Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Defense Set, or Another Addition In the Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Kassian had 13-15-28 in the first 41 games of the season, all at even strength. If he continued that pace he’d end off with 26-30-56, all at even strength, along with toughness that can keep up with the play.

I think it’s fair to say that 3.2 million would be a significant underpay for a consistent Kassian.

Not when you consider his production is entirely due to McDavid and everyone knows it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
As long as he can produce with McDavid and be a contributing member of our top 6, that’s a positive for the team.

But it's not worth much more than what he's making now.

Again, if he could produce at that level without McDavid, he wouldn’t be getting paid 3.2.

All I'm saying is if he was a bit more consistent and could be counted on to produce around 40 points with McDavid while providing a consistent level of physical play he'd be worth his contract. But he can't and he doesn't and so he's not. Whether he'd be worth more if he was a completely different player than the one he is and is capable of being is pretty irrelevant.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
But it's not worth much more than what he's making now.

All I'm saying is if he was a bit more consistent and could be counted on to produce around 40 points with McDavid while providing a consistent level of physical play he'd be worth his contract. But he can't and he doesn't and so he's not. Whether he'd be worth more if he was a completely different player than the one he is and is capable of being is pretty irrelevant.
I don’t agree with the assumption that he isn’t capable of 40 points with McDavid over a full season, so that’s where our disconnect is. He played better than his coming contract in the first half of the season, and worse in the second half. He had a bad stretch of 2 points in 12 games with the suspension and all star break sprinkled in between. Ended off the season with 4 points in his last 6 games, and then the covid break came. I’m going to wait and see how he does in the first year of his new contract before deciding that he isn’t living up to it.

Reactions: TB12

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
from Kurt Leavins.

It would make sense with the Oilers being tight to the cap to go the 1 year deal route and then extend him halfway through the season. It would be nice if they extended him and then shortly afterwards he clicked on a line and exploded offensively but that might be too wishful. Kind of like the opposite of what happened with Kassian.

Last edited:
Reactions: AddyTheWrath

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
It would make sense with the Oilers being tight to the cap to go the 1 year deal route and then extend him halfway through the season. It would be nice if they extended him and then shortly afterwards he clicked on a line and exploded offensively but that might be too wishful.
Yea would be nice to get him at a low cap hit before he truly establishes chemistry. We really benefitted from signing Klefbom long term and Leon as well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t agree with the assumption that he isn’t capable of 40 points with McDavid over a full season, so that’s where our disconnect is. He played better than his coming contract in the first half of the season, and worse in the second half. He had a bad stretch of 2 points in 12 games with the suspension and all star break sprinkled in between. Ended off the season with 4 points in his last 6 games, and then the covid break came. I’m going to wait and see how he does in the first year of his new contract before deciding that he isn’t living up to it.

He put up 30 points in less than 700 minutes with McDavid.

The opinion that he isn't capable of 40 points over a full season just isn't based in reality.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I think he's capable, but again that requires he bring a level of consistency that has evaded him throughout his career.

If only the Oilers had a McDavid .... errr wait.

Yeah but he wasn't even that great with McDavid and he's useless away from him (I don't think being +7 5v5 is much to write home about). With finite resources available, overpaying marginal guys to play with the best player on the planet means fewer resources to either improve other parts of the roster or get a guy who can perform even better with 97.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As long as he can produce with McDavid and be a contributing member of our top 6, that’s a positive for the team. Again, if he could produce at that level without McDavid, he wouldn’t be getting paid 3.2.

I like how people complain about Kassian and Chaisson's contracts. They are both paid in the range of a 3rd line player but they provide extra value by being able to play up the lineup in short stints. Technically anyone can produce points with Mcdavid but Kassian provides grit and protection for the Mcdavid line and he has the speed to not look out of place. Kassian will probably finish the season around 15 goals/30 points while playing anywhere from the 1st line to the press box all season, which is decent value for his cap hit.

Reactions: fresh meat and TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He put up 30 points in less than 700 minutes with McDavid.

The opinion that he isn't capable of 40 points over a full season just isn't based in reality.

Nobody said he isn't capable. Based on his track record it just doesn't seem likely.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I like how people complain about Kassian and Chaisson's contracts. They are both paid in the range of a 3rd line player but they provide extra value by being able to play up the lineup in short stints. Technically anyone can produce points with Mcdavid but Kassian provides grit and protection for the Mcdavid line and he has the speed to not look out of place.

I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case. Doesn't seem to deter anyone from treating McDavid like a piñata or that little shit rat in Calgary from taking runs.

Kassian will probably finish the season around 15 goals/30 points while playing anywhere from the 1st line to the press box all season, which is decent value for his cap hit.

He'd hit 30 playing a full season with McDavid, but the team would be better off if they had someone better in that spot, which is hard to do when you're overpaying fourth liners to pretend to be first liners.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nobody said he isn't capable. Based on his track record it just doesn't seem likely.

He had 15 goals and 34 points in 59 games last season so that's pacing for close to 20 goals and about 45 points even with the same inconsistencies he's had his entire career.
That right there is worth $3.2M and while he was largely invisible the last few months, you can't ignore the first half either.

The $3.2M number isn't really that bad pre-COVID especially. It's the term that's bothersome. Players like Kassian who are approaching 30 should never get 4 years unless the AAV is really low.

Reactions: Oilhawks

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
On the flip side. How soft would this team be without Kassian?

We're paying for his experience playing with Connor and team familiarity on top of what Kassian already brings as opposed to an AHL plug for physicality and toughness. Until there's someone to replace him in his role, I'd keep him. Instead of finding reasons to get rid of the guy, who would be the replacement option for Kassian that would be able to play with Connor? I've already mentioned Maroon in a separate post but that ship has already sailed.

I'd rather not go back to the DoD where the team was easily pushed around.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
I like how people complain about Kassian and Chaisson's contracts. They are both paid in the range of a 3rd line player but they provide extra value by being able to play up the lineup in short stints. Technically anyone can produce points with Mcdavid but Kassian provides grit and protection for the Mcdavid line and he has the speed to not look out of place. Kassian will probably finish the season around 15 goals/30 points while playing anywhere from the 1st line to the press box all season, which is decent value for his cap hit.

I agree. That being said, Kassian's contract is still one of our "worst" contracts (thanks to Holland doing an incredible job) so it gives people something to complain about.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Buddy should just retire and get a gig with the main club and love the commitment to the city and team from leon. Going to europe then coming back in time for voluntary workouts.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree. That being said, Kassian's contract is still one of our "worst" contracts (thanks to Holland doing an incredible job) so it gives people something to complain about.

The only real complaint on his contract if the 4tb year. We don’t have much to complain about when a 3.2 cap hit is the second worst contract on the team.

Reactions: fresh meat

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Roope Hintz signing for 3 x $3.15M. That's a good signing for the Stars. I think he outperforms that contract.

Selfishly though I hope he has a down year and maybe Holland could pry him out of Dallas for pennies on the dollar with the Stars needing to re-sign Heiskanen after this coming year (and don't ruin my fantasy pointing out all the Dallas UFAs coming off the books in 2021). Adding a player of that dimension as a middle six winger would really help the Oilers be a more difficult team to play against. Don't really have a player like him on the team currently.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Roope Hintz signing for 3 x $3.15M. That's a good signing for the Stars. I think he outperforms that contract.

Selfishly though I hope he has a down year and maybe Holland could pry him out of Dallas for pennies on the dollar with the Stars needing to re-sign Heiskanen after this coming year (and don't ruin my fantasy pointing out all the Dallas UFAs coming off the books in 2021). Adding a player of that dimension as a middle six winger would really help the Oilers be a more difficult team to play against. Don't really have a player like him on the team currently.
Hintz was my choice for 2nd round pick had the Oilers kept the pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad