Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agency Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
FYI, Doan was doing some shopping in town, and my bud asked him if he was going to keep playing and he said he was leaning towards retiring. Nothing exciting or unexpected I guess, but a little tidbit.
This was a few days ago.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Well at least the Condors are improving.

So who's left on the RW list now?

Jagr, Vrbata, Iginla, Doan, Vanek, Stafford ... am I forgetting anyone?

Jagr is the one I'd want most. Rest is definitely second pickings.

Jagr for me, is a PP guy mainly. I like Iginla only because he can play a heavier game still, but I think Vanek is my choice for a cheap contract.
Stafford 2nd, but unsure of what he'll deliver (very up n down player)

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Coffey was already out of town before the fans turned on him. He held out for more money after he found out what other guys were getting during the '87 Canada Cup. He never wore an Oilers jersey after that. Fans had no idea what players were making back then. They were angry because he was refusing to play in Edmonton. His situation isn't remotely comparable to today.

I remember when pocklington offered him an apartment building as part of the negotiation. How many here remember That?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I remember when pocklington offered him an apartment building as part of the negotiation. How many here remember That?

lol, he probably should've taken that deal. It would likely be worth a small fortune now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wish we got Radulov instead of Lucic.

Eh maybe ... I guess?

Radulov - 18 goals, 36 assists, 54 points

Lucic - 23 goals, 27 assists, 50 points

Radulov - $6.5x5 years (age 31)

Lucic - $6x6 more years (age 29)

I'd take Lucic simply because I think he intimidates other teams more and makes other teams think twice about doing something stupid.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Eh maybe ... I guess?

I'd take Lucic simply because I think he intimidates other teams more and makes other teams think twice about doing something stupid.

Noticed this big time this last year. He adds more than just stats can say

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Eh maybe ... I guess?

I think he intimidates his own team pretty good, too.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It it just me or does Sam Bennett present an interesting offer sheet possibility? A team could offer him 3 years at $3.90M and he'd come in at only a 2nd round draft pick. If you wanted to gamble on him, you could offer 5 years at $5.00M (actually up to $5.90M) and it would only be a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. I think a $5.00M deal would at least force the Flames to think about not matching it.

Big fish hunting via offer sheets seems next to impossible but I've always felt there was some interesting moves to make with younger guys who have yet to break out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he intimidates his own team pretty good, too.

Kind of a stupid comment. His production is good and I'm sure everyone on any team would rather have a Lucic type player on their roster if they're going to war than not have one.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Kind of a stupid comment. His production is good and I'm sure everyone on any team would rather have a Lucic type player on their roster if they're going to war than not have one.

Kind of a stupid interpretation. Intimidation isn't always negative.

Intimidate: frighten or overawe (someone), especially in order to make them do what one wants.

He wants to win. Would you want to pull-shoot during backcheck if that guy was giving you the mean-n-nasty on the bench?

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It it just me or does Sam Bennett present an interesting offer sheet possibility? A team could offer him 3 years at $3.90M and he'd come in at only a 2nd round draft pick. If you wanted to gamble on him, you could offer 5 years at $5.00M (actually up to $5.90M) and it would only be a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick. I think a $5.00M deal would at least force the Flames to think about not matching it.

Big fish hunting via offer sheets seems next to impossible but I've always felt there was some interesting moves to make with younger guys who have yet to break out.

I love out of the box ideas.

This is a good one. Just make sure you do it after Drai's locked up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Problem with this idea is you're counting on Bennett actually developing. If he doesn't you've got a pretty big waste on the team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If you sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal it's not that big of a deal. Also, you could buy him out at 1/3

It would need to be a big enough of a deal for the Flames to decide not to match. And any offer sheet comes with the attached cost of picks. You only send out an offer sheet if you think you're going to get the player. And you're only going to get the player if the offer sheet is too much for the other team to pass up, either in the money it costs or the compensation is too good.

It's not as simple as just buying him out a year or 2 later because you've also spent picks to get him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
To us yes, but your more average Oilers fans will barely tolerate McDavid at his price, you have him and Draisaitl, it won't be long before they turn, sharply, on that overpaid German guy.

Again, get value you while you can.

So you trade your second best player to placate fair weather fans? Also what do you mean by "us". You are the one who wants to trade him.

GM's wouldn't last long if they traded players because some casual fans thought he made too much money.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Washington has 8.5 million in cap space and still needs to sign Burakovsky, Grubauer, and 5 more roster players. I wonder if we'd be able to grab Lars Eller cheaply to fill our 3C spot. He's 1 year away from UFA.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Stupid signing imo dosent help the NHL team and he barley does much at the AHL level and it's for 2 years????? I hate when the team makes a bad bet.

Excellent signing imo. He might help the NHL team and really helps the AHL team and doesn't cost anything against the cap and they got him for two years! I love when the team makes a safe bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad