Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agency Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
there's an exception this year. Vegas will probably be open for business all summer and even mid season. Plenty opportunity to take some salary off their hands.

This is true, though there haven't been any rumours surrounding the Oilers and Knights, whereas a lot of Vegas' deals were foreshadowed, including the most recent one with Kruger.

I can't remember the exact dates, but I remember reading that typically, most of the dealing is completed by around July 20th (ish??).

That's possible, because of the post above. But activity slows down significantly after the first few days.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm already hating that Russell contract. Him and at least one of Lucic/RNH will have to come off the books in the future.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm already hating that Russell contract. Him and at least one of Lucic/RNH will have to come off the books in the future.

And when Nurse or/Benning prove that they are better than Russell, Chia will get rid of him. Russell is paid like a top 4 Dman and will be used like one.
Same goes for Lucic... Once Puljujarvi is ready to make 6M one of RNH or Lucic can be shipped off.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Looking back and doing some math the 2008 Penguins team had some big contracts and have survived
Crosby - 15%
Fluery and Gonchar - 11.34% ea.
Guerin - 8%
Malkin/Whitney - 7% ea.

By that standard we can have:
1 @11.25 (McD)
2 @ 8.5 (Drai and RNH(-2.5)
1 @ 6 ( Lucic )
2 @ 5.25 ( Sekera and Klef (-1)
So with That group we are very comparable to 2008-09 Penguins for top end, with 3 million to play with up and down, we need to find value contracts to make it work but its not impossible
However we need to lower all future signings, Drais incl. to stay afloat

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

RNH likely next year for a cheaper RNH and I don't see Lucic and Russell making it out of the next lockout without compliance buyouts being used, unless Looch is still a 50 point guy which is pretty inconceivable.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
but my point is the bargain players that we want aren't ready to settle for low money, 1 year deals at this point. It's only 4 days into free agency, the value deals don't usually happen until later on in the summer.

Also, while I agree that offer sheets are rare and we can't live in fear of one, we also can't screw ourselves over and not leave the option to match because we overspent on free agents.
Your 4 players you used as an example were Jokinen, Iginla, Doan, and Jagr.

Pouliot was bought out of a $4M AAV contract same as Jokinen and signed for 1 year at $1.15M. I don't see why Jokinen wouldn't sign a 1 year deal for about the same. While other buy-outs obviously were picking their landing spots to an extent Cammalleri, Sharp (bonus puts him upto $1M based on games played), and Hartnell all signed for basically $1M.

Jagr has openly stated he isn't getting calls and their is basically no interest in him. There hasn't been any rumored interest in Doan and while I haven't heard anything about Iginla I would have to imagine the same is true for him since he is the worst of these 4 names.

I'm sure not everyone is ready for bargain deals such as Fransson who apparently has multiple teams interested in him, but the guys you mentioned are all ready for bargain deals.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

Pouliot was bought out of a $4M AAV contract same as Jokinen and signed for 1 year at $1.15M. I don't see why Jokinen wouldn't sign a 1 year deal for about the same. While other buy-outs obviously were picking their landing spots to an extent Cammalleri, Sharp (bonus puts him upto $1M based on games played), and Hartnell all signed for basically $1M.

Jagr has openly stated he isn't getting calls and their is basically no interest in him. There hasn't been any rumored interest in Doan and while I haven't heard anything about Iginla I would have to imagine the same is true for him since he is the worst of these 4 names.

I'm sure not everyone is ready for bargain deals such as Fransson who apparently has multiple teams interested in him, but the guys you mentioned are all ready for bargain deals.

Like someone posted earlier there are still a large number of RFAs to sign. It'll be slow till sign.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016

they were just 4 names that were mentioned by people on here. Every player is different, some are looking for money, some for term, some for the chance to win, some for the weather, some for family, etc. Cammelari is a former King, made a lot of cash already, so that's why he went there. Sharp won 3 Cups as a Hawk, so that's why he went there. Hartnell went back to a team that he had success with. Sure, some guys are signing sooner than others, but you can't force players to sign here. We don't know if Chia has been talking to any of these players, maybe he has. We'll find out soon enough.

Due to where the Oilers are in terms on the cap and our future, they only have a small group of players to attempt to sign.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I actually like our odds at bringing in someone like these players (for bad and good). That thread on the mains about Jagr was crazy. So apparently Tallon is quoted as being broken up about moving on from Jagr, but the decision was made because he wanted the team to be faster at skating. I've seen quotes like that from time to time from GMs and it seems like the new religion. If you're willing to walk from Jagr, who seems to have a huge preference to remain in Florida, it's just odd imo. I even checked, and Jagr had good 5 on 5 production last year, and wasn't even particularly sheltered either. He was mostly on the top line and seemed to do well, although I didn't watch their games. But it seems most GMs now want that skating speed.

But Chia obviously doesn't follow this train of thought. That seems to go back even to the Boston days, which were teams about puck possession and physical play rather than skating, not that they were all slugs. But on the Oilers, he brought in Maroon before he slimmed down, Reinhart, Lucic, has time for Gryba, and swapped Hall for Larsson. Speed isn't paramount with him it seems. He'd definitely have time for Jagr, Iginla, Franson, Doan, and probably Jokinen too I'd bet.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Oilers should sign Jagr

Imagine the forward group:

Nuge-McDavid-Jagr (raise Nuge's worth before trading him)
Lucic-Drai-JP
Maroon-Strome-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

(1st line to raise Nuge's worth before inevitably trading him)
(Maroon can run possession in his own line well + this brings his asking price down)

Also Jagr is joking about the getting no calls thing. There are insiders saying he's garnering interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->