Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | After an Eventful 1st Day of Free Agency, Anything Left in the Bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We also have Nurse who’s solidified himself as elite. Pittsburgh is the model we should be following. Only difference is we don’t have a Fleury like they did and that’s obviously a huge hole to fill.

But the rest? Especially during their first run, that was all vets surrounding their main star guys. Not like Tampa where it was drafted and developed talent throughout the whole lineup. Second and third run they had drafted some talent but that was 10 years into Crosby and Malkin’s career.

That’s why Holland needs to go all in on getting us a goalie that is a legit number 1. If Elvis was/is available, Holland should pay a premium to get him.
If Hyman can work out as a Hossa like addition we’re even closer to that model. And yeh, Nurse is a huge piece of the puzzle and it was an ommision on my part just due to laziness. Nuge is can be our Staal as well, if we do ever get back to the whole strength down the middle concept that seems to be a bit passe in today’s NHL.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
If Hyman can work out as a Hossa like addition we’re even closer to that model. And yeh, Nurse is a huge piece of the puzzle and it was an ommision on my part just due to laziness. Nuge is can be our Staal as well, if we do ever get back to the whole strength down the middle concept that seems to be a bit passe in today’s NHL.

Strength down the middle wasn’t even a thing till the Pens did it. The NHL is a copycat league. First it was building a possession team like Detroit, then Center depth like Pittsburgh, then heavy players like Boston/LA, then back to possession/speed like Chicago and pens and it goes on.

We don’t need to copy the Pens exactly but the template is there.

Reactions: The Bored Man

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Strength down the middle wasn’t even a thing till the Pens did it. The NHL is a copycat league. First it was building a possession team like Detroit, then Center depth like Pittsburgh, then heavy players like Boston/LA, then back to possession/speed like Chicago and pens and it goes on.

We don’t need to copy the Pens exactly but the template is there.
Agree. Every time a new Cup winner emerges, there’s talk of how to get there. I remember all those eras and how the meta changed.

If the Oilers end up winning, it may be an entirely new thing altogether. Let’s hope that’s the combo of hustle on the wings and generational talent down the middle.

Reactions: McIce Whole

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Now hearing O dogs take on the Oilers D. It is of course complete trash as with most of his Oilers takes. And shows yet again he has no idea about anything Oilers related, except that he hates it and hopes they fail. His reasoning? “Year after year the Oilers are a side show in their defensive end, they don’t what they are doing, they don’t know where to go…”

Is this fat f*** too lazy to even look up our GA stats from last year? It’s obvious he doesn’t watch the games, cause our D was for the most part pretty solid and mistake free last year. Not bad the year before either. And Tippett has coached the forwards well too, with most being responsible or atleast trying to be.

Reactions: McDoused

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Agree. Every time a new Cup winner emerges, there’s talk of how to get there. I remember all those eras and how the meta changed.

If the Oilers end up winning, it may be an entirely new thing altogether. Let’s hope that’s the combo of hustle on the wings and generational talent down the middle.

It will be close to the 16 and 17 Penguins. Not exact but no one thought a defensive group/combination of Letang, Dumoulin, Matta, Jultz, Cole and Hainsey would win a cup once. They did it twice :laugh:

Deep offensive group lead by 2 of the top 5 players, depth that was 12 forwards deep and played with speed/skill/tenacity, team defence by committee and strong goaltending.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What's funny is reading over the mains that whole week up to FA, it was unanimous how bad ppl were slaying Holland, now here we are and he arguably had the best offseason.

Barrie's contract compared to the bog names.

Adding McLovin and Hyman, 2 big glue guys.

Playoff experience in Keith.

A competent 3rd line C for cheap.

Only question mark is Ceci.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
It will be close to the 16 and 17 Penguins. Not exact but no one thought a defensive group/combination of Letang, Dumoulin, Matta, Jultz, Cole and Hainsey would win a cup once. They did it twice :laugh:

Deep offensive group lead by 2 of the top 5 players, depth that was 12 forwards deep and played with speed/skill/tenacity, team defence by committee and strong goaltending.

Oilers still need to find their MAF or even Matt Murray. Oilers aren't even close to having a goalie produce at that level. Horrendous SV%'s.

I'm not too worried about the F's or the D as much.

Goalie(s) is terribly weak. Smith was great for less than half a season. Showed up late and near the end of the year he was slipping and that rolled right into the playoffs where he let in soft goals as per the usual 39 year old Smith would.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers still need to find their MAF or even Matt Murray. Oilers aren't even close to having a goalie produce at that level. Horrendous SV%'s.

I'm not too worried about the F's or the D as much.

Goalie(s) is terribly weak. Smith was great for less than half a season. Showed up late and near the end of the year he was slipping and that rolled right into the playoffs where he let in soft goals as per the usual 39 year old Smith would.

Yup, that’s what I said earlier in the conversation. Oilers need to be all in on getting a goalie, it holds us back in a big way. I like Smith and the work he’s done the past year but he isn’t the guy to carry this team.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
What's funny is reading over the mains that whole week up to FA, it was unanimous how bad ppl were slaying Holland, now here we are and he arguably had the best offseason.

Who is playing in net? Neither goalie can win in the playoffs.

There are also plenty of question marks with our D.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
Yup, that’s what I said earlier in the conversation. Oilers need to be all in on getting a goalie, it holds us back in a big way. I like Smith and the work he’s done the past year but he isn’t the guy to carry this team.

100% he's a back up goalie. People have to realize he played only half a season last year. Guess what happened he got weak by the last 7 games of the season and then was soft in the playoffs.

He couldn't steal a single game. 912SV% is horrible for playoff hockey.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

My main impression from that team was SPEED. Everything was fast including foot speed, but most prominently it was the puck movement and passing. Thinking back to Holland’s words on a team with pace, this might be the path he puts the Oilers on. Can’t argue that the free agency pick ups and trades haven’t pointed to this either. We got two fast wingers added plus a speedy upgrade on Khaira in Ryan. We retained Barrie despite already having a similar type defenceman upcoming in Bouchard. Keith is a great puck mover as well, always has been, lightning quick decision making. Ceci moves the puck better than Lars, but is a downgrade overall for sure.

We’re also lead by the fastest player in history. Yeh I’m convinced, if we are going to win the cup it’ll be with a speed game rather than big/heavy.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
100% he's a back up goalie. People have to realize he played only half a season last year. Guess what happened he got weak by the last 7 games of the season and then was soft in the playoffs.

He couldn't steal a single game. 912SV% is horrible for playoff hockey.

I don’t think Smith was horrible but the goaltending was quite evident. Despite the analytics showing the Oilers being the better team and deserving a win in all 4 games, we lost. Helley stole games for them and that’s what a strong goalie will do for you, especially come playoff time.

I really hope Holland is harassing Jarmo and trying to do whatever it takes to get Elvis.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
I don’t think Smith was horrible but the goaltending was quite evident. Despite the analytics showing the Oilers being the better team and deserving a win in all 4 games, we lost. Helley stole games for them and that’s what a strong goalie will do for you, especially come playoff time.

I really hope Holland is harassing Jarmo and trying to do whatever it takes to get Elvis.

That's playoff hockey 1 goal games. Oilers have had the 2nd best goalie on the ice every game. It's simply not good enough.

Also Oilers have to fire their Goalie Coach. Why is it that the goalies for Oilers all have weak gloves. He makes them play on the crease and you can see they don't cut angles off.

Many goalies leave and find their games away from Edmonton.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hey remember that free asset we tried to gift Dubas but his ego would not allow him to take? We’re past it, but Leafs fans who walked away from the deal and put the ball in Holland’s court are still ripping each other apart over it lol.

Kyle Dubas - - Horrible Asset Mismanagement

I love the guy blaming Holland for the leafs not getting any picks. He was a real joy to talk to prior to the signing.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
My main impression from that team was SPEED. Everything was fast including foot speed, but most prominently it was the puck movement and passing. Thinking back to Holland’s words on a team with pace, this might be the path he puts the Oilers on. Can’t argue that the free agency pick ups and trades haven’t pointed to this either. We got two fast wingers added plus a speedy upgrade on Khaira in Ryan. We retained Barrie despite already having a similar type defenceman upcoming in Bouchard. Keith is a great puck mover as well, always has been, lightning quick decision making. Ceci moves the puck better than Lars, but is a downgrade overall for sure.

We’re also lead by the fastest player in history. Yeh I’m convinced, if we are going to win the cup it’ll be with a speed game rather than big/heavy.

Agreed, I think the Oilers have to build around speed and like you said, I think we are trending in that direction. Let’s just hope the pieces fall together and Holland has what it takes to push us over the top and give us a chance to compete for the cup.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Now hearing O dogs take on the Oilers D. It is of course complete trash as with most of his Oilers takes. And shows yet again he has no idea about anything Oilers related, except that he hates it and hopes they fail. His reasoning? “Year after year the Oilers are a side show in their defensive end, they don’t what they are doing, they don’t know where to go…”

Is this fat f*** too lazy to even look up our GA stats from last year? It’s obvious he doesn’t watch the games, cause our D was for the most part pretty solid and mistake free last year. Not bad the year before either. And Tippett has coached the forwards well too, with most being responsible or atleast trying to be.
That's his job. He's doing his job, it's sports comedy. Do you want him to lose his job?

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It actually is a pretty good body of work for one off season. Nuge signing - good. Failing to Retain Lars bad. Barrie signing - good. Hyman signing - good enough. Ryan signing - great. Bear to Mclovin swap - good for the present maybe not long term, and yeh biggest worry is Ceci.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
That's playoff hockey 1 goal games. Oilers have had the 2nd best goalie on the ice every game. It's simply not good enough.

Also Oilers have to fire their Goalie Coach. Why is it that the goalies for Oilers all have weak gloves. He makes them play on the crease and you can see they don't cut angles off.

Many goalies leave and find their games away from Edmonton.

I’m convinced Schwartz has pictures on Katz or Lowe. I don’t understand how that man has survived the turnover year after year. His body of work indicates he should have been gone a long ass time ago.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
That's his job. He's doing his job, it's sports comedy. Do you want him to lose his job?

Exactly. Hes catering to his audience of leaf fans. Hes taking the heat of the leafs and distracting their fan base by bashing the Oilers. They are just trying to justify losing Hyman for nothing because "Edmonton is too stupid to overpay". Misery loves company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad