Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay elected to 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame class

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I don't see much talk about Rowdy Tellez. What's the expectation for him this year? Is he likely to spend any time with the Jays?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see much talk about Rowdy Tellez. What's the expectation for him this year? Is he likely to spend any time with the Jays?

Probably in Buffalo until one of Smoak or Morales gets traded or hurt or something.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
As was I but Biggio is one of those high level minor players that will make the majors and it will likely be this season. No ifs ands or buts with him making it to the majors.

Add in his versatility, power and walks to go with his bloodlines. It hard not to like him and see a 2 WAR floor.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think some people, rightfully so will be hesitant to rate a nothing prospect in the top 100 after one solid year. On the other hand, Biggio was 23 in AA and always had an excellent walk rate. A tweak in his swing and now he has the power. It wasn't like he produced good numbers in low A ball.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As was I but Biggio is one of those high level minor players that will make the majors and it will likely be this season. No ifs ands or buts with him making it to the majors.

Add in his versatility, power and walks to go with his bloodlines. It hard not to like him and see a 2 WAR floor.

Add in the strikeout issues and defensive questionmarks and it's easy to see why his floor is significantly lower than 2 WAR.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Add in the strikeout issues and defensive questionmarks and it's easy to see why his floor is significantly lower than 2 WAR.

Strikeout issues aren't too big of a deal because Biggio walks a lot. He had a 17.8% BB rate. Would be different if he had the same strikeout rate and single digit walk rate.

Will be interesting to see where he plays this year. I didn't hear much how well he played in the outfield in the AFL.

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Strikeout issues aren't too big of a deal because Biggio walks a lot. He had a 17.8% BB rate. Would be different if he had the same strikeout rate and single digit walk rate.

Will be interesting to see where he plays this year. I didn't hear much how well he played in the outfield in the AFL.

The strikeouts could be an issue because walk rates tend to drop a lot at the major league level and there's still at least a decent chance the power outburst was at least partially an anomaly. Between that and his questionable defensive value, I think his floor is much, much lower than 2 WAR.

(Of course, there's obviously the chance that he maintains an excellent walk rate, the power sticks, and he ends up providing decent defensive value at 2B/OF... the ceiling is high, for sure, given the kind of season he just had.)

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
Vladdy's weight is a big concern for me, just saw pics of him he's gotta be close to 280...not gonna be able to do anymore than DH at this rate.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Vladdy's weight is a big concern for me, just saw pics of him he's gotta be close to 280...not gonna be able to do anymore than DH at this rate.

as someone who used to weigh 280 pounds back in the day, i can assure you hes about, at worst, 230. Also, thats what training camp is for. the trainers and shit will take care of him and have him down to 210-215 range.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
as someone who used to weigh 280 pounds back in the day, i can assure you hes about, at worst, 230. Also, thats what training camp is for. the trainers and **** will take care of him and have him down to 210-215 range.
His Coaches were asked last season what he weighed and they said he was in the 240-250 range. And he for sure looks bigger here.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The strikeouts could be an issue because walk rates tend to drop a lot at the major league level and there's still at least a decent chance the power outburst was at least partially an anomaly. Between that and his questionable defensive value, I think his floor is much, much lower than 2 WAR.

(Of course, there's obviously the chance that he maintains an excellent walk rate, the power sticks, and he ends up providing decent defensive value at 2B/OF... the ceiling is high, for sure, given the kind of season he just had.)
I agree with you that his floor is much lower than a two WAR player. He's always had a great walk rate so I would be shocked if he lost that.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You don't actually think he's gonna be able to play 3rd well carrying that much weight do you?
lol

Sandoval, Uribe, to a lesser extent Beltre. Thicc boys can play 3rd. The only issue I see is the lack of experience at the position (considering he was an OFer to start).

Reactions: stickty111

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I agree with you that his floor is much lower than a two WAR player. He's always had a great walk rate so I would be shocked if he lost that.

My biggest concern is that if the 2018 power doesn't stick, the walk rate won't matter all that much because pitchers will just pound the strikezone since he won't be a threat on contact. That's why I didn't see him as much of a prospect before the power showed up - all he had to offer was a bunch of walks, and that's great when you're facing A-ball pitchers who struggle to throw strikes on the best of days, but it tends not to carry over to the majors very well.

Having said that, I don't think that will be the case because the power followed a demonstrable change in approach, so it should stick around at lest to some extent, but that risk is still very much there.

Reactions: canucksfan

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Sandoval, Uribe, to a lesser extent Beltre. Thicc boys can play 3rd. The only issue I see is the lack of experience at the position (considering he was an OFer to start).

Yeah, let's all keep in mind that this guy was in his mid-30s and still an elite defender at 3B (not just "good enough to stay at the position" but among the best in the league):

Juan%252BUribe%252BWorld%252BSeries%252BKansas%252BCity%252BRoyals%252BW0lYw3_Os3ql.jpg

Reactions: Eyedea

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I'm going to make a bold prediction just based on my gut feeling, but I think Tellez will do better in the majors than he has in the minor leagues. He's an atypical sort of slugger in that he doesn't really swing hard, and focuses more on making contact. The more loosely wound major league baseball rewards players who can make contact, since they carry further (look at the small contact hitters having power surges throughout the league: Albies, etc.)

Only once in his minor league career has Tellez had a strikeout rate over 19% and that was only over a 12 game sample. His k rate in AAA was 16.7%! That's unheard of for a hitter with his profile. I think with his ability to make contact in conjunction with the new baseballs we'll see more power from him in the majors than we've seen in the minors (especially at hitter friendly Rogers).

Reactions: Anthrax442

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad