Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Gazzola: "hearing we may see PTO coming into camp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Way to much.
Alright what would you propose?

I think Connor is likely to have a better career than Laine and sure I could drop Pulju or Bear but I honestly do not know how to guage the value of a 22 year old (soon to be 23 in December) who put up 66 points last season and had a 10 game pointless stretch. To my knowledge his D is okay but 34 goals at that age still looks to me like you have a long term solution for RNH's wing after Neal is gone or slows down.

Losing Larsson and Bear hurts but long term:

Klef - Bouchard
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - XXX

XXX is filled by Jones, Lagesson, Samoroukov, Persson, and/or one trade. Realistically we lose a 2nd pair D who seems to be slowing for a top line winger.

Then if we finish poorly in the standings pick your poison by taking a moonshot with Askarov (solves the goalie problems for the next 10 years), one of the slick young forwards (i.e. Holtz, Raymond, Lundell, Perfetti, Byfield, etc), or solidify the RD with Drysdale.

Edit: This is not to say I am hoping we finish bottom 10 as I think we are a bubble team this year in all likelihood and if injuries hit the wrong way it is hard to say how we finish. The intent of this post is that we can set our forwards up for a long time with this type of deal while having the depth at D long term to allow for it.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I think Connor is likely to have a better career than Laine and sure I could drop Pulju or Bear but I honestly do not know how to guage the value of a 22 year old (soon to be 23 in December) who put up 66 points last season and had a 10 game pointless stretch. To my knowledge his D is okay but 34 goals at that age still looks to me like you have a long term solution for RNH's wing after Neal is gone or slows down.

Klef - Bouchard
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - XXX

XXX is filled by Jones, Lagesson, Samoroukov, Persson, and/or one trade. Realistically we lose a 2nd pair D who seems to be slowing for a top line winger.

Then if we finish poorly in the standings pick your poison by taking a moonshot with Askarov (solves the goalie problems for the next 10 years), one of the slick young forwards (i.e. Holtz, Raymond, Lundell, Perfetti, Byfield, etc), or solidify the RD with Drysdale.

Edit: This is not to say I am hoping we finish bottom 10 as I think we are a bubble team this year in all likelihood and if injuries hit the wrong way it is hard to say how we finish. The intent of this post is that we can set our forwards up for a long time with this type of deal while having the depth at D long term to allow for it.

I think Broberg would play the right side with Nurse. Although I would do the lines like this:

Klefbom - Broberg (great two way Swedish pairing)
Nurse - Bouchard

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Just read the Calgary puck board and if you want a good laugh go read what some of the brain dead !@@# have to say

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
If we want Laine (and I do) the price would be something like:

Nurse,Nuge and 1st

For

Laine, Lowry and a later pick

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Klef - Bouchard
Nurse - XXX
Broberg - XXX

I agree that Connor is a very good player, but the Oilers cannot afford to give up nearly that much. In fact I don't really see a trade the Oilers could make that would not close one whole while opening another.

I like Larsson more than most. His play in 2016-2017 was a big reason why the team had the success it did. He was also a key guy in the playoffs where he played a more aggressive offensive game as well as being very nasty to play against.

If you look at his last two years in Jersey and his first in Edmonton what you had was a legitimate to pairing defender. Over those 3 years he was tied for 11th amongst all 169 defensemen playing 2000 minutes (about the equivalent of a season and about 20 games) in GA/60 while on the ice at 1.83 despite playing on teams that were not so stellar defensively. (Jersey gave up almost a goal per 60 more when he and Greene were not on the ice. In his last year in Jersey most Devil fans said that Larsson was the best of those two.) Moreover if you look at the top 10 almost all of the guys in that group played on teams that were near the top in GA. Compared with that group Larsson also had very tough zone starts. Out of the 169 players in that group he had the second lowest zone start% meaning he was playing in more difficult situations. Only two of the guys above him had lower on ice sv% so its not like he was being bailed out by great goal tending. Of course these are not explicitly individual stats but the pattern is clear. when healthy and on his game Larsson is a tough guy to score against.

He has had a bad stretch here the last while but he is 26 so its not like he is heading into the twilight of his career. He's actually coming into the period of his career where defensive defensemen really start to assert themselves. Its a risk, but my bet would be on him returning to form. And if he does he's very valuable, especially at his cap hit.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Really think this was one major reason Holland took Broberg - he probably thought "my god, our top pairing D for a decade if everything works out".

I think he took Broberg cause he was looking long term. Many people will have him in our top 6 next year, but I think I got Hollands plan and he is looking at him in 3 seasons time when both Larsson and Russels contracts are up and we know what nurse will be on long term.

I have come around to the plan I think Holland has, it makes sense and it he sticks to it the Oilers will be a great team in a few years.

As long as he does not go out and off Hall 10 mill a year for 7 years..we will be in good shape.

We need to sort out our goaltending

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I agree that Connor is a very good player, but the Oilers cannot afford to give up nearly that much. In fact I don't really see a trade the Oilers could make that would not close one whole while opening another.

I like Larsson more than most. His play in 2016-2017 was a big reason why the team had the success it did. He was also a key guy in the playoffs where he played a more aggressive offensive game as well as being very nasty to play against.

If you look at his last two years in Jersey and his first in Edmonton what you had was a legitimate to pairing defender. Over those 3 years he was tied for 11th amongst all 169 defensemen playing 2000 minutes (about the equivalent of a season and about 20 games) in GA/60 while on the ice at 1.83 despite playing on teams that were not so stellar defensively. (Jersey gave up almost a goal per 60 more when he and Greene were not on the ice. In his last year in Jersey most Devil fans said that Larsson was the best of those two.) Moreover if you look at the top 10 almost all of the guys in that group played on teams that were near the top in GA. Compared with that group Larsson also had very tough zone starts. Out of the 169 players in that group he had the second lowest zone start% meaning he was playing in more difficult situations. Only two of the guys above him had lower on ice sv% so its not like he was being bailed out by great goal tending. Of course these are not explicitly individual stats but the pattern is clear. when healthy and on his game Larsson is a tough guy to score against.

He has had a bad stretch here the last while but he is 26 so its not like he is heading into the twilight of his career. He's actually coming into the period of his career where defensive defensemen really start to assert themselves. Its a risk, but my bet would be on him returning to form. And if he does he's very valuable, especially at his cap hit.

Calling Larson a legitimate top pairing defenseman is a bit of a stretch. His peak in his career has been a #3 guy, Chiarelli gambled he'd become a#2 and lost.

That's more a guy who can play on your top pairing than a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

With his injury history and only 2 years left on his deal if you can get a forward like Connor for him I think you do it.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Should we be tossing rocks in a glass house?

Right now we are bottom 5 team in the league with two of the best players in the nhl on our team
Never said I was tossing but the way they are running our name in the ground is sad and yet funny .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So uh, any defensemen available?

I'd imagine a few good fits will be kicking around. There's a decent number of mid-tier, offensive defencemen going into UFA this year, highlighted by Green, Faulk, Vatanen, and Shattenkirk.

If you can get a guy that insulates Bear or Persson for this year, and lets Bouchard come up next year, then that's the path you need to take.

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Persson*
Russell-Green*

*Really there is no difference between the two pairs' usage. These two drive the offence, while Nurse-Larsson draw the tough matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad