GDT: Round Dos, Game Uno: Blues @ Avalanche (9:30pm ET / 7:30pm MT)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The bottom 6 doesn't really have to be great as long as they can just play even and not hurt the team defensively. Tampa no longer has great bottom 6 but they're making it work.

Hagel-Colton-Paul
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

That's not really great but Tampa makes it work

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The bottom 6 doesn't really have to be great as long as they can just play even and not hurt the team defensively. Tampa no longer has great bottom 6 but they're making it work.

Hagel-Colton-Paul
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

It's better than what we have.

Put this Avs bottom six on a team without a dominant puck moving Dcore and watch them look like ass.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Hagel-Colton-Paul
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

That’s a great bottom 6. Their 4th line had two goals in game 1 against FLA, and their 3rd line carried them in an elimination game in the first round.

Their bottom six is significantly better then ours.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Hagel-Colton-Paul
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

I think that's pretty darn good...possibly great...

Hagel and Perry both scored 40+ points, and Colton scored 22 goals. Paul is a defensive wizard and broke out offensively (32 points). The worst player is probably Maroon, but he still scored 27 points. And those six guys have combined for 13 goals/24 points in the playoffs so far, nearly keeping pace with Tampa's top-6 forwards (11G, 29P).

I like the Avs bottom-6 though. The pieces themselves aren't great, but the sum of the parts are pretty good because there's so much depth. O'Connor (24 points) and Newhook (33 points) both had fine seasons, but are chilling in the press box because everyone else is healthy. Last year the replacements would've been Sampo Ranta and the corpse of Carl Soderberg.:blush:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
That’s a great bottom 6. Their 4th line had two goals in game 1 against FLA, and their 3rd line carried them in an elimination game in the first round.

Their bottom six is significantly better then ours.
I’m not going to argue whether their bottom 6 is better or not because it’s an argument that can’t really be won or proven, but your reasoning doesn’t make sense to me.

Our bottom 6 (Compher and Burakovsky) were on the ice for 4 of our 5 goals in game 4 Nashville.
Our 4th line was on the ice for game 2 OT winner vs Nashville.
Our 4th liner (Cogliano) scored a SHG in game 1 of Nashville.
Our 3rd line (well, NAK and Compher) was on the ice for our 2nd goal against St Louis.

So again, not arguing who’s better. But trying to argue their current contributions doesn’t seem like the greatest way seeing as how the AVS bottom 6 has already made many contributions in just 5 games.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
Wait a minute though, I thought our third line was going to get crushed by the Blues' depth? What's going on?

I was one of the posters that thought our 3rd line would struggle against the Blues. I was pleasantly surprised that didn't happen. The Blues struggled against ours. Having Burakovsky be able to skate with the puck really helps on the defence side of things.

My eye test says that the 4th line played good again. They were hemmed in their end for one shift against the Tarsenko line, but nothing came of it. In the 1st period, they did what they do: wear out the defencemen along the boards in the O zone. They didn't play much after the Blues went up 1-0 and I was surprised they got a shift in OT. But no cause for concern here, despite what the Corsi might say.

Reactions: shadow1

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm not saying Bolts bottom 6 isn't good, I said it's not great but it's good and it has to be good for them because they haven't really gotten too much production out of their top guys so far in the playoffs and Point is injured. It's almost by necessity that their bottom 6 has to carry them and it has so far.

Edit: I guess out of their top guys only Kucherov has stood out so far

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Hagel-Colton-Paul
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Its not great like it had been the last 2 years. Still really good. Better than ours. Colton is another gem these assholes drafted in the 4th round.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I honestly want to know what they see that other scouts from other teams dont see but specifically ours. How did they get Cirelli one pick after the Avs drafted Beaudin?
Right? Colorado’s gotten a little better, in that they’ve at least hit on some 2nd rounders with perceived value based on their return (Helleson for Manimal, Whatshisface for Lehkonen).

One such as myself could take the dangerous measure of assuming the Avs hit rate beyond round 1 should’ve been slightly higher in the past 13 years, simply out of sheer, blind squirrel-acorn dumb luck.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
It's better than what we have.

Put this Avs bottom six on a team without a dominant puck moving Dcore and watch them look like ass.
Ok. Let's actually take a look at the numbers instead of simply taking your word for it. Bottom six lineups as of game one of round two of the playoffs.

Tampa bottom six (points, CF%, xGF%):
Nick Paul - 14 in 21, 49.77%, 50.72%
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 20 in 80, 48.57%, 53.99%
Brandon Hagel - 7 in 22, 53.61%, 52.55%
Corey Perry - 40 in 82, 50.85%, 56.30%
Ross Colton - 39 in 79, 51.87%, 54.10%
Pat Maroon - 27 in 80, 51.25%, 54.16%

Colorado bottom six (points, CF%, xGF%):
JT Compher - 33 in 70, 48.41%, 48.51%
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 22 in 67, 49.57%, 50.17%
Darren Helm - 15 in 68, 49.50%, 46.28%
Nico Sturm - 3 in 21, 50.66%, 50.45%
Andrew Cogliano - 1 in 19, 49.64%, 50.43%
Andre Burakovsky - 61 in 80, 55.07%, 51.92%

Tampa total of 147 points in 364 games for a .40 ppg. Average CF% of 50.99%, average xGF% of 53.63.

Colorado total of 135 pints in 325 games for a .42 ppg (better than Tampa, lol). Average CF% of 50.48%, average xGF% of 49.62%.

Colorado actually has a better bottom six when it comes to ppg than the group Tampa is trotting out, albeit marginally so. Tampa is better in generating shots slightly and certainly generates the better quality shots. The fancy stats show the Lightning are better in possession; actual production on the ice shows Colorado is just as good.

I intentionally left off Newhook since he hasn't played in the playoffs to this point, but if you include him (and drop Cogliano for shits and giggles) Colorado's numbers go to 167 in 377 for a .44 ppg and an average CF% of 50.32% and an average xGF% of 49.41%...

The Avs can go toe-to-toe with Tampa's bottom six firepower and with Newhook sitting Bednar is actually playing a slightly better possession group. The Avs are slightly better with Cogliano in over LOC too.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Right? Colorado’s gotten a little better, in that they’ve at least hit on some 2nd rounders with perceived value based on their return (Helleson for Manimal, Whatshisface for Lehkonen).

One such as myself could take the dangerous measure of assuming the Avs hit rate beyond round 1 should’ve been slightly higher in the past 13 years, simply out of sheer, blind squirrel-acorn dumb luck.
@henchman24 would know the answer. He seems to know everything about Tampa and how they operate.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman24 would know the answer. He seems to know everything about Tampa and how they operate.

The trick is finding NHL skills while having correctable issues. I've stated the Point thing before where his ankle bend was terrible, but he was a phenomenal athlete with elite explosion. Tampa simply fixed his ankle bend to put him on the balls of his feet and extend his stride.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The trick is finding NHL skills while having correctable issues. I've stated the Point thing before where his ankle bend was terrible, but he was a phenomenal athlete with elite explosion. Tampa simply fixed his ankle bend to put him on the balls of his feet and extend his stride.
Do personality issues count? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad