Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick #143: Samuel Ersson, G, Västeräs (Allsvenskan)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
You would have to think, while it's amazing that he did so well last year, and if he does so again, and if Hart pans out (which I think he will), I'm guessing Ersson would be trade bait? Because if both are good, I'm sure you can only keep one. Sorry, just always something like this on my mind when you have a log jam for goalies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You would have to think, while it's amazing that he did so well last year, and if he does so again, and if Hart pans out (which I think he will), I'm guessing Ersson would be trade bait? Because if both are good, I'm sure you can only keep one. Sorry, just always something like this on my mind when you have a log jam for goalies.

That's a good problem to have and several years away.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If Ersson & Hart hit it gives you flexibility. Think Washington when they had that run there of Varlamov to Neuvirth to Holtby. Not just trade related but it also helps in contracts.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Goalie assets, without NHL track records, are pretty difficult to get solid returns on. If we run into this issue and need to make a trade, we likely will not be thrilled with what we get back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's similar to Hart's first month in the AHL, slow start, then he gets used to the speed of a higher level league.

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
Glad i picked up this kid in my keeper league. Him, Husso, and Blackwood. 1-2 of them are bound to be starters one day :nod:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The normal pattern is for the backup goalie to spend a couple years starting 25 or so games, then get traded to a team willing to gamble they can start.
So first these kids have to win a backup job before we can worry about a logjam.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The normal pattern is for the backup goalie to spend a couple years starting 25 or so games, then get traded to a team willing to gamble they can start.
So first these kids have to win a backup job before we can worry about a logjam.

I mean, the Caps had it and it all turned out well...

Holtby, Neuvirth, Varmalov, Grubauer.

Nice problem to have if it transpires like that.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, if it's not career ending, at most it just delays his NA appearance by maybe a year.
With Ustimenko, Sandstrom, Malek, Fedotov and Ross in the pipeline, a blip, not a disaster.
Ersson is behind Ustimenko and Fedotov right now, and Sandstrom may rebound while Malek showed there's still hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad