Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chia's Quest For D and WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPStoEberletoHall*

No and no

Barrie isn't close to worth Hall even if he wasn't a pending FA. We can give less and get it done.

Also replacing Hall with Lucic is hilarious. Lucic's career high in points is lower than Hall's down season this year. He's big and mean, but he's half the player Hall is and will cost more.

Barrie + Lucic>Hall

I do agree though that Lucic is most likely to get overpaid this summer

MPStoEberletoHall*

Yea but we could probably acquire Barrie for much less than Hall. He's a pending RFA. That's how Dougie Hamilton went for so little.

I personally can't see it, but then again I was never high on Dougie.

He probably won't leave Colorado anyways. I'd love to have him though

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yea but we could probably acquire Barrie for much less than Hall. He's a pending RFA. That's how Dougie Hamilton went for so little.

It depends on how much Colorado values him. Why would they deal him anyway? They'd need a player like him almost as badly as we do now if they move him out.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Dan Boyle still seems to have a pretty good one-timer. But he's strictly a bottom pairing guy at this stage of his career.

He would be a good worse case for a PPQB.

Sekera-Hamonic
Klefbom-Davidson
Nurse-Boyle

Lack a 40 + point Dman but it would be a solid defence by committee team. Sekera/Hamonic + Klefbom/Davidson should be able to protect Nurse and Boyle.

Last edited:

Tazer19

May 24, 2012
Duchene doesn't make any sense here. He's just more of the same. If we're trading a 6 million guy, it's got to be for some defense.

I agree we need D > anything, but Duchene is definitely not more of the same. He's way bigger and more physical than any of our centres and more skilled than everyone aside from McDavid.

I don't think we should trade for Duchene though, for the record haha.

Gambl0r83*

I don't why Florida would pull such an act, but so many rumors Ekblad is on the block this summer.
This kid is a friggin stud and future top 3 d-man league round. One bad year and they're willing to pull the trigger.
Same with Arizona, Maloney specifically said he won't deal OEL for matthews, but Matthews was there watching a game in his hometown Arizona last week, and said he loves the franchise. That shot with him and Maloney looks pretty convincing they want this kid, and bad. Matthews/Strome down the middle, yep, they're certainly drooling on that idea and hoping Oilers win the lottery

IMO, if Oil win the lottery, they'll get to choose which one

If YOU had the choice, in dealing the 2016 #1 pick (assuming we win the lottery) and a choice of these two d-men, who would you pick strictly based on skill and current need? Or would you not even trade the pick at all?
-Aaron Ekblad
-Oliver Ekman-Larsson
-Auston Matthews

My choice: Ekblad
The 2014 draft I wanted Ekblad so bad, more than any other year, even the Hall/Seguin year. Even the McDavid year. I honestly had zero expectation of winning McDavid. My heart broke when we didn't win Ekblad, and if this can actually come to fruition, I'll buy season tickets for the first time since 2007

OEL is a stud, and has made a nice living schooling the Oilers ever since he stepped on NHL ice. But where have the Coyotes gone with him? Sure they made the playoffs in his 2nd season, but that was because they had a pretty decent team and Mike Smith was in the best form is his career. The other 4 years? Roommates with the Oilers. He's not that d-man that will guide us to the promised land, like Pronger was.I love OEL, he would definitely improve this team and be our #1 d-man all day, but if it's a choice between him and Aaron, it's Aaron 10 times out of 10.

Remember Florida's 13 game winning streak? Their last winning game on that streak was against the Oilers. Hendo injured Ekblad that game. Florida loses the next 6 of 7 games. This kid is a game changer and a future NHL superstar. Ekblad and McDavid on the ice together wearing the same jersey, to me would be like Gretzky and Coffey in their prime

Ekblad/Nurse/McDavid/Hall/Nuge/Drai/Talbot

That right there, is the best upcoming core of the league, by a mile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree we need D > anything, but Duchene is definitely not more of the same. He's way bigger and more physical than any of our centres and more skilled than everyone aside from McDavid.

I don't think we should trade for Duchene though, for the record haha.

Matt Duchene is neither big, nor physical. He's smaller than all of McDavid, RNH and Drai, and he hits about as much as Eberle. He's a good cycle player, but that's because he's got great edge work and great balance. He's a fast, skilled one-way player who has as many issues with inconsistency as any of the Oilers "core." He's exactly more of the same.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah, I haven't heard any credible rumours regarding Ekblad on the block because there are none.

Don't know what you're reading.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
There is literally not a single rumour of Ekblad being available because it's simply not true and makes zero sense.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tallon would have to be a complete moron to want to move Ekblad out.

The only thing that would entice him would be McDavid. I'm not sure there is another player/(realistic) package in the league that would give him pause to move Ekblad. So... yeah, he's not gonna move haha.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Dan Boyle still seems to have a pretty good one-timer. But he's strictly a bottom pairing guy at this stage of his career.

I'd rather target Franson than Boyle. At this point their skating is about equal, but I'd sooner trust Franson to be an everyday player.

I'd have no issue with Nurse-Franson as a 3rd pairing next year getting softer minutes. Nurse's skating can cover for Franson's lack thereof, and I do like how having Franson with Nurse will force Darnell into more offencive situations. If Nurse is going to stay in the NHL, I'd rather see him not get purely pegged in a low end shutdown role with a guy like Fayne or Gyrba.

Sekera-______(Established 2 way RH defenceman)
Davidson-Klefbom
Nurse-Franson

Going in with Fayne in that open spot would be a failure, and it would likely be the ship sinking before leaving port. However it doesn't need to be a Pietrangelo, Weber, or Subban in that spot; you could have resonable success with a Hamonic, Myers, Petry, Stralman level guy in that spot.

This team has tons of scoring depth, let's get 3 pairings that can fully utilize that, rather than hinder it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather target Franson than Boyle. At this point their skating is about equal, but I'd sooner trust Franson to be an everyday player.

I'd have no issue with Nurse-Franson as a 3rd pairing next year getting softer minutes. Nurse's skating can cover for Franson's lack thereof, and I do like how having Franson with Nurse will force Darnell into more offencive situations. If Nurse is going to stay in the NHL, I'd rather see him not get purely pegged in a low end shutdown role with a guy like Fayne or Gyrba.

Sekera-______(Established 2 way RH defenceman)
Davidson-Klefbom
Nurse-Franson

Going in with Fayne in that open spot would be a failure, and it would likely be the ship sinking before leaving port. However it doesn't need to be a Pietrangelo, Weber, or Subban in that spot; you could have resonable success with a Hamonic, Myers, Petry, Stralman level guy in that spot.

This team has tons of scoring depth, let's get 3 pairings that can fully utilize that, rather than hinder it.

I'm not a proponent of Boyle to be honest. Was just answering Soli's question about whether there were any right shot UFAs available with a good one-timer.

It's imperative the Oilers add two top 4 d-men. Not one top 4 guy and a bottom pairing guy like Boyle/Franson. Less than that and they'll be a bottom 10 team at best next season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not a proponent of Boyle to be honest. Was just answering Soli's question about whether there were any right shot UFAs available with a good one-timer.

It's imperative the Oilers add two top 4 d-men. Not one top 4 guy and a bottom pairing guy like Boyle/Franson. Less than that and they'll be a bottom 10 team at best next season.

I do agree, but I think it's going to be really difficult to do that all at once. I'd love to see an NYI approach of getting Boychuk and Leddy, but that was insainly lucky that both fell into their lap. The other problem there is also the expansion draft. If you get two good options you're going to be stuck leaving one of them or Klefbom exposed.

I'd think the better approach would be to get 1 true top 4/2 guy, and another good offencive option for the third pairing, and wait out the expansion draft. You would also then get the team's value out of the gutter (even if it's only to a playoff bubble team-level), but teams can't as easily low ball you then.

The one good thing is this team can afford to pay through the nose at the moment and not have it leave too much of a painful scar moving forward. For example, losing Hall and the 1st still leaves you with a top 6 of...

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

.... to which, I'm perfectly happy with.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
There is literally not a single rumour of Ekblad being available because it's simply not true and makes zero sense.

Yeah sounds like a whole bunch of wishful thinking here. I recognize it because it's exactly the kind of wishful thinking I do all the time, about those 2 guys specifically. OEL and Ekblad would be IMO the absolute best fits for this team. Ekblad, as mentioned, nothing short of McDavid would keep Tallon from hanging up.

OEL though - I would suggest that there is no single player who could be more valuable to any team more than Auston Matthews could be for the Coyotes. He would be a marketing dream. Maloney might not want to move OEL for him (and if I was the GM I probably wouldn't either), but if ownership is made aware that that deal is on the table, that could be something they would step in for.

ManicTouch

Nov 30, 2015
What's going on with the Strome proposals? He's kind of the last thing the Oilers need. Young, Center, not established in the NHL and doesn't even provide the grit.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
What's going on with the Strome proposals? He's kind of the last thing the Oilers need. Young, Center, not established in the NHL and doesn't even provide the grit.

Didn't realize there were any others. But McDavid's BFF, amazing young player, will be protected from expansion draft, and we have added more size and I expect more, so I think skill is always OK to add to your team.

Despite the pendulum having swung completely the other way, scoring in the NHL is not just about "gritensity" and truculence - skill helps.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Ooh - Maloney just got fired.

#1 overall + Eberle for OEL + Strome! :)

And now Anthony LeBlanc, the Yotes' CEO, comes out and says:

“I am mystified at some of the pure fantasy that is written, there is absolutely, 100 per cent no potential that we would trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson for the draft pick. It’s just not going to happen.

I have seen it written out of Canada. Please stop whatever you’re drinking, whatever you’re smoking.â€

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Clarkson was a 30 year old, career 25 point 3rd liner who had a 30 goal season after getting bumped up to the powerplay on a mediocre team. There were many signs that he was badly overvalued, something that was readily apparent by just watching him play hockey.

Lucic is a 27 year old player who had spent his career as a first line winger on some very good hockey teams, and likely has a solid 5 years left in him as a strong performer at the very least.

There is no comparison between the two. Clarkson didn't decline, or fail to live up to expectations, he was a product of a specialized situation that was never going to be replicated on another team in the NHL. There is zero worry about Lucic falling off or failing to mesh with a new team in such a way.

The same people ringing alarm bells on clarkson are ringing them louder for lucic. Lucic is much better, but also will be much more expensive. Us getting thru this off season without signing lucic is a win for me

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
And now Anthony LeBlanc, the Yotes' CEO, comes out and says:

“I am mystified at some of the pure fantasy that is written, there is absolutely, 100 per cent no potential that we would trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson for the draft pick. It’s just not going to happen.

I have seen it written out of Canada. Please stop whatever you’re drinking, whatever you’re smoking.â€

Is that really the right business decision though Mr. LeBlanc? ;)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I haven't heard any credible rumours regarding Ekblad on the block because there are none.

Don't know what you're reading.

i heard from that same source that guy has that the kings are high on muzzin and doughty is available

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The same people ringing alarm bells on clarkson are ringing them louder for lucic. Lucic is much better, but also will be much more expensive. Us getting thru this off season without signing lucic is a win for me

As someone who argued vehemently against signing Clarkson back in the day, and spent two years ripping Mactavish for even getting involved in trying to sign him; I'm someone who finds your comparisons to Clarkson's situation baffling.

As I pointed out, very different players, very different track records, and different ages. Yeah, he's going to be more expensive, but 6 - 7 million for a consistent 20 - 30 goal, 50 - 60 point, 27 year old top six winger -arguably the most intimidating power forward in the NHL on top of that- is about the going rate you'd expect that type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad