Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chia's Quest For D and WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Drai+1st is too steep a price to pay. I would LOVE to get Pietro but that is a big over payment. We need the depth and lose our skilled size up front. I would trade 1 or the other (much rather trade the pick) but unless Doughty, EK or Ekblad is coming back no way both go together.

imo, if we offer our 1st + Drai for Pietro, they turn it down.

Pietrangelo is a member of a very limited group of Dmen. Some have better offense than others, but the bottom line is that as long as Pietrangelo is on the Blues defense, they will always have one of the best defenses in the league. All they have to do is put in a moderate effort on the rest of it. If they get rid of him, they'll be fighting to hold their D together every year, which is the future for us btw. We can still win it all with that reality, but it is what it is.

Btw, a high 1st is incredibly overrated as a trade asset unless there is someone like McDavid available. Drai is also valuable but not established enough to get an anchor like Pietrangelo

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah i like the idea of paying $7 million for a 3rd line winger.

Defense would still be a complete joke.

Except Lucic is playing top unit PP....

It's like when people see lines they just assume "1, 2, 3" instead of "1A, 1B, 1C"

Those would be mixed and matched easily. Pouliot would be the "3rd line LW" if you put them on a depth chart, those are the lines I assembled to start.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm wondering what you guys think here.

Let's say we make a deal with the Isles for Hamonic. Assume Hall for Hamonic is the base, Isles add obviously. Mid round pick + a prospect.

What are your thoughts on Josh Ho-Sang? Him and McDavid were minor midget teammates in the GTHL together IIRC.

Seen Ho-Sang play last summer live at the World Junior showcase during the summer. Uber talented, confident with lots of upside. Comes with baggage and has been a bit of a problem child for the Isles. Start him in Bakersfield and make him earn everything he gets. Could be worth taking back as the prospect.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think Chia should also really go hard after Pietrangelo, maybe even OEL, definitely Burns, even if he's just a year away from FA... I'd like to see them go for a tier higher than just the Vatanens, Cecis or whatever else, these sort of middling, not overly established young guys... that's what I would call "settling"... Hamonic would most definitely be nice but not at the price of Hall, not a chance.

A damn shame the Oilers don't have a single stud coming up through the ranks on the blueline.

With Shattenkirk not in their long-term plans, I don't see why they'd move on from Pietrangelo as well.
There might only be one asset that can get OEL and that's the #1 pick. And I'd do it.
Burns is an interesting one. If San Jose asks for Nurse would you do it? Given the rest of their defense I'd imagine it's who they'd want.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Ducks aren't worried about the cap but are also a budget team. Hmmmmm interesting, I wonder how that works.
It all depends on the ownership. If they want they can sign vatanen and spend to the cap. They've only done once.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Let's say we make a deal with the Isles for Hamonic. Assume Hall for Hamonic is the base, Isles add obviously. Mid round pick + a prospect.

What are your thoughts on Josh Ho-Sang? Him and McDavid were minor midget teammates in the GTHL together IIRC.

Seen Ho-Sang play last summer live at the World Junior showcase during the summer. Uber talented, confident with lots of upside. Comes with baggage and has been a bit of a problem child for the Isles. Start him in Bakersfield and make him earn everything he gets. Could be worth taking back as the prospect.

Jeebus...where's the barf emoji?!!!?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

We don't need a young, small skilled head case on this team that doesn't play defense.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

Except Hall for Hamonic will never happen despite what irrelevant prospects and picks the Islanders add.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If we win the lottery, what can we get to swap with the 2nd or 3rd overall team?

Surely Toronto or Columbus would give us a ransom for Matthews.

I don't know that it would be much more than picks/prospects. Matthews might be the top player available, but he's not a generational talent and the others have quite the skill set as well.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If we win the lottery, what can we get to swap with the 2nd or 3rd overall team?

I don't rank Laine as highly as some. To me, if we win the lottery the only reason we don't take Matthews is that someone offered a #1 D for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think that the add on Hamonic is a lot more significant than that. Think something like Hall and Fayne for Hamonic, Dal Colle, and their first this year. If they don't like it, they can go try to poach someone else's star LW.

Does Hamonic + for Landeskog look heavily slanted to the Isles side? It sure does to me, and I'd take Hall over Landeskog ten times out of ten.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't rank Laine as highly as some. To me, if we win the lottery the only reason we don't take Matthews is that someone offered a #1 D for him.

I think even those who hold Laine in very very high regard think that we should keep 1st OA if we get it. Matthews is in another tier, and has been all season. He was known to be the consensus #1 when we were busy drafting McDavid.

That being said, he's practically a full year older than the rest of his draft class. Which I suppose is something to consider.

Either way, I don't see Chiarelli trading the pick altogether. Trading down if we land the 2-4 spot might make sense. But he'll probably draft it.

workedforme

Oct 20, 2006

Toronto would probably pony up. Can't see Columbus being interseted though, I'm sure Jarmo would be more than happy with one of the 2 Finns

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I think that the add on Hamonic is a lot more significant than that. Think something like Hall and Fayne for Hamonic, Dal Colle, and their first this year. If they don't like it, they can go try to poach someone else's star LW.

Does Hamonic + for Landeskog look heavily slanted to the Isles side? It sure does to me, and I'd take Hall over Landeskog ten times out of ten.

If you're trading Hall, you better be getting a NHL winger back like Nelson/Lee.

It's still a bad trade for Edmonton, mind you.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
One thing that makes me nervous about Hamonic is that he plays decently sheltered minutes behind Leddy and Boychuk. Don't get me wrong I would love to have him on our team, I just think that too many people are throwing out trades involving Hall where we do not get a return that is anywhere close to fair value.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hamonic is 100% not bring back Hall. That is Isle fan fantasy, nothing more. If Hall is moving the D coming back would have to be much better.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The way I look at it, if the Oilers spend the assets required to obtain Hamonic then they're going to forego breaking the bank for a bona fide "#1 dman" and instead get another 2-3 type dman and go with a defense model of 2 pairings that can play 21-22 minutes/night, and a 3rd pairing that gets whatever minutes are left over.

Basically Hamonic/Klefbom/Sekera/<blank> for top 4, then whomever's left over of Davidson/Gryba/Fayne/Nurse/Reinhart/Pardy/best AHL callup (Musil? Simpson? Laleggia?) to make up the bottom pairing and #7 pressbox guy.

I'm not confident they can get Hamonic AND that #1 guy without spending assets that would cripple the forward group and leave McDavid and Draisaitl with nobody to finish off their plays. *Maybe* they could do it if they put the '16 1st rounder in play if it's in the top 3, but I've seen nothing from Chiarelli that convinces me he is willing to part with that pick if it's not for a King's ransom. And unless it's #1 overall and Arizona's management takes a heaping dose of crazy pills prior to draft day I don't see a team willing to pay the price that Chiarelli would be looking for.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It all depends on the ownership. If they want they can sign vatanen and spend to the cap. They've only done once.

Without knowing your teams situation, is there a reason why they have a sell imposed budget? Are the owners not extremely rich relative to other NHL owners? Is attendance down? There has to be a reason that a good team like yours doesn't spend to the cap.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Fact is, without Hall our LW depth is garbage, and without Eberle/Yak our RW depth is garbage...

It's already garbage though. We suck at scoring goals, and these guys aren't getting the job done except for Hall who has struggling mightily

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's already garbage though. We suck at scoring goals, and these guys aren't getting the job done except for Hall who has struggling mightily

What I'm saying is, as much as we need defense, we also need offense. We can't trade all of these guys for D. We should start looking at veteran forwards we can bring in.

Gotta think one of Marleau/Thornton will be made available. I'd love to bring one of those guys in.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Eberle scores goals at about the same clip as Hall, the problem with him is that he can't find his own end without a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad