Series Discussion Round Two: Dallas Stars vs. Colorado Avalanche | STARS WIN 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Dobby hasn’t looked great. That first goal drove me nuts and the 2nd to Makar he was literally sitting on the goal line. I’m not expecting clutch performance out of him unfortunately, it seems Avs have the book on him pretty good now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Stars gotta mix that Trio up in Game 7. I wouldn’t mind putting Hintz between Benn and Seguin to try and get them going.

Yeah, a game 7 is the right time to experiment? They have had chemistry before, I think they can get it back fastest together than trying to learn new line mates, but everyone can have their own opinion. You aren't the first to suggest line blending.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Just makes the whole thing about Bishop playing even worse. He clearly wasn't even close to ready

Either Dobby also has a minor injury, or really looked tired in practice before game 5, who knows. Bones did say back to backs were different than riding a hot goaltender, so it seems to me like he had his mind made up that Dobby B2B wasn't going to happen (although it 2/3+ did anyway.) I believe its been stated that Bones weakness as a coach is adjusting on the fly, not sure where I heard that. He did do a nice job in the layoff of getting D men activated for creating more goals, at least for a while.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Yeah, a game 7 is the right time to experiment? They have had chemistry before, I think they can get it back fastest together than trying to learn new line mates, but everyone can have their own opinion. You aren't the first to suggest line blending.

Stars did a lot of line blending in the regular season and I’m pretty sure Hintz has played between them before. These guys have played together for awhile I don’t think learning new line mates is a concern. This team needs a spark and putting the same lineup that has laid an egg and looked horrendously flat and expecting different results doesn’t sound like a winning plan to me.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
It does seem Bones, and maybe even Monty, seemed to NOT want to use Seguin, Guri, etc. to their strengths. I mean, what's up with that. In fact, I think I recall mid season where he said he was putting Seguin back along the half wall and he had to prove he belonged there, or something to that effect. I get making the point that you have to be a 2 way player, but the number of times Stars coaches go out of their way to limit scoring (seemingly) is mind numbing. Take last night's 3rd period...down by 2 and instructed to flip it out of the zone and regroup for the Avs next onslaught. Who turtles when they are behind? Even pulling the goalie, the team looked uninterested in shooting.
This is why I want them to sign a pure shooter. I want someone that is not interested in passing. Too many guys on this team act like they don’t want to shoot

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Even if he doesn’t want to blend things up to start the game, I hope he has something in mind if he sees another period piss away with nothing generated offensively by the forwards.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Either Dobby also has a minor injury, or really looked tired in practice before game 5, who knows. Bones did say back to backs were different than riding a hot goaltender, so it seems to me like he had his mind made up that Dobby B2B wasn't going to happen (although it 2/3+ did anyway.) I believe its been stated that Bones weakness as a coach is adjusting on the fly, not sure where I heard that. He did do a nice job in the layoff of getting D men activated for creating more goals, at least for a while.

He looked tired all series long and hasn't been sharp since game 2. He's a backup goalie and he's small and that makes it even worse when you're not sharp. Just look at Binnington. Once you're figured out, it gets really bad if you're small. Khudobin let in at least 3 goals 4 out of 5 games he started this series and gave up a weak goal when jumping in for Bishop, too.

Bowness made a mistake in game 5. The plan to rest Khudobin was good but if you don't wanna play a goalie, then don't dress him. They should have started Oettinger or, at the very least, put him in after that first period. Game 5 was lost anyway...not even Price could have won it. But it would have been important to not only find out where Bishop is at, but to also see what Oettinger can do. Now you have to use Khudobin in game 7 just because Oettinger never saw NHL action. With Khudobin in net, you know you have to score at least 4 goals to advance. Quite the task after the last games.

Stars need a spark. A change of momentum. A different look. Something the Avs need to adjust to. Johns could provide it but he probably won't be ready. The other scratches are most likely not good enough to provide that spark and I doubt simple line changes would do. So the easiest way would have been to use a bigger goaltender. A goaltender the Avs know nothing about, a goaltender they're not used to face at all. Sadly, Bowness didn't have the balls to play Oettinger in game 5 and he doesn't have the balls to play him now.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Id go same line up. Bringing in anyone else would risk them being cold. That ship has passed.

Id go same fwd lines too. They were poor in Game 5, but i would challenge Benn-Seguin-Radulov to respond and get us a goal. They might not be our match winner but i think they can respond well enough to find 1 goal, i agree with what another poster said that if we are going to have someone stand up and be the match winner it will be Pavelski, Gurianov or maybe Hintz, not the top line. But if Benn-Seguin-Radulov can score 1 goal early, the entire narrative will change and everyone will follow.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Id go same line up. Bringing in anyone else would risk them being cold. That ship has passed.

Id go same fwd lines too. They were poor in Game 5, but i would challenge Benn-Seguin-Radulov to respond and get us a goal. They might not be our match winner but i think they can respond well enough to find 1 goal, i agree with what another poster said that if we are going to have someone stand up and be the match winner it will be Pavelski, Gurianov or maybe Hintz, not the top line. But if Benn-Seguin-Radulov can score 1 goal early, the entire narrative will change and everyone will follow.
Adding hintz with Pavelski and Gurianov has been something I have been asking all playoffs. Why keep Janmark there? Move him down. Let the speed of Hintz and Gurianov cause issues. Janmark has speed but that is it. He can’t do crap with the puck. Can’t shoot or pass. Plays great defense tho.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
He looked tired all series long and hasn't been sharp since game 2. He's a backup goalie and he's small and that makes it even worse when you're not sharp. Just look at Binnington. Once you're figured out, it gets really bad if you're small. Khudobin let in at least 3 goals 4 out of 5 games he started this series and gave up a weak goal when jumping in for Bishop, too.

Bowness made a mistake in game 5. The plan to rest Khudobin was good but if you don't wanna play a goalie, then don't dress him. They should have started Oettinger or, at the very least, put him in after that first period. Game 5 was lost anyway...not even Price could have won it. But it would have been important to not only find out where Bishop is at, but to also see what Oettinger can do. Now you have to use Khudobin in game 7 just because Oettinger never saw NHL action. With Khudobin in net, you know you have to score at least 4 goals to advance. Quite the task after the last games.

Stars need a spark. A change of momentum. A different look. Something the Avs need to adjust to. Johns could provide it but he probably won't be ready. The other scratches are most likely not good enough to provide that spark and I doubt simple line changes would do. So the easiest way would have been to use a bigger goaltender. A goaltender the Avs know nothing about, a goaltender they're not used to face at all. Sadly, Bowness didn't have the balls to play Oettinger in game 5 and he doesn't have the balls to play him now.
I would not play him either. Oettinger has a bright future but that is in the future.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Even if he doesn’t want to blend things up to start the game, I hope he has something in mind if he sees another period piss away with nothing generated offensively by the forwards.
This is where I miss Montgomery. He loved to change lines. Bowness won’t change anything.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I would not play him either. Oettinger has a bright future but that is in the future.

They should have played him to find out. The way the team played the last two games, Khudobin isn't gonna do. A better goaltender could help. Again, with Khudobin in net, you won't be able to win this game 2-1 or 3-2. You're gonna have to create some serious offense or hope for Hutchinson to let in weak ones. Right now, the Avs are very confident about facing Khudobin. Make no mistake.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don't have a problem with Bowness not changing the lines every single period the way Monty did. These lines should work, but I'd probably swap Hintz and Janmark as others have mentioned but that's about it. Put Benn and Seguin or Radulov anywhere else and they'll be even worse than before as history as shown

Reactions: Hinterland

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Dobby was neither tired nor injured. They wanted to see if Bishop can play (Stupid, I know). I would not put any of the goals in game 6 on him.

Game 7 time: 16:00 Est if Vancouver wins, 20:00 EST if Vancouver loses

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Dobby was neither tired nor injured. They wanted to see if Bishop can play (Stupid, I know). I would not put any of the goals in game 6 on him.

Game 7 time: 16:00 Est if Vancouver wins, 20:00 EST if Vancouver loses

in that case ... Go Knights

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not too much solace, but at least Dallas is only one of three teams to blow a 3-1 series lead.

Have to come out strong and stay on the gas. Is it too hard to ask for one complete game in the latter half of this series?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Not too much solace, but at least Dallas is only one of three teams to blow a 3-1 series lead.

Have to come out strong and stay on the gas. Is it too hard to ask for one complete game in the latter half of this series?
Get the puck, skate with the puck, draw some power plays. Don’t take penalties.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I kind of wrote the Stars off in the first round tbh so anything here is extra hockey and blowing the lead wouldn't bother me much. The Bishop start was a risk but would have looked great if it worked. If they can't wing game 7 it would be disappointing but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad