Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Gazzola: "hearing we may see PTO coming into camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Apparently suggesting Nurse is the only logical piece to move for the guy who scored 104 in 3 seasons means we hate him. I don’t understand how people come to that conclusion when we’re talking about one of the best wingers in the game who’s also 3 years younger then Nurse.
He barely had more points than Nurse last year.

He's one of the most overrated wingers in the game.

Nurse actually had more points than him at even strength.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Losing a drafted and developed stud D-man in Trouba is a pretty big issue in my opinion. And that's just one thing that's happened so far in that young franchises' history. More to come, more UFAs spurning them, more good players demanding out, more players demanding extra money to stay. It'll all add up eventually and lead to Oilers-like darkness soon enough.

How can you conclude more good players will demand out based on one very specific example?

Seems like a claim backed up by nothing but your own sloppy reasoning.

They'll have a decade of darkness because well ... You say so, seems about as credible as a fan saying plan the parade after the signing of a minor league player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How can you conclude more good players will demand out based on one very specific example?

Seems like a claim backed up by nothing but your own sloppy reasoning.

They'll have a decade of darkness because well ... You say so, seems about as credible as a fan saying plan the parade after the signing of a minor league player.

It's backed up by seeing 30 years of Edmonton sucking. Don't think that that was all on management. Tough to build a team when it's near the least desirable market in the league for various reasons over that time frame. Winnipeg will see similar fate. Sure, call it a wild guess if you can't see how being a small cold town with nothing to offer millionaires will hurt your chances of success in a league where you success is always going to relative to the 30 other teams you compete with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Laine and Bouchard (when he's ready) would make our PP among the elite of the NHL. I would be all in for Laine if it includes futures and some roster players that are not named McDavid, Drai or RNH and prospects not named Bouchard or Broberg.

ie:

2020 1st, 1 of McLeod, Benson, Yamamoto, Maksimov or Lavoie, 1 of Bear, Jones or Lagesson, Russell or Gagner and Manning (cap purposes)

I would hate to see McLeod leave, but this is probably what it would take to land Laine without giving up much from our current roster. Laine's presence might also persuade Jesse to come back although that would be the last selling point that would have me looking at adding him.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Laine and Bouchard (when he's ready) would make our PP among the elite of the NHL. I would be all in for Laine if it includes futures and some roster players that are not named McDavid, Drai or RNH and prospects not named Bouchard or Broberg.

ie:

2020 1st, 1 of McLeod, Benson, Yamamoto, Maksimov or Lavoie, 1 of Bear, Jones or Lagesson, Russell or Gagner and Manning (cap purposes)

I would hate to see McLeod leave, but this is probably what it would take to land Laine without giving up much from our current roster. Laine's presence might also persuade Jesse to come back although that would be the last selling point that would have me looking at adding him.
I think the asking price would be Nurse + 2020 1st + Benson/Yamamoto/McLeod/Lavoie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the asking price would be Nurse + 2020 1st + Benson/Yamamoto/McLeod/Lavoie.

We'd improve our offense up front but tank our defense pretty hard. Laine's asking price will go a long way into determining his trade value as well. If it wasn't for his perceived attitude issues I might consider such a trade.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We'd improve our offense up front but tank our defense pretty hard. Laine's asking price will go a long way into determining his trade value as well. If it wasn't for his perceived attitude issues I might consider such a trade.

I wouldn't do that trade, especially considering the strength of the 2020 draft. There's a solid chance we get a guy equal or even better than Laine. I would obviously trade it straight up for him, but adding Nurse + a top forward prospect is a No.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Who is/was more valuable as an RFA, Laine or Trouba? Based on the extension Trouba signed, it's pretty close, Laine maybe with a bit of an edge, not a heavy one.
I think the ask would be similar.
Trouba goes for top 4 upside player + 1st.
Laine would go for top 6 upside player + 1st. Or a replacement top 4 D + 1st. Maybe also a small pot sweetener.
Larsson + 1st + Yamamoto? Maybe some cap relief going too?

Team control and goal scoring adds value to Laine vs Trouba, even if Trouba might be the more valuable player on the ice. Laine's recent comments though might diminish that valeu.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It will be difficult no question but they can get some nice pieces back in a Laine deal and still contend IMO.
If Buff retires , they'd have to get back an vey good defenseman to have a hope contend. Either that or Helleybuyck has to channel his inner Hasek. Compare their team with the one that lost to Vegas in 2018. Their defense would have been decimated. Even if they traded Lainie for the best defenseman they could get this would still be true because at the best they would be replacing Trouba and I doubt they even get that. But then their forward group would be missing Laine, Stastny, Armia and Tanev. And Wheeler would be that much older.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Team control and goal scoring adds value to Laine vs Trouba, even if Trouba might be the more valuable player on the ice. Laine's recent comments though might diminish that valeu.

Team control is a wash no? Both RFA's, both being difficult re-signs, both at odds with the team and no problem pushing trade / hinting trade. Granted Trouba was coming off a bridge, but both looking for that long term deal, and they've played hardball with him before. Even if it was New York or bust, Jets didn't have to fold so quick.

I don't think value is that far off. Goal scoring gives an edge, but not a wide gap in the value imo.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Team control is a wash no? Both RFA's, both being difficult re-signs, both at odds with the team and no problem pushing trade / hinting trade. Granted Trouba was coming off a bridge, but both looking for that long term deal, and they've played hardball with him before. Even if it was New York or bust, Jets didn't have to fold so quick.

I don't think value is that far off. Goal scoring gives an edge, but not a wide gap in the value imo.
Trouba had one more year to UFA and Laine has 4.

For the record if Trouba and Laine were both UFA's asking for the same money I think most teams would choose Trouba. In fact, it would not surprise me if that choice was universal. No question in my mind that if the Oilers had the choice it should be Trouba. And I say this despite the prospect depth on defense vs up front.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

ie:

Quantity +complete crap for quality

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Say a hypothetical trade for Laine went through...he still needs to be signed! How much is he looking for? Marner/Matthews money? You can’t pay him more than Drai, IMO.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
This most likely doesnt get it done but id offer up Russell, Benson, Pulju , Laggs and 2nd/1st for Laine

keep in mind what other trades have happened in the past and that its always less than what everyone thinks

North

Jun 25, 2009
He barely had more points than Nurse last year.

He's one of the most overrated wingers in the game.

Nurse actually had more points than him at even strength.

People don’t really get that beyond his elite shot Laine is not very good. Also that elite shot only works when he has all the time in the world to get it off.

One of the reasons last season wasn’t great for him is, save for one month, he had no idea how to get open after teams started adjusting to him.

I will say when he is interested in playing without the puck he can be effective. The problem is he’s not often interested in that.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
What about:

Larsson+Bear+Puljujarvi+2020 first (top 10 protected if not unprotected 2021)

For

Kyle Connor

Probably will be willing to sign cheaper than Laine for the long term. He apparently wants term in Winnipeg. Seems like the perfect triggerman for RNH or McDavid.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What about:

Larsson+Bear+Puljujarvi+2020 first (top 10 protected if not unprotected 2021)

For

Kyle Connor

Probably will be willing to sign cheaper than Laine for the long term. He apparently wants term in Winnipeg. Seems like the perfect triggerman for RNH or McDavid.
Way to much.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This most likely doesnt get it done but id offer up Russell, Benson, Pulju , Laggs and 2nd/1st for Laine

keep in mind what other trades have happened in the past and that its always less than what everyone thinks

No one is trading a young player for Russell. If Russell was ever traded it’d be for a similar age contract type player or picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad