Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Defense Set, or Another Addition In the Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sure Holland touched base with Jimmy Howard, I wonder what was said. Honestly I'd be more interested in a goalie putting up good numbers on a bad team than a goalie putting up great numbers on a great defensive team.

Those last year numbers though, wow.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm sure Holland touched base with Jimmy Howard, I wonder what was said. Honestly I'd be more interested in a goalie putting up good numbers on a bad team than a goalie putting up great numbers on a great defensive team.

Those last year numbers though, wow.

In all likelihood we will see a shortened season with a shortened training camp and Holland probably saw the value of bringing back the goalie tandem that knows the defense and vice versa. Won't be much time to feel out a new team.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
In all likelihood we will see a shortened season with a shortened training camp and Holland probably saw the value of bringing back the goalie tandem that knows the defense and vice versa. Won't be much time to feel out a new team.
What you posted makes perfect sense. Being a shorten season and Smith knows the team would be command sense to bring him back .

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

That's exactly what I took from it when we signed him. Not too worried about it this year. Let's check next year for a goalie upgrade.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’ve been going back and watching highlight packages from every game last year, and it’s good to be reminded of how solid the goaltending was for the most part last season. Smith even stole us some wins, including a huge one against WPG in March

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I still think there’s a good chance we’re gonna circle back to Arizona for a goalie in season if our guys are not getting the job done. Holland asked about Kuemper earlier, wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him coming here at some point. Holland does really want to address the goalies and bring us a stud in that position.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think there’s a good chance we’re gonna circle back to Arizona for a goalie in season if our guys are not getting the job done. Holland asked about Kuemper earlier, wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him coming here at some point. Holland does really want to address the goalies and bring us a stud in that position.

Yup. If goaltending declines from last regular season, pull the trigger. Klef will be on LTIR by then.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019

What would be the return ?
Benson + ?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think it’s definitely a possibility but there will be interest in Kuemper and the Yotes will probably get a 1st from someone.

If we’re looking at Arizona I’d wonder how interested they’d be in a Raanta for Smith swap with us adding something small. Saves them almost 3M in cap space, the Oilers would probably have to find a taker for Chiasson though without taking money back.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@tabs

I thought it'd be better to reply to you in this thread than the Lagesson one so it's not derailed.

I say that because other GMs aren't in the business of helping the Oilers out when they have arguably the best duo in the league when they're tight to the cap and have a key RFA to sign. If I was another team's GM, this is the approach I'd be taking if I'm taking on a player of Chiasson's caliber with no money being returned.

If anyone wanted Chiasson straight up as a cap dump, it'd likely be done by now. It could still happen but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: tabs

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I know that DRY line was the best line in the league for a decent period of time, but remember too that McNuge were lights out in the play in round. Sure it was a small sample size against a defensively questionable team, but they made some serious magic. Nine points in four games is the highest point per game (McDavid 2.25) seen in the playoffs since '91-92 (Mario Lemieux 2.27) and '92-93 (Adam Oates 2.25).

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
@tabs

I thought it'd be better to reply to you in this thread than the Lagesson one so it's not derailed.

I say that because other GMs aren't in the business of helping the Oilers out when they have arguably the best duo in the league when they're tight to the cap and have a key RFA to sign. If I was another team's GM, this is the approach I'd be taking if I'm taking on a player of Chiasson's caliber with no money being returned.

If anyone wanted Chiasson straight up as a cap dump, it'd likely be done by now. It could still happen but I'm not holding my breath.
Good call on switching to this thread. I agree that other GM’s aren’t going to do us any favours, but my point was that we don’t need them to. We can sign Bear right now to a contract comfortably in the high 2’s if we wanted to without having to move anyone out. We’d just submit a 20 man roster on opening day to be cap compliant and then put Klef on LTIR before calling up the waived players, including Chiasson, to get to the full 23 man roster.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Good call on switching to this thread. I agree that other GM’s aren’t going to do us any favours, but my point was that we don’t need them to. We can sign Bear right now to a contract comfortably in the high 2’s if we wanted to without having to move anyone out. We’d just submit a 20 man roster on opening day to be cap compliant and then put Klef on LTIR before calling up the waived players, including Chiasson, to get to the full 23 man roster.

I will admit I'm no capologist...I keep forgetting Klefbom can't be put on LTIR until game #1 of the season so if Holland can dance around it this way, that's a pretty smart way to "launder" money around.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I know that DRY line was the best line in the league for a decent period of time, but remember too that McNuge were lights out in the play in round. Sure it was a small sample size against a defensively questionable team, but they made some serious magic. Nine points in four games is the highest point per game (McDavid 2.25) seen in the playoffs since '91-92 (Mario Lemieux 2.27) and '92-93 (Adam Oates 2.25).

Amazing what a top-6 winger can do with our two Art-Ross centers. Go figure.

Imagine a day where we had 4 of them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The latter is the bigger blind spot, I hope that he learned his lesson from the play-in debacle.

Can you blame him for starting Smith in Game 1? The Oilers made their playoff push with Smith backstopping them most games. Before that little speed bump the team hit before the pause when the entire team was garbage for about 5 games, Smith had 1 loss in 2 months and over a .920 save percentage in January and February.

Smith clearly stunk in Game 1 (the team did him no favors though) but it's not like Tippett started him just because of loyalty. Not to mention also that he's always been a good playoff performer.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Wow Strome getting paid. While the Spooner trade was dumb, I don’t think he was ever going to break out like that here unless he moved to wing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wow Strome getting paid. While the Spooner trade was dumb, I don’t think he was ever going to break out like that here unless he moved to wing.

Zero chance he'd put up those numbers centering the 3rd line on any team. Even less chance when your most common linemate is Lucic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad