Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Defense Set, or Another Addition In the Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think they're going to miss Brodie *a lot*. Between replacing him with Tanev and Gio finally showing signs of age, I really don't think much of their D.
I got shredded by flames fans for saying something similar months ago, they seem to love Andersson, and think Valimaki will step in and play top 4, despite missing all of last season.

Brodie was their best defenseman last year, Gio I think will have a sharp decline, Hamonic is also gone, Tanev is a decent number 4 but doesn’t bring the same tools Brodie did.

Not even mentioning they have the most streaky top 6 in the NHL, they are either all in or completely invisible.

I think in a Canadian division it’s

Toronto
Edmonton

Montreal/Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Ottawa

I for one would love the rivalries that would be born out of this, even though multiple games with Leaf fans on this board is tough.

They aren’t better off than being in the pacific though. Vegas is still the only real threat in that division. You still have to fast the other best teams in Calgary/Vancouver. Also all of LA, Arizona, Anaheim are much easier opponents

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As far as a Canadian division goes: I think Ottawa is still well out of the playoffs and Montreal is probably a half-step below the rest of the field. WPG, EDM, CAL, VAN and TOR are probably all in the same boat as playoff contenders but not much more than that.

As far as teams not wanting to comeback, I think in the end we're looking at a February start and a 40-something game season. Things will just be too hot on January 1, but TV deals will make it difficult to throw away the whole potential season for both the PA and the league.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gazzola saying on a podcast that some Canadian owners & teams don’t want to play the upcoming season. Name dropped Edmonton and Vancouver as two teams that there have been whispers about.

I wonder how Katz' wealth has been doing through all of this? The lack of fans would definitely be hitting his pocket hard.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I wonder how Katz' wealth has been doing through all of this? The lack of fans would definitely be hitting his pocket hard.
People stocking up on lots of drugs though but you are correct, the Oilers make money. They have to with the deal Katz got. I must say though, the downtown core looks much better with the additions of the Ice District. I worked in Edmonton in 2006 . It was my first time in Edmonton and I loved it. I found the downtown area was lacking though. Halifax actually had more to offer. I returned in 2018 and I couldn’t believe the change. I have to hand it to Katz, he has really brought the Oilers into the 21st century. I’ve probably been to at least 20 NHL rinks and Rogers is the best

Reactions: Aerchon

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I got shredded by flames fans for saying something similar months ago, they seem to love Andersson, and think Valimaki will step in and play top 4, despite missing all of last season.

Brodie was their best defenseman last year, Gio I think will have a sharp decline, Hamonic is also gone, Tanev is a decent number 4 but doesn’t bring the same tools Brodie did.

Not even mentioning they have the most streaky top 6 in the NHL, they are either all in or completely invisible.

I think in a Canadian division it’s

Toronto
Edmonton

Montreal/Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Ottawa

I for one would love the rivalries that would be born out of this, even though multiple games with Leaf fans on this board is tough.

They aren’t better off than being in the pacific though. Vegas is still the only real threat in that division. You still have to fast the other best teams in Calgary/Vancouver. Also all of LA, Arizona, Anaheim are much easier opponents

Calgary’s defence will be garbage next year. Gio was already declining last year and will only get worse, Anderson is garbage. I like Hanafin and Tanev but they are more 2nd pairing guys. There success next season will depend on if Markstrom is the real deal.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
People stocking up on lots of drugs though but you are correct, the Oilers make money. They have to with the deal Katz got. I must say though, the downtown core looks much better with the additions of the Ice District. I worked in Edmonton in 2006 . It was my first time in Edmonton and I loved it. I found the downtown area was lacking though. Halifax actually had more to offer. I returned in 2018 and I couldn’t believe the change. I have to hand it to Katz, he has really brought the Oilers into the 21st century. I’ve probably been to at least 20 NHL rinks and Rogers is the best

Katz has been out of the medicine business for a few years now. Just FYI.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Katz sold rexall awhile ago.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Most of these billionaires are coming out of this pandemic much richer. Hockey business will be hurting when you have no revenue coming in.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As far as a Canadian division goes: I think Ottawa is still well out of the playoffs and Montreal is probably a half-step below the rest of the field. WPG, EDM, CAL, VAN and TOR are probably all in the same boat as playoff contenders but not much more than that.

As far as teams not wanting to comeback, I think in the end we're looking at a February start and a 40-something game season. Things will just be too hot on January 1, but TV deals will make it difficult to throw away the whole potential season for both the PA and the league.

Maybe it's just me hating the Flames but I feel like Montreal and Calgary should be swapped.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
3 billion.

I believe he’s in real estate right now. Hard to find

Katz’s fortunes are basically split into three buckets: real estate/property development (condos and office buildings via ONE mostly), the Oilers, and a brief but unsuccessful try at Hollywood film financing. Given demand is down for condos and offices, the Oilers cannot have fans, and Joel Silver wasted a bunch of money on private chefs and assistants before walking away from his own company, I can see why/how he’d be feeling the pinch right now.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Calgary’s defence will be garbage next year. Gio was already declining last year and will only get worse, Anderson is garbage. I like Hanafin and Tanev but they are more 2nd pairing guys. There success next season will depend on if Markstrom is the real deal.

Hopefully Gio's diving/jumping skills take a hit this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad