Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chia's Quest For D and WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Chia learned a heavy lesson from the Seguin situation and you can tell it still bugs him to this day.

That said I mean I think it's lost in the mix here that Seguin's behavior was freaking bizarre, I mean if its true they had to hire a security guard to basically guard his door to prevent him from going out and getting **** faced during a playoff stretch ...

I mean how many players but their franchise in a bind by being that unprofessional?

Say what you want about Taylor Hall, but at least he has largely been a model citizen here even despite years of poorly contstructed teams put around him with little to no chance of playoffs. If we had taken Seguin and he had behaved like that here it would've turned into a complete gong show in a hockey-first market like this.

It would've gotten VERY ugly here if he pulled stuff like that here.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Stamkos is going to cost $10+ mil per year....the PA and his super agent are not going to settle for less. Thinking otherwise is wishful thinking. That does not work for the Oil and realistically I don't see him signing here anyways. And the last thing this team needs is another skilled forward. We need D PEOPLE

For F sake. Some of you are from the MacT school of building teams :help:

On a brighter note Klefbom should be good to go next year (he was on Gregors show today)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A lot can change in 3-4 years. I'd worry about becoming competitive now and if Stamkos wants to sign here for reasonable money you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

What if the Oilers draft Laine and he scores 50 and they have to pay him 9 mil in 3 years? It's all hypothetical and as long as you have good players moving one for futures won't be a problem. Look at Chicago. It seems every year they can't afford an important piece but they keep on truckin'. Just be under the cap every September and ice the best lineup possible.

If you can get him at an affordable price sure 7-8M for 7 years or something like that fine. But I'm going under the assumption it takes at minimum 10M to sign him using the Kane and Toews deals as a comparison. For that much I think we can use 10M and build a better team.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If he really cares about his legacy as one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game he should be very open to playing with a talent like McDavid. The fact he's been in a quiet hockey market like Tampa might make him want to shake things up and sign in a Canadian hockey hotbed too.

Who knows, but it isn't as far fetched as some people think.

If he cares about his legacy he will sign in TO. An Ontario born 1C that signs with TO? If he takes them anywhere near the cup he's an automatic HoFer. Sundin is proof of that.

Besides, doesn't he want to play C? That means the only time he'd play with McDavid would be on the PP.

I don't think Stamkos is a realistic option at all. Jmo

Update on this offseason biggest land mine. I am really, really scared of Lucic. He screams Clarkson (way better but will get way more).

Canucks giving Lucic a 7 year 8 mil deal would be gravy. Kills two birds with one stone. 1) saves Chiarelli from giving him a bad deal 2) gives a rival a bad contract

I would LOVE to sign Lucic. He'd offer at least 4 years of a nightmare to play against top 6 power forward. Put him with Hall and Drai and that line can match up with the heaviest teams in the west. Not sure about 8. But high 6s and I'd be all over that.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If you can get him at an affordable price sure 7-8M for 7 years or something like that fine. But I'm going under the assumption it takes at minimum 10M to sign him using the Kane and Toews deals as a comparison. For that much I think we can use 10M and build a better team.

That is all on point. I wouldn't go after him either, but if he came to the Oilers and expressed his desire to play with McDavid it would be like turning down sex with a supermodel if the Oilers didn't put a decent offer in. I'd go as high as 9 per. It could potentially set a bar for McDavids 2nd contract too.

RNH and Eberle combine for 12M a year, Nikitin and Schultz 8.5. Trade RNH and Ebs for a few defensemen and a 3rd line forward.

RNH/Ebs/Schultz/Nikitin = 20.5M

Hamonic/Sobotka/Vatanen@5/Stamkos@9 = 20.5

I know which group makes the Oilers a better hockey club.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Stamkos to the Oilers is more of a possibility than many fans around the league think it is. I don't think Stamkos is as greedy as people think, but demanding a lot of money is something you do when you aren't happy where you are. Who would ever price themselves out of a situation they're happy to be in? He's obviously not happy in Tampa and rather than saying "yeah I hate it here" you just ask for the moon knowing they won't give it.

Secondly, he's been in the sunshine and anonymity and might want to take a crack at a hockey city. He's also Canadian and has said he would like to play in Canada. Knowing those things, I think the Oilers are the best choice. They can affor him, they have top notch management and coaching (still weird to say that), moving into a new arena and possess possibly the greatest player in the game. He knows McDavid is good. He would be silly to not want to play with him.

I agree that the only other Canadian team that would be in the running is Toronto, but they're SO far out. Being the talent that he is and at the age that he is, you know he'd rather be the icing on the cake rather than the dough and eggs. He could sign a 5 year contract in Edmonton with an expectation to win a Cup in that time. I don't think you could say the same about Toronto.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Stamkos is going to cost $10+ mil per year....the PA and his super agent are not going to settle for less. Thinking otherwise is wishful thinking. That does not work for the Oil and realistically I don't see him signing here anyways. And the last thing this team needs is another skilled forward. We need D PEOPLE

For F sake. Some of you are from the MacT school of building teams :help:

On a brighter note Klefbom should be good to go next year (he was on Gregors show today)

I think those in the pro-Stamkos group are under the impression of we do sign Stammer for 10 million as a UFA. We trade 2 of Hall, Eberle, RNH, or even Pouliot for D help. So you make cap room and also are able to add D.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Stamkos gets 10 max

The guy is an absolute flake in the playoffs

Numbers have been on the decline

Not an interesting player at all

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Colton Sceviour would be a good cheap add to our bottom six tbh.

Hendricks-Letestu-Sceviour, hard working 4th line that can chip in some offence.

He will be our yearly edmonton FA add

Hall-Drastaitl-Shaw
Maroon-McDavid-Eriksson
Pouliot-Nuge-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Sceviour

Sceviour could play up the line-up if needed too.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers didn't even contact Stamkos' agent come free agency. He's just so far off the radar on what this team needs right now. Not to mention that it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where the Oilers pay Stamkos 10+ million and are also able to address their backend while remaining within the cap.

I understand the allure of imagining Stamkos on the point blasting home one-timers from McDavid.

But it just doesn't make that much sense tbh. The Flames make more sense for Stamkos tbh if he was coming to Western Canada.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Let's use some very wishful thinking and say we do get Stammer.

Trade one - Eberle + for Hamonic
Two - Hall + Yak + 2017 1st for Faulk?
Three - Sign a cheap 3C. Someone like Brad Richards or dare I say Derek Roy.

Maroon - McDavid - Stamkos
Laine - RNH - Draisaitl
Pouliot - Richards - Korpikoski
Hendo - Let - Pak

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Hamonic
Nurse - Davidson

Cam Talbot

Lol one can dream.

(Signing out of NHL16 GM mode, Loui Erikkson would work great as the RW on Connors line and would cost much much less than Stamkos)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Dubois
Demers
Hamonic
Roussel

Would be a sweet shopping list. 4 quebeckers taming the wild beast that is the Oilers.

Inside joke being that until he demanded a trade to Manitoba to be with his family I always just randomly assumed hamonic was from quebec.

There were red flags that Hamonic wasn't in fact french, be they his junior career in the whl or the fact that his first name is Travis.

And apparently Roussel isn't even from quebec. He's full flown france-french.

What's up with that?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Laine - RNH - Draisaitl
Hendo - Let - Pak

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Hamonic
Nurse - Davidson

Cam Talbot

Lol one can dream.

(Signing out of NHL16 GM mode, Loui Erikkson would work great as the RW on Connors line and would cost much much less than Stamkos)

If the Oilers are lucky enough to draft Laine I would see no need for Stamkos. IMO trading 3 of Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yak would be entirely feasible with either Laine, Matthews, or Stamkos added.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Laine - RNH - Draisaitl
Hendo - Let - Pak

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Hamonic
Nurse - Davidson

Cam Talbot

Lol one can dream.

That 3rd line is gross and that Faulk trade is a lot to give up. We also shouldn't be spending $$$ on Stamkos unless he's taking a pay cut because he wants to play with McDavid, which I doubt.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Dubois
Demers
Hamonic
Roussel

Would be a sweet shopping list. 4 quebeckers taming the wild beast that is the Oilers.

Inside joke being that until he demanded a trade to Manitoba to be with his family I always just randomly assumed hamonic was from quebec.

There were red flags that Hamonic wasn't in fact french, be they his junior career in the whl or the fact that his first name is Travis.

And apparently Roussel isn't even from quebec. He's full flown france-french.

What's up with that?

Why would the Stars trade Roussel? He's a valuable 4th liner.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
That 3rd line is gross and that Faulk trade is a lot to give up. We also shouldn't be spending $$$ on Stamkos unless he's taking a pay cut because he wants to play with McDavid, which I doubt.

Personally i would do that Faulk trade quite easily.
Just a fun lineup, obviously won't be happening anytime soon.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
there is a pretty cool site called capfriendly.com where you can build a roster. It includes options to trade or buyout.

If the Eberle / Harmonic and Pouliot / vaatanen trades happen, we have a ton of cap space. I would also like to see RNH for Duchene + as RNH has not shown a lot of success with Hall / Leon. IMO, Duchene might be a better fit.

We could easily sign a guy like Okposo or Lucic for 6 mill and be fine capwise

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

The guy has Faulk, Stamkos, Laine and Hamonic being added to the team and you are worried about Korpikoski on the 3rd line ? :laugh:

I am up for Hall+Eberle+Yak out and Stamkos in just for the sake of culture change.

Maroon-McDavid-Stamkos
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

damn good top 6. Add in Laine, Kassian on 3rd line as gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad