GDT: Round Dos, Game Uno: Blues @ Avalanche (9:30pm ET / 7:30pm MT)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At 2:05 Makar is banging his stick begging for a pass from Bura but Bura keeps his head down and takes the mandatory full 4 seconds to unload a shot that goes 3 feet over the net.

He did this a few times to Byram in the first round too. It's been driving me nuts. If you want to look off Makar and Byram when they're calling for the puck fine, but then hit the damn net.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He received it fine its when he does that weird off balance shot he does that cause the problem. If he accepts that pass takes 1 second to look up and essentially get 3 feet off the ice its an easy a goal as you will get. EJ does a weird one legged fade away and he flubs the shot but thats just how hes always shot those.

He's actually right. EJ didn't handle the pass well. From clips I saw the Sportsnet broadcast might not have shown a good angle of it, but TNT did.

It came to him flat but he flipped it on its edge when he caught it, which slowed it down too much. Looked like he had his head up looking to shoot that's why he didn't see it had flipped on edge. If it had stayed flat, the puck would have been properly cradled on his blade, but he didn't see it. That's why he whiffed.

Tough moment for EJ, but outside of that I thought he played well. Lots of smart veteran puck management decisions to get pucks in deep and make good transition passes without risking turnovers, and some strong defensive plays.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As a goalie, it’s very easy to know which posts are shots that legitimately beat you and which shots you say to yourself ‘I would’ve had that if it was on net’.

Binnington was best clean on a majority if not all. A few millimeters more in and those are goals.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
RoR was injured back in the day by an errant stick or elbow

That was a shoulder injury when he raised his arms. Looked like he aggravated a previous rotator cuff injury or shoulder impingement to me. Wasn't even a big celebration either.

Reactions: Avsboy

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's actually right. EJ didn't handle the pass well. From clips I saw the Sportsnet broadcast might not have shown a good angle of it, but TNT did.

It came to him flat but he flipped it on its edge when he caught it, which slowed it down too much. Looked like he had his head up looking to shoot that's why he didn't see it had flipped on edge. If it had stayed flat, the puck would have been properly cradled on his blade, but he didn't see it. That's why he whiffed.

Tough moment for EJ, but outside of that I thought he played well. Lots of smart veteran puck management decisions to get pucks in deep and make good transition passes without risking turnovers, and some strong defensive plays.

Yes besides that flub I thought he played well. Cleaned up a few of Bo's mistakes. I dont blame him for the Kyrou goal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makar was the primary reason for both goals. The first one was a fluke so i'm not going to blame him for that. But his line change on the PK is what get depth players benched. He inadvertently blocked a shot earlier in the sequence and it seemed like it stung him a bit, but this is the playoffs - unless he's actually heading down into the hall he needs to suck it up to make the right play (aka staying on the ice).

Makar was the farthest away from the bench and needed to stay on the ice. Instead he chose to casually skate to the bench to be part of a wholesale line change which led to a goal.

It is an indication of how good our defense is this year, but there is no need to sugarcoat criticism on Makar's performance last night.

Yeah Cale had a very slow change like they had gotten the puck deep and St Louis was also changing, but they didn't get the puck deep, and none of the Blues changed. They just hung out at the blueline.

Then Sturm came running in like a chicken with its head cut off, skated in front of two Blues players to get to the puck carrier when EJ had a better angle to him, and took EJ completely out of the play in the process.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't know if this was posted

screenshot_20220517-215536_chrome-jpg.548592

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Regarding the PP.... I dont know why they dont just dump and chase more then they do.

If they set it up right, Mack could be hitting the blue line at full speed the same time Landy or Cale dump it in and Mack would win that race to the loose puck every time.

At least it would give them another option if the Blues(Or any team) are clogging the blue line hardcore. A soft dump into the boards outside of the trapezoid and Mack could win the race every time and get the puck moving along the boards.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What a game, utter domination. Blues needed 5 posts; a 50 saves by their goalie; and a soft-as-butter penalty call on Toews with 5 minutes left to even have a chance in the game.

The most telling aspect of the game was the difference in how fast the Avs Dmen pushed the play from the back end, with just a relentless pace. Conversely the Blues Dmen sought to slow things down behind their net as much as possible just to catch their collective breath.

The most dominant periods in the game were the 2nd period and OT which was largely due to the long change. The Blues Dmen simply can't match the Avs speed and get caught out repeatedly with the long change.

I had no idea he was mic'd last night

#WonTheTrade

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Regarding the PP.... I dont know why they dont just dump and chase more then they do.

If they set it up right, Mack could be hitting the blue line at full speed the same time Landy or Cale dump it in and Mack would win that race to the loose puck every time.

At least it would give them another option if the Blues(Or any team) are clogging the blue line hardcore. A soft dump into the boards outside of the trapezoid and Mack could win the race every time and get the puck moving along the boards.
Always wondered that when teams take away the drop pass on them. Adjust. Dump it in. Work to get it back you have an extra man.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was EJ who came in hard on the celebration and ROR hurt his shoulder LMFAO

I've watched that clip a bunch of times over the years. I don't see what EJ would have done. His stick didn't hit him and he didn't come in that hot. I think ROR just tweaked something he was already dealing with.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Doubt we want Mack racing to the end boards at full speed with a defender directly behind him. He'll get smoked if he doesn't pull the play off perfectly

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Doubt we want Mack racing to the end boards at full speed with a defender directly behind him. He'll get smoked if he doesn't pull the play off perfectly

Well that just isn't true at all.

Always wondered that when teams take away the drop pass on them. Adjust. Dump it in. Work to get it back you have an extra man.
Exactly. You have the extra man, dump it in, race the Dmen to the puck and go to work getting set up. We have the speed on the team that it should work pretty successfully if they actually used it

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3