.

And? I dont get this line of thinking. He was never gonna play for the Oilers again. Either get something, anything, or just let him rot in Liga. And realistically, he's known as a horrible player at the moment and a malcontent around the league so it was never going to work in the Oilers favor anyway

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
who can’t win draws to save his life after nine seasons in the league. Or carry the puck into the ozone with any authority.
I’m sure the team can find a cheaper center to PK and pass back to Klefbom on the PP.
Are you sure? Lots of talk on this board about his exit interview last season and how ‘he must be tired of all the losing’.
For one sixty point season? Meh. The team can spend $8 million in much better ways.

Just realized he has not once broke 50% in FO% for a seasonal average. wow smh

dem

Mar 17, 2002
And? I dont get this line of thinking. He was never gonna play for the Oilers again. Either get something, anything, or just let him rot in Liga. And realistically, he's known as a horrible player at the moment and a malcontent around the league so it was never going to work in the Oilers favor anyway

We don’t know that. Things change. He has zero leverage. The kid is only 21.

Sit on him and wait.

Reactions: Beerfish

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Since the Oilers are playing well, I would not force a trade involving Puljujarvi. If the return is to be picks, we can still get the same offer in June before the draft.

Holland needs to hold firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad