Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chia's Quest For D and WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
Reply to misfit from last thread

response in bold.

David Backes, C
- RHS, leadership, offense, size, grit, flexibility, and costs only money. Where do I sign? He's a big pricetag, so moving out salary would have to happen, but adding him would be a no-brainer, even at 31.

Okposo, RW, FA,
- A lot of the same qualities as Backes, with the exception of being able to play C. Adding him only makes sense if we have a deal in place for Eberle and/or Yakupov. I like the player, but not as much as Backes, and bringing him in would have to be under more specific circumstances. Paying that big price is a little harder to justify on a FA winger than a player who can play C too.

Lucic, LW, FA
- Depends on the price. He's a little more one-dimensional than the first two names on this list, and isn't likely to come any cheaper. They all have question marks about their bodies holding up in the long term, but he's still young. But him being a LW and LHS reduces my interest a bit (the latter more than the former). Again, I do like the player though.

Andrew Ladd, LW, FA
- Basically the same situation as Lucic for me, and I'd be more worried about term with Ladd. Good player, but doesn't fill a need, and isn't the best use of cap space.

E. staal, C, FA
- He reminds me a lot of Brad Richards in that his salary has always been near the max allowable under the cap, but rarely did much to justify it. He's going on reputation and will probably be one of the worst FA buys in the league this year. I don't want the team saddled with his albatross deal to be us. Pass.

Jagr, RW, FA
- In the zombie apocalypse, the only people left alive will be Jaromir Jagr and people that look like Jaromir Jagr. This guy is going to play until he's 100. I'd easily add him if he was willing to come for a year or two.

Yandle, D, FA
Even though he's a LHD and plays the left side, I don't think we're in a position defensively to turn our noses up at any capable defenseman. We also don't have any Dmen that excel on the powerplay, so he'd definitely be of use to us.

Eriksson, RW, FA
- One way or another, it appears we'll be needing to add a forward to play the right side. Maybe we get this in the draft via Finland, but we could do a lot worse than Eriksson. Depends on cost (FA players come with FA contracts) and what other moves we make. Not a priority or a need in our current situation.

B. Campbell, D, FA
- Fills a need (if on the wrong side), but is a little long in the tooth and is sure to cost a lot. Ultimately, I think I'm passing here. 36 years old, can play 22 min a night. I wonder what the term and price would be for him.

Rusell, D, FA
- Flames were wise to move on. Overrated and soon to be overpaid.

Hudler, C/RW, FA
- Not a need, and definitely not the best use of cap space for us.

Vrbata, RW, FA
Could do worse, but I don't think he'd be interested. He'd be a stop-gap anyway until we found something better/more permanent. Pass

W. Simmons, RW, PHI
- Can't see the Flyers wanting to move him (unless I missed something), which means he'd take an enormous asset cost to acquire. Love the player and the fit, but don't see how we make it work.
I would love to make this work somehow. I'd be willing to give up so much to get him. 27 years old, 6"2, 185, plays even bigger, can score 30 goals. RW looks to be a future need.

Fowler, D, ANA
- Undecided. Haven't noticed much from him in the few games we played them, but he has the reputation of a puck mover and good on the powerplay. If any of those things are reality, then he could be worth a look, but I'll suspect he'll cost too much in assets to justify the add in the one position we have a surplus in (young LD). Then we'd just need to get Henrique out of NJ and we can have the whole Windsor MC gang together again.

Vatenen, D, ANA
- Love the player and the fit, but wonder about the cost. Still, he's worth a pretty big price, so I would absolutely see what it would take. Best thing is that Anaheim needs to do something to stay under the cap

Zibanejad, OTT
- Decent player, but not a big enough upgrade to justify pursuing. If he was a FA, I'd be interested, but adding him means sending value the other way.

Turris, OTT
- Ditto.

Hoffman, OTT
- Like the player, and if his contract demands are reasonable, I'd definitely look at it. Rumor is he will get paid a LOT of money. Has scored just under 30 goals this season and last. Wouldn't make sense unless Hall is being traded for D.

Ceci, D, OTT
- I must be missing the news out of Ottawa (aside from they're bad this year), because it seems you have a lot Sens owner has said there will be major changes, nobody is safe, etc. GM confirmed it. They already have Karlsson and Methot on top pairing, and Phaneuf with Ceci on second pairing, so it's possible they could move a Dman

Weircioch, D, OTT
- Never understood the infatuation around Oiler Country with this player. I'd look in many other places to fix the D before turning to Weircioch to solve anything. agreed, but I think Ottawa would pretty much give him away, may retain salary?

Lazar, OTT
- Again, what? Is he on the block? Good player, obvious connection to the Oilers, and seems like a great guy to have in the lockerroom, but he's not a priority. I'd have to think they'd only move him because of what they could get for him. Are we desperate to add another C/LW? He hasn't worked out at all in Ottawa. 4th line Centre or scratch, and like I said, they want to make moves this offseason to get into the playoffs next year. Agreed he isn't a priority at all.

Hartnell, CLB
- Once upon a time, I would've been for it. Now he's just an aging PF with a bad contract. No thanks. I just wonder if they would retain on him. Big guy can score 20-30 goals, and insulate skill guys. Rich mans Maroon. Playing LW makes him undesirable unless we are trading Hall or Pouliot.

Drouin, TB
- Not interested

Hamhuis, D, FA
- Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore.

Stempniak, FA
- He's older, but shouldn't cost much and has actually managed to remain a fairly effective player. He'd be a decent short-term addition. He has actually scored 18 goals this season and makes hardly any money. I believe he is still a decent twoway player

P.A. Parenteau, FA
- Not unless other moves were made

Brodin, D, MIN
- No thanks. Too high an asset price, and isn't as good as his reputation (at least on HF)

Schlemko, FA
- If we don't re-sign Gryba, it would be a decent 6/7D add.

Z. Michalek, D, PHX
- I've always liked him, and would be ok bringing him in for his final year if we decide to trade Fayne, but his NTC might make it a moot point anyway.

Connor Murphy, D, PHX
- No thanks. Adding more youth to the defense doesn't interest me. Good point. Although I'm open to trading our young guys too, and we may need to include one or two in deals for better D, and balance on left and right. I believe Murphy plays top pairing on the right or OEL

Stone, D, PHX

Hamonic, D, NYI
- Pretty much the ideal fit. Like Vatanen, he'd cost a hefty price, but he's also worth it. Great contract too. His contract ups his value big time

Burrows, VAN
- Zero interest. Absolutely none.

Brouwer, RW STL
- He's a FA, no? If the price was right, he fits the need. I'd look at it for sure. Yes, he is a FA. 6'3, 213lbs, 31 yrs old in August. Plays RW, Consistantly scores about 19 goals/season. Currently getting 3.75M this year. I expect a raise.

Trouba, D, WPG
- He definitely seems like a good piece to add, but I would question why he's available in the first place. If he's asking for more than he's worth, is it wise to pay it and also give up significant assets to do so?

Shattenkirk, D, STL
- Getting the guy we hoped we'd one day have in Schultz would be great. Good on the powerplay. He checks a lot of boxes, but what's the ask?

Stamkos, C, FA
- I'm of the mind that if you have an opportunity to add an elite player in his prime, you do it. Yes, I'd be interested in Stamkos. Would cost big money, and it would mean you can probably expect RNH, Eberle, Yak to be traded away but you kind of have to try even though it is extremely unlikely, and you would likely end up with 2 stars making over $20M combined in Stammer and McD.

Erik Johnson, D, COL
- Yes, absolutely. Why, is he available? Colorado is looking for a shake up as well

Lecavelier, C/RW, LA
- It's one thing to rejuvenate your career on a contending team in a complementary role. It's another to do it on a basement dweller. This is Doug Weight in Carolina. Not Doug Weight in his early years of St. Louis. No thanks.

Jackman, D, NSH
- No thanks. Like the player type, but not the 35 year old version of the player.

R. Ellis, D, NSH
- Fills a need in some respects, but Nashville won't give him away. I'd look elsewhere first, but he's not a bad backup plan. No matter who we get, we will have to pay up for. I'm fine with that. NSH still needs scoring

Hjalmarsson, D, CHI
- Does he waive his NTC to come here? I'd love to find out. Probably not, but if they make other big moves, some players may take notice and see the Oilers as turning it around

Chara, D, BOS
- OK, maybe Jagr and Chara. I know he's old, and I know he's expensive, but at almost 40 years old, the man still gets it done. I'd bring him in all day. He's just one of those players who makes everyone else better. Question for me is how much do you give up for 1 or 2 years of a declining version of Chara?

Jun 9, 2011
People need to realise that the sort of D that Chiarelli is going to be able to acquire via trade are going to be unproven to a certain extent. Vatanen might cost something like the Oilers first rounder in 2017, and I'd probably be ok with a trade like that.

Otherwise, if you trade RNH or Eberle, you're going to end up with the likes of Cody Ceci, Matt Dumba, Trouba, etc. All are fine players, but not yet proven top pairing guys (not even top 4 necessarily). Hamonic would be a great addition, but do we have what the Isles would want???

I think the first chip to fall will be RNH dealt to Ottawa or Columbus for Cody Ceci or Ryan Murray respectively. It's a safe deal that meets an immediate need for both of those teams.
I trade Eberle for whichever d we can get that will improve our team. Keep the high pick. We got rid of a lot of picks last year and stand to lose a second to Boston yet.

If we trade Nurse for a 'top four' - which is to say, middle pairing - defenceman, fire this franchise into the sun.
I agree.
Boychuck was drafted in 2001/2002, he played 4 games for Colorado in 2007/2008, 1 game for Boston 2008/2009 and finally 51 games for Boston in 2009/2010. It's insane to trade a kid that is doing his best when thrown in the deep end. Use other assets, not potential like Nurse.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I trade Eberle for whichever d we can get that will improve our team. Keep the high pick. We got rid of a lot of picks last year and stand to lose a second to Boston yet.

I agree.
Boychuck was drafted in 2001/2002, he played 4 games for Colorado in 2007/2008, 1 game for Boston 2008/2009 and finally 51 games for Boston in 2009/2010. It's insane to trade a kid that is doing his best when thrown in the deep end. Use other assets, not potential like Nurse.

I don't understand a mindset that values potential over proven results and this post captures it perfectly.

Eberle is in the top 30 among forwards in goals and total points over the last four seasons, a consistent 25 goal man in a league where offence is at a premium. is he a perfect player? No, but he's got a lot of value and would probably look great on a team where there's some D that can cover his lapses. But this is the guy you move over a 21 year old whose first taste of pro hockey consists of him getting caved in and whose early returns look more Jack Johnson or Ladislav Smid than Chris Pronger? Yes yes I get the whole "he's a young D be patient" thing; I just don't understand taking him off the table for something that improves the team now.

The only argument for keeping Nurse over Eberle that makes any sense to me is the contract status.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton

I agree.

I see your point, but can you imagine what the Oilers would have received for Yakupov before or after his first season? Likelwise with Schultz? Or Hemsky a year or two before he was traded. Sometimes waiting is what kills you. Value can drop substantially, and in the mean time we have a crappy team to boot, as we wait for the potential to be realized.
Also, we need to win NOW. It seems strange to say this about a 29/30th place team, but our window starts now.

Personally, I try to trade O for D first, but when you have a load of good, young D on the left side, we really don't have room for them in their natural position. Trading one or two for what they are expected to become, or even what they are now, but on the right side sounds like pretty decent asset management to me.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
I don't understand a mindset that values potential over proven results and this post captures it perfectly.

Eberle is in the top 30 among forwards in goals and total points over the last four seasons, a consistent 25 goal man in a league where offence is at a premium. is he a perfect player? No, but he's got a lot of value and would probably look great on a team where there's some D that can cover his lapses. But this is the guy you move over a 21 year old whose first taste of pro hockey consists of him getting caved in and whose early returns look more Jack Johnson or Ladislav Smid than Chris Pronger? Yes yes I get the whole "he's a young D be patient" thing; I just don't understand taking him off the table for something that improves the team now.

The only argument for keeping Nurse over Eberle that makes any sense to me is the contract status.

I don't completely agree or disagree with either of you.
I no longer see reason to have all this "potential" on the team anymore. We stockpiled it, drafted who we thought were the best avilable players, and now you make trades and cash it all in for the perfect mix. Quebec was the first team to get 3 1st overall draft picks in a row, it didn't mean they kept them all (of course, Lindros forced their hand, but he wasn't the only one to be traded). You have to deal from strength, which means youth, skill forwards, and to some extent, LHD. I hate the thought that anyone is untouchable on this team (OK, McDavid is, but that's it). If the return is right, we will have a better team in the end. I would take a good #2 RH Dman at a fantastic cap hit over a young LH Dman that you hope will be a #1, but could easily turn out to be a #3, and have to suck for a couple more years while we find out.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Glad to hear hall is on the near untouchable list. When this team takes off, he's going to be one of our most important players.

I can't see Chia moving RNH this off season, so I'm thinking we see Eberle, Yak, the pick, and some spare parts moved for help on D. Eberle, and picks, plus the likely top 3 pick, will certainly bring back some top 4 D help.

You ship those two out, bring in some vets like lucic, eriksson, and backes (Obviously very far fetched, but something along those lines) and suddenly you have a veteran leadership core to surround mcdavid, with both the size and skill to insulate him and the younger guys for once in their lives.

As tempted as I am to say blow it all up, I honestly think seeing the likes of Eberle and Yak traded, is going to be enough gone, as long as you bring the right bodies in.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
Glad to hear hall is on the near untouchable list. When this team takes off, he's going to be one of our most important players.

I can't see Chia moving RNH this off season, so I'm thinking we see Eberle, Yak, the pick, and some spare parts moved for help on D. Eberle, and picks, plus the likely top 3 pick, will certainly bring back some top 4 D help.

You ship those two out, bring in some vets like lucic, eriksson, and backes (Obviously very far fetched, but something along those lines) and suddenly you have a veteran leadership core to surround mcdavid, with both the size and skill to insulate him and the younger guys for once in their lives.

As tempted as I am to say blow it all up, I honestly think seeing the likes of Eberle and Yak traded, is going to be enough gone, as long as you bring the right bodies in.

Agreed. A mini-blowup should be enough. We don't need to trade everyone. Those guys can get something decent back, and also be an eye-opener to who is left.

It would b huge to get a Free Agent on O (to replace who is getting traded), or D, but it is just tough to say who will want to sign here. We were able to get guys that other teams wanted like Sekera and Pouliot, so who knows...

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd consider dealing a pick for Thomas Greiss but I feel like the Islanders are gonna want to hold onto him.

Halak still a good goalie for them though, Berube coming and Greiss a 2017 UFA.

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010
I think what a lot of people are missing in trading Hall, Eberle and RNH is the 18 million dollars in cap space that it allows us. We might "lose" the trade, but it might allow up to drop off a boatload of money to a desirable free agent like Lucic.

So while losing RNH, Hall or Eberle (not saying I would make any of these trades, but as a hypothetical) for Hamonic appears to be slightly to totally one sided...in theory it could end up as:

In:
Hamonic, Lucic

Out:
Hall, Eberle or RNH

That appears to be an immediate win for the Oil, obviously giving up some future "value" for a better team today...

I am all for losing all of the 6 million dollar wonder boys if we can trade them for value contracts like Hamonic. Saves just over 2 million and would allow the Oilers to sign a Lucic type player for 7 (or more) without killing your cap space.

18 million dollars (even just as a salary dump) would easily get you the 2 best free agents on the market to replace those 3 players...regardless of the return on the trades.

money talks in a salary cap world...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall won't be traded. Wouldn't be stunned if RNH isn't either though that is more 50-50.

Chia will get one of Vatanen/Hamonic/Trouba/Shattenkirk for a package centered around Eberle+ IMO and then will get another d-man because many teams are going to be forced to dump cap this summer (ie: Bouweemester) or we will sign a guy like Demers.

Yakupov is gone.

There won't be a mass "blow it up" type thing that happens though, but Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz out is a gradual phasing out of the old core. RNH may eventually be gone but I don't think Chia sells for peanuts on that either. Has to be a very good package coming back for the Oilers.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think what a lot of people are missing in trading Hall, Eberle and RNH is the 18 million dollars in cap space that it allows us. We might "lose" the trade, but it might allow up to drop off a boatload of money to a desirable free agent like Lucic.

So while losing RNH, Hall or Eberle (not saying I would make any of these trades, but as a hypothetical) for Hamonic appears to be slightly to totally one sided...in theory it could end up as:

In:
Hamonic, Lucic

Out:
Hall, Eberle or RNH

That appears to be an immediate win for the Oil, obviously giving up some future "value" for a better team today...

I am all for losing all of the 6 million dollar wonder boys if we can trade them for value contracts like Hamonic. Saves just over 2 million and would allow the Oilers to sign a Lucic type player for 7 (or more) without killing your cap space.

18 million dollars (even just as a salary dump) would easily get you the 2 best free agents on the market to replace those 3 players...regardless of the return on the trades.

money talks in a salary cap world...

I agree with the logic, and it's also why I want to move Eberle partly, but also you can save money by simply not being dumb.

Fayne 3.625, Ference 3.25, Korpikoski 2.5....

That's a free 9M or so if you can offload the first one, maybe have the 2nd one retire or move to LTIR and you buyout or offload the 3rd one.

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
Hall won't be traded. Wouldn't be stunned if RNH isn't either though that is more 50-50.

Chia will get one of Vatanen/Hamonic/Trouba/Shattenkirk for a package centered around Eberle+ IMO and then will get another d-man because many teams are going to be forced to dump cap this summer (ie: Bouweemester) or we will sign a guy like Demers.

Yakupov is gone.

There won't be a mass "blow it up" type thing that happens though, but Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz out is a gradual phasing out of the old core. RNH may eventually be gone but I don't think Chia sells for peanuts on that either. Has to be a very good package coming back for the Oilers.

If you believe the rumors, RNH was offered in a swap for Seth Jones so he is certainly willing to trade him, and it would be that type of return.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
If you believe the rumors, RNH was offered in a swap for Seth Jones so he is certainly willing to trade him, and it would be that type of return.

No such offer was ever made. Nashville came sniffing around RNH, no deal was ever offered or in place, and then a "better" center became available so any discussions ceased.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Ah, yes: the old "sell low, buy high" approach. :D

Not wild about throwing a ton of money at aging FAs to fill holes created by trading top sixers for third liners or whatever. Lucic would be fine but he's not coming here, so really we're talking about Ladd and Backes types which would be contracts we'd regret in pretty short order IMO.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not really trade related exactly but does anyone know:

What the actual end of the year is like. Will Chiarelli sit down with all the players and ask them what they did or didnt like about the season, coaches, other players, etc etc?

How much interaction does a GM actually do with the players throughout the season and at the end of the season?

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010
Ah, yes: the old "sell low, buy high" approach. :D

Not wild about throwing a ton of money at aging FAs to fill holes created by trading top sixers for third liners or whatever. Lucic would be fine but he's not coming here, so really we're talking about Ladd and Backes types which would be contracts we'd regret in pretty short order IMO.

How much more regret can they suffer than dead last in the league? At least Ladd might have the balls to stop and engage in a puck battle as opposed to doing a fly by and coasting out to the neutral zone for 4 years straight.

The only regret I would have at this point is not trying something different for next year. I am not saying go and make stupid trades, but the sky isn't falling if Taylor Hall isn't on the team next year...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not really trade related exactly but does anyone know:

What the actual end of the year is like. Will Chiarelli sit down with all the players and ask them what they did or didnt like about the season, coaches, other players, etc etc?

How much interaction does a GM actually do with the players throughout the season and at the end of the season?

I believe most teams do exit interviews. To get a sense of what the player thought of the season, and what they need to do in the summer to prepare for next year. I don't know if that will be Chia or if that will be McLellan, or if it will be both.

Jun 9, 2011
Eberle goes before Hall or RNH I hope, but I think we may lose RNH as well and get a mediocre third line centre somewhere until Yakimov or other farm kid is ready to come up. Don't fill that spot with Matthews; We have had the bounty from the lotto gods, so this year we lose all the top three lottos. I'm ok with that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Maroon - McDavid - Eriksson
Laine - RNH - Draisaitl

That's a top 6 I want to see next season.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Vatenen, D, ANA
- Love the player and the fit, but wonder about the cost. Still, he's worth a pretty big price, so I would absolutely see what it would take. Best thing is that Anaheim needs to do something to stay under the cap
The ducks aren't worried about the cap at all. They're not near it. Vatanen doesn't need to moved, but its best for a budget team, especially with Theodore and Montour killing the AHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The ducks aren't worried about the cap at all. They're not near it. Vatanen doesn't need to moved, but its best for a budget team, especially with Theodore and Montour killing the AHL.

That's literally the antithesis of what every other Ducks fan in here says. Can't take Eberle, too much money. Can't take RNH, too much money. Retain here. Take that dump back. If you ask me most are just grumpy at the Maroon return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA