Series Discussion Round Two: Dallas Stars vs. Colorado Avalanche | STARS WIN 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I'm still more optimistic now then I was coming into this series. Landeskog played a total of 16 seconds after going down and they still got a third stringer between the pipes. Colorado is banged up everywhere and quite vulnerable, no excuses for game 7.
All of this is true, but look at what happened the last 2 games. No excuses for the effort level put in. I am finding it hard to believe game 7 will be any different.

Reactions: Kcb12345

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Any chance Bones makes changes to the lineup? I mean something has to be changed. That’s two straight games we’ve look terrible. Keeping the same lines together and expecting different results isn’t smart thing. We need something to spark this group. I wish we had a big body that can skate and hit like O’Connor for them that we can throw in the lineup for someone like Perry who is quite useless out there.

I fully expect us to lose tomorrow, but I don’t want it to be in pathetic lackadaisical fashion. You would think this group knows it could be the last chance for Bones to get a cup and he’s been coaching in the league since 1988 and show maybe a little bit of effort for him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Any chance Bones makes changes to the lineup? I mean something has to be changed. That’s two straight games we’ve look terrible. Keeping the same lines together and expecting different results isn’t smart thing. We need something to spark this group. I wish we had a big body that can skate and hit like O’Connor for them that we can throw in the lineup for someone like Perry who is quite useless out there.

I fully expect us to lose tomorrow, but I don’t want it to be in pathetic lackadaisical fashion. You would think this group knows it could be the last chance for Bones to get a cup and he’s been coaching in the league since 1988 and show maybe a little bit of effort for him.
He's got no chance at a cup this year win or lose tomorrow.
Dallas isn't getting past Vegas without bishop standing on his head. And he hasn't played a full game in weeks, that's just not going to happen.
Khudobin isn't capable of that level of play

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The Stars have lost their past three Game 7s. The last win came in 2000 when they beat the Avalanche to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. To me, speaks of the country club culture (to a degree, nothing is ever black and white in sports)

Will they put up a fight, like they did last year, or go down easy as in 2016? Not optimistic that they will do well.

What on God's green earth were they thinking last night, flipping nearly every puck out of the zone, with no attempt to chase it, just sitting back for the next Avs onslaught? Dump and chase on a power play? Just like STL last year, they were trying to win 0-0, even though they were behind last night. How on earth can they not see that and change? Or, were the Avs just that good on the forecheck? (Got to give them some credit, too)

In the end, despite the interesting details, this, like most things, will go the way it was supposed to, with the Avs, a cup favorite dispatching a team that is top 8 in the NHL at best. Some of those details will be long remembered and have ramifications, that's for sure, but this is really going about how most people felt it would.

The last three games have been 5 goals, 3 goals, 1 goal for. If the trend continues, they will score -2 goals tomorrow night somehow, LOL>

Reactions: Elysian

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
He's got no chance at a cup this year win or lose tomorrow.
Dallas isn't getting past Vegas without bishop standing on his head. And he hasn't played a full game in weeks, that's just not going to happen.
Khudobin isn't capable of that level of play

Yes I know Dallas doesn’t have a chance for a cup, but the players in the room shouldn’t be thinking that. But maybe they are cause it looks like it with their effort out there.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The Stars have lost their past three Game 7s. The last win came in 2000 when they beat the Avalanche to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. To me, speaks of the country club culture (to a degree, nothing is ever black and white in sports)

Will they put up a fight, like they did last year, or go down easy as in 2016? Not optimistic that they will do well.

What on God's green earth were they thinking last night, flipping nearly every puck out of the zone, with no attempt to chase it, just sitting back for the next Avs onslaught? Dump and chase on a power play? Just like STL last year, they were trying to win 0-0, even though they were behind last night. How on earth can they not see that and change? Or, were the Avs just that good on the forecheck? (Got to give them some credit, too)

In the end, despite the interesting details, this, like most things, will go the way it was supposed to, with the Avs, a cup favorite dispatching a team that is top 8 in the NHL at best. Some of those details will be long remembered and have ramifications, that's for sure, but this is really going about how most people felt it would.

The last three games have been 5 goals, 3 goals, 1 goal for. If the trend continues, they will score -2 goals tomorrow night somehow, LOL>
It shouldn't one of those was Lehtonen shitting the bed, without Seguin playing with Eakin playing as a #1 center, another with the blues somehow never committing a penalty through 5 periods (much like last night). The other was over a decade ago

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, understood what happens in the past has no bearing on the right now. Except, it does appear doubts have crept in, which might be a thing.

As I posted on the main board, Stars should send memos to the Avs that another walk out for BLM is happening tomorrow so they have the ice to themselves. I still question whether they would get a shot on goal......

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's not gonna happen but I'd start Oettinger. If you put in Khudobin, you know that with the questionable support in front of him, you're gonna have to score 4 or more goals. Khudobin gave up 3 or more goals in 4 of 5 games he started this series. He also gave up a soft goal when taking over for Bishop in game 5.
Khudobin wasn't brutal in any of the games but he also wasn't good enough. Games 1 and 2 were good but since it sure looks like he's tired and the Avs solved him. I'm just not sure if the team could provide the goal support needed in order to start Khudobin. That would probably require some help from Hutchinson. It could very well happen but to hope for others mistakes would be just as risky as to change goalies. And unexpectedly facing a bigger, unknown goalie might make the Avs even more nervous than Oettinger himself would be. With Khudobin they're pretty confident by now and they know exactly what to do and where to go.

It's just a shame they haven't played Oettinger earlier. Bowness isn't gonna have the balls to throw a rookie with 0 nhl games into a game 7.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

This is where Bowness’s deficiencies as head coach stand out.

I get game five was a lost cause early on when the team started awful and Bishop was too rusty to make a save.

But game six was never out of hand. The Stars were getting nothing out of their forward group, but the score was close. Unfortunately, Bowness did nothing to try to find a different mix. He kept rolling the same unsuccessful lines.

Reactions: Elysian

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
The injuries are a real thing the rest get out of here. You don’t think constantly being on the PK affects the team.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Avs fan coming in peace. Was looking to see if there was any indication if Bishop starts game 7. Just want to apologize for @letsgoavs1921. Haven't seen him posting on our boards much... if ever. No idea why he is trolling on your board. Account created in 2006 with only 400 posts is impressive. Maybe a burner for someone else.

Either way sorry about that.
I believe Bowness already said Bishop is unfit to play game seven, so your Avs will not be spotted four goals to start the game.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I believe Bowness already said Bishop is unfit to play game seven, so your Avs will not be spotted four goals to start the game.
Fair enough. I want Dobby anyways. Know what were getting with him at least. I still have Bishop PTSD from his years of stonewalling the Avs despite his bad period in game 5.

Good luck in game 7. Anything can happen.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
28 is too young to fall off a cliff in terms of offensive production but Seguin's f***ing doing it.
There's got to be something else to it. This whole season has been a weird/anomaly for him.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Whoa! What happened to the Stars the past two games?! Are they "Starsing" again? (I've had a lot keeping me busy on the home-front, so haven't been able to follow and/or dedicate the emotional energy to it.)

Colorado is a dangerous team to let back in the series like that. Isn't it interesting how momentum works in a playoff series? I guess the same goes for the NYI and PHI series, as well. Wow, gotta love the Stanley Cup Playoff(s)!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And yet, many examples of their being no momentum from game to game, too. Stars best hope, and really, they should come out the more motivated team (by a smidge) and at least play angry and dedicated after their poor play the last two games.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man f*** winning the Cup I just wanna advance past the 2nd round again at this point

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
28 is too young to fall off a cliff in terms of offensive production but Seguin's f***ing doing it.
When a guy goes from being one of the faster players in the league to just a tick above average something has happened. He still has a nice one timer, but the days of him generating offense with his electric speed seem to be long gone. Sadly, for this playoff run, his shot isn't even there any more.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I wonder if Seguin’s Achilles injury was worse than reported. Either that or Benn was the reason he was a better player. I hope not.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I wonder if Seguin’s Achilles injury was worse than reported. Either that or Benn was the reason he was a better player. I hope not.
He quite literally had 80p last year.
Benn sucked last year just as much as he does this year, the only difference was that Radulov also fell off a cliff this year.
Benn didn't make Seguin better but Seguin is not the type of player that can do everything himself, with how bad those 2 and let's be real the rest of the forwards are, he has to be but that's not him especially without his speed.

Seguin hasn't been good in the PO by any stretch but is very he bounces back next season in a less restrictive system

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
When a guy goes from being one of the faster players in the league to just a tick above average something has happened. He still has a nice one timer, but the days of him generating offense with his electric speed seem to be long gone. Sadly, for this playoff run, his shot isn't even there any more.
He's probably the teams worst player at generating offense in these playoffs - excluding when he's spoonfed one timers on the powerplay and he still only has 2 secondary assists to show for it on the PP.

Reactions: Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He's probably the teams worst player at generating offense in these playoffs - excluding when he's spoon fed one timers on the powerplay and he still only has 2 secondary assists to show for it on the PP.

It does seem Bones, and maybe even Monty, seemed to NOT want to use Seguin, Guri, etc. to their strengths. I mean, what's up with that. In fact, I think I recall mid season where he said he was putting Seguin back along the half wall and he had to prove he belonged there, or something to that effect. I get making the point that you have to be a 2 way player, but the number of times Stars coaches go out of their way to limit scoring (seemingly) is mind numbing. Take last night's 3rd period...down by 2 and instructed to flip it out of the zone and regroup for the Avs next onslaught. Who turtles when they are behind? Even pulling the goalie, the team looked uninterested in shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad