Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 168: Olle Lycksell, C, Linkoping (SHL Jr.)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
yea i was even going to watch that game, i dont understand he has played good with the time he has given

There is certainly some disconnect between coach and management.

The J20 team played today... and they are fighting to try and be the best u-20 team in Sweden right now.

If they knew he would not see ice they would have surely sent him down for the day. They play again tomorrow... will be interesting to see if he goes and plays in J20 then.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I didn’t understand this pick at all. But clearly their Swedish scout knows what he’s doing. He may end up being nothing. But still looks like a great roll of the dice in round 6.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I didn’t understand this pick at all. But clearly their Swedish scout knows what he’s doing. He may end up being nothing. But still looks like a great roll of the dice in round 6.

I mean, his draft +1 has been brilliant so far. Way above what anyone could reasonably be expected.

He will be on the WJC team next year most likely and has been... just unbelievably impressive in the SHL for his age.

No real 'flaws' to his game either. Good skater, great shot, plays all three positions, PKs, good defensively.

His upside is probably 3rd line, but he is looking like a great sixth round pick.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I wonder if Lycksell has considered coming to North America. Maybe him playing in one of the junior leagues or the AHL might help with his development, especially if he's getting very little ice time over in Sweden. The whole spoonfeeding of ice time is a concept I'll never grasp. Players won't get better if you never play them or give them meaningless ice time in meaningless situations.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wonder if Lycksell has considered coming to North America. Maybe him playing in one of the junior leagues or the AHL might help with his development, especially if he's getting very little ice time over in Sweden. The whole spoonfeeding of ice time is a concept I'll never grasp. Players won't get better if you never play them or give them meaningless ice time in meaningless situations.

He is 18 and playing in the SHL. Next year he will be in a ~2nd line role most likely in the 3rd best league on earth. On merit he should be getting a few more minutes than he is, but it is not like this every game... he has seen ~12-15 minutes a night in the last few games. Just today he saw 7 mins.

I really trust SHL teams with player development. They have a great set-up... can send them down to J20 in a second, and also loan to Allsvenskan (like Lycksell was for a weekend the other month).

Unless next year turns into a Hägg situation with Modo I'd want Lycksell to stay there at least until the end of next year, probably the year after.

Seems Hextall is a big fan of the SHL and their development too given what he has said previously.

Reactions: whitstifier

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He is 18 and playing in the SHL. Next year he will be in a ~2nd line role most likely in the 3rd best league on earth. On merit he should be getting a few more minutes than he is, but it is not like this every game... he has seen ~12-15 minutes a night in the last few games. Just today he saw 7 mins.

I really trust SHL teams with player development. They have a great set-up... can send them down to J20 in a second, and also loan to Allsvenskan (like Lycksell was for a weekend the other month).

Unless next year turns into a Hägg situation with Modo I'd want Lycksell to stay there at least until the end of next year, probably the year after.

Seems Hextall is a big fan of the SHL and their development too given what he has said previously.

I'm glad you're knowledgeable about the SEL. Your insight is impeccable!!!!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Thanks for all the info you provide us North Americans appleyard.i like this kids upside, how he develops is up to him. How bad he wants an nhl job. I have a hard time understanding how some flyer fans got down on Hextall and thought his plan was not working. Some of his trades are head scratchers, but I believed in his plan from day 1 and supported his plan all along.

Reactions: Larry44

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thanks for all the info you provide us North Americans appleyard.i like this kids upside, how he develops is up to him. How bad he wants an nhl job. I have a hard time understanding how some flyer fans got down on Hextall and thought his plan was not working. Some of his trades are head scratchers, but I believed in his plan from day 1 and supported his plan all along.

I think he can be a good 3rd liner down the line.

Good defensively, very tenacious, plays all three forward positions. Great shot, solid skills and good skater.

Also has decent size. Listed at 181cm and 84kg by Swedish NT this week.

So 5'11.5 and 185lbs.

I imagine he is a favourite to be on the WJC team for Sweden next year. In the recent u-19 games (this week) he was being used on shut-down line.

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anything over 6'0 190, which is probably where he'll end up, is more than enough if a player has the attitude to forecheck.
Raffl has filled out but he wasn't the biggest guy when he came over (elite prospects lists him at 6'0 194, not sure what age that was).

Lyksell doesn't turn 19 until August, so it's reasonable to see him fill out a bit more.
If he turns out similar to Raffl with a better shot, that's a heck of a 6th rd pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Anything over 6'0 190, which is probably where he'll end up, is more than enough if a player has the attitude to forecheck.
Raffl has filled out but he wasn't the biggest guy when he came over (elite prospects lists him at 6'0 194, not sure what age that was).

Lyksell doesn't turn 19 until August, so it's reasonable to see him fill out a bit more.
If he turns out similar to Raffl with a better shot, that's a heck of a 6th rd pick.

I mock you for your obsession with size - for good reason - but it will be interesting to see how the future of the league goes with regard to size. People are generally growing much bigger, on average, than when I was a kid. I notice it when I stand or walk next to some of the European girls at the university. There aren't very many of them, but they are tall, and that got me thinking about this. Anyway, as people are getting bigger, the league is also moving away from contact, relative to what it used to be like, so it will be interesting to see how players, and the game, change as those two opposing factors evolve further. It will be interesting to see whether or not there will be more smaller guys making their way in. It will be super interesting for the people at NBCSN if these smaller types are from Cherry Hill, too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Raffl was ~6'2 and over 200lbs when he came to North America tbh.

Just the NHL never updated his listing from when he was ~18 in Austria for some reason.

Leksands had him at:

187cm and ~200lbs.

In his last Allsvenskan season. Which is 6'2 and 20olbs.

He was listed a bit bigger at the Olympics in 2014 too. 6'2 and 205lbs.

The best way to show how absurd Raffl's listing is is just search 'Raffl Grabner'. They are best buds and loads of photos together off ice. 6'1 listed Grabner is clearly at least an inch shorter than 6'0 listed Raffl...

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mock you for your obsession with size - for good reason - but it will be interesting to see how the future of the league goes with regard to size. People are generally growing much bigger, on average, than when I was a kid. I notice it when I stand or walk next to some of the European girls at the university. There aren't very many of them, but they are tall, and that got me thinking about this. Anyway, as people are getting bigger, the league is also moving away from contact, relative to what it used to be like, so it will be interesting to see how players, and the game, change as those two opposing factors evolve further. It will be interesting to see whether or not there will be more smaller guys making their way in. It will be super interesting for the people at NBCSN if these smaller types are from Cherry Hill, too.

Size peaked last decade and has declined slightly, probably due to the new rules putting more value on speed with the cut back on obstruction.

However, I'm seeing the game change again where teams want fast checkers to harass smaller forwards and mobile defensemen.
So it's probably reached an equilibrium where we won't see big slow players, but we're not going to see a greater number of fast smurfs either. Too slow and you're left behind, too small and there are too many bigger players who can skate these days.

The ideal size/weight for most players is probably a range from 5'10 190 to 6'2 210.
Bigger guys have to still be mobile, see Myers, Morin, Sanheim, even Hagg (he can skate, it's skating with the puck that gives him trouble).
Strome may be marginal, but guys like Ratcliffe can fly.

Good forecheckers should be faster than average and slightly stockier than average (what's a Canadian farm boy to do, HIT SOMEBODY).
You saw what Raffl and Laughton could do, I'd like to see NAK (5'10 200+) on their RW wrecking havoc on the forecheck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because he's a smart defensive forward being used in a checking role for his WJ team.

And you can't blame that on Hextall.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In the recent u-19 games he was being used on shut-down line, according to Appleyard.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Why does that mean he plays like Raffl or is physically like Raffl?

Konecny played a 4th line checking role at the WJC. I always said my comp was Raffl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad