Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | After an Eventful 1st Day of Free Agency, Anything Left in the Bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What's funny is reading over the mains that whole week up to FA, it was unanimous how bad ppl were slaying Holland, now here we are and he arguably had the best offseason.

Barrie's contract compared to the bog names.

Adding McLovin and Hyman, 2 big glue guys.

Playoff experience in Keith.

A competent 3rd line C for cheap.

Only question mark is Ceci.

The most important positions on the ice are still problems: defence and goaltending.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I think he said he did not want to play in Canada. Probably tolerated Toronto because it was close to Buffalo NY area where he's from, but I think being locked behind the Canadian border probably did a number on him.

That and he's obviously going to Tampa thinking he can win a Cup.
That never pans out. Players tryinh to outsmart themselves for a cup. Marian Hossa went from penguins to red wings and failed. Then finally got one in chicago.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who is playing in net? Neither goalie can win in the playoffs.

There are also plenty of question marks with our D.

If push came to shove, I wouldn't mind Smith in the playoffs. That said we are at the point that we have enough or close to enough depth that we shouldn't expect our goalie to have to be perfect for us to win games in the playoffs.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
If push came to shove, I wouldn't mind Smith in the playoffs. That said we are at the point that we have enough or close to enough depth that we shouldn't expect our goalie to have to be perfect for us to win games in the playoffs.

Playoff hockey is 1 soft goal and you're out. Pick a game against Jets. You can find a soft goal.

Smith is 0-5. If he can't steal 1 game against Chicago or Winnipeg then it's not going to happen.

He's a 1B/back up at this point in his career. There's nothing wrong with that, but need better.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Oilers still need to find their MAF or even Matt Murray. Oilers aren't even close to having a goalie produce at that level. Horrendous SV%'s.

I'm not too worried about the F's or the D as much.

Goalie(s) is terribly weak. Smith was great for less than half a season. Showed up late and near the end of the year he was slipping and that rolled right into the playoffs where he let in soft goals as per the usual 39 year old Smith would.
Finding matt murray and binnington is easy. Just roll the dice and call up a goalie from the farm and get hot. Thats what the blues and lenguins did. Not like the league knew about them before their first NhL game. How are murray and binnington lately? Not exactly setting the world on fire. They are nothing but a Ricky Martin and Macarena.

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018
Finding matt murray and binnington is easy. Just roll the dice and call up a goalie from the farm and get hot. Thats what the blues and lenguins did. Not like the league knew about them before their first NhL game. How are murray and binnington lately? Not exactly setting the world on fire. They are nothing but a Ricky Martin and Macarena.

You're right both goalies are winners just like Ricky Martin and Macarena.

Or we can continue with that one band that's been around forever still rocking the local fairs that nobody remembers.

I'll take Ricky and the Macarena all day long. They got Stanley Cups.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Yeah that's the hope but after the Oilers decided to bridge him, I think he'll use this leverage to squeeze every dollar out of them. Not to mention that the drop off from Nurse to the #2 Dman is absolutely massive so he knows that he has them completely by the balls. I really like Nurse but he's not even close to a $9M player IMO.
If you check the history of the Nurse thread, he was barely a top 4 d and had zero hockey IQ. When he was drafted everyone here cried about not getting risto. Now we have to pay 9mill for this bum? What happened?

I still remembered how fans trashed nurse just 3 years ago saying we need to dump him while we still can.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
You're right both goalies are winners just like Ricky Martin and Macarena.

Or we can continue with that one band that's been around forever still rocking the local fairs that nobody remembers.

I'll take Ricky and the Macarena all day long. They got Stanley Cups.
Good. Time to call up skinner for the playoffs.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If you check the history of the Nurse thread, he was barely a top 4 d and had zero hockey IQ. When he was drafted everyone here cried about not getting risto. Now we have to pay 9mill for this bum? What happened?

I still remembered how fans trashed nurse just 3 years ago saying we need to dump him while we still can.

Not all of us... some of us wanted to lock him up for 8 years at $5-$5.5 million before they bridged him... lesson learned the hard way for the team.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The most important positions on the ice are still problems: defence and goaltending.

Not sure how defence is still a problem unless you operate under the assumption that Keith cannot play hockey anymore.
He played 22min a nite and wasn't getting beat b/c he can't skate. It was mental, even Hawks fans have acknowledged that, so unless he has early Alzheimer's, I don't think his age is the problem, especially in a sheltered role

Just before the FA everyone was ripping Holland cuz they doubt and were proven wrong. I'll take his word that they did a TON of due diligence on Keith calling around the league before they acquired him

Keith and Ceci in is as good as Larsson out

We also have Stalock who was playing pretty damn good before he got covid

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Dubas sewered that franchise so bad with being a terrible negotiator. He had no problem getting taken to the cleaners by Matthews and Marner (Lou Lamoriello would have saved $4 or $5 million on those two) but then decides getting two free picks for a player he is going to lose to a team in the other conference is the time to take a hard stance. That's like George Costanza holding out for less money.

The Leafs only had three picks in this year's draft and currently have just two next year (with a condition on another). I doubt there's another GM who would have played hardball like that. Even Pistol Pete would have made the trade.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Dubas sewered that franchise so bad with being a terrible negotiator. He had no problem getting taken to the cleaners by Matthews and Marner (Lou Lamoriello would have saved $4 or $5 million on those two) but then decides getting two free picks for a player he is going to lose to a team in the other conference is the time to take a hard stance. That's like George Costanza holding out for less money.

The Leafs only had three picks in this year's draft and currently have just two next year (with a condition on another). I doubt there's another GM who would have played hardball like that. Even Pistol Pete would have made the trade.

I think the Matthews number is fine. What is insane is that they only locked him up for 5 years. Drafted a year after McDavid and he's going to be a UFA 2 years earlier.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the Matthews number is fine. What is insane is that they only locked him up for 5 years. Drafted a year after McDavid and he's going to be a UFA 2 years earlier.

That's why the # is not fine IMO. They gave him UFA $ for only buying 1 UFA season IIRC.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
????
Werenski had more points in his rookie year than Nurse ever has. Offensively he was better then Nurse is now at 20 and has continued to be that. His defensive game is also as good and the metrics back that up.

I like Nurse but I'd take Werenski all day every day

Heiskanen is also better than Nurse and signed for less than 9 mill.

Hamilton is better than Nurse and signed to the highest bidder for 9 mill.

Nurse for his ability should be 7.5...8 at the highest
Myers had more points in his rookie year than Nurse ever had and won a calder Myers > Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad