Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chia's Quest For D and WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I can't stop thinking that Stamkos could come here.

If he really cares about his legacy as one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game he should be very open to playing with a talent like McDavid. The fact he's been in a quiet hockey market like Tampa might make him want to shake things up and sign in a Canadian hockey hotbed too.

Who knows, but it isn't as far fetched as some people think.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Heres my go crazy and highly optimistic proposals

Eberle + 3rd for Hamonic (easy one)

Yakupov + 2nd for Dumba- I have a good feeling that Dumba is ready to break out. Yak for Vat is too big of a value gap. Dumba is not proven and stuck behind some good D in Minny. Dumba gives you that young puck moving D. Can also hit too

Sign Demers for 4 years @ 6 million. Big $ value by low term.

Trade G. Reinhart + pick for Nichuskin/Eakins/Ritchie. Whichever one he can get. With new upgraded D I dont see a spot here. Get a young PWF or good depth player for him

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Demers
Davidson-Dumba

D core has a great mix of youth (3 yougn guns), vet presence (3 vets), style (Klefbom, Dumba, Sekera as puck movers, Demers, Davidson, Hamonic as shutdown D with puck moving skill)

Nurse in AHL and #1 injury call up. By end of next year if hes ready, trade Sekera and get cap benefits. move Davidson or Nurse to second pairing

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Its truely amazing how in denial some are. I mean a lot of the posts after this one are about how shocked they are Chiarelli didnt trade Seguin. When its been widely speculated for a while now that it was Neely who was pushing the trade (and by more than that clip I posted)

In some Chiarelli Oiler interviews he was asked about the trade and was pretty cryptic. Basically saying there is a lot more behind that trade but he couldnt discuss it. Normally if a GM screws up on his own hell say as much. Cant see Chia as a guy to pass blame if it wasnt legit

Chiarelli been nothing but solid here. Apart from Reinhart deal. But its under my assumption 100% (maybe im giving to much cred to Chiarelli). That he came into Edmonton thinking he had to make big moves asap and was rushed. Perfect storm was MacT was outgoing and Chia listened to him likely. MacT had a man crush on Reinhart from before(we knew he pursued him) and got Chiarelli to make that deal. Because every deal since has been rock solid, Again maybe Im giving Chiarelli too much props

It really wouldn't surprise me that Chiarelli decided to go with the people around him on that deal. I think he quickly realized exactly what the opinion of the management around him is worth. If he didn't at that moment, sending half the roster to the press box, and the AHL, showed him what's up.

I don't want to make excuses, but I really believe there were other people in the organization pushing that trade to Chiarelli. That being said, I still don't mind that trade. Reinhart is still a pretty young guy, and we all know it can take Dmen a while to really become players.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
If he really cares about his legacy as one of the best goal scorers in the history of the game he should be very open to playing with a talent like McDavid. The fact he's been in a quiet hockey market like Tampa might make him want to shake things up and sign in a Canadian hockey hotbed too.

Who knows, but it isn't as far fetched as some people think.

No it's not very far fetched. Both Freidman and McKenzie both said don't count the oilers out, and there the 2 best in the business.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Heres my go crazy and highly optimistic proposals

Eberle + 3rd for Hamonic (easy one)

Yakupov + 2nd for Dumba- I have a good feeling that Dumba is ready to break out. Yak for Vat is too big of a value gap. Dumba is not proven and stuck behind some good D in Minny. Dumba gives you that young puck moving D. Can also hit too

Sign Demers for 4 years @ 6 million. Big $ value by low term.

Trade G. Reinhart + pick for Nichuskin/Eakins/Ritchie. Whichever one he can get. With new upgraded D I dont see a spot here. Get a young PWF or good depth player for him

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Demers
Davidson-Dumba

D core has a great mix of youth (3 yougn guns), vet presence (3 vets), style (Klefbom, Dumba, Sekera as puck movers, Demers, Davidson, Hamonic as shutdown D with puck moving skill)

Nurse in AHL and #1 injury call up. By end of next year if hes ready, trade Sekera and get cap benefits. move Davidson or Nurse to second pairing

If were paying any dman 6M+ it better be Goligoski. I don't mind Demers but if we go over 4.5M for him we'll end up regretting it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It really wouldn't surprise me that Chiarelli decided to go with the people around him on that deal. I think he quickly realized exactly what the opinion of the management around him is worth. If he didn't at that moment, sending half the roster to the press box, and the AHL, showed him what's up.

I don't want to make excuses, but I really believe there were other people in the organization pushing that trade to Chiarelli. That being said, I still don't mind that trade. Reinhart is still a pretty young guy, and we all know it can take Dmen a while to really become players.

Yeah I agree. And the fact that both TM and Chiarelli are giving him praise for his last stretch of season is promising. That being said it could be positioning for a deal this year

But that deal seemed like perfect storm. Chiarelli basically had to make a big deal, missed on Hamilton (with a better offer), then had an army of past management in who were notorious pro Reinhart in his ear. I cnat imagine Chiarelli gives MacT any time of day now for deals. Or something like "Hey Craig, who should we trade for?!" *quickly crosses that name off list of targets*

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If were paying any dman 6M+ it better be Goligoski. I don't mind Demers but if we go over 4.5M for him we'll end up regretting it.

Either one. Both have amazing underlying numbers. I would be comfortable with Demers at 5 or 5.5, but id pay extra to have him for shorter. Then in 4 years well have space when needed

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Its way to early to judge the trade. The basis of the trade is that we'd be getting a dman who should be NHL ready 3 years earlier then any dman we'd have taken in the 16 spot. So we'll see how Chabot develops, if he's in the NHL within another season or two and Griffin is still struggling then perhaps we say we lost the trade.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
No it's not very far fetched. Both Freidman and McKenzie both said don't count the oilers out, and there the 2 best in the business.

Imagine how great it would feel to get Stamkos, not only because its Stamkos, but a free agent of his caliber choosing to come to Edmonton would finally wipe the stink off of all the rejections that started with Pronger a decade ago.

Plus it would be nice to tell the Oiler haters who love to point out the free agent issues Edmonton has had in the past to go stick it up their *****:handclap:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Either one. Both have amazing underlying numbers. I would be comfortable with Demers at 5 or 5.5, but id pay extra to have him for shorter. Then in 4 years well have space when needed

Id be cautious with Demers, could see him becoming another Fayne. Goligski is more proven and if the difference between them is under 2M per on a cap hit I'd take Goligoski 8 days a week.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
definetly worth pointing out.

My point being that I doubt they would have changed their minds so quickly. Besides, its still been suggested by many, denied by few, and could just be posturing.

edit:

personally, I value Friedman's opinion over Dreger
http://thehockeywriters.com/friedman-oilers-close-to-major-trade/

That'd be Daniel Friedman, not Elliotte. This guy is basically equivalent to David Staples.

I do think they'd be interested in Eberle though.

Chiarelli's bad moves so far -

Korpikoski trade (Gordon's a UFA)
Letestu term
Reinhart trade (supposed to be NHL ready, isn't and won't be starting the year in Edmonton)
Marincin deal (why not just keep Marincin? not much different than Reinhart, and Marty can skate)

Not that bad, worst is Reinhart but I have some faith in him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Imagine how great it would feel to get Stamkos, not only because its Stamkos, but a free agent of his caliber choosing to come to Edmonton would finally wipe the stink off of all the rejections that started with Pronger a decade ago.

Plus it would be nice to tell the Oiler haters who love to point out the free agent issues Edmonton has to go stick it up their *****:handclap:

My problem is I don't see how Stamkos makes the team better for the amount of cash he'll want. For the amount its going to cost to land Stamkos we could theoretically pick up Goligoski and Loui Eriksson. The other question is if we sign Stamkos can we afford all of Hall-Mcdavid-Draisaitl and to fix the defence?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id be cautious with Demers, could see him becoming another Fayne. Goligski is more proven and if the difference between them is under 2M per on a cap hit I'd take Goligoski 8 days a week.

I can see the concern, but Fayne was in East and carried by Green. NJD also played a defensive system

I like that Demers is proven in West and on a team with same style as Oilers (more offense)

Both have good underlying numbers, but I found this a little suprising. I took a look at their most common D partners:

Demers and Oduya together: 53% CF%
Oduya apart: 47.2%
Demers apart: 59.9%

Goligoski and Klingberg together: 55.7% CF%
Klingberg apart: 55.8%
Goligoski apart: 47.2%

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
My problem is I don't see how Stamkos makes the team better for the amount of cash he'll want. For the amount its going to cost to land Stamkos we could theoretically pick up Goligoski and Loui Eriksson. The other question is if we sign Stamkos can we afford all of Hall-Mcdavid-Draisaitl and to fix the defence?

Yea you are right, cap wise its probably not the best idea to sign a guy like that. But it is fun to dream

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Update on this offseason biggest land mine. I am really, really scared of Lucic. He screams Clarkson (way better but will get way more).

Canucks giving Lucic a 7 year 8 mil deal would be gravy. Kills two birds with one stone. 1) saves Chiarelli from giving him a bad deal 2) gives a rival a bad contract

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That'd be Daniel Friedman, not Elliotte. This guy is basically equivalent to David Staples.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman dropped a major revelation today regarding the Oilers search for a top pairing defenseman while appearing on Oilers Now radio show with host Bob Stauffer.

Friedman’s take on this whole scenario is that he has no doubt Edmonton is heavily considering Hamonic. Now if he believes it’s going to happen now or later in the summer at the draft possibly is still up to debate but it seems these two teams are locked, it’s just a matter of putting something together that works for both teams.

From the article

Always

Aug 18, 2015
Travis Hamonic isn't a top four defenceman, though. He's a top pairing one, and even then I'd still be very hesitant to give up on Nurse so quickly.

Caveat Emptor with the Isles since the Reinhart trade.

Nurse has way to much potential, he isn't going anywhere but Eberle and Hall could very well be and will bring in a couple fine defenseman like Hamonic and Vatenan for starters. Hall brings the most, interesting draft day.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yea you are right, cap wise its probably not the best idea to sign a guy like that. But it is fun to dream

Stamkos would be like a desert after a full meal. Land Hamonic for 3.5 mil (and lose Eberles 6 mil) and get a guy like Dumba or some cheapish D like that and youd have space to sign him. Dump Fayne for whatever. Thats 5 mil in cap savings

Id be cautious, probaly 8.5 mil max (low ball but thats what Id do) offer. Can move Sekera in a year or two

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I can see the concern, but Fayne was in East and carried by Green. NJD also played a defensive system

I like that Demers is proven in West and on a team with same style as Oilers (more offense)

Both have good underlying numbers, but I found this a little suprising. I took a look at their most common D partners:

Demers and Oduya together: 53% CF%
Oduya apart: 47.2%
Demers apart: 59.9%

Goligoski and Klingberg together: 55.7% CF%
Klingberg apart: 55.8%
Goligoski apart: 47.2%

I see Demers as a Hamonic-lite. If we can't get something sorted out with the Islanders for Hamonic I'd definitely look at bringing him in. But if we can get a deal for Hamonic in place, I want Goligoski because he has more offence and can QB a PP.

Honestly I could see Demers going to the Islanders to replace Hamonic and we send them a forward. My preference would be Pouliot.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I'm amazed people would rather trade Hall than Nurse. Hall is already a proven top-line talent, while Nurse may have potential but I'd rather go with two sure things than hoping Nurse pans out.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

The key would be getting Hamonic on his value deal and another defenseman locked up at a decent rate. Say RFA Vatanen for 4-5 per.

Combine a very well rounded, but cheapish defense that is locked up for a number of years with RNH, Eberle, and Yak gone and it is feasible.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The key would be getting Hamonic on his value deal and another defenseman locked up at a decent rate. Say RFA Vatanen for 4-5 per.

Combine a very well rounded, but cheapish defense that is locked up for a number of years with RNH, Eberle, and Yak gone and it is feasible.

For a year or two maybe, but what about in 3-4-5 years when Mcdavids, Draisaitls and Hall's deals are up? I'd like Stamos as much as anyone but I really think there are better options that help us build a better team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Update on this offseason biggest land mine. I am really, really scared of Lucic. He screams Clarkson (way better but will get way more).

Canucks giving Lucic a 7 year 8 mil deal would be gravy. Kills two birds with one stone. 1) saves Chiarelli from giving him a bad deal 2) gives a rival a bad contract

Clarkson was a 30 year old, career 25 point 3rd liner who had a 30 goal season after getting bumped up to the powerplay on a mediocre team. There were many signs that he was badly overvalued, something that was readily apparent by just watching him play hockey.

Lucic is a 27 year old player who had spent his career as a first line winger on some very good hockey teams, and likely has a solid 5 years left in him as a strong performer at the very least.

There is no comparison between the two. Clarkson didn't decline, or fail to live up to expectations, he was a product of a specialized situation that was never going to be replicated on another team in the NHL. There is zero worry about Lucic falling off or failing to mesh with a new team in such a way.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
For a year or two maybe, but what about in 3-4-5 years when Mcdavids, Draisaitls and Hall's deals are up? I'd like Stamos as much as anyone but I really think there are better options that help us build a better team.

A lot can change in 3-4 years. I'd worry about becoming competitive now and if Stamkos wants to sign here for reasonable money you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

What if the Oilers draft Laine and he scores 50 and they have to pay him 9 mil in 3 years? It's all hypothetical and as long as you have good players moving one for futures won't be a problem. Look at Chicago. It seems every year they can't afford an important piece but they keep on truckin'. Just be under the cap every September and ice the best lineup possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad