Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | After an Eventful 1st Day of Free Agency, Anything Left in the Bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jesus that Werenski contract just raised Nurses payday to a number that starts with a 9

Absolutely brutal. Columbus couldn’t afford to see another star walk out the door so they literally offered to pay him whatever he wanted.
How? Nurse is worse than Werensmi and Werenski is 2 years younger. Nurse became a #1 d at 26, Werenski has been for a few years already and is still improving. Hamilton is better than Nurse too imo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
At this point not sure the Oilers have much choice but go go with Smith and Koskinen. Theres not much to choose from out there. Lots of lateral moves. Could go into season and try and trade at deadline. Koskinens contract will be easy to get rid of at that point. Extremely risky though, season can get out of hand fast with suspect goaltending.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How? Nurse is worse than Werensmi and Werenski is 2 years younger. Nurse became a #1 d at 26, Werenski has been for a few years already and is still improving. Hamilton is better than Nurse too imo
I don’t know if Werenski is that much better if at all than Nurse. Then both should have gotten an 8x8 deal

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At this point not sure the Oilers have much choice but go go with Smith and Koskinen. Theres not much to choose from out there. Lots of lateral moves. Could go into season and try and trade at deadline. Koskinens contract will be easy to get rid of at that point. Extremely risky though, season can get out of hand fast with suspect goaltending.
Yeh this is where’s it headed. The costs to get established proven and consistent goalies were high anyways and not much was available. The other goalies we missed on are also just hopefuls to rebound, just like Kosko. Goalies are voodoo. Hope for a bounce back from Kosko at this point and if everything falls apart… we’ll still have our 1st to trade for an emergency move.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t know if Werenski is that much better if at all than Nurse. Then both should have gotten an 8x8 deal
????
Werenski had more points in his rookie year than Nurse ever has. Offensively he was better then Nurse is now at 20 and has continued to be that. His defensive game is also as good and the metrics back that up.

I like Nurse but I'd take Werenski all day every day

Heiskanen is also better than Nurse and signed for less than 9 mill.

Hamilton is better than Nurse and signed to the highest bidder for 9 mill.

Nurse for his ability should be 7.5...8 at the highest

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeh this is where’s it headed. The costs to get established proven and consistent goalies were high anyways and not much was available. The other goalies we missed on are also just hopefuls to rebound, just like Kosko. Goalies are voodoo. Hope for a bounce back from Kosko at this point and if everything falls apart… we’ll still have our 1st to trade for an emergency move.
The weird thing though is...usually teams who win the cup or go deep...have goalies drafted by them. Tim Thomas is the last goalie to win a cup and not be drafted by the team. Going big for a goalie doesn't win you the cup.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'd rather sign him up this summer
Probably the right thing to do. With ESPN and TNT incoming, I could see a lot of hype being built up for the NHLs rich and prosperous new future. We still have flat cap somewhat in effect this year, but these other contracts are just unfriendly comps for us. All said, yeh probably this year and not next .

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
????
Werenski had more points in his rookie year than Nurse ever has. Offensively he was better then Nurse is now at 20 and has continued to be that. His defensive game is also as good and the metrics back that up.

The season Nurse just had mirrors Werenskis best season. Sure Werenski has been doing it longer but obviously Nurse and his agent will be pointing to this latest season

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse will take a 10% hometown discount, $8.25M - $8.5M.
Nurse requesting a 4 year deal was a message to the team you risk losing all 3 of us in the next 4-5 years so let’s FN go here. In saying that I think he is privy to the cap situation and knows he can’t make more than Drai or the team will suffer if he doesn’t. These 3 guys in particular enjoy playing together and want to continue to do so.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The season Nurse just had mirrors Werenskis best season. Sure Werenski has been doing it longer but obviously Nurse and his agent will be pointing to this latest season
The team will point it out as an outlier and with him and Barrie being attached at the hip, and Barrie being a known offensive beast, it'll knock him a bit. Nurse isn't close to Werenski at the same age and Werenski is still better now. A closer comparable is Hamilton who is better and got 9. Don't see how Nurse comes close.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting. Makes the pass on Wallstedt look kinda dumb.
Yes and no. This teams window to win is the next 4 years and Wallstedt with even the most optimistic view wouldn't be starter ready for 5 years.
If Konovalov, Rodrigue or Konovalov ain't legit starter material then we done imho

But yeah, I still would of drafted the potential starter...which I think was the plan if Cossa fell.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yes and no. This teams window to win is the next 4 years and Wallstedt with even the most optimistic view wouldn't be starter ready for 5 years.
If Konovalov, Rodrigue or Konovalov ain't legit starter material then we done imho

But yeah, I still would of drafted the potential starter...which I think was the plan if Cossa fell.
Watching Stevie Y build that Red Wings team, it’s exactly how it should be done. D and Goalie, keep drafting until you got that locked in. Then he’ll add forwards. We are way too far into the McDavid era to change course, so we just gotta hope to be that Tim Thomas era Bruins. Hey wasn’t he old like Smith?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
????

Good luck arguing that with his agent lol. If Nurse is signed this season there is no way he's taking a penny under $8.5M. Nor should he. He just had a vastly superior season to Werenski, Heiskanen and Jones and they all signed for huge dollars.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Watching Stevie Y build that Red Wings team, it’s exactly how it should be done. D and Goalie, keep drafting until you got that locked in. Then he’ll add forwards. We are way too far into the McDavid era to change course, so we just gotta hope to be that Tim Thomas era Bruins. Hey wasn’t he old like Smith?
Which means that we would have had to draft a goalie and Dmen before drafting Connor. Instead it was a steady stream of forwards :(

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Which means that we would have had to draft a goalie and Dmen before drafting Connor. Instead it was a steady stream of forwards :(
Yeh we did a reverse rebuild lol. And are still working at it as D and goalie are still question marks. Either way, still have McD and Drai. We could be the outlier. Just need some things to go our way these next few years.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Yeh we did a reverse rebuild lol. And are still working at it as D and goalie are still question marks. Either way, still have McD and Drai. We could be the outlier. Just need some things to go our way these next few years.

We also have Nurse who’s solidified himself as elite. Pittsburgh is the model we should be following. Only difference is we don’t have a Fleury like they did and that’s obviously a huge hole to fill.

But the rest? Especially during their first run, that was all vets surrounding their main star guys. Not like Tampa where it was drafted and developed talent throughout the whole lineup. Second and third run they had drafted some talent but that was 10 years into Crosby and Malkin’s career.

That’s why Holland needs to go all in on getting us a goalie that is a legit number 1. If Elvis was/is available, Holland should pay a premium to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad