Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Defense Set, or Another Addition In the Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As long as he can produce with McDavid and be a contributing member of our top 6, that’s a positive for the team. Again, if he could produce at that level without McDavid, he wouldn’t be getting paid 3.2.
I thought in the playoffs Kassian looked really good when he was put on the third line. I still don't mind Kassian's contract even, except the term is too long. But, maybe he'll age okay. As a third liner, Kassian would be overpaid but if he's a great third liner it's livable. And, he always has the ability to play in the top six, although with him it seems feast or famine up there. The ideal would be for Puljujarvi to put his game together and take the 2nd top six RW spot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case. Doesn't seem to deter anyone from treating McDavid like a piñata or that little shit rat in Calgary from taking runs.

He'd hit 30 playing a full season with McDavid, but the team would be better off if they had someone better in that spot, which is hard to do when you're overpaying fourth liners to pretend to be first liners.

IMO to be worth his contract he needs to:

1) Play on Connor's wing and be a ~20 goal and ~45 point guy.

2) Play on a different line and be a 12-15 goal and 25-30 point guy.

3) Provide solid PKing, play a physical brand of hockey game in and game out and be a ~10 goal/20-25 point guy.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
IMO to be worth his contract he needs to:

1) Play on Connor's wing and be a ~20 goal and ~45 point guy.

2) Play on a different line and be a 12-15 goal and 25-30 point guy.

3) Provide solid PKing, play a physical brand of hockey game in and game out and be a ~10 goal/20-25 point guy.
12-15 ES goals playing bottom 6? Who was the last Oiler to do that?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
12-15 ES goals playing bottom 6? Who was the last Oiler to do that?

Different line could include Drai's line. That said he is paid pretty handsomely for a bottom 6 guy so what are you thinking is a fair expectation? 6-8 goals at ES?

Last season from guys that were strictly bottom 6:

Sheahan 7ESG
Khaira 6ESG
Haas 5ESG

Should we not expect 10 for Kass when he makes 3X as much as those other guys outside of Khaira? Turris will likely be our 3C and he is hardly chopped liver as an offensive 3C.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Different line could include Drai's line. That said he is paid pretty handsomely for a bottom 6 guy so what are you thinking is a fair expectation? 6-8 goals at ES?

Sheahan 7ESG
Khaira 6ESG
Haas 5ESG

Should we not expect 10 for Kass when he makes 3X as much as those other guys outside of Khaira? Turris will likely be our 3C and he is hardly chopped liver as an offensive 3C.

Considering we have 3 actual scoring lines now. Kassian scoring 10-15 could be a thing under that scenario. It would be silly not to push for offensive now that we have wing depth and Turris for the 3C spot. I could be wrong depending how Tippett wants them deployed but thats what I'd like to see.

Reactions: bucks_oil

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case. Doesn't seem to deter anyone from treating McDavid like a piñata or that little shit rat in Calgary from taking runs.

He'd hit 30 playing a full season with McDavid, but the team would be better off if they had someone better in that spot, which is hard to do when you're overpaying fourth liners to pretend to be first liners.

He is sometimes good enough.

Either way McDavid will get ragdolled until the refs cheer for Edmonton. Kassian or no Kassian.

At least Kassian might punch someone in the face for a penalty instead of the usual phantom calls.

Reactions: Little Fury

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Sheahan 7ESG
Khaira 6ESG
Haas 5ESG

10G 25pts from 3rd line is doable for Kassian considering Turris will be a linemate along with someone like Neal,Chiasson, Kahun or Ennis on the other side.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like Kassian. I think he has a unique skillset. I was ok with the cap hit when he signed (obviously I wish it was lower), I just wished the contract had been shorter. Its not a crippling contract but I dont think hes a player you give a 4 year contract to unless its cheap.

Even though I like the players, he was simply disappointing after he signed that contract. If he has similar years to what he did last year overall, I dont think you can complain about the contract. It partially sucks a bit with the whole Covid thing, but thats not the Team/Kassians fault. I am just personally skeptical that he will have a similar year next year to what he had this year overall. I think we are going to see more of the second half Kassian than the first half Kassian moving forward. I hope I am wrong.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's who I said earlier!

high five
This is beside the point, but Jones used to get a lot of looks on the top line back then. He was a pretty solid finisher, not unlike Maroon. It only magnifies the fact that production from our bottom six has been an area of need for many years.

Pisani and Moreau are the last two productive true checking line wingers the Oilers have owned.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
This is beside the point, but Jones used to get a lot of looks on the top line back then. He was a pretty solid finisher, not unlike Maroon. It only magnifies the fact that production from our bottom six has been an area of need for many years.

Pisani and Moreau are the last two productive true checking line wingers the Oilers have owned.

The RPM line.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The asking price for Julius Honka has to be pretty low. He's Finnish, but I can't really say if and what he could have to offer to the NHL at the moment, but he used to be a promising prospect with good skating. He's a former first round pick, but if you could have him for something like a low interest forward prospect and possibly a low pick he might be worth a try.

I understand if some feel Bouchard and Broberg are on their way so there's no need, which is possible, but Honka has scored 31-44 points in his AHL seasons. Looking at just the stats (and age) he may be ahead of Broberg at this stage. Of course that should change at some point, but if there's no place in the Oilers he could be a useful piece in Bakersfield.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honka is in the same position that Puljujarvi is in. He just signed back in Dallas. If it works out, he'll probably be a valued asset. If it doesn't, he'll likely be on waivers. Either way, he's not much of a defenseman as he is a rover. Tyson Barrie fits that bill this season.

Reactions: 780il

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Honka is in the same position that Puljujarvi is in. He just signed back in Dallas. If it works out, he'll probably be a valued asset. If it doesn't, he'll likely be on waivers. Either way, he's not much of a defenseman as he is a rover. Tyson Barrie fits that bill this season.

I believe Dallas is ready to give him for a very reasonable price so if someone is willing to take the small gamble he might become the valued asset for the other team. I understand Barrie fits that bill, but I think the future of the hockey is going more towards the offensive defensemen and it could be great if the Oilers actually had more competition in that side and in any case at least one of them for each pair.

There'll also be injuries so they could use Honka in the AHL and call him up for some stretches when needed. Just a thought, like I said I don't know his current level that well, but he at least used to be a very interesting defender prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad