Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agency Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Washington has 8.5 million in cap space and still needs to sign Burakovsky, Grubauer, and 5 more roster players. I wonder if we'd be able to grab Lars Eller cheaply to fill our 3C spot. He's 1 year away from UFA.

Eller is a guy I think would fit very well. The Caps probably can't afford him next year but the Oilers may not be able to next year either so the cost would have to be low.

Last edited:

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Washington has 8.5 million in cap space and still needs to sign Burakovsky, Grubauer, and 5 more roster players. I wonder if we'd be able to grab Lars Eller cheaply to fill our 3C spot. He's 1 year away from UFA.

He would be a good option but im not sure they can afford to loose any more roster players they are looking pretty thin

All this discussion about a Offer sheet for Draisaitl, this is a team people should be offer sheeting. You can walk away with Burakovsky for 1st and 3rd or Grubauer for a 2nd.
Offer sheet both because Washington cant match them both guaranteed one of them

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So you trade your second best player to placate fair weather fans? Also what do you mean by "us". You are the one who wants to trade him.

GM's wouldn't last long if they traded players because some casual fans thought he made too much money.

Yeah, it's not that simplistic. Again, it's the perception that the team can't compete because of expensiveness.

You get value before people stop caring because expensive. If you don't think so, think honestly about the type of people that occupy the area that surrounds this team.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, it's not that simplistic. Again, it's the perception that the team can't compete because of expensiveness.

You get value before people stop caring because expensive. If you don't think so, think honestly about the type of people that occupy the area that surrounds this team.

Who's perception? Yours? Do you think anyone in the Oilers organization cares what your perception is? The place is packed with a very long waiting list.

Or do you think the Oiler players in the dressing room will cast mean sideways glances at Leon or McDavid? Secretly blame them for the Oilers not winning a game because they make too much money?

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
That Bennett idea is great. I would do it. If he doesn't sign, the Flames end up overpaying him a tad lol.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Someone mentioned Jussi Jokinen's name. I don't know if the Oilers are still looking for forwards, but Jokinen could be a pretty safe choice. Smart, versatile and probably reasonably priced. Just a year ago he scored 64 points in 87 games, so he might be able to help in that field also, but even without a lot of points he can be a usable player. Not too physical, but almost as smart as it can get. He can also get the team some extra points in the penalty shots.

I think he could help Pulju, as he was very valuable for Barkov in Florida. Jokinen also comes from the same Finnish team as Jesse and is the nicest guy you can imagine. I could also imagine that Jokinen would love to be helping Pulju and play in the same team with especially McDavid, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was willing to come for a very reasonable salary. Especially since he's already been paid from Florida.

Of course I understand if the Oilers are going after bigger fishes or if they think they won't need any more forwards.

E: What a timing, while I wrote my message there were suddenly quite a few messages about Jokinen...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Who's perception? Yours? Do you think anyone in the Oilers organization cares what your perception is? The place is packed with a very long waiting list.

Or do you think the Oiler players in the dressing room will cast mean sideways glances at Leon or McDavid? Secretly blame them for the Oilers not winning a game because they make too much money?

:laugh:I don't blame them for anything, they should keep and pay everyone who deserves it.

But you can see it building on the board, and we watch the games more closely the rabble fan, they will turn quickly.

AB is as bluecollar and other bs as they come, you think they'll put up with a 2 week dry spell from Draisaitl? They'll be all over him at the games, when they see him around the community (see Roloson).

Again, look at the posts, calling McDavid & Draisaitl greedy, BS posts about Draisaitl's playoff being summed up as a "pass to Desharnais" etc.

If you think that "conversation" is going to get better with both of them at very high dollars, you're truly fooling yourself.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Eller is better suited to a bottom 6 role.

Nothing wrong with Eller I understand. His game has evolved under the radar since joining the Caps

I'd be pleased with either or. They both are decent on the dot who can play a great two way game.

I just like Jokinen for being more experience + the Finnish factor for Puljujarvi.

Jokinen could always skate which fits line #2 to line #3.

Last edited:

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
I do have faith that Chia is looking for a couple of bargain, 1 year additions, maybe 1 or 2 up front, and 1 on the back end. I will continue to feel this way, and keep the faith until he proves me wrong. My guess is he feels this team is close, but needs more depth in a few place. Chia, Nicholson, Gretzky... they are all better hockey minds than me, and the rest of the fans. I trust that they have a plan and it'll come together soon.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
:laugh:I don't blame them for anything, they should keep and pay everyone who deserves it.

But you can see it building on the board, and we watch the games more closely the rabble fan, they will turn quickly.

AB is as bluecollar and other bs as they come, you think they'll put up with a 2 week dry spell from Draisaitl? They'll be all over him at the games, when they see him around the community (see Roloson).

Again, look at the posts, calling McDavid & Draisaitl greedy, BS posts about Draisaitl's playoff being summed up as a "pass to Desharnais" etc.

If you think that "conversation" is going to get better with both of them at very high dollars, you're truly fooling yourself.

So now you are saying they worry about keyboard warriors or perhaps being boo'd? Or are you just trying to protect poor McDavid and Draisatl?

If a GM built a team while worrying about a few losers who love to boo or call in radio and complain well no team would have any players.

Roloson was a hero. A cup winner. Ironically, everybody hated Lowe because he traded away the teams highest paid player. lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So now you are saying they worry about keyboard warriors or perhaps being boo'd? Or are you just trying to protect poor McDavid and Draisatl?

If a GM built a team while worrying about a few losers who love to boo or call in radio and complain well no team would have any players.

Roloson was a hero. A cup winner. Ironically, everybody hated Lowe because he traded away the teams highest paid player. lol

You fail to understand Narratives, it seems.

Example, Jordan Eberle was a low value cap dump. Rick Nash is a useful veteran player.

Narrative.

Edit: When the Narrative becomes "too much money, ohmygawd, can't win like this, ohmygawd" it's going to force the team into things, like this offseason.

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
We should offer Jagr 1 yr 5 mil. We have 19mil in cap space for this year we neeed to use whats left over after Leon signs. To me this is a win win as long as its a 1 year deal.

Don't tell me Jagr wouldn't be interested in finishing his career on 97's RW.

We would still have money left to add at the deadline. This is 97's last year on ELC we need to maximize it

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
We should offer Jagr 1 yr 5 mil. We have 19mil in cap space for this year we neeed to use whats left over after Leon signs. To me this is a win win as long as its a 1 year deal.

We would still have money left to add at the deadline. This is 97's last year on ELC we need to maximize it

I agree we should do it - doesn't mean Jagr would want to. Colder climate + hard travel schedule... the thing is, if he signs, it means he wants to win and produce. He wouldn't be taking the easy way out.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014

Someone gets it :handclap:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi sounds like an intriguing idea...

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev
Khaira, Pakarinen

I can dig it.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi sounds like an intriguing idea...

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev
Khaira, Pakarinen

I can dig it.

I want Slepy on the 2nd or 3rd line this season. Chia does as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I agree, but it's not quite as simple as you say.

First off, it's 18 million in space. Not a big deal, but still.

Bonus for McDavid: 2.8
Bonus for Puljujarvi: 2.5
Space to guard against offer sheet: 10-11

So the true cap space is 1.7-2.7

If Drai signs for 8, the true space is 4.7, but we don't have that until he signs. And yes, the teams who would threaten offer sheet are doing this math and would be making my assumptions.

And really, we should be assuming even more bonus than that, just because we are not going to risk overage to next season

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I want Slepy on the 2nd or 3rd line this season. Chia does as well.

Slepyshev scored 10 points last year. He's in no way a guy you lean on in either of those roles. If he earns his way on, fine. But he has shown nothing at this level to inspire confidence in the idea of him in a scoring role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad